Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So 32 and 28. If you'd like, go ahead and pick the third. I'll buy it blind and figure out how to incorporate it later. Will be more interesting that way.

I like 26 all around. even though ive been using 28 a lot lately 26 is still my go to for most bare coil and fused clapton builds. The thinner gauge wire just allows for more complex builds to still fit in post holes

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also "picking up a third wire size", I remember saying I was going to do that. That didn't last to long LOL. I'm still not setup with all the wire I want.

I did get in some Nichrome 80, 250' of 34ga/100' of 26ga and 250' of 28ga Kanthal today. More in the mail.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That was easy... 26.

I do have 26 and 28 Ti, but they're for my wife's TC coils. Don't want to think about those for the RDA builds quite yet.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also "picking up a third wire size", I remember saying I was going to do that. That didn't last to long LOL. I'm still not setup with all the wire I want.

I did get in some Nichrome 80, 250' of 34ga/100' of 26ga and 250' of 28ga Kanthal today. More in the mail.
The way things escalate, i dont think we ever will be. I think im gonna buy stock in temco industries...

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1bd0b385a589b3b08bc555ae07e70286.jpg
put the 28/33 sfc's i built yesterday in the velocity replacing the 26/33 sfc's. Much better vape off of these. .27 ohms running at 65watts. im thinking about pulling them out to run a staging wire but would that drop the resistance too much?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
1bd0b385a589b3b08bc555ae07e70286.jpg
put the 28/33 sfc's i built yesterday in the velocity replacing the 26/33 sfc's. Much better vape off of these. .27 ohms running at 65watts. im thinking about pulling them out to run a staging wire but would that drop the resistance too much?

Drop a wrap off each instead

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drop a wrap off each instead
Yep... Thanks, brought it down to .22
Drills are charging so building will resume tomorrow. gonna retry those 28/40 aliens and maybe even the 33/40 multicore aliens

BananaSammiches

Member For 4 Years
First time messing around with nichrome80 wire.
Specs: 2x24gN80 fused in 34gKA1. 8 wraps at 3mm, ohms in at .15.
Overall, I don't know how to feel about the nichrome wire. Took more wraps to hit my target resistance, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. All in all, I was hoping for a much faster ramp-up time, and while it does seem quicker, it doesn't seem like a huge difference. Flavor is absolutely top notch, though. I will probably be experimenting more with nichrome in the future when I have more of it, lol.

Attachments

• 20151230_230331.jpg
    20151230_230331.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 27

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Which clone is that? I had a Capt. Ape Derringer clone for about 30 minutes before I trashed it. It was a piece of shit. They're sending me another one, and said they checked it out first to make sure there are no problems with it.

Which clone is that? I had a Capt. Ape Derringer clone for about 30 minutes before I trashed it. It was a piece of shit. They're sending me another one, and said they checked it out first to make sure there are no problems with it.
I honestly don't remember, sorry. I haven't had any problems with it, save the tiny center post hole being a tease for quad 24g

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Tobeco one is the best clone, and then the one on FT with all the Top caps with it, the other clones have broken on me the first build (from center pins to posts breaking off)
Tobeco Clone Link
FT Best Clone Link
My Tobeco Derringer (Higher Quality Materials and Clean Machining:
22K/24K/28K Twisted
Mesmorizing Build.jpg
FT Clone I Modded, I cant find my pic with all my Derringers in it, I have around 8 of them...I bought the 5 cap set and then the bases and sleeves for the extra caps off FT.:
Drilled Derringer .jpg Drilled Derringer.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Has anyone bought or tried the Stro Mini? Ive seen the V2 of it and then I searched for the V1 since it doesnt have the Freakshow Airflow on the V1. It looks like it could be a awesome RDA since it has the Velocity Deck but has a Slightly Taller then Derringer Top Cap....Could be a great flavor and builder rda...
stro-mini-sacred-mods%20(1).png

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Eight ply 0.8x0.1 ribbon, 24g frame, 44g wrap. Messed it up trying to fit it into the TM clone. Shoulda pre-fit the legs. Also shoulda used either 20 or 22 gauge for the frame.

View attachment 37070
View attachment 37071
It looks like if you only did 4 wraps it would have fit perfectly...its too bad that looked like a perfect build in the first pic. I know how much work it is to make them and then see them warp when installing them and its saddening :oops::(
That Stro Mini Clone for $10: Here

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
its too bad that looked like a perfect build in the first pic.
Thanks, but if you look closer, I think it would have been better off with either 20 or 22 gauge frames.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks, but if you look closer, I think it would have been better off with either 20 or 22 gauge frames.
Maybe, if you wanted the sides even with the Ribbon, or you could have reduced the amount of .8 ribbon in the build to compensate. I think it would be better with the 26 and maybe 4-5 ribbon cores, it wouldnt heat up as hot or fast but I think it would be a great build for a short rda and only help flavor intensity out.
Note: Didnt realize it was vertical for the ribbon until it was pointed out...Ive never had good results when using vertical cores and wrapping a coil, has always warped

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ive never had good results when using vertical cores and wrapping a coil, has always warped
Same here, but I was like "Fuck it", I wanted to make it work. The 0.5x0.1 is a LOT easier to work with than the 0.8x0.1 pictured above. I also just ordered some 0.4x0.1 last night.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Same here, but I was like "Fuck it", I wanted to make it work. The 0.5x0.1 is a LOT easier to work with than the 0.8x0.1 pictured above. I also just ordered some 0.4x0.1 last night.
This is how Ive done it everytime since I couldnt get them to work vertically:
4 x .3 Ribbon, 26K Frames, Wrapped in 40N60:
4 x .3 Ribbon, 28K Frames, Wrapped in 40N60.jpg
4 x .5 Ribbon, 26K Frames, Wrapped in 40N60:
4 x .5 Ribbon, 26K Frames, Wrapped in 40N60.jpg
I like to Flatten it to wrap easier afterwards (32N80 Outer Wrap on this Build):
4 x 26g Core Flattened 24g Frames 32g Staple Build (Slightly Flattened)  .jpg 4 x 26g Core Flattened 24g Frames 32g Staple Build (Slightly Flattened) .jpg

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone bought or tried the Stro Mini? Ive seen the V2 of it and then I searched for the V1 since it doesnt have the Freakshow Airflow on the V1. It looks like it could be a awesome RDA since it has the Velocity Deck but has a Slightly Taller then Derringer Top Cap....Could be a great flavor and builder rda...
stro-mini-sacred-mods%20(1).png
I almost bought that last week. 3fvape has some good deals on them. Instead I got a double vision and an indestructible. See how those go. Still might pick up a stro though.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is how Ive done it everytime since I couldnt get them to work vertically:
4 x .3 Ribbon, 26K Frames, Wrapped in 40N60:
View attachment 37078
4 x .5 Ribbon, 26K Frames, Wrapped in 40N60:
View attachment 37075
I like to Flatten it to wrap easier afterwards (32N80 Outer Wrap on this Build):
View attachment 37076 View attachment 37077
I had some major problems with building my first framed coil. The framing would not stay on the outside of the twist of 30x40k. I was using a paperclip even to keep it flat but it would not stay separated. Any tips on doing framed when not using ribbon?
I almost bought that last week. 3fvape has some good deals on them. Instead I got a double vision and an indestructible. See how those go. Still might pick up a stro though.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You guys think the clones are bad...

I'm still pissed my authentic mad hatter mini decided to shit the bed one month after getting it .....

The center pin no longer stays in one direction, it rotates when I tighten the screw down... authentic!

Matt

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm still pissed my authentic mad hatter mini decided to shit the bed one month after getting it .....

The center pin no longer stays in one direction, it rotates when I tighten the screw down... authentic!

Matt
The only authentic rda that I have is my freakshow. While the tolerances on the fit are tighter than all my clones... it is too tight. It was super tight to get the barrel off of the deck when I first got it, but now it is so tight that I have to push to hard to get the top on. I'm going to have to use some fine sandpaper to open it up a tiny bit to make it come on and off more easily.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Matt
I love clones, I own just as many clones as I have authentic gear and some of the clones are better made then their authentic counterpart...like the Crius...
If you buy a clone and get one thats between 15-40 then your getting a high quality clones...

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I love clones, I own just as many clones as I have authentic gear and some of the clones are better made then their authentic counterpart...like the Crius...
If you buy a clone and get one thats between 15-40 then your getting a high quality clones...
Before this velocity I haven't owned a clone in a year or so. You would think the authentic wouldn't do THAT though.

Matt

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First rda I got was my velocity mini clone from fast tech. The deck if great and the grub screws are solid. The only thing that sucks is the barrel, or chamber, doesn't stay on. It is super loose. I have even put bigger one rings on but that didn't help. I need to get some even bigger ones. Also, the air flow adjustment is so loose that if you are walking around the house, it moves. I am thinking of using Teflon tape to hold it in place better but just haven't done it yet.

EndDetour

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Internally staged twisted core fused Clapton? @1.6ohms
2-26awg wires, 2- 4-strand 32awg twisted cables, and 1- 6-strand 36awg cable make up the core, claptoned in 40awg. All nichrome. Delicious warm vape. Nonexistent ramp time.
96167e81effd33c9950c3aac5970eba3.jpg
c3d30ead8cea9f3d10f27297a2e08bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Internally staged twisted core fused Clapton? @1.6ohms
2-26awg wires, 2- 4-strand 32awg twisted cables, and 1- 6-strand 36awg cable make up the core, claptoned in 40awg. All nichrome. Delicious warm vape. Nonexistent ramp time.
96167e81effd33c9950c3aac5970eba3.jpg
c3d30ead8cea9f3d10f27297a2e08bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That had to be fun to keep in order while you wrapped it!

I will call this, Tank Track!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm having a hard time finding twisted stainless steel wire.

I was really surprised by this considering how good a single ss wire can be.

I know that twisted stainless 2 piece isn't really keeping within the geek level theme of this thread:) but if anyone knows, it's you guys.

2 piece twisted 28 gauge stainless.
Why can't I find this? Does it exist? Where do I get it??

I tried twisting up some myself kinda manually without tools. And that came out semi ok.

TIA guys.
I only ever see twisted kanthal. I have always just twisted my own. I did it many many times until I got it right. What issues are you running into with twisting it up?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The only SS I have is 28g 430 grade, so I figured I'd try it. It's pretty springy to coil, but twisting it with a drill was pretty easy. I doubled the wire, and put one side in an eye hook in the drill, then the other side I twisted together and put into an eye hook I have attached to a pole (this is also where I attach my swivels when I need them). Then, just keep it rather taut and spin away to your desired tightness. Here's a couple pics of the coils. They vape surprisingly well @ 80 watts.

DSC_1030.JPG
DSC_1034.JPG

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only SS I have is 28g 430 grade, so I figured I'd try it. It's pretty springy to coil, but twisting it with a drill was pretty easy. I doubled the wire, and put one side in an eye hook in the drill, then the other side I twisted together and put into an eye hook I have attached to a pole (this is also where I attach my swivels when I need them). Then, just keep it rather taut and spin away to your desired tightness. Here's a couple pics of the coils. They vape surprisingly well @ 80 watts.

View attachment 37109
View attachment 37110
I only have the same stainless... 28 gauge 430. It is very springy when coiling. I found that when I made that fused Clapton for my aromamizer. As soon as I pulled the coil out to wick... Boing! It was fun coaxing it back into the deck after wicking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You can wick a vertical coil while it's installed, contrary to what his highness the honorable Rip Trippers says. I just twist the end of the cotton and pull it through from top to bottom. Then gently pull the wick from the bottom with pliers. Snip off the excess, and fan out the bottom of the wick to cover the juice holes. I like to leave about 3mm of wick coming out of the top of the coil and fluff it up to keep the juice flowing all the way through the coil.

EDIT: Happy New Year! The clocked turned to 12:01 while I was typing this. :D

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can wick a vertical coil while it's installed, contrary to what his highness the honorable Rip Trippers says. I just twist the end of the cotton and pull it through from top to bottom. Then gently pull the wick from the bottom with pliers. Snip off the excess, and fan out the bottom of the wick to cover the juice holes. I like to leave about 3mm of wick coming out of the top of the coil and fluff it up to keep the juice flowing all the way through the coil.

EDIT: Happy New Year! The clocked turned to 12:01 while I was typing this. :D
I will def try this next time! Happy New Year everyone!

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wait... Might rip said you can't? How does he purpose you do it? I have never not done it the way crazy explained...

What is he TEACHING Over there!!!

Matt

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wait... Might rip said you can't? How does he purpose you do it? I have never not done it the way crazy explained...

What is he TEACHING Over there!!!

Matt
I had to go watch the you tube video of it when crazy said that. Build the coil, get fitment in the deck, remove coils, wick, install coils again, juice and enjoy. That is how I have done it because I could never pull the wick through without pulling it all apart. I always Scottish roll and that packs it in there. I can try again since I have been doing this for a few more months than I had when I last tried. I have increased my coil building skillset somewhat since last June! Haha

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had to go watch the you tube video of it when crazy said that. Build the coil, get fitment in the deck, remove coils, wick, install coils again, juice and enjoy. That is how I have done it because I could never pull the wick through without pulling it all apart. I always Scottish roll and that packs it in there. I can try again since I have been doing this for a few more months than I had when I last tried. I have increased my coil building skillset somewhat since last June! Haha

Don't cut yourself short there pal, you've gotten far better.

It seems... Reasonable. I never did it that way so it's just different. It's the whole "iteo wick" method that people talk about that you shoot for regardless. After watching the way Ray Scottish roll wicks his, I realized I pretty much wick it that way normally too. I normally just make it work. A little bit of finagling with it but it works out for me ;)

Matt

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't cut yourself short there pal, you've gotten far better.

It seems... Reasonable. I never did it that way so it's just different. It's the whole "iteo wick" method that people talk about that you shoot for regardless. After watching the way Ray Scottish roll wicks his, I realized I pretty much wick it that way normally too. I normally just make it work. A little bit of finagling with it but it works out for me ;)

Matt
Thank you on that! Being apart of this thread, you can't help but elevate build skills!

I have stuck with the Scottish roll since I tried it and have never gotten a dry hit unless I'm using high vg and too much power to the coil.

Only other way is when I wick vertical and pack the outside. Then I split in half and make the outsides the middle and wrap the coil. Works well doing that for me. That is the only way I could keep from getting dry hits in my Crown RBA.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes I'm here Christmas craziness has kept me away for a bit but I'm back lol
086f1bd7525b329c37b0635f95ee00ce.jpg
a64380207ffdd4003a0f29687078992a.jpg

This was my second fused Clapton I have 13,000ft of 37 gauge SS so I can start making SS claptons I can't wait because I'm loving SS lately.

Sent from the iPad in the basement of vapement

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm having my dna200 made right now so then I'll really be able to have some fun!!! I was so busy I actually had to buy coils which I haven't done in like 4 months but being a single mom of a 4&5 yr old I felt like the last month I've been running around all crazy but I've been watching trying to get some ideas I will be tackling the alien tomorrow

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Do you roll the wick tighter on both ends as you're pulling it threw I've been using 30g Ni200 which is pretty damn soft and I've had pretty much no issues but stick what works for you just a suggestion.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is the best cotton I've come across and IMO it's made my building so much easier
fb3e22e109c755009fc5ab8c30b23843.jpg
ba5ed74dc46dbb893c068a30cb223b08.jpg

VU Sponsors