Become a Patron!

Post your builds

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery...
aa7529d9aab855705626354f85ff33d5.jpg

You're welcome scarecrow...

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Haha thanks!! That's pretty much what my first 100 ft of alien wire looked like, so keep at it!! One thing i've noticed is that for me, it always comes down to something stupid. The angle you hold the wire when feeding it to the cores, the way you have the drill sitting, the way you put your cores in the chuck. They all seem trivial, but changing something slightly has always made a big difference for me. Experiment a bit, you're one little trick away haha

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Super clean, and beautiful. Awesome build as usual.

I got an ultrasonic for Christmas so I'm excited to do some polished builds now that I have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir! I use my ultrasonic cleaner for everything. Drip tips, attys, mech mods, coils-i throw it all in there haha. I disassemble my mechs once a week and toss em in there, cleans the threads good as new. Sorcery i say!

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha thanks!! That's pretty much what my first 100 ft of alien wire looked like, so keep at it!! One thing i've noticed is that for me, it always comes down to something stupid. The angle you hold the wire when feeding it to the cores, the way you have the drill sitting, the way you put your cores in the chuck. They all seem trivial, but changing something slightly has always made a big difference for me. Experiment a bit, you're one little trick away haha
Its the 40ga thats killing me. I can do 26/32 aliens all day but the 40n80 is so tempermental. There was one area where i messed up and put too much tension and lost control of the wrap and one part where my hand got stuck and jacked up the angle but at the end i had the drill full bore with no issues but i ran out of wire

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Will become a beast with these soon. Gonna use 28ga frames next time and try to dual it out
8x.4mm cores twisted26ka1 frames heilxed with 36n80 (g*****n mouthfull) 4 wrap 3mm ID at .16ohms
I can't hit it at 4 volts without coughing
3641f43009a72ae6b01f29cb73815b17.jpg

c7fe1d333bc79bbf564d47af32c575c2.jpg
cbb345146ade0fb46731f0928c12ea65.jpg

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

wr3ckin_it

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Will become a beast with these soon. Gonna use 28ga frames next time and try to dual it out
8x.4mm cores twisted26ka1 frames heilxed with 36n80 (g*****n mouthfull) 4 wrap 3mm ID at .16ohms
I can't hit it at 4 volts without coughing
3641f43009a72ae6b01f29cb73815b17.jpg

c7fe1d333bc79bbf564d47af32c575c2.jpg
cbb345146ade0fb46731f0928c12ea65.jpg

sent from a dumb operated smartphone
That's 5 wraps bro, and try helixing it following the curves, diagonally instead of straight across. Might make it a little easier next time. Looks killer tho

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Awesome lookin' aliens ya got there!

but my camera didn't like the light in the room.
I bought "natural light" LED bulbs for my room specifically to take coil color pics at night. They help, but your best best for full color effect is to take pics of the colored coils in natural sunlight. There is a huge difference.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome lookin' aliens ya got there!

I bought "natural light" LED bulbs for my room specifically to take coil color pics at night. They help, but your best best for full color effect is to take pics of the colored coils in natural sunlight. There is a huge difference.
Thanks its taken forever!! Actually that's the exact lights I have and my camera just hates them lol. I always build at night so I never get sunlight but it is the best

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Gear101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I have an idea, fishing spindles and ribbon wire. After I stack up five pieces and tape off both ends, take about a foot of sacrificial wire, starting with about an inch, sending it right through the ribbon next to the tape on the inside. Then wrap it back over the tape, using a short clapton to anchor that end. With the remaining end, make a loop for the swivel to attach to the ribbon, bring that loop back and clapton it to the ribbon, closing it off. So that might secure multiple stacked ribbon wire to do staples. Only down side, I can think is the sacrificial wire might twist and break. So might try this with a thicker wire or a different type all together, or someone might have aready come up with this and it's old news.... LOL

Gear101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Or maybe stick the swivel into the end of the stack and clapton over the first joint of the swivel. Thinking

Gear101

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Something like this, but someone might aready be doing this, not sure. Just drinking coffee today. Off to work I go.

Attachments

• 20151230_082256.jpg
    20151230_082256.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 25
So I have an idea, fishing spindles and ribbon wire. After I stack up five pieces and tape off both ends, take about a foot of sacrificial wire, starting with about an inch, sending it right through the ribbon next to the tape on the inside. Then wrap it back over the tape, using a short clapton to anchor that end. With the remaining end, make a loop for the swivel to attach to the ribbon, bring that loop back and clapton it to the ribbon, closing it off. So that might secure multiple stacked ribbon wire to do staples. Only down side, I can think is the sacrificial wire might twist and break. So might try this with a thicker wire or a different type all together, or someone might have aready come up with this and it's old news.... LOL
Cut your ribbon twice as long as you want, double it over the swivel. You won't be able to do odd numbers, but even will work fine. Just like most people do fused claptons.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Dual alien build in the twisted messes 28k/38n80 2.4mm id. I have to say this is the creamiest vape I've ever had even though the resistance is pretty high at .18. They colored nice thanks to @scarecrowjenkins but my camera didn't like the light in the room.
81dd87b72cdb705075ae172ff51c9a73.jpg

Really close to the airflow
a134b0f5c2a16d42daa5b056206384ad.jpg

c6dc6e0af972006e408f833df806fed9.jpg

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
Gorgeous! You could always run a single strand of 28g parallel to that to knock the resistance down a little. Or shorten the leads a bit, but .18 is exactly what i get out of that same coil :D

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First build with my new velocity rda!!

At first... I was thinkin... that is one long ass pull on that RDA! HAHAHA Then I realized it was in slow motion!

What build are you running in your Velocity?

How much are you loving the Velocity? It is still my favorite RDA. Between that and 13 Heavens, the Velocity still wins and flavor and clouds. The 13 Heavens is very close though. When I close that down it builds up with flavor.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The simplest way is to just loop the ribbon through the swivel. Say if you want an 8 piece core, take 4 pieces that are twice as long and slide it through the loop on the swivel and bend it back over itself. I take a few drops of juice and wet the ribbon to help it stick to itself, then just bind both ends with a little bit of 36g. Works real well!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Its the 40ga thats killing me. I can do 26/32 aliens all day but the 40n80 is so tempermental. There was one area where i messed up and put too much tension and lost control of the wrap and one part where my hand got stuck and jacked up the angle but at the end i had the drill full bore with no issues but i ran out of wire

With 40/42g i hardly stretch the outer wire. Its such a soft wire that it stretches itself when you wrap it. I also hold the wire about 8 inches away from the cores while i feed it on and let the drill do most of the thinking haha

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With 40/42g i hardly stretch the outer wire. Its such a soft wire that it stretches itself when you wrap it. I also hold the wire about 8 inches away from the cores while i feed it on and let the drill do most of the thinking haha
Yep. I think i found my sweet spot on the last inch and a half. About 6" or so away and almost directly above the core wire as opposed to running parallel with the tabletop as i do with every other build

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
With 40/42g i hardly stretch the outer wire.
AHA! :D

I've had nothing but tangled wire and many wasted feet trying to do 40+ gauge alien wraps. This makes perfect sense. Thanks!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My go-to build. Specs: 2x 24g fused in 34g, 6 wraps at 3mm, reading .15 ohms.
RDA: Alliance V2
Mod: Lavabox DNA200
Nice!

I just got my lavabox and trying to get it all figured out today. So far the TC mode is blowing my xcube II out of the water! Still trying to figure everything it and fine tune my build's settings.

If you have any tips for this mod, pm me please!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Gonna need some practice with this one. I tried it and ended up with only 3/4 of an inch of decent alien. :eek:

3x26K/40N

2015-12-30 14.27.39.jpg

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What gauges are those? I can do aliens just fine in the "standard" gauges. This 40+ gauge is whoopin' my ass!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some Framed Multi-Core Spaced Aliens for my parallel box. Hopefully i'll drop em in tonight, i'll edit this to include some additional shots if i do.
d3add8bfd87cb2d4f2e1f1358dbff9e6.jpg

20x40G N80 framed in 28G kanthal, wrapped in 38G N80
Ω's unknown

eef83422ba2736b11ddbb9fda70d3c63.jpg

Gonna have to run a parallel wire, they ohmed out at .25 for the pair

Last edited:

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you sir! I use my ultrasonic cleaner for everything. Drip tips, attys, mech mods, coils-i throw it all in there haha. I disassemble my mechs once a week and toss em in there, cleans the threads good as new. Sorcery i say!
Do you use the cleaning solution? Or just soap/water in one and other rinse

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First off... Thank you @CrazyChef for posting up that screenshot of Wire Wizard. I now use that... Thanks a bunch.

Second... I know I need to get an ohm reader. Especially building for series..

Third. I made some duals for the noisy cricket today.

Here's the ramble about the build, photos at the bottom..

So I looked on the wire Wizard to see how big these coils would need tto be to hover around .4 ohms. 9 wraps of a fused clapton should have yielded .46 oms -- but wire Wizard was unclear whether that was single or dual, I found by using other things it would/SHould be duals...

"Awesome!" So I got to work. Cranked out more than enough of the clapton - started wrapping. They actually looked so great before installing. After they still did. At this point I'm thinking "wow, these things will vape AMAZING."

Put the velocity on the IPV to fire them up and work out the hot spots before I just stick it on the noisy cricket and forget it.

Initial reading was .17
... "Shit."

Well, let's roll with it. Let me say these coils took A LOT of effort to get heating up evenly. Like... Wow. In the process of making them heat even - the aesthetics of the coils suffered. "Bummer, and I didn't take photos beforehand. Oh well."

Ohms out to .35 now, awesome.

"Awesome!!!"

Get them on the noisy. Dry fire - they heat up real quick. "SWEET!"

Got them all cottoned up. Wicked, juiced.

I just got home from work when I set on these coils. Ad just picked up some I Love Donuts by Mad Hatter. A quick in and out at a B&M I've never had the best flavor out of this juice - but 30ML will do me until the 2nd of the year...

Wicked up - top cap on, of course photos were taken. Fire it up. WOW!!!!

I mean.... WOW!!!!!!! WHAT a pleasant vape! Yeah, it's warmer than usual builds of mine. I like it.

But the FLAVOR is just .... WOW! I've never experienced flavor like this before. I am in love.

Moral of the story - what a bitch. Aesthetics ruined. Vape is top notch. Ohms out a bit lower than I had hoped for on the noisy cricket. But it works out and I'm not fearing my batteries, then can handle it.

BrattVapes is HAPPY!!!!

PHOTOS::):):):):)

c83d6859fe332d410f7ea3bd713ebc6c.jpg

ff8eec108c5c50b60062cbd6fb098c07.jpg

aa9913d290f42834d414d0309469fd31.jpg

Matt

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moral of the story - what a bitch. Aesthetics ruined. Vape is top notch. Ohms out a bit lower than I had hoped for on the noisy cricket. But it works out and I'm not fearing my batteries, then can handle it.

Matt
Dude, they're still pretty clean.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dude, they're still pretty clean.

Thanks man! The important part is how they vape, and by that measure these are the best coils I've made to date. Wow. Amazing. I am tasting things in this juice I've never experienced before..

Matt

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks man! The important part is how they vape, and by that measure these are the best coils I've made to date. Wow. Amazing. I am tasting things in this juice I've never experienced before..

Matt

Fused claptons are the bomb. I whipped up some 28gN80/36gK1 dual fused claptons for a vertical Aromamizer build earlier today. Crappy pics, but they taste great at .27ohms. I'm loving this Aromamizer so much, I hardly drip anymore, and was dripping 24/7 the last 2 months before it arrived.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451531232.172821.jpg

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Those look great @VapeRN I definitely want to get one of them tanks. Looks to be what I've wanted a tank to be all along, and probably the main reason the only tank I have is a crown.

Matt

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Criticism here please. I'll start below.
28g, twisted, 3mm, 7 wrap, .5ohm. They're burning really even.

Coil 01 28g Twisted.jpg

Coils usually last me more than 6 months, so this is my vaping weak point. First twisted wire, first use of a Coil Master jig, first coils on a big-boy RDA. Wotofo Lush, versus my 3-year-old clone. Interesting air flow, bigger nic hit.

--The coil at the bottom of the pic is bowing out a bit.
--For the second coil to go in... I knew I'd have a hard time cutting the wire on the second middle post, so I built them a little high and close. Because there was still a little wire peeking out, I had to back off the coils a bit.
--The positioning of these are what ended up happening to make them burn even. Too close to the cover now.
--Not centered well. So the cotton is a little cramped on two of the four sides. I'll have to rewick and see if I can reposition them without forcing an uneven burn.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Criticism here please. I'll start below.
28g, twisted, 3mm, 7 wrap, .5ohm. They're burning really even.

View attachment 36997

Coils usually last me more than 6 months, so this is my vaping weak point. First twisted wire, first use of a Coil Master jig, first coils on a big-boy RDA. Wotofo Lush, versus my 3-year-old clone. Interesting air flow, bigger nic hit.

--The coil at the bottom of the pic is bowing out a bit.
--For the second coil to go in... I knew I'd have a hard time cutting the wire on the second middle post, so I built them a little high and close. Because there was still a little wire peeking out, I had to back off the coils a bit.
--The positioning of these are what ended up happening to make them burn even. Too close to the cover now.
--Not centered well. So the cotton is a little cramped on two of the four sides. I'll have to rewick and see if I can reposition them without forcing an uneven burn.

Twist looks nice, hammer those suckers flat next time and you got the bone yard coil.
As for critique, you may wanna go down a size for your inner diameter so you can be sure you're not gonna short out on the deck. For your legs, test fit them then take them out and clip to the necessary length before tightening them down that way you dont have the excess getting in your way. Lastly, when you do install your coils, make sure to leave whatever rod you used to wrap them in the coil when tightening down the screws, that'll prevent the ends from "bowing out" and then you can position your coil without distorting the wrap.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Exactly what schmucko said..

I usually build a 2.3 mm ID.. It fits most builds in an RDA no issues, is big enough to put a good amount of cotton (or force a Scottish roll of more cotton in) but you don't have so many clearance issues.

A big thing I have always done is leaving my ID tool (screwdriver, whatever you're wrapping your coil on) in the coil while the legs get put in, and tightening the coils down with the screwdriver in it still. Makes sure your coils don't distort while the screws start to grab. Especially with twisted and other builds with more than one wire per coil. They like to move around and get all screwy.

As he said as well, test the leg, pull out, trim a little off, test again. repeat until you don't need to back it out to maintain a good and equal distance from center. I'm on my way out, but can go more in depth here shortly.

Matt

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@LostHasher
Also, dont be stingy with your wire. Stuff is pretty cheap if you know where to look so i have no issue wasting some wire to get the build perfected. Make extra of whatever you decide to build so you can play around with diameters and wrap counts. At some point you just kinda automatically know what its gonna ohm out to and whether or not it'll fit in your deck. Most importantly, stick with it. Its gets frustrating at times but its a fun hobby in itself. Plus you have frickin wire geniuses (present company excluded) in this thread who are more than happy to give feedback and advise

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Round three on the Aromamizer. This time went for a TC build. 28 awg 430 ss cores wrapped in 40k. I did 8 wraps on 2.5mm ID to fit between the posts. This is coming in at .41 ohms. After building the coil and seeing it fit in so well and seeing where is ohmed out at, I know I can do this same build, add a wrap, and double it so that I can run dual coils again and still come in with a build that will work on this deck and my mods.

Going to have to run this on my xcube until I program this into my lavabox.

5d60108c0c69915e495496cd134e2004.jpg
91d3a8f9d2f694ca1ba77a680c56de08.jpg

Time to get her juicy and break her in. Let everyone know how this one turns out.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Round three on the Aromamizer. This time went for a TC build. 28 awg 430 ss cores wrapped in 40k. I did 8 wraps on 2.5mm ID to fit between the posts. This is coming in at .41 ohms. After building the coil and seeing it fit in so well and seeing where is ohmed out at, I know I can do this same build, add a wrap, and double it so that I can run dual coils again and still come in with a build that will work on this deck and my mods.

Going to have to run this on my xcube until I program this into my lavabox.

5d60108c0c69915e495496cd134e2004.jpg
91d3a8f9d2f694ca1ba77a680c56de08.jpg

Time to get her juicy and break her in. Let everyone know how this one turns out.

Ha! At least im not the only one (you know what I'm talking about)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Twist looks nice, hammer those suckers flat next time and you got the bone yard coil.
As for critique, you may wanna go down a size for your inner diameter so you can be sure you're not gonna short out on the deck. For your legs, test fit them then take them out and clip to the necessary length before tightening them down that way you dont have the excess getting in your way. Lastly, when you do install your coils, make sure to leave whatever rod you used to wrap them in the coil when tightening down the screws, that'll prevent the ends from "bowing out" and then you can position your coil without distorting the wrap.

My Boneyard Variant:
Boneyard Coil.jpg

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So this little coil gets hot fast. I changed to watt mode and have it at 38w. It is doing well here. See how this goes. Or it on my lavabox. Just had to do it!

b74815bf8a9443a5c83f9f844cfa1310.jpg

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Also, dont be stingy with your wire.

Got 250ft of 32g... burned through at least 100 ft messing around with straightening and twisting.

Goal is to get two more gauges of Kanthal that will work for most single wire/twisted builds and maybe a stray clapton down the road. Won't have time for anything else. I see 28g mentioned a lot on this thread, and it just worked pretty well for those coils I just posted.

So 32 and 28. If you'd like, go ahead and pick the third. I'll buy it blind and figure out how to incorporate it later. Will be more interesting that way.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Criticism here please.

If you use a step mandrel or a screw driver with a shoulder on it you can center the coils a lot easier, Like everyone has said leave your mandrel in the coil when mounting it. I leave the legs long and barely tighten the screws down on the wire then push sideways in order to center the coil then you can remove it or clip the legs to the length you need. This will center the coil for you and keep it uniform shape.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got 250ft of 32g... burned through at least 100 ft messing around with straightening and twisting.

Goal is to get two more gauges of Kanthal that will work for most single wire/twisted builds and maybe a stray clapton down the road. Won't have time for anything else. I see 28g mentioned a lot on this thread, and it just worked pretty well for those coils I just posted.

So 32 and 28. If you'd like, go ahead and pick the third. I'll buy it blind and figure out how to incorporate it later. Will be more interesting that way.

If you plan to use the 28 then I would go 34 minimum for clapton. If you want to use the 32 I would go 26 for the core minimum. Not to say you cant do it with the wires closer in size but pushing the sizes further a part helps.

VU Sponsors