Become a Patron!

Evolv 1 upping Yihi

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
holy shit where are the mods at?

i feel bad for anyone that comes here looking for info on this device. this thread is a trainwreck.

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Both of you need to grow up.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have done nothing of the sort and news flash, the battery requirement of the DNA 200 is a hot topic every where so why would it not be discussed here in this thread?

Grow up!

There's a good reason the battery tech for the DNA200 is a hot topic, it's the only board that's purpose built to use 4 separate power sources with different requirements for each. And it handles them all in a safe and effective manner. You keep talking about LiPos and seem to forget the DNA200 can use other power sources and battery tech. And the board is programmed to handle each of the different power source choices in an appropriate and safe manner.

If you have a LiPo phobia, fine... use one of the other power source choices. The choice of what power source you are going to use is for you to decide.

Just out of curiosity @raqball , how do you feel about LiFeP04? Does it make your face tingle just thinking about how it might blow you face off, or are you OK with that alternate power source? And do you have any other objections to the DNA200 other than the power source, or is the tech interesting to you and given the right power source would you be likely to give it a try?

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
holy shit where are the mods at?

i feel bad for anyone that comes here looking for info on this device. this thread is a trainwreck.
The DNA 200 threads everywhere are like this...

People have strong feelings about Evolv's choice. Add to that, there are a lot of people who have a very bad taste in their mouth when that chip is mentioned... Evolv screwed a shit ton of people...

You think this thread is bad, jump on some of the FB groups...

I didn't really mind this thread until the name calling, mis-quotes and word twisting started..

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And do you have any other objections to the DNA200 other than the power source, or is the tech interesting to you and given the right power source would you be likely to give it a try?

Thank you for a rational response!

I probably would not have an issue with the DNA 200 IF it worked with a single 18650 or a single 26650 at lower watts of course..

Other than their battery choice to power it, what's their not to like? The software / firmware upgrade ability alone would be worth it....

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried several times I left the thread for 3 days and Dr G still can't let go.

Can we at least get the motherfucker first?

Come on now, there's no way dr g would be saying anything even remotely negative about an Evolv product. :p

Single/dual 18650 version of the chip is when I start to get interested though.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Come on now, there's no way dr g would be saying anything even remotely negative about an Evolv product. :p

Ahhhh knew someone would get it!!

From what I understand 4-6months hopeful for November to December, nothing promise but that's the estimate I've heard in the rumor mill.......

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Is that the person username? I'll have to get on ECF and look for him..

I've been on their since 2009 and use to go their frequently until recently and I've never heard that name before...

To ECF I go for a usename search.. Guess what I find will determine my level of offense taken.. LOL

Edit: Crap can't view profile, say's moved on... :(

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So you come here and treat us like shit to make it ok?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok like shit may be a stretch

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry about putting you on the stop my man..
I just thought I had missed something somewhere

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
But hiw many requests were made to get past the battery?
How many other scenarios were brought up. Ie other board, power options.
Its fine, maybe I'm the only one that wants to now the products other capabilities.to ensure I want it to give it whack

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sorry about putting you on the stop my man..
I just thought I had missed something somewhere
No I've had a shifty fuckin day and was hoping to talk about something fun instead I get cycle argument about something that has an easy answer, the told what I have is not high end. like I vape on crap gear.... whatever?

Done with the battery shit. at this point I just want a fucking camel, non-filter

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No I've had a shifty fuckin day and was hoping to talk about something fun instead I get cycle argument about something that has an easy answer, the told what I have is not high end. like I vape on crap gear.... whatever, didn't realize the thread for the elitist only.
ddf648d57f0900973638c490c6f46169.jpg

Don't worry buddy I did too..
I had almost 2000 pounds of magazines try to crush me today.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Fuck dude that sucks big time.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah shitty planet decided to break on me but I made it out. Although my lift will be out for a day or two.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That really sucks
We had a printer crash, a switch break, on top of an abnormally large number of desktop foul ups, the my truck wont start on top of meeting with jack asses

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That really sucks
We had a printer crash, a switch break, on top of an abnormally large number of desktop foul ups, the my truck wont start on top of meeting with jack asses
It always sucks when a vehicle won't start. I'm sorry to here that my friend

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
yeah it does especially in the hot ass rain when you're waiting for a tow and a cab.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok here's my questions
the snow wolf and yihi mods seem to be able to do everything the evol 200 can do except this pc software to configure the device.

SO if that is the case, the snow wolf and yihi mods can do it with 2 18650s. Why does the dna200 require 3 18650s or different power sources to do the same thing?

And please dont think I asking why only make it work with the power source choices they chose. The question is, is there a special reason to require 3 18650s versus what other boards are doing with 2

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ok here's my questions
the snow wolf and yihi mods seem to be able to do everything the evol 200 can do except this pc software to configure the device.

SO if that is the case, the snow wolf and yihi mods can do it with 2 18650s. Why does the dna200 require 3 18650s or different power sources to do the same thing?

And please dont think I asking why only make it work with the power source choices they chose. The question is, is there a special reason to require 3 18650s versus what other boards are doing with 2
My guess is that it will be using a buck converter instead of a boost, and it will require a higher input voltage to then regulate it down to the desired level. It puts less strain on batteries and helps with battery live compared to boost chips.

That's just my opinion though. It's the only reason I could see why the input voltage would have to be 12 volts.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
My guess is that it will be using a buck converter instead of a boost, and it will require a higher input voltage to then regulate it down to the desired level. It puts less strain on batteries and helps with battery live compared to boost chips.

That's just my opinion though. It's the only reason I could see why the input voltage would have to be 12 volts.

so what your saying is its trying to achieve the same results doing it differently and that should increase battery life. But that seems silly to me. If they did things the same way and required 3 batteries the battery life would be increased any way. SO if this is about battery life, the dna200 would have to offer double or more the battery life of the snow wolf or yihi mods when used at the same wattage

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ok here's my questions

The yihi tops out at 150w
Snowwolf automatically goes into pulse mode at 150 or 151w the dna200 is supposed to keep thr true dc-dc flat signal up to 200w rather than have pulse. The accuracy of certain yihi boards and the snowwolf has also been questioned. Which in my mind is an unfair comparison with the DNA since it has obviously yet to be scoped; but historically it has been dead on. As previously stated the buck circuitry would also be a reason as well as being stable down to a 0.03?(supposedly) In tc mode allowing for a more readily available current to prevent any other issues.

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That is correct. When using a buck chip the signal stays as a constant DC out put. In theory it should be more accurate if it is firmware is tuned in correctly.

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
so this is basically evolv going
"ok YIHI and all you others out there. You have had your fun. If the market wants 200w TC NI200 and Ti, then we will make it. And we will do it the right way"

so this i less about battery life and more about reaching this ridiculous 200w more accurately and safely? Basically evolv is stating that to get these wattages out of a device correctly and safely, they believe the best way to do that is to require 12v power sources

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so what your saying is its trying to achieve the same results doing it differently and that should increase battery life. But that seems silly to me. If they did things the same way and required 3 batteries the battery life would be increased any way. SO if this is about battery life, the dna200 would have to offer double or more the battery life of the snow wolf or yihi mods when used at the same wattage
The reason is that a 2S battery configuration using any current battery technology would not be able to safely produce 200W. A foil pack lipo could be used but those higher C rated packs are the ones that have a tendency to fail catastrophically. A mid C rated lipo pack or 18650's IMR/INR cells in a 3S configuration are capable of 200W safely. The 3S configuration is what has made this whole lipo debate pointless. In a 2S configuration at the rated 200W I wouldn't use it either, as a 3S why not.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That or the third cell giving it more run time.
I rarely ever vape above 90w or below 35.
My typical adv is 38-40. At times ill go 70-80. So 120 and up is of no use to me. But having the additional run time without swapping cells or charging will be welcomed.
But I agree they fell victim to the dick slinging. That said they had to do something to save themselves. I know for myself I went from fanboy to writing them off after the dna40.
Im specualting here but I think as a business move- its showing they'll do it and releasing something more practical after.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The reason is that a 2S battery configuration using any current battery technology would not be able to safely produce 200W. A foil pack lipo could be used but those higher C rated packs are the ones that have a tendency to fail catastrophically. A mid C rated lipo pack or 18650's IMR/INR cells in a 3S configuration are capable of 200W safely. The 3S configuration is what has made this whole lipo debate pointless. In a 2S configuration at the rated 200W I wouldn't use it either, as a 3S why not.

Amen

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so this is basically evolv going
"ok YIHI and all you others out there. You have had your fun. If the market wants 200w TC NI200 and Ti, then we will make it. And we will do it the right way"

so this i less about battery life and more about reaching this ridiculous 200w more accurately and safely? Basically evolv is stating that to get these wattages out of a device correctly and safely, they believe the best way to do that is to require 12v power sources

The DNA200 is basically the dick swinging test bed for the tech most likely, with the probability of everything except the power and battery requirements trickling down to more common single/dual battery setups in the near future.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The DNA200 is basically the dick swinging test bed for the tech most likely, with the probability of everything except the power and battery requirements trickling down to more common single/dual battery setups in the near future.
That is what will bring it from gimmick to usable...

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I said this before, but I'll say it again. The DNA40 was criticized heavily for only being 40watts when the competition like the Sigelei 100 and 150, or the IPV3 or 4 were much higher. So Evolv listened and said OK, if you really want power we'll give it to you and give it to you safely. But remember, this mod will go lower than any of those other mods (down to 1watt) and do it accurately. So 1watt to 200watts accurately, unlike most of the other mods that are only accurate in a small wattage range. Then they took it a big step further and allow mod makers the ability to hard cap the wattage at whatever they want. If a mod maker only wants a 100watt device they can configure the board to do that... and that is not reconfigurable by the user. It is a hard cap on that device.

Add in all the other tech, mod configurability, data acquisition features, mod memory programming for complete feature sets (8 available configuration presets), user upgradability, and many more features and yes it's groundbreaking vape tech. This ain't your daddy's mech mod.

That Evolv decided to go for the big guns first (and most likely the smaller lower wattage devices later) was a decision based on wanting to make a statement and bring a feature set that will dictate the direction a lot of mod makers will build on in the next year I think. I find this exciting, but I really understand the folks that are uncomfortable with coming out of their narrow, comfortable mod world that they understand. Human nature dictates people are resistant to change. Fortunately for the intrepid vapers, we are about to see a whole new world of accuracy, features, power, safety and vape customization. For the non-intrepid, just sit in the grandstands and watch for a while. The less robust choices will be coming I'm sure.

I'm really excited about this and look forward to seeing how this changes the vaping world going forward, as it surely will.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ten mins till I can put in my cloudmaker dna200 preorder in :) I'm one of the 500

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ten mins till I can put in my cloudmaker dna200 preorder in :) I'm one of the 500

I'm jealous, I have 2 board sets on the way but have to wait until they get here to do a final fitting (and any needed adjustments) before I can make my mod and start enjoying the DNA200. Let us know your thoughts when you get it. It will be good to start getting feedback from non beta testers when the mod hits the consumers hands.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't be getting the mod til August I think

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That cloud maker Is a kick ass concept !!!!
Pretty sure I'm goin with the vaporshark mostly because of physical size of the device.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't be getting the mod til August I think

Thanks for the reply Dre, I feel much better knowing I will have my mod before you get yours :p.

Reactions: dre

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The DNA40 was criticized heavily for only being 40watts

No: the DNA40 was heavily criticized for being buggy, unreliable and Evolv for doing jack squat about it.

So Evolv listened and said OK, if you really want power we'll give it to you

No: most DNA40 users didn't want more power (else they wouldn't've bought the DNA*40* in the first place). What they wanted is a device that friggin WORKS PROPERLY.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No: the DNA40 was heavily criticized for being buggy, unreliable and Evolv for doing jack squat about it.

No: most DNA40 users didn't want more power (else they wouldn't've bought the DNA*40* in the first place). What they wanted is a device that friggin WORKS PROPERLY.

So you have never read one of the many posts that said the DNA40 was underpowered and way behind the times as a result. You need to get out from under that rock once in a while bro. I have read many posts that said that.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you have never read one of the many posts that said the DNA40 was underpowered and way behind the times as a result. You need to get out from under that rock once in a while bro. I have read many posts that said that.

Yes, so have I. But I've read 10x as many posts complaining about Evolv's woeful software engineering competences and total lack of communication.

What's more, if someone buys a DNA40 that's clearly advertised as a 40W chip, then complains about lack of power, well... tough titty. I have no sympathy for those who complain about that. However, the chip should've worked properly, and it didn't (not sure if Evolv has fixed the issues now though) and that's ground enough for complaining.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Where are all these threads and people clamoring on about the DNA 40 being underpowered? I can't say that I've ever seen them..

I have no doubt that a few wanted more watts but they are in the minority. On top of that, most wanting that many watts are doing so for cloud competitions and they can't use a regulated device anyway..

I've just not seen the mass backlash against the DNA 40 because it was underpowered..

I hope it's a fine chip for Evolv's sake and for the sake of competition in the regulated market. If Evolv screws this up they are probably done for and I don't think any of us want to see that happen.

At some point IF it does not have issues and IF it ends up working with different battery configurations I am sure I'll snag one..

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The good news is, we're likely to get a somewhat fair review of the DNA200 from Busardo. Seeing how he plugged the DNA40, and how much of a letdown this chip turned out to be for many who bought one after watching his reviews, he'll be careful not to get caught shilling for Evolv too blatantly this time.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just hope there is no ramp up or if there is it can be programmed out

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At some point IF it does not have issues and IF it ends up working with different battery configurations I am sure I'll snag one..
The DNA200 will not work with different battery configurations. Evolve will however introduce scaled back versions for 1S and 2S battery configurations that use otherwise identical technology and software. The DNA200 was developed first because it will be significantly more advanced than similar products offered from China. The DNA67 and DNA133 or whatever they choose to call them already have existing competition that perform at a more than satisfactory level.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The good news is, we're likely to get a somewhat fair review of the DNA200 from Busardo. Seeing how he plugged the DNA40, and how much of a letdown this chip turned out to be for many who bought one after watching his reviews, he'll be careful not to get caught shilling for Evolv too blatantly this time.
I don't really pay much attention to the so called professional reviewers. The paid ones get zero interest from me as do the fanboy / fangirl type reviews.. These reviews always tend to stick out like a sore thumb and are easily spotted..

It's also best to wait about a month or so as many reviews will be posted from people in the honeymoon or purchase justification stage. I hope it's a smash hit for the sake of competition.

I emailed Evolv asking about the future of single 18650 and / or single 26650 comparability. If they respond, I'll post it here.

The DNA200 will not work with different battery configurations. Evolve will however introduce scaled back versions for 1S and 2S battery configurations that use otherwise identical technology and software. The DNA200 was developed first because it will be significantly more advanced than similar products offered from China. The DNA67 and DNA133 or whatever they choose to call them already have existing competition that perform at a more than satisfactory level.
Happen to have an official statement or comment from Evolv stating this? Sorry but even if they did say it, I won't believe anything they say until they prove it and it's proven to work.. I'm still trying to get that bad DNA 40 taste out of my mouth..

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you VU for the ignore feature

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you VU for the ignore feature

Good grief man grow the fuck up.. That was over and done with yesterday but for some odd reason you continue on with this juvenile garbage and decided to drag it on into today... SMH!

Are you going to keep acting like a 5-year-old who is still upset that his brother got one more french fry than he did at dinner last night for the foreseeable future?

Anywho... Now a little humor into the mix..

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Good grief man grow the fuck up.. That was over and done with yesterday but for some odd reason you continue on with this juvenile garbage and decided to drag it on into today... SMH!

Good freaking grief~!

Anywho... Now a little humor into the mix..

Just following your lead dude---I see you post that same thing once or twice a week.
Love the self portrait..

Now- I am going to do my adult job and be a productive member of society whole you trash talk me some more.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I put your dumb ass on ignore 2 days ago.. I didn't post about and I damn sure didn't bring it back up today for no reason and out of the blue..

You must be one of those constant attention seekers.. I know the type(s) well ---> Woe is me, feel sorry for me, show me some attention... I get it now..

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I put your dumb ass on ignore 2 days ago.. I didn't post about and I dam sure didn't bring it back up today for no reason out of the blue..
Again going to work and quoting this for the record..... You put me on ignore 2 days ago and still felt the need to carry on yesterday ??????? The day after I was put on ignore????

Stop with the contradictions and grow Dr G.

I have to go be a big boy and make money for my family....
Have a nice day :)

VU Sponsors