Become a Patron!

Evolv 1 upping Yihi

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks like a winner if the MSRP is competitive.

EditedMushroom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wonder how long it will be until someone can get one to test out. There's already a 200w TC mod out there with the Snow Wolf. But I've got a feeling that this will be superior.

Here's to hoping for no screen glitches.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hopefully Evolv learned from their mistakes sending out defective crap with the DNA40. I guess it's wait and see, but I suspect Evolv will be charging a kings ransom for the board.

EditedMushroom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hopefully Evolv learned from their mistakes sending out defective crap with the DNA40. I guess it's wait and see, but I suspect Evolv will be charging a kings ransom for the board.

You might be right about the price. The DNA40 is only 60 bucks or less for just the chip if you find the right vendor. It's usually the mods that I see having the ridiculous price points. Only time will tell.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
$60 for just the dna40 board???

let me think on that. $60 plus box, buttons,batteries,contacts, soldering etc etc etc

or I can spend $60 on a fully assembled, 50w tc device that everyone is loving and has a 5k mah battery.

This is the problem with the industry.

I dont know the economics over at evolv. Maybe at 60 they are breaking even.

I mean they did get it right making it firmware upgrade able They gave it room to grow with 200w. I mean no one needs 200 watts but maybe one day we will. They did make it Ti capable. You can screw with the setting through your computer. This thing SOUNDS fantastic.

But the price point is going to kill them. Im sure some will buy mods with this board in it for prices exceeding $300 just to have one. But these cheap boxes like the evic vt are what are going to eat up the market share. Of ocurse that is after the backwards engineer the new boards and figure out how to do it slightly different and for a lot less

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I'm betting China already has 200w boards with firmware being programmed for Titanium, Nickel.

probably.

I am not even sure why we need to play with the board settings or need 200w. And just cuz its firmware can be up[graded doesnt mean they will make an update to do what you want, or the hardware will be capable of doing what the next new thing is

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
with my RDA builds, the highest I go is about 85watts. My HexOhm v2 and Sig 150 do a wonderful job. Who the hell will use TC at those wattages? I surely won't.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

For sure, they will need to compete with Yihi's offering. However, the ability to plug this into your computer via usb and program it yourself might be pretty cool though.

As Phil says "I've seen the software, and blown away by it. you can analyze everything, you can adjust everything, and customize everything". If this works out, you will get what you pay for.

Camaro parts.jpg

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Most vapers don't need 200w, in fact most don't even need 100w. I think evolve has their work cut out to regain the trust of the vaping community. The new evic vt is going to be hard to beat. Though it's only a 60w device, that's more than enough for most people. It functions extremely well and has a built in 5000mah battery. Though I generally only buy mods that have removable batteries, I dare to say the evic vt handles TC better than any device on the market right now, including the Sxmini m class, and I have 2 of those

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If Brandon would have kept the same form factor did a DNA 80 watt TC and worked out the bugs, improve customer service.
SOLD....Their name recognition with the sales pitch from Phil P.

This x100.

All they needed was the DNA70 with the new features and the bugs fixed.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This x100.

I agree. No one is going to vape temperature control coils 200 Watts. How no one is going to even use 100 W for temperature control. For the most part, people who are using that much power are cloud chasers and don't use temperature control coils. Just give us a reliable board that is user upgradable , has a titanium mode and goes up to 60 or 70 W

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This x100.

57928114.jpg

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Evolv is screwed either way
200 seems over board, the software cofiguring sounds cool but we dont know if it is needed or really useful

If they went with 70 or 80 watts and fixed bugs and added ti support and even upgradeable firmware
people would have bitched and said why didnt they make it 100,150,200?

The problem is evolv is know for INNOVATION. They are trying to one up yihi. Yet Joytech already did based on the reviews of the evic vt. When you can get the TC that works great in a compact device that works and looks great and packs 5k mah for $60, how can you innovate when your board alone costs the price of a complete mod.

To me for this board to be worth the $60+ price point it would need everything it has already, plus TC for Kanthal, plus built in charging, plus be able to fit in to any evolv based mod now, so you can basically upgrade your dna40 mods, plus more, something new, something noone else has even mentioned doing that matters

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Evolv is screwed either way
200 seems over board, the software cofiguring sounds cool but we dont know if it is needed or really useful

If they went with 70 or 80 watts and fixed bugs and added ti support and even upgradeable firmware
people would have bitched and said why didnt they make it 100,150,200?

The problem is evolv is know for INNOVATION. They are trying to one up yihi. Yet Joytech already did based on the reviews of the evic vt. When you can get the TC that works great in a compact device that works and looks great and packs 5k mah for $60, how can you innovate when your board alone costs the price of a complete mod.

To me for this board to be worth the $60+ price point it would need everything it has already, plus TC for Kanthal, plus built in charging, plus be able to fit in to any evolv based mod now, so you can basically upgrade your dna40 mods, plus more, something new, something noone else has even mentioned doing that matters

Couldn't have said it better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Question does current battery technology even support 200 watt vaping?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This will be interesting. I already want an iPV3 Li, my 3 is definitely a superior device to my 4, just no TC. Regarding usb link to a computer, we need to see what OS's are supported. More importantly, the software needs to be well designed and intuitive. That's where companies tend to screw things like this up. If it's clunky, and or unstable, you still have the device and board, but shitty unusable software. I don't know Evolve's background in that area, if they don't really have one, that's a concern to me. Even well established computer and software companies put out software that's a complete mess, so Evolve doesn't have my trust. I need to see to believe.

I plan to wait it out for a bit on more hardware. I lol at myself for typing that, but I've been collecting mods, and fallen behind on tanks. Vaping my Kayfuns feels like the Stone Age. I'd rather get some more RDA's and some arctic tanks. I vaped one at a shop last weekend, and me likey. I'm gonna let others guinea pig this, it will be out of my price range anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure, though.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Read @st0nedpenguin s post, it will need LiPo or 3 18650s. And yes, other mods have been around for a bit that already push that. How safe it is depends on the batteries. 200w would probably drain 3 18650s damn fast. LiPo doesn't seem to be ready quite yet for this application, from my understanding.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

It's going to need lipo (which I wouldn't trust) or 3, 18650 batteries. The mod will have to be huge to accommodate that.

Give me all those features in a 60-80 watt mod and I'll consider it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think it will probably be competitive, vape gear is getting cheaper all the time it seems.
True, but I can't see these being put in Chinese mods, at least not initially. Even the HCigar DNA 40 devices are pricier than what Sigelei and P4Y put out. There's a premium for Evolve, and naturally anything made in the U.S. Will be more expensive. I hope you're right, though.

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Read @st0nedpenguin s post, it will need LiPo or 3 18650s. And yes, other mods have been around for a bit that already push that. How safe it is depends on the batteries. 200w would probably drain 3 18650s damn fast. LiPo doesn't seem to be ready quite yet for this application, from my understanding.
Yeah I use LiPo's with my quadcopters. I not sure it's a technology I want to vape with.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The 200w is for those that dont use tc i presume.
This mod will probably be over 250 bucks.
Evolv tech is pricy and the modders that use it are even pricier.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think at 200 watts that your coil would come up to temp real fast and you would have a very short vape.

If your doing TC with titanium, it heats up super fast as it is. titanium requires less wattage than nickel. With my evic vt, it only takes about 15watts to get to 450degrees on a single coil, but the ni200 requires close to 30watts for the same temp.

Hopefully this device handles TC similar if not better than the evic. The evic is less like temperature limiting and more like temperature control. It has you set your temp and max watts and then applies whatever wattage it needs to get to and keep you at that temp. All the max watts does is not let you exceed that setting. It's basically the complete opposite of how the dna40 chip works. I'd like to see that in the new DNA chip

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The 200w is for those that dont use tc i presume.
This mod will probably be over 250 bucks.
Evolv tech is pricy and the modders that use it are even pricier.

But if your not going to use temp control, why buy a temp control device? Just go buy a sigelei and let us temp control people have our mods at a cheaper price

Heldar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But if your not going to use temp control, why buy a temp control device? Just go buy a sigelei and let us temp control people have our mods at a cheaper price
Because variety is the spice of life. Just because i want temp control doesnt mean i wantto be tethered to just temp control. Options are always better, and a mod with enough power to do whatever the fuck i want, when i want it to, is a winner in my book. Even if i dont use all 200 watts, the options there. I also didnt use all 500 horses in my older modded camaro, but it was nice to know i could, if i wanted.

raqball

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can care less about 200 watts.. I hope these board manufacturers come back to reality and stop with this garbage.. What's next 1000 watt boards?

I'm more interested in user available software updates like the SX chips have than insane watts for blowing clouds.. Yo clouds bro is a fad that will fade just like all the others before it..

I have not really looked into the new Evolv board but the only interest to me is if it's user software upgrade able.. I've never once vape above 25 watts and can care less about yo clouds bro..

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Adding TC ( or more accurately temp limiting ) to a device really doesn't add much cost to making the chip. Look at the SX Mini... same cost when released as it is now with TC added, the Vaporshark rDNA 30w cost about the same as the 40w when released, the Vaporflask is another example. The lower end TC mods are slightly higher than their counterparts without but not by much and I suspect that is more from a value add and not a production cost caused issue.

Questionable quality control for the DNA 40 aside, Evolv sells products that are made in USA and that tends to result in higher prices.

That does not only apply to Ecigs but to just about anything that people buy when they pay attention to where something is made. There are probably plenty of pet owners here who can attest to that (prices for made in America dog treats can be outrages).

To me that also applies to the mods that use the Evolv boards. Is the price for a vaporshark a bit high? Yes, but it is made in America. Buying the vaporshark contributes to the paycheck of an American worker and the company pays taxes in America.

The debate over Evolv vs Chinese made boards is bit like comparing a Mercedes to a Toyota (or a Lexus if you look at some of the higher priced Chinese mods).

Both are good cars in their own right. Both have plenty of "fans". As a core function they both do the same thing, but they are not identical. They each have their pros and cons and in the end people buy what suits their needs and meets their extractions.

It's good to have choices. Both Mercedes and Toyota are successful companies, servings different parts of the market.

Just my two cents.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The debate over Evolv vs Chinese made boards is bit like comparing a Mercedes to a Toyota (or a Lexus if you look at some of the higher priced Chinese mods).

Not argueing with the analogy... just stating that Toyota is Japanese not Chinese ... the analogy stands despite that

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not argueing with the analogy... just stating that Toyota is Japanese not Chinese ... the analogy stands despite that
How about Mercedes vs. Volvo. More comparable cars, and Geely owns Volvo. Geely is a Chinese company. ;)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I thought I had read somewhere that it does 70w in single battery mode. If that's the case slap one in my vsdna and sing zippity do dah all day long.
It'll depend though if you can take the ramp up out. The dna30 did not have it.

Plus if you can 'adjust everything' whose to say you cant make it 100w or 150w with 2 18650s?

sounds Like the goal was to make It what you want,

I wonder if it will compete with assolo

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So many companies now purchase from other companies in other countries for parts they use... it may not even be fair to say many products are just from one country or another now.
I know, was just providing a better example. Essentially everything tech related has parts sourced from likely multiple countries. Hell, clothing too. Globalization is the only way all of our tech toys, etc... Are actually priced within reach of the everyday person. I have no problem with it.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Questionable quality control for the DNA 40 aside, Evolv sells products that are made in USA and that tends to result in higher prices.

That does not only apply to Ecigs but to just about anything that people buy when they pay attention to where something is made. There are probably plenty of pet owners here who can attest to that (prices for made in America dog treats can be outrages).

To me that also applies to the mods that use the Evolv boards. Is the price for a vaporshark a bit high? Yes, but it is made in America. Buying the vaporshark contributes to the paycheck of an American worker and the company pays taxes in America.

Both are good cars in their own right. Both have plenty of "fans". As a core function they both do the same thing, but they are not identical. They each have their pros and cons and in the end people buy what suits their needs and meets their extractions.

It's good to have choices. Both Mercedes and Toyota are successful companies, servings different parts of the market.

Just my two cents.
Apple phones and computers are made in China and their stuff is not cheap.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Very true, and if they were made in the U.S., they'd be a lot more expensive. Foxconn makes electronics and assembles products for almost every reputable and quality company. Apple uses LG, or Samsung panels in there devices. You can actually use the serial number to check for some stuff, I think my MacBook Pro has an LG. I've had it as my sole computer, beside my ipad, since 2008, it still runs like a champ.

Gotten kinda off topic here, point is, Evolve I assume will be using these chips in expensive U.S. Devices at least initially. Just my guess, their recent partnership with HCigar suggests that they'll find there way to China, but the DNA 40 HCigars are still overpriced, IMO.

It's really getting ridiculous, has been for a while, how much this industry just pumps out something better or at least newer almost weekly. As much as I like the innovation, I'm starting to tire of it, so is my wallet, but that's ultimately my fault. I'd like more time used for QC, and thus more reliable (one would hope) devices. As long as people like myself, and quite a lot of us on this forum keep giving them our money, the cycle will stay the same. Innovation and advancement is usually good though, so it's a double edged sword.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My understanding is hcigar is using refurb boards via a third parry supplier

Maybe the boards innokin intended fpr the coolfire iv?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
11415330_917675901613708_5811070031342048335_n_zpsdnpqhzu9.jpg

The VS is using 3 user serviceable lipo batteries

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally i think sigelei is garbage, popular as they may be.
Furthermore, there is no temp xontrol device, that i know of. Just a bunxh of devices with temp control feature as an option. So if you want a a device thats exclusive to this feature, you can either make one or convince a modder to do it.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can care less about 200 watts.. I hope these board manufacturers come back to reality and stop with this garbage.. What's next 1000 watt boards?

I'm more interested in user available software updates like the SX chips have than insane watts for blowing clouds.. Yo clouds bro is a fad that will fade just like all the others before it..

I have not really looked into the new Evolv board but the only interest to me is if it's user software upgrade able.. I've never once vape above 25 watts and can care less about yo clouds bro..
Tc is another fad, still in opening stages since its still not even 100% what it could be, in theory.
You should make your own device, one that doesnt have the power to blow "clouds bro". I guarantee you it wont sell. Its a consumers market, cloud chasing is where its at, naturally all the big timers have to serve the population with what the majority wants, not what a few forum whiners want.

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tc is another fad, still in opening stages since its still not even 100% what it could be, in theory.
You should make your own device, one that doesnt have the power to blow "clouds bro". I guarantee you it wont sell. Its a consumers market, cloud chasing is where its at, naturally all the big timers have to serve the population with what the majority wants, not what a few forum whiners want.

Evolv seem to have been doing fine so far without selling absurd power cloud chasing devices.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Your right, but apple products aren't expensive because of manufacturing costs, their high because of the cost of R&D and because they can charge whatever they want, and apple fans will pay it. The manufacturing cost for Apple to upgrade an iPhone from 16g memory to 64gig is $6, but they charge $100 more for the 64gig iPhone 6. And in previous models like the 5s, is was a $200 difference. Why, because we'll pay it

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No we won't.
Apples are for target practice and role playing teacher/student

VU Sponsors