Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Speaking of BB keys, what are you all using to screw/unscrew yours?

I have been using a US 1-cent penny, but would love to find something with a 2-3" handle or stem that would work (like to keep on a keychain), that also is not as long as the handle on the 7" long tweezers, which is too bad since the round end of the tweezers fits the key pretty nice

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
NP.. You might even find some graphite rod or tube.
I may have an old wooden broom handle like 1.25" dia that I can chop down, shape smooth, and then cut a slot for the coin, and then super-glue it in.

I found also, when trying a nickel coin in the key just now, that it fills the slot in the key nearly edge-to-edge, whereas a penny has a little wiggle room. I prefer the nickel since it feels more secure, and the arc or radius of the nickel's edge seems to be a better fit as well.

If I get that far^, then I can drill a simple hole for a loop of string or one of those metal-beaded keychain clasp things...

Whatever I come up with I will share photos of the end result, but it may be a few days before I can do anything as my hand problems are acting up today...

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I think I need to let go of the Insider v1, Aspire BVC (not the Nautilus, well, not yet). If any of you guys and/or gals are interested, please let me know.
Sorry to hear that it's not working for you.

Why are you unhappy with it? Maybe we can help?

I've thought about enlarging the juice channels on mine with a dremel or file to help it wick faster, but have not done any hacks to it yet.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to hear that it's not working for you.

Why are you unhappy with it? Maybe we can help?

I've thought about enlarging the juice channels on mine with a dremel or file to help it wick faster, but have not done any hacks to it yet.
I want my BBs for MTL and these bridges have too much air for me. Yeah, I know, I like a very tight draw for MTL and so far the only bridge I found to my liking is the MF. Troy's TPs bring them close to what I like but I figured I'd let someone else enjoy them and I'll just order another MF kit.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whatever I come up with I will share photos of the end result, but it may be a few days before I can do anything as my hand problems are acting up today...
Arthritis in mine, as well - Claws until I make the first tea; they loosen up typing enough for a day at work. Left is about played-out for the day, now.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Arthritis in mine, as well - Claws until I make the first tea; they loosen up typing enough for a day at work. Left is about played-out for the day, now.
Sorry to hear that you have hand issues as well.

My problems is not so much arthritis as it is neuropathy. For me, in the morning two cups of coffee, two aspirin and Sam-E is what brings me back to normal. Also I practice both guitar and ukulele at least 30 mins each every day when I can (been playing guitar for 30+ yrs and ukulele for 5 yrs now as well).

Some days, nothing helps, but if I push through and practice my music, that gets the blood flowing and forces the dexterity to return, I just have to push past the frustration of the disconnect betw fingers and brain. Fretted instruments are both a physical therapy and a cathartic stress reliever for me.

Also, since I work at the computer all day (software), I am typing a lot, sometimes slowly, but once the morning routine takes effect, I am good to go.

I tried various prescriptions and they all had side effects which where wholly unpleasant, so I am more aligned to 'food as medicine' and eating better, as well as have eliminated lots of (bad) things from my diet over the past 12 yrs or so, and that has helped too.

It sucks getting older, but what are ya gonna do?

As DJLSB says 'Vaaaape, on it!" :)

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So the drip tip thing never really crossed my mind. Went looking for that JMK Busto-. Turns out a place local here in Canada carries them. Also turns out the tip is $40 Canadian. :tantrum:
Christ on a bike what have I done got myself into now. :gaah:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the drip tip thing never really crossed my mind. Went looking for that JMK Busto-. Turns out a place local here in Canada carries them. Also turns out the tip is $40 Canadian. :tantrum:
LOL. ...just wait until you start looking for panels and buttons. ....

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm hoping for a Father's Day sale. I'll post here if there are any.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks just like mine. Maybe fasttech will be the only one to carry the DNA 60 usb

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hopefully...FT's listing doesn't show the screen either...and both 3F and FT list them as DNA60s

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saw a set last night in my interwebs travels. $400 or so I thought wasn't too bad of a price for a Billet Box and a set of panels with a button.

Naw son, $400 JUST for the panels. :giggle:
Yea I about fainted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some of these panel prices will make your liver quiver and your bladder splatter. ....:confused:
To charge more than the mod itself for a set of panels is ludicrous. 4DCB makes some beautiful stab panels but not for that kind of money.

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To charge more than the mod itself for a set of panels is ludicrous. 4DCB makes some beautiful stab panels but not for that kind of money.

I'm working with someone now on doing acrilic... Stabwood is also an option he offered. Simple patterns in stabwood might be nice. No idea on cost yet but I'm thinking the acrylics will rrp ~$80/set.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dude on one of the BB FB pages just got the SXK USB-BB in...says and shows DNA60 etc.

Really wonder why 3F and FT not showing the correct screens...maybe a dumb photographer lol

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Saw this on FT:

Replacement Rebuildable RBA Coil Head for Atlantis Clearomizer $2.81

What do y'all think? Is it worth it?

Will it work with the bridge that comes in the kit with the SXK clone, or do I need to buy another bridge? If so, which one?

3773000-1.jpg

3773000-2.jpg

3773000-3.jpg

3773000-4.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011577/3773000-replacement-rebuildable-rba-coil-head-for

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, Ok. Thanks for the confirmation.

I wonder if they ever made a Natilus RBA head?
Yes they did, VVTF. There is a v1 and v2, not sure if they are still available.
There will be a V3 coming out, look at their FB page. Usually they sell on ebay, I didn't find anything just now. Gear Wors....Best shows the v1 to be available in a week or so....YMMV

Last edited:

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok. for those of you with experience with the Nautilus coil heads, I found this on FT, will this work in the standard boro with the Nautilus bridge?

Authentic Aspire Nautilus 2 Clearomizer Replacement Coil Head (5-Pack) 0.7ohm (18-23W) for $8

6925000-1.jpg

6925000-2.jpg

6925000-3.jpg

6925000-4.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009799/6925000-authentic-aspire-nautilus-2-clearomizer

FT does not seem to have the 0.9 Ohm version of the same.
Yup! They will but be prepared to pay with Bitcoin, you will not be able to pay with PP or credit card.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yes they did, VVTF. There is a v1 and v2, not sure if they are still available.
There will be a V3 coming out, look at their FB page. Usually they sell on ebay, I didn't find anything just now. Gear Wors....Best shows the v1 to be available in a week or so....YMMV
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to check some YT vids to see how they are put together and how the build is before going to search for one.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to check some YT vids to see how they are put together and how the build is before going to search for one.
These things are tiny! Roughly the diameter of a #2 pencil. I did manage to put a very small clapton in one.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yup! They will but be prepared to pay with Bitcoin, you will not be able to pay with PP or credit card.
Wow. That's odd. I wonder why that is. I have no Bitcoins as of yet, and kind of side-stepped the whole crypto-currency issue up to now.

When I looked at getting some Bitcoins from one of the exchanges it was difficult to verify if I was going to get scammed or not, since all of it looked really dodgy to me, and my red flags went up (30+ yrs working in IT) but still thought maybe I should have an account somewhere for the 'just in case' scenario. Any recommendations?

Also, seems like if I were to buy Bitcoin via PayPal and then pay for goods with Bitcoin, that I would lose some value as it passes thru the various steps to the vendor. Sort of like currency exchange in the ForEx markets...

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I'd need is to get 6-7 wraps, spaced ~1mm apart, of 26g Kanthal on 3mm ID and I'd be all set.
That will be entirely too big for either rba.
FT has a deal (restriction?) or something with Aspire, but there is a way to sidestep it. You guy something of equal value, pay with PP and a few minutes after the order goes thru, you cancel it. Ask for a gift certificate instead of refund ( I think you may be able to buy a gift certificate at FT now, but not sure) and pay for the coils with the gift certificate.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That will be entirely too big for either rba.
FT has a deal (restriction?) or something with Aspire, but there is a way to sidestep it. You guy something of equal value, pay with PP and a few minutes after the order goes thru, you cancel it. Ask for a gift certificate instead of refund ( I think you may be able to buy a gift certificate at FT now, but not sure) and pay for the coils with the gift certificate.

Well, I could always build a smaller coil, targeting 0.9 Ohms. thanks for letting me know.

After watching some build videos for the v1 and v2, it seems this one is not ideal in the way the screws will trap the wire leads coming from the coil ends, and will be a bit fiddly to build on, even for me.

I will see if I can get to their FB page and look at the v3. Seems like the Exocet and Insider, as well as the Kanger RBA head are much easier to build on compared to this one.

Also, thanks for the info on the FT workaround. I will keep that in mind if the payment issue comes up. :)

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Last edited:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As mentioned before, you can buy the Aspire coils without Bitcoin...just buy something of similar value...cancel it and ask for credit...use said credit towards the coils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are Galaxies DT, and they fit nicely but do not shroud over the top nut. If a nut that fit flush were to be found (how about it @So619Cal ) then they would work perfectly.
Can a standard 510 drip tip be used on BB?
Yes, that's what the above dt are.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They are Galaxies DT, and they fit nicely but do not shroud over the top nut. If a nut that fit flush were to be found (how about it @So619Cal ) then they would work perfectly.

Yes, that's what the above dt are.

Haven't found flush fit 510 adapters...would like just the 510 Adapter...and grind one down...but even that is proving difficult to find.

VU Sponsors