Become a Patron!

White Coconut Cake by Jason

BuckFondue

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my calculator, I raised the percents of Coconut and Marzipan to 1%, and Apple Pie and Almond to .75%. You can go higher if you want. Obviously the VC is the main player here, but the 3.5% of FA adds just enough to change it into something different.
My FA flavors should get here today... I'm going to be running home from work so I can whip this up. Cannot wait.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just pulled the trigger on close to $200 worth of supplies to make this and 10-20 HIC recipes. Feels like a lot of money but I remember when I used to spend roughly that monthly on cigs.

(I'm in the US) E-liquid-mart has 5ml FA samples, ECX has some 10ml FA on sale for $1.99 (sort by price), filled in the holes at Wiz Labs, and lastly bulk PG/VG, wick/wire, and citric acid (4oz $4.99!) on Amazon. All shipping was cheap or free except Wiz Labs. Planning for big orders only from them next time.

I'm so set!

As I wait for my stuff I'm a little concerned that some who like this recipe claim it's a great shake and vape. I've tried many VC recipes and eventually concluded that custard fans don't mind a particular medicinal quality that I have zero tolerance for. Aging for a week helps take that medicinal "bite" away imo and while the custard's usually ok at that point, my palette has never recognized it as "delicious" (or accurate) in any recipes I've tried yet.

TBH I'm not sure why but I was thinking (hoping) this recipe would be an exception to my past experience. Also I need the FA stuff for other recipes. This recipe will be my last college try at mixing cap VC. Countdown one week.

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I also have to steep this recipe. The custard needs it for my taste buds. I started mixing with HIC's, wllmc's, etc, recipes. They are all great mixers, you will like them I'm sure. Good luck and let us know!

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just pulled the trigger on about $120 worth of supplies to make this and a dozen or so HIC recipes. Feels like a lot of money but I remember when I used to spend at least that monthly on cigs.

(I'm in the US) E-liquid-mart has 5ml FA samples, ECX has some 10ml FA on sale for $1.99 (sort by price), filled in the holes at Wiz Labs, and lastly bulk PG/VG, wick/wire, and citric acid (4oz $4.99!) on Amazon. All shipping was cheap or free except Wiz Labs. Planning for big orders only from them next time.

I'm so set!

As I wait for my stuff I'm a little concerned that some who like this recipe claim it's a great shake and vape. I've tried many VC recipes and eventually concluded that custard fans don't mind a particular medicinal quality that I have zero tolerance for. Aging for a week helps take that medicinal "bite" away imo and while the custard's usually ok at that point, my palette has never recognized it as "delicious" (or accurate) in any recipes I've tried yet.

TBH I'm not sure why but I was thinking (hoping) this recipe would be an exception to my past experience. Also I need the FA stuff for other recipes. This recipe will be my last college try at mixing cap VC. Countdown one week.

I shake and vape this. I DO NOT do that with Caps V1. That shit takes forever to set up. The V2 is very different. I actually like it better.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
**For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.**

Just like the name says...

9% Capella Vanilla Custard v2
.75% FA Coconut
.5% FA Apple Pie
.75% FA Marzipan
.5% FA Almond

Jason, thank you for this wonderful recipe! I decided to make an all FA variation of this as my 3rd-ever mix a few days ago. I don't have Caps, so I tried FA Custard instead. Until I get my bearings with the calculator, I'm using drop measurements as gathered here on VU:

FA 10ml bottles - 33 drops = 1 ml
in a 30ml base, 1 drop = .10%
in a 15ml base, 1 drop = .20%
in a 12ml base, 1 drop = .25%
in a 6ml base, 1 drop = .5%
in a 3ml base, 1 drop = 1%.

I made a 6 ml batch (actually, I flavored for a 6ml but actually used 7) and was sparing, very careful--too careful, I think, about adding the drops. Those FA bottles are hard to press and a couple of times I erred on the side of less when I wasn't sure if the drop had actually come out of the bottle or not--which in a small batch might make a big difference. I used 6 drops of FA Custard. Also, this was in a base of 10% distilled water and 90% VG.

The result was good, but relatively weak, even after a warm water bath and two days with periodic shaking. It was definitely creamy enough, and lightly sweet, but I wasn't able to pick out any of the almond or coconut flavors. I also wasn't getting a cake feeling from it.

So, tonight, I added a drop more of everything except custard, proportionally for the 3ml I had left (after necessary extensive vape testing and consideration :)) and now it smells FABULOUS. Adding an additional 1%/1 drop of every flavor seems like it should make it over-the-top, flavor-wise, but to me, it isn't. It's still relatively subtle--at least compared to my experiments with FA Tiramisu and FA Hazelnut, and compared with vendor juices I have tried. I like it very much, but am surprised at the result: still sweet, creamy, now with definite--but by no means over-powering--notes of almond and coconut.

Do you think it's possible the FA Custard in the mix sort of "absorbed" the other flavors in a way another custard wouldn't? Or do you think maybe (assuming you can tell from the way I've described it...I hope it is clear enough) I've gone to the point of "more is less" by using too much flavoring, overall?

I would welcome thoughts from anyone who took the trouble to read this!

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's the thing, the almond and coconut should definitely be noticeable, but by no means be main players. In my mom's homemade coconut cake, it's just a little bit of almond extract, and the coconut works with that to make its own flavor profile. I haven't tried this recipe with FA custard, since it has some citrus notes, and no vanilla. I have a feeling that's why the almond and coconut are not very pronounced. The Caps VC v2 is all about vanilla, and the FA apple pie helps to make it cakey. I just dont think that FA custard would be an acceptable substitute here.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's the thing, the almond and coconut should definitely be noticeable, but by no means be main players. In my mom's homemade coconut cake, it's just a little bit of almond extract, and the coconut works with that to make its own flavor profile. I haven't tried this recipe with FA custard, since it has some citrus notes, and no vanilla. I have a feeling that's why the almond and coconut are not very pronounced. The Caps VC v2 is all about vanilla, and the FA apple pie helps to make it cakey. I just dont think that FA custard would be an acceptable substitute here.

Yes, I think I see what you mean about the almond and coconut being possibly neutralized by the slight lemony-ness of fa Custard. I would not have predicted it, but it is a valuable thing to know about. I suppose then, I might get the same kind of results subbing fa Vienna Cream, since it too has some citrus. Maybe fa fresh cream? But then it would need a sweetener, I'm guessing. I may have to break down and buy some capella custard.

I'm sure it's not as good as the original, but the version I made is acceptable enough for me to happily vape ATM. Thanks again for the recipe & thanks so much for the feedback.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
... Vienna Cream, since it too has some citrus. ...

FA Vienna Cream does not have citrus flavor, but some of us taste a bit of vanilla in it. Vienna Cream is more like an American custard flavor than FA Custard. (No FA flavor is very close to Capella Custard, though)

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lirruping I tried this as written but w/o caps v2. I used 2% FA Vienna cream & 1% vanilla classic. It tasted best after a few weeks I got a light cake taste. I'm ordering caps vanilla custard v2 in my next order. I gotta try the real deal!

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@lirruping, maybe you're thinking of Catalan Cream? I generally get a citrus/boozy flavor from that one. I seem to be an oddball in that, though, lol.

Maybe I was mixing them up, yeah...and mis-remembering the notes I read about fa creams & custard by HeadinClouds. <- thanks for setting me straight on the lemon (not) in V.C.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lirruping I tried this as written but w/o caps v2. I used 2% FA Vienna cream & 1% vanilla classic. It tasted best after a few weeks I got a light cake taste. I'm ordering caps vanilla custard v2 in my next order. I gotta try the real deal!

Daintanee, that sounds like a good idea for a next try if I don't get the capella right away.
I'm planning on letting the remaining 2ml of sit for a few weeks now & we'll see what happens! Maybe the cake-effect will come through after a while. There is enough FA Apple Pie in it (2%) for that to happen, I think!

Zortec2112

Member For 4 Years
I'm brand new to DIY and this was the first recipe I tried...it's fantastic! I followed the recipe exactly and I'm thrilled with the results! It was very good as soon as it was mixed and even better after sitting for a day on top of the Bunn coffee brewer - can't wait to see how much better it gets after a few more days of steeping. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
O M G Yep said I would never stray from FA but I did, in a huge way, and this is what talked me into it. My boy loves this stuff too and he even said "I could vape this all day". So much well deserved praise. Wow man this is incredible. I can't get enough of this stuff. Outstanding! Thanks a lot for sharing this!

stateek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This looks fantastic! Anyone tried it with TFA Vanilla Custard though? Don't have either of Cappella's versions.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I haven't found anything that comes even close to CAPS Vanilla Custard yet.
Or NY Cheesecake & Cake Batter, for that matter.
But, I haven't tried the TFA Vanilla Custard for comparison.
Strange I have 265 + flavors but not this one yet...
Some flavors just can't be subbed, but it's worth a shot anyway.
I really like the original recipe as it is though:D

stateek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess I'll have to give it a shot when I get my order then! I'll be adding Cap VC to my list of things to get though.

I swear to god I just ordered another 60-70 flavours and the list of flavours I still want is already bigger than I like. I thought this was supposed to save money! o_O

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This really does taste like cake! I love this one. I really like it fresh but even better after a week. The more I use caps flavorings the more I like them. This recipe is a good learning tool for the custard, especially when mixed with FA. Hey man thanks again.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I guess I'll have to give it a shot when I get my order then! I'll be adding Cap VC to my list of things to get though.

I swear to god I just ordered another 60-70 flavours and the list of flavours I still want is already bigger than I like. I thought this was supposed to save money! o_O

An old habit becomes a new hobby, but most hobbies aren't very cheap anyway.
Whenever I get a batch of new flavors in the mail, I've already got a new list started.
Trying to limit my spending now to 20-30 monthly, now it has become less costly than smoking.
Initial start-up cost is usually "wow".
Of course I gotta have every flavor "known to man".
Welcome to the Club:D.

gryffandor

Member For 4 Years
I'm just blown away. This is the first recipe I've tried to make. Mixed up a small sample only 3ml of 50/50 6%. Put it in a vibrating tumbler for 30 minutes & gave it a try. The 3ml lasted less than 2 hours. I just couldn't believe how good it tasted. I expect it will only get better with a few days steeping. I just finished making 10ml more to let rest. Thanks Jason for such a great experience. I now have only 18 more recipes I got flavors for to go

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just blown away. This is the first recipe I've tried to make. Mixed up a small sample only 3ml of 50/50 6%. Put it in a vibrating tumbler for 30 minutes & gave it a try. The 3ml lasted less than 2 hours. I just couldn't believe how good it tasted. I expect it will only get better with a few days steeping. I just finished making 10ml more to let rest. Thanks Jason for such a great experience. I now have only 18 more recipes I got flavors for to go
A vibrating tumbler? And here I said just this morning while shaking a new mix that they needed to invent a Barbie paint mixer for that....lol!

gryffandor

Member For 4 Years
A vibrating tumbler? And here I said just this morning while shaking a new mix that they needed to invent a Barbie paint mixer for that....lol!

It's a Lyman Turbo Tumbler that I've had for years. It's normally used to clean ammunition casings. I used a bit of imagination & gave it a try to avoid the hand shaking. The model I have, while not large, should fit at least 20 10ml bottles at a time or 10 30ml. Their readily available & not too expensive. Anything to a avoid work...lol.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heat is in reality more effective than a tumbler - hence the crockpot! People like to use ultrasonic cleaners because you get the best of both worlds - but the difference when we did controlled tests was minimal, and you don't have to keep pressing buttons with the crockpot!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heat is in reality more effective than a tumbler - hence the crockpot! People like to use ultrasonic cleaners because you get the best of both worlds - but the difference when we did controlled tests was minimal, and you don't have to keep pressing buttons with the crockpot!
Just need to invest in glass bottles. 90% of mine are plastic, a crock pot is not their friend...;)

gryffandor

Member For 4 Years

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have both a crockpot & an ultrasonic cleaner. I might agree that in some liquids heat helps molecules mix, but 3 years of Chemistry courses also tells me that aromatics in solution may also be degraded by heat. What I am using is not a tumbler but a vibrator. It is rated at over 8,000 cycles per minute. Those same courses tell me that frequent molecular contact is also a great way to get them to combine. Just saying :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have both a crockpot & an ultrasonic cleaner. I might agree that in some liquids heat helps molecules mix, but 3 years of Chemistry courses also tells me that aromatics in solution may also be degraded by heat. What I am using is not a tumbler but a vibrator. It is rated at over 8,000 cycles per minute. Those same courses tell me that frequent molecular contact is also a great way to get them to combine. Just saying :)

Not at 150 degrees! We did a controlled test some time ago, also measuring nic level, at 150 degrees for 4 hours. However, I never put anything in there with spices (cinnamon, etc). Custard, tobaccos etc do very well.

gryffandor

Member For 4 Years
Not at 150 degrees! We did a controlled test some time ago, also measuring nic level, at 150 degrees for 4 hours. However, I never put anything in there with spices (cinnamon, etc). Custard, tobaccos etc do very well.

Thanks for the info AmandaD. Can you please let me know how you arrived at these results. I'd love to start testing the various steeping methods as well on a variety of flavors.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the info AmandaD. Can you please let me know how you arrived at these results. I'd love to start testing the various steeping methods as well on a variety of flavors.

There's a very long thread over on ECF which details the whole thing, but it was so long ago I'm not sure how fast I can find it :) Basically there was a blind taste test done. A controlled sample (no heat), a sample put in the UC, and a sample put in the crockpot. Blind taste testing was done by a number of people. The most 'matured' flavor turned out to be the one in the UC (with heat), with a slight difference between that and the crockpot sample. Nic levels were also tested before and after.

Hope this helps!

gryffandor

Member For 4 Years
There's a very long thread over on ECF which details the whole thing, but it was so long ago I'm not sure how fast I can find it :) Basically there was a blind taste test done. A controlled sample (no heat), a sample put in the UC, and a sample put in the crockpot. Blind taste testing was done by a number of people. The most 'matured' flavor turned out to be the one in the UC (with heat), with a slight difference between that and the crockpot sample. Nic levels were also tested before and after.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again for your post. From the way you presented your original reply I was hoping it was something that could be quantified so I could repeat it myself. Opinions from a limited number of tasters, I'm afraid, aren't going to help me. Thanks for the input.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks again for your post. From the way you presented your original reply I was hoping it was something that could be quantified so I could repeat it myself. Opinions from a limited number of tasters, I'm afraid, aren't going to help me. Thanks for the input.

You're saying this is not repeatable? This is absolutely something you can test for yourself!

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ghod....jealous of those with decent mixers...I'm fairly happy, just mixing-up the tail-ends of partial bottles, hah hah ! Dark Choch., w/ coconut, from another shop...little Unicorn Milk, w/cinnamon roll, from another shop...

gryffandor

Member For 4 Years
You're saying this is not repeatable? This is absolutely something you can test for yourself!

I'm afraid I have to totally disagree this time. Flavor is always "subjective" to the person tasting it. Just because a small group slightly favored one method over another does not make it so for anyone else. I've been vaping over 8 years & wish I had a dollar back for every commercial, highly praised juice, I & others purchased & hated. You can only randomly repeat a subjective test interpretation.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm afraid I have to totally disagree this time. Flavor is always "subjective" to the person tasting it. Just because a small group slightly favored one method over another does not make it so for anyone else. I've been vaping over 8 years & wish I had a dollar back for every commercial, highly praised juice, I & others purchased & hated. You can only randomly repeat a subjective test interpretation.

Yes, this is my point. This is a test that is easily repeatable by you. You can try it and see what works for you! You may decide it's a load of hogwash - which is fine. But it does give you a starting point - and a leg to stand on LOL Not all flavors benefit from steeping, but some complex mixes (and usually high percentage flavoring) do.

I also spent a boatload on commercial juice that I thought was awful - which is why I started DIY :p This is one recipe that I find markedly improves in the crockpot, but you may find differently (this is using the original Caps vanilla custard - not the V2).

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ghod....jealous of those with decent mixers...I'm fairly happy, just mixing-up the tail-ends of partial bottles, hah hah ! Dark Choch., w/ coconut, from another shop...little Unicorn Milk, w/cinnamon roll, from another shop...
Good ol' Anus Braun. Could a been Anus Brawn, that way everyone'd know you have a strong butthole. Or, coulda been Anus Brown, or Brun if you wanted to go French on it. Either way, kudos on your name. Props. I'm not even kidding. Anus Braun for Mayor of Buttzville, PA! You have my vote, sir.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
'Anus Brown', was actually a name 'given', to some dude, who didn't have a governmentally-acceptable' nomme, some decades back...he didn't even know what an 'anus' was...

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mixed this bad boy up last night. Jumped straight in with a 30ml sample!
Looks like a recipe I'll enjoy a lot, and judging by the previous comments this is a winner.
Thanks Jason and Jason's mother for this recipe :cool:

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I mixed this up last Friday and have it steeping now to get the Caps custard to meld in there all nice nice haha. anxiously awaiting the time when I can fill my tank up with this yummy delightful mix...

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would the V2 Caps custard benefit from steeping also? How long we talking?

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Typically and it is really a matter of preference but anything that I use Cap Van Custard in that has over 5%, I try to wait it out for 14 days or more if I can. This one has me itching already at 6 days hahaha

UncleIronLungs

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh gawd! Someone's going to post 1 month next, I can see it now.
Then if I like it I'll need to mix up another batch and wait another 2 to 3 weeks!
I'll be resorting to some of Hics fantastic recipes up until the due date.
Thanks for the info.

VU Sponsors