Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
00f0d6d2082aed20170858b700e7d084.jpg
bf36de6753232941c914ecb4997328dd.jpg
9d3ab21a5a845bb9bd907bd7d5aa5fd3.jpg

Some baby fraliens for the wake rta
4(.4x.1k)
2(26gK)
35gK alien - 1.1ohm Pre Fire (I think. It was late last night)

Fire/Wick shots soon to come... I have like 2k Feet of 35g that I gotta start using... it just sits there doing nothing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you getting 1.1 ohm coils? :confused: Very clean build man!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How are you getting 1.1 ohm coils? :confused: Very clean build man!

Lol, thanks for correction, I just edited it to be the .11ohms it should have been. Ad thank you very much, I’m hoping my next few will be even cleaner since I’ll have the alien makers and won’t have to stop and go to move the sliders!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Lol, thanks for correction, I just edited it to be the .11ohms it should have been. Ad thank you very much, I’m hoping my next few will be even cleaner since I’ll have the alien makers and won’t have to stop and go to move the sliders!

Out of interest what size alien makers do you use for fraliens?

lovely coils by the way :cheers:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Out of interest what size alien makers do you use for fraliens?

lovely coils by the way :cheers:

Thanks man! I never used the alien makers yet... I actually just got them like an hr ago in the mail. But I got the 26g & 28g (3-4 cores) and 28g wide body (5-6?). I’m hoping for the regular 26 ones I can get 6-8 .4 with 2 26...

I just prepped some wire, 8(.4x.1)/2(28g) and I put the wide body 28 ones on it... I’ll let you know how it goes when I get back from diner later tonight or Tom. Morning if it’s to late.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
They need breaking in quite a bit mate ...I took 3 bits of wire (correct gauge) and just sat there running the wire back and forth for half hour or so on each one watching tv ...if you don’t they won’t run smoothly as you wrap :sad:

Also I only use 2 or 3 at a time not all 6 but you may well have a different experience to me on this :)

Haven’t tried the wide boys yet but ordered some to try. The 3 core ones work pretty well all the time the wire doesnt twist because the swivels can’t keep up ..... I like them

Although I can’t see How ribbon works with them like they say?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They need breaking in quite a bit mate ...I took 3 bits of wire (correct gauge) and just sat there running the wire back and forth for half hour or so on each one watching tv ...if you don’t they won’t run smoothly as you wrap :sad:

Also I only use 2 or 3 at a time not all 6 but you may well have a different experience to me on this :)

Haven’t tried the wide boys yet but ordered some to try. The 3 core ones work pretty well all the time the wire doesnt twist because the swivels can’t keep up ..... I like them

Although I can’t see How ribbon works with them like they say?

Yeah I’m only going to use 2 at a time... and with the ribbon, basically every 4 pieces of .4 is about the size of 1 26g. So u can swap some ribbon for a few round wire and it should work the same way.... same with fraliens, u swap 1 26g for 4 .4 and u dont gotta change up anything.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hmm I’ll have to give it a go thanks mate

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
b89ace7e77924be3b6af5941b8f93aca.jpg

Didn’t wrap them up yet but they are
8(.4x.1k)
2(26gK)
35gK alien

I used the regular 26g alien makers for them and they worked flawlessly for the most part

Fantastic they turned out really well!

thanks mate my ones have 26/28 on the front those ones yeah?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Honestly, I have no idea. Mine were
26g (3-4 cores)
28g (3-4 cores)
28g (5-6 cores)

So if u can fit 4 26g in yours then u should have no issue with 2 26g and 8 .4x.1 ... I just have no idea if he made 2 versions of them and you have the older ones and I have the newer ones.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
lol the claw formation your hand has to make to freehand aliens...i know it well get into the swivels man, its a huge difference once you get your setup figured out. they require a bit of experimentation to find the best ways to set them up, attach your builds etc...but once you do that, they really up your game.
Bahahahahahahaha I look like fucking zoidberg from Futurama

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Because I have to post in every thread
8 strands .3 A-1
Framed with 28 A-1
Wrapped with 40 K D
Used CrazyChef's advice about folding the ribbon, last time I stacked 8 pieces one by one with masking tape, this time it was faster

Edit: I meant fold once...rather than no fold at all. I didn't want to waste any ribbon but the little ends are good for binding like everyone has said
Screenshot_20180220-130437-1440x810.png

Last edited:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Because I have to post in every thread
8 strands .3 A-1 steak sauce
Framed with 28 A-1
Wrapped with 40 K D
Used CrazyChef's advice about folding the ribbon twice, last time I stacked 8 pieces one by one with masking tape, this time it was faster
View attachment 104425
Beautiful job Meg. I need to figure out a swivel set up. I am in a sober living and have basically either a very small dresser or a iron table outside. Would have been nice as hell today. Last week it was below 0 this week is in the 70s all day. Cincinnati for ya.

I think my swivles such. I managed a staggered build today. No pics felt lazy. First try I got a coil and not bad. I kind of like how it makes a bigger coil than regular fused Claptons. Interesting and tasty. I am running super low on juice I gotta scrounge up and try to find some work this week. @irritated.

God makes a way for me. He hasn't let me down yet.

Just gotta keep working on myself and things will come together

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I got up and running on a Janky set up that I've perfected. Such a better way to build. Freehand to swivels. I'm glad I started of freehanding tho. For some reason I think it's the reason why do many build are clicking so fast

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I got up and running on a Janky set up that I've perfected. Such a better way to build. Freehand to swivels. I'm glad I started of freehanding tho. For some reason I think it's the reason why do many build are clicking so fast

I used no swivels when I first started claptoning, but with how I held the wire, it was rubbing a groove into my thumbnail somehow - I saw that wasn't going to be a long-term way to go about it lol. I coulda figured out another way to hold it I guess but I like my swivels. Seeing that wire spin perfectly without wobble without my help just gives me warm fuzzies :D

My offer is still up btw, I have a pack of 10, I use 5, you can have the other 5 plus some crap ones to use just for attaching them to something and your wire. Just let me know! They're KVD by Mustad

12 ply .3 staples up on deck for this evening, got 3 decores ready to try a staple alien without frames

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I used no swivels when I first started claptoning, but with how I held the wire, it was rubbing a groove into my thumbnail somehow - I saw that wasn't going to be a long-term way to go about it lol. I coulda figured out another way to hold it I guess but I like my swivels. Seeing that wire spin perfectly without wobble without my help just gives me warm fuzzies :D

My offer is still up btw, I have a pack of 10, I use 5, you can have the other 5 plus some crap ones to use just for attaching them to something and your wire. Just let me know! They're KVD by Mustad

12 ply .3 staples up on deck for this evening, got 3 decores ready to try a staple alien without frames
Hey I'm down. Hey funny story I used to be heavy into comp Bass fishing. Kvd is Kevin Van dam. One of the greatest f power fisherman in the industry.

I was sponsored. I had a good go, but I get too competitive and it ruins it for me.

I'll pm you meg.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
regarding wrapping up staple variants without buckling...i dont use a vise or any tension on the wire stick. i only apply any pressure to the current/next wrap by kinda walking my fingers around the jig/rolling the jig into my fingers. both my thumbs and index fingers are pretty much touching the coil and the jig for the whole time, and nothing else. havnt had ribbon buckle on me once since i started doing this. anything from 6 x .3mm plain staples, 12 ply alien staples, 10 x .4mm/26 frames, stapled helix, doesnt matter...i have seen people recommend torching the wire before hand, cutting the wire in half to protect your second coil from buckling while you wrap the first one etc etc, but all i need is my coil jig/screw driver/drill bit.

ill try to figure out how to make a video or take some pics for the staple thread later, but no promises on that. i failed last time i tried to use a video here, but i am a little better equipped to try again this time.2

edited - typo in build description

here we go, finally:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
16 .4x.1 40g wrap.

First time ever trying a regular staple ever. Got it down made 10 coils. I didn't think I'd be able to do runs that lengthy at first but it fell into place.

There are absolutely no videos on YouTube on how to make a regular staple except for squiddood and that is a no swivels method.

I followed the prep with Sherlock hohms framed staple video and it just worked really well.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
here we go, finally:

Awesome man, thanks for your work!

16 .4x.1 40g wrap.

First time ever trying a regular staple ever. Got it down made 10 coils. I didn't think I'd be able to do runs that lengthy at first but it fell into place.

There are absolutely no videos on YouTube on how to make a regular staple except for squiddood and that is a no swivels method.

I followed the prep with Sherlock hohms framed staple video and it just worked really well.

Sherlock Hohms is who I watched too, I love his videos! So cool you got staples already! Pix plox :D

Branpro

Member For 4 Years
lots of the people who have had their staple builds buckle mention the vise/pliers/tension method. this is the opposite of that, so hopefully it will works for someone.
And this is how I do mine also. I use little to no pressure, and almost let the coil roll over itself, with just a tad of assistance. Granted, it usually makes a slightly larger diameter then the jig, but it works.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Is it a staple if it's just two pieces of ribbon and it's wrapped flat-ways?

Like this
Screenshot_20180320-203947-768x1365.png

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I love Staples. Just regular Staples. Frameless Staples.

The one pic on the ram is only a 6 ply with kanthal i thought because there are 6 cores it will get low quick but it didn't. I can make dual 16 ply Staples that only ohm out to .2

I need to get some Nichrome ribbon. I love the flavor.
2992deeb7b67411d6fcf02993d9b0dfa.jpg
f6178ef30280b0761ec0487f1cf669ab.jpg
88eaffe80fd931d92c024301d374178a.jpg
af9bb6e263cb2656a1c135e2475edb25.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The one pic on the ram is only a 6 ply with kanthal i thought because there are 6 cores it will get low quick but it didn't. I can make dual 16 ply Staples that only ohm out to .2

great work man those are very clean looking :D

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Lovely shots mate ...agree staples are where it at

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Great build man. I'm still working on my staples. Usually try one a day. Or at least prep a stick a day. Only problem is I usually do a run long enough for one coil. I've got a few sticks ready to bind together. Saw a framed staple that was helixed instead of wrapped earlier. Looked really good. Not sure if it's easier to helix or wrap.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saw a framed staple that was helixed instead of wrapped earlier. Looked really good. Not sure if it's easier to helix or wrap.
it takes a lot more time to helix the twisted frames together because it usually takes like 5-10 passes of (separate) fuse, by hand. you can clapton the same thing in a few minutes on a drill at high speeds once you are comfortable clapton wrapping stuff.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it takes a lot more time to helix the twisted frames together because it usually takes like 5-10 passes of (separate) fuse, by hand. you can clapton the same thing in a few minutes on a drill at high speeds once you are comfortable clapton wrapping stuff.
Seems like it would be quicker to helix but now that I think about it, trying to get the wrap wire in all the twisted grooves is probably a big pita

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like it would be quicker to helix but now that I think about it, trying to get the wrap wire in all the twisted grooves is probably a big pita

yah you have to find the spacing because the twists dont inherently line up into eachother. the one i did had me skip 6 grooves for each wrap. first pass of counting those out and hand tightening every wrap took forever, and that was only like 1/5th of the wrapping i needed to do. the next passes were faster because i didnt have to count spaces, but it was an all day build for me.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yah you have to find the spacing because the twists dont inherently line up into eachother. the one i did had me skip 6 grooves for each wrap. first pass of counting those out and hand tightening every wrap took forever, and that was only like 1/5th of the wrapping i needed to do. the next passes were faster because i didnt have to count spaces, but it was an all day build for me.
Wow that's definitely a job then. I might hold off for a while. There are other things I need to perfect or at least be able to do before I jump to the next coil. Lol

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not watched any vids lately. But I think someone mentioned leaving the frames longer than the ribbon core. Is that correct?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not watched any vids lately. But I think someone mentioned leaving the frames longer than the ribbon core. Is that correct?

Yeah, you can set up the frames around the swivel, then bind the ribbon in between, and put the two legs of the frame in the chuck easy peasy

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, you can set up the frames around the swivel, then bind the ribbon in between, and put the two legs of the frame in the chuck easy peasy
Cool deal. About to throw some sliders on and tighten it up then wrap it up.
76318deb3796188edc49726e2f58b3b8.jpg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Meg are you doing this with Raymos clamp as well? Or just glue the end and wacking it all in the clamp

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Meg are you doing this with Raymos clamp as well? Or just glue the end and wacking it all in the clamp

I think more often I put frames in the drill chuck then glue the staple in between, that's what I did for the ssfc yesterday

I did use the clamp for the alien stagger, then glued the next two cores to the middle ones

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I think more often I put frames in the drill chuck then glue the staple in between, that's what I did for the ssfc yesterday

I did use the clamp for the alien stagger, then glued the next two cores to the middle ones

Cool thanks ill give your way a go :vino:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

So like this yeah

B09D50F7-8463-4FA9-B698-66F2239EF420.jpeg

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Small staple. Needed a break from fused Claptons and wanted ribbon because ribbon is the bee's knees for flavor. I need more round wire. I'm going to put an order in I also am going to switch from kanthal to nichrome80 ribbon and use .3x1.

Hey Meg, I got some questions. I'm going to pm you after group. I might skip group but when I get a chance I'll pm.
71281de4bcca84f5699e05dd29dcc08d.jpg

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Framed. I honestly cannot tell much if any difference between framed and regular Staples. Maybe a bit faster ramp up. I'm going to order some Nichrome ribbon tomorrow
3b3fe524798f7615cdbad9d73d75a1ff.jpg
615472c6e71400c20fa8d83ec4defa19.jpg

Does anyone still use now torches? I've never used a blow torch to work my coils. Even big framed Staples.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Never it messes the colour up :).... and I can’t have that

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone still use now torches? I've never used a blow torch to work my coils. Even big framed Staples.

Only for Ni80 non-framed staples. Frames are keeping the ribbon wire vertical as you wrap your coil so then the springiness doesn't matter, but without the frames the springiness creates a disaster if you don't give it a quick run of the torch before you start to coil it up.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have never torched wire/coils either. i buckled a few staples learning how to wrap them up, and that was pretty much the end of it.

those are super nice coils btw man :D what tank is that? looks like an apocalypse deck in an rta?

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
i have never torched wire/coils either. i buckled a few staples learning how to wrap them up, and that was pretty much the end of it.

those are super nice coils btw man :D what tank is that? looks like an apocalypse deck in an rta?
It's a kb Sherman v3. I absolutely love this tank. I squonk for the most part but man this tank kicks ass.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
These were regular Staples. I did buckle a few smaller Staples in the beginning. It's hard to collapse a staple build so long as it's larger width than the ribbon. 5 or more for .4, 4 or more for .3.

I worked real hard in the beginning, I'm just relaxing now. I can pretty much build any coil I set out to build. I just settled on Staples. I love the vape. That or 2 core aliens for squonking and for decks that will fuck flat builds up.

These atty companies need to shy away from decks that screw down and fuck coils up. I fucking hate that shit. I use coil sets I've never popped one, coil builds last me quite some time. I like giving good build a go, I switch it up allot. I made a jar for coils that are still good but ones I won't use again to give away. Just gotta go the extra mile and make sure there cleaned.
bff13989afd7d258d1e3e70af0311c2a.jpg

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol, I've been trying to see how many coils I can do in a run. Much harder with just the swivels. I'm going to make my own bearing spinner.

Framed and regular Staples I can get a good 6 coils @ 5 wraps 2.5 ID

I’m in love with my squidward spinner. Bones red bearing is really smooth.
438b04e615271253c51e5eb936da0b26.jpg

4b06526ca4d07cc38d79100836c18162.jpg

VU Sponsors