Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No. I've gone as far as putting 2 orings into the AFC ring and still seeps. My only bullchit solution is to have the Merlin on a mech with a solid pin so there is a space between the hitter and atty but it seeps enough to drip off the Merlin base onto the holder I use and make the mech slimy.
:cry: So sad :( I wished they would've designed the Merlin like the Merlin Mini, not press fit. It's more like the Boreas now with two swappable decks. But the Mini's 2ml capacity is a no go for me. Maybe we now have to wait for a "Merlin Mini Supreme" lol, the design of the Mini seems promising just wish it had larger juice capacity.

Mark1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As I said a few pages back, these tank manufacturers should either replace the bad tanks or give refunds. But people just keep buying subpar stuff and then bitch later on.

Augvape gets no more money from me..... and all I bought was one Merlin. It seeps so bad that it's trash now.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Augvape gets no more money from me..... and all I bought was one Merlin. It seeps so bad that it's trash now.
I made a flash-in-the-pan decision to buy the 2 merlins out of a coop without researching them first. If I had of known they are pressfit then I wouldn't have bought them. Augvape has left a bad taste in my mouth so they will never get any more money outta me no matter how great the atty could be.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have only tried the v1 aromamizer and am not a fan as the airflow is too restrictive for me. I may end up giving a supreme a try some day but there are so many other atty's I want to try and/or add more of ones I already know I like to my stash so I am not sure if/when I might get one.
The supreme has massive airflow and is a pretty good decent amount of vape fantastic flavours an massive unrestricted airflow , its so much better than other tanks ive owned an sold off , now own several of each of them , +,boreas x2 , cloudnus rdta x2 , mod farther + all decks + tank sizes all very similar side airflow direct to coils bottom fed decks , Removable decks , the supreme lyte RDTA is also very good for flavours and massive airflow too , but is a smaller build deck an chamber so flavours seem a little stronger too but smaller builds needed for it , deffo give the Aromamizer Supreme a try , its on sale on Gearbest half the price to the limited editions an shop prices well worth buying to me , Plus now you can buy extra decks from fasttech for the supreme so can hot swap the builds in seconds which is so much better an steam crave now sell the postless deck on its own too they include a plug for single coil builds also ,
The Cloudnus RDTA not much attention has been given to this RDTA no massive reviews like other not a massively popular RDTA its built like an updated Aromamizer Supreme solid build quality, has a goon style clamped deck , massive airflows and built bloody fantastic if i didnt mention that already ,juice flow control is probably the best one out on an RDTA , you can actually see if open or not very easily via its pins or the open closed written on the tank flavours are fantastic from it too once you wick it right if was more popular they could. Of offered other style decks Id of Bought them , very underrated Rdta , The supreme 25mmand lyte 23mm RDTA an mod farther 30mm RTA,s
Are my favourite tanks for flavours then the Boreas then ud bellus an OBS Engine RTA Merlin RTA cthulhu v3 rta with two build decks running a 4mm id single coil on the single build deck but chews through 5ml juice in 30mins shame cthulhu v3 has a drip tip that needs PTFE over the Orings or you lose it same with the the 510 tip adapter tank an decks are pretty good apart from lose drip tips .
I have now sold off my griffin , sold off my two limitless plus RDTA kept the ones mentioned above x2 of each so have spares for pending regulations and kept my Billow v3plus nice flavourful RTA kept my OBS Engine, my new favourite is the wolfpaw RDA Bf on the coppervapes bf mech mod sqounker for 22£ for coppervapes BF kit, its a steal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:cry: So sad :( I wished they would've designed the Merlin like the Merlin Mini, not press fit. It's more like the Boreas now with two swappable decks. But the Mini's 2ml capacity is a no go for me. Maybe we now have to wait for a "Merlin Mini Supreme" lol, the design of the Mini seems promising just wish it had larger juice capacity.
They also removed the 4 post holes on the single coil deck too which is a big NO No to me , this just made it so much easier for beginners , also allows dual stacked coils too. But since they included a dual coil deck they removed the easy option that had easy builds recommend for beginners ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
Fortunately none of my Merlins have seeped out of the bottom. Though one base now rotates freely beyond which used to be a close point. Which means I supposed that the press fit is now unpressed. I only vape my two Merlins now because they are so easy to vape and wick and build. And of course taste great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Merlin update:

Well as most of you know the Merlin seeps from the base. I emailed Augvape 3x with no response. Finally, I got pissed and decided to try FB. I basically publicly berated them on their page. A few hours later in the wee hours of the morning I got a message on FB. It was someone from Augvape and they offered to replace all 4 of my bases. Today I got a tracking # and the bases are on the way. Hopefully, these don't seep. So far kudos to Augvape for responding and taking action although it's a shame that it had to go down like that. Let's see how this plays out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
Merlin update:

Well as most of you know the Merlin seeps from the base. I emailed Augvape 3x with no response. Finally, I got pissed and decided to try FB. I basically publicly berated them on their page. A few hours later in the wee hours of the morning I got a message on FB. It was someone from Augvape and they offered to replace all 4 of my bases. Today I got a tracking # and the bases are on the way. Hopefully, these don't seep. So far kudos to Augvape for responding and taking action although it's a shame that it had to go down like that. Let's see how this plays out.

Way to go! Hopefully they'll will realize just how many fans they have. If only they stand behind their product. If only they spend more time making a consistently quality product.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Way to go! Hopefully they'll will realize just how many fans they have. If only they stand behind their product. If only they spend more time making a consistently quality product.

Yep, the shame of it all is I had 6 tanks. I sold 2, before the seeping issue. I currently own 4 but only use one because the other 3 seep so bad they have been rendered unusable. The 4th seeps but just a tiny bit. The Boreas and Alleria are great tanks but Augvape really dropped the ball on the Merlin.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

KAS129

Member For 4 Years
Yep, the shame of it all is I had 6 tanks. I sold 2, before the seeping issue. I currently own 4 but only use one because the other 3 seep so bad they have been rendered unusable. The 4th seeps but just a tiny bit. The Boreas and Alleria are great tanks but Augvape really dropped the ball on the Merlin.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Just left a post there myself. However, I don't expect to receive a positive response. I basically told them what I think of their crap products, nonexistent customer service and amateur design staff.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Merlin update:

That's great! Hopefully the new decks are good! Wonder if I should try to reach out to them?

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What are your thoughts on the merlin mini? Is it any good? Any seepage like the 4ml Merlin?

I'm 2 days into my first build, but liking it so far. Far less chance to seep the way it's designed as long as the o-rings are in good shape.

On a side note I mentioned to them they should make an extension kit with a taller chimney and glass. They may in the future, but not now.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm 2 days into my first build, but liking it so far. Far less chance to seep the way it's designed as long as the o-rings are in good shape.

On a side note I mentioned to them they should make an extension kit with a taller chimney and glass. They may in the future, but not now.
I hope they do! I told them on FB that a Merlin Mini Supreme would be nice lol!

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's great news. I like the small size of it because flavor will be excellent. I think if you increase capacity it will still be excellent but not the same. I may be wrong, but I feel shorter tanks give better flavor because you closer to the coil.

KAS129

Member For 4 Years
Just left a post there myself. However, I don't expect to receive a positive response. I basically told them what I think of their crap products, nonexistent customer service and amateur design staff.
Got a response from them.. They suggested I read this very thread to see if someone here can help fix the problem. Gee, I wish I had thought of that. Of course Vaping Underground should handle all of their customer service inquiries. Really!! Seems the only person associated with Augvape who was here disappeared when people started having problems with these tanks and stopped kissing her ass.

Douglas H. Aiken

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got a response from them.. They suggested I read this very thread to see if someone here can help fix the problem. Gee, I wish I had thought of that. Of course Vaping Underground should handle all of their customer service inquiries. Really!! Seems the only person associated with Augvape who was here disappeared when people started having problems with these tanks and stopped kissing her ass.
Coincidence? :facepalm:

Mark1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Same shit that I got. My Merlin going into the trash and I'll never buy from Augvape again. That's how you send a message to these half-assed tank manufacturers. STOP buying their products!!!!! Then they might get the message.

I'm serious. As I said a few pages back, would anyone put up with this if they bought a car from Ford, GM, etc? No.

Douglas H. Aiken

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From most of what I've read, as well as personal experience, the Merlin is similar to a Cig-A-Like.
In that you should throw it away when the tank is empty.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
the truth is I still like the way it vapes. paper towel in one hand so .
would I buy more ? nope ! tried 7 more different attys and some are even worse when it comes to leaking
one which does not leak is the gem ..but ..the air flow is like drinking chowing gum through a straw.
while most attys now are for duel coil set up and the air flow is like inhaling through a toilet seat .
my latest one is the obs engine . made a silicon insert to plug two of the juece holes and two of the air holes above .and it reduces the chamber to.
so far I love it . flavor is great juece flow is great and filling is super simple .
and best of all . defenetly and positively NO LEAKING at least standing up

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got a box full of Chi-Nee made RTAs that have an issue in some way or another, It's part of the vape game... :xD:

Everyone hated Smok for the M80 and other mods, swore they would never buy another, but they all want the Alien now...

Next month another atomizer SKU will hit the shelves and be all that and them some. Poorly designed and manufactured RTAs will always be around, they can be made for $2 and sold quickly by the 10K's for $30, it's a very good return on investment.

Design it, Hype it, Crank them out and Ship! :giggle:
60017336.jpg

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
the truth is I still like the way it vapes. paper towel in one hand so .
would I buy more ? nope ! tried 7 more different attys and some are even worse when it comes to leaking
one which does not leak is the gem ..but ..the air flow is like drinking chowing gum through a straw.
while most attys now are for duel coil set up and the air flow is like inhaling through a toilet seat .
my latest one is the obs engine . made a silicon insert to plug two of the juece holes and two of the air holes above .and it reduces the chamber to.
so far I love it . flavor is great juece flow is great and filling is super simple .
and best of all . defenetly and positively NO LEAKING at least standing up
Excellent Idea!

What did you use to make a silicone plug, regular old RTV Silicone or something special?
I'd like to make one for the Raven's Moon to make it a single coil RTA.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
trolldragon...
the silicone is food safe...its called easymold silicone putty.
just a little scoop of each 50 50 nead together until even in color . press into one side leave it sticking up some and then press the chamber on .
let it cure about halv an hr ...it will sqish to much into the middle ..a razor blade will cut the exes off .
soits a putty for making molds for baking or chokolates or even resins . let me know if its not clear

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
trolldragon...
the silicone is food safe...its called easymold silicone putty.
just a little scoop of each 50 50 nead together until even in color . press into one side leave it sticking up some and then press the chamber on .
let it cure about halv an hr ...it will sqish to much into the middle ..a razor blade will cut the exes off .
soits a putty for making molds for baking or chokolates or even resins . let me know if its not clear
Thank You! :cheers:
I see that Michaels sells it, I shall get some on my next visit.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
just have some fun with it. I am not familiar with your atty you might not need to go that high with it .my air flow is on top so I had to go higher to block two of the air intakes to. made some before I think it was for the aromamizer.see if I can find a picture.

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well this just sucks big time! It seemed like this was the best single coil rta I have researched. I'd really like to get into trying to build, but it seems like there isn't many good options for a single coil rta out there now that this one is leaking. I guess I'll just stick with premade coils. Shame that no one makes one for a beginner that just wants great flavor and not trying to be in a cloud contest and juice hog. That's just my opinion.

Devilon

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Seems I have found a way to stop my Merlin's from seeping eliquid onto my mods.
The leak as many will knew comes from the bottom base of the atty.
So what I've done for a quick easy fix is to take a piece of firm but very thin clear plastic and glued this to the base, covering the seam.
After 2 whole days of running my previous most leaky Merlin I have now not had a single drop appear on my mod.
Now i know this not the perfect way of doing things but so far it has worked for me :)

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what I've done for a quick easy fix is to take a piece of firm but very thin clear plastic and glued this to the base, covering the seam.
After 2 whole days of running my previous most leaky Merlin I have now not had a single drop appear on my mod.
Now i know this not the perfect way of doing things but so far it has worked for me :)
Got a pic of what you did?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Since vaping the Merlin I'm really into single coil tanks. Any other reccomdations out there? I have a Serpent, Kayfun 5 clone, and Bachelor either in a cart or on the way. Anyone have experience with these tanks?

Devilon

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Got a pic of what you did?

I could give you a pic of what I've done but because of the thin clear plastic I used you wouldn't be able to see it :)
I just cut a piece of plastic just slightly larger than the atty it self, made a small hole for the 510 and then glued in place,
And after the glue set well, I just trimmed of the edge so it fitted the atty.
Hope the helps :)

Devilon

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Since vaping the Merlin I'm really into single coil tanks. Any other reccomdations out there? I have a Serpent, Kayfun 5 clone, and Bachelor either in a cart or on the way. Anyone have experience with these tanks?

I've got 3 serpents now sitting in a draw they gave a decent flavour but not as good as the Merlin and not as easy to build, plus the downside is the non removable glass tank. As for the Kayfun 5 Clone, I just couldn't get a decent flavour off mine and I wasn't too keen on the juice control.
The Bachelor although good are still not on par for flavour as the Merlin.
Well that's my opinion on these three, but I'm sure others will have different opinions as we all don't vape the same way. :)

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got 3 serpents now sitting in a draw they gave a decent flavour but not as good as the Merlin and not as easy to build, plus the downside is the non removable glass tank. As for the Kayfun 5 Clone, I just couldn't get a decent flavour off mine and I wasn't too keen on the juice control.
The Bachelor although good are still not on par for flavour as the Merlin.
Well that's my opinion on these three, but I'm sure others will have different opinions as we all don't vape the same way. :)
I am also look for a single coil rta. I'd like to get into building so I can see what all the fuss is about. But I really don't want to have a bunch of issues with leaking or filling up constantly. That's why I haven't looked at the other great suggestions

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well this just sucks big time! It seemed like this was the best single coil rta I have researched. I'd really like to get into trying to build, but it seems like there isn't many good options for a single coil rta out there now that this one is leaking. I guess I'll just stick with premade coils. Shame that no one makes one for a beginner that just wants great flavor and not trying to be in a cloud contest and juice hog. That's just my opinion.
just try a obs engine ..the air intake is on top and no openings in the bottom so no leaking . the flavor is nice even with a single small coil .
my coils are around 1.5 ohms even 1.8 . just a simle micro coil on 2.5 or 3mm and some times twisted . 30 or 28 gage .
holds 5.2 ml . oh and I am vaping at 14 to 16 watts . price it out at ft about 22.00 . just leave the dual claptons out and you will have a nice flavor for tootle puffing .
still have the merlins in rotation at home on my desk love the draw and flavor ..super glue gel rubbed into the bottom will help but don't use jour fingers !!

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I thought of literally gluing the AFC ring to the base to stop the seeping but there is a problem that once you have blocked the juice from seeping is that now juice is going to get stagnant under the AFC ring, the seeping isn't stopped just blocked now. Its not going to be very long with the heat and juice sitting on the bottom going to turn for the worse with getting funky, sticky and eventually going to taste the funk with no way to clean it since its now a sealed unit.

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just try a obs engine ..the air intake is on top and no openings in the bottom so no leaking . the flavor is nice even with a single small coil .
my coils are around 1.5 ohms even 1.8 . just a simle micro coil on 2.5 or 3mm and some times twisted . 30 or 28 gage .
holds 5.2 ml . oh and I am vaping at 14 to 16 watts . price it out at ft about 22.00 . just leave the dual claptons out and you will have a nice flavor for tootle puffing .
still have the merlins in rotation at home on my desk love the draw and flavor ..super glue gel rubbed into the bottom will help but don't use jour fingers !!
Is the obs engine a single coil? I thought it was a dual coil?

Devilon

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought of literally gluing the AFC ring to the base to stop the seeping but there is a problem that once you have blocked the juice from seeping is that now juice is going to get stagnant under the AFC ring, the seeping isn't stopped just blocked now. Its not going to be very long with the heat and juice sitting on the bottom going to turn for the worse with getting funky, sticky and eventually going to taste the funk with no way to clean it since its now a sealed unit.

I can see you point there, but the AFC on mine is not glued to the base, the AFC on mine still moves freely, the way I have glued mine just prevents any air or leakage seeping through the base of the atty where the join is.
As I have said it's not the perfect remedy, but it has prevented mine seeping any juice. :)

Last edited:

jackmormon

Member For 4 Years

The modgaurd from Kidney Puncher does about the same thing. Here is an e-bay link for something similar with different sizes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172063925940?var=470916191001

My Merlin(s) all weep and the modguard will keep them going for a few days but the chamber around the airflow will eventually fill up and juice will weep out of the air flow holes instead of the base. Too bad as the Merlin has the best flavor for a single coil atty that I have tried.

Original Serpent is almost as good in the flavor department but has a really janky JFC. Serpent Mini 22/25 are good but too hot for my liking. Bachelor is also great but they are similar to the Merlin with a press fit base and will weep a bit but not as bad as a Merlin.

Haven't figured out how to get good flavor out of a KF5 but love the design.

The only dedicated single coil tank I REALLY like is a Subtank Plus with the V2 RBA head. Been using the same one daily for well over a year with ZERO issues.

I have been re-building for about 3 years starting with a Russian 91% and have always tried to stick with single coil tanks being a MTL vapor.

Until last week when I picked up a Supreme....best flavor I have ever had out of a tank. Think I will go for dual coil tanks now as all of the dedicated single coil tanks have some issue or issues.

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It does seem that way. But I just wonder how much harder it will be to learn how to build two coils at a time versus just one for a newbie.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Is the obs engine a single coil? I thought it was a dual coil?
jes it is dual coil but that dos not mean you cant put a single coil in it . works ok without doing anything but the silicone plug I made for it improves it.
the merlin can be build dual coil to . also google obs single coil builds some interesting stuff to .

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
well that depends how many tanks you vape without taking the bottom of and rinsing . I rather rinse and rewick than have the gunk leak into my atty

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I think you will love the Serpent Mini 25mm. It has a similar airflow / draw as the Merlin, great clouds, great flavor & no leaks. The Kayfun v5 clone has a bit tighter draw, good flavor & decent clouds & no leaks but it's different from the Serpent Mini 25. I guess think short & squat versus tall & thin.

VU Sponsors