Yup....

10e001c47c4c8add68692f29d0aa3caf.jpg

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
“The Good Ol Times” or days is such a profoundly evolving thing for us all is it not? There are so many, genres if you will, for this. The good ol days of vaping and those of us that were constantly doing everything we could to evolve to something better. All of the modding and trial and error from 801s, cartomizers, blue foam and teabags to what we have now. The good ol days.

From being young and full of energy. Always a summer party somewhere or swimming at any one of the usual spots. A case of beer and a mountain ride to get lost. All of the laughs with people that you may not see so much of anymore. The good ol days.

To being a kid and discovering new things in the world. Playing outside until your mother yelled your name. Wrecking your bike on a sweet dirt pile you jumped. When the adults had parties or family get togethers and you ran around with your cousins trying not to get yelled at. The good ol days.

It wasn’t until the passing of my grandfather that, the good ol days hit hard and meant more. Sitting on his lap at age 7 and learning how to drive. Spending the night at his house and watching westerns and eating all the candy. Him babysitting me and taking me to the legion and giving me sips of beer and a pocket full of quarters for the game room. Going to our hunting cabin and enjoying the woods in pursuit of game together. Learning how important family is from him. The best of days gone by.

I like to remember that, maybe some more years down the road, I will think back of some good ol days from now. The older I get the more I appreciate this. Nice topic started here. To the good ol days 🍻

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the old Igloo insulated can holders much anymore...this one of mine is from the late 80s and was made in the USA. Still rockin'.... View attachment 213206

I got newer ones like my Seahawks cooler, but they won't hold a pounder... :p

View attachment 213205
I have two, one split the other is in good shape. Though, mine do not hold beer instead hold a glass of water or lemonade ;) Oh and occasionally a soda.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Were the good old days when the internet wasn't used to memory hole truth, or when you could find AAA eggs in the stores?

Around 2005 I became curious about what the distinctions were between grade A, AA and AAA eggs, all which were in the stores back then, so I looked it up online. It had only to do with how long the eggs were out of the chicken. The more recently laid, the more "A"s were in the rating, so AAA basically meant fresh laid. AA eggs were a little older, and grade A, the most common and the cheapest, were oldest.

Then I noticed the grocery stores stopped having AAA and AA eggs. They were all grade A, even the brands you think are higher quality or better managed, like Vital Farms, Pete & Gerry's, Organic Valley.

When you try to find that old info about the grading of eggs by the number of "A" on the label, it's gone. You'll get a lot of "404 error" responses when you click links, or if the link is live you'll find it's in some other country, like UK or Australia.

And here is what the Wikipedia (the lie-o-pedia) says now:

U.S. Grade AA
Eggs have whites that are thick and firm; have yolks that are high, round, and practically free from defects; and have clean, unbroken shells.

Grade AA and Grade A eggs are best for frying and poaching, where appearance is important.

U.S. Grade A
Eggs have characteristics of Grade AA eggs except the whites are "reasonably" firm.
This is the quality most often sold in stores.

U.S. Grade B

Eggs have whites that may be thinner and yolks that may be wider and flatter than eggs of higher grades. The shells must be unbroken, but may show slight stains.
This quality is seldom found in retail stores because usually they are used to make liquid, frozen, and dried egg products, as well as other egg-containing products.

(end)

The good news is that AA eggs seem to be coming back. The HEB store brand has two varieties of AA. Costco has one if you want to by five dozen at a time. But not those foofoo brands, your Pete & Gerry's, Organic Valley, Vital Farms, though I can understand that transport adds time to delivery from the chicken to your kitchen. If you know a local farmer maybe you can get those freshly laid AAA eggs.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The other day when I went to a restaurant; an elderly woman with her granddaughter was trying to get a highchair for her. NO ONE not even one man or any waitresses went over to help this woman :cuss: what the hell ???
So, I jumped out of my chair and helped her.
You know... it doesn't take much of an effort to help someone....Get Off Your Lazy Asses and HELP!!! grrrr

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers

May be an image of 2 people

63 years ago today, Mister Ed premiered. It first aired in syndication from January 5 to July 2, 1961, and then on CBS from October 1, 1961, to February 6, 1966. The show's title character is a talking horse, originally appearing in short stories by Walter R. Brooks. Mister Ed is one of the few series to debut in syndication and be picked up by a major network for prime time.
Comedian George Burns financed the original pilot for Mr Ed which was shot at his McCadden Studio in Hollywood at a cost of $70,000. Scott McKay played Wilbur. Jack Benny was also involved behind the scenes.
The show in effect had two leads operating as a comedy team. The title role of Mister Ed, a talking palomino, was played by gelding Bamboo Harvester and voiced by former Western film actor Allan Lane. The role of Ed's owner, a genial but somewhat klutzy architect named Wilbur Post, was played by Alan Young. Many of the program's gags follow from Mister Ed's tendency to talk only to Wilbur, his skills as a troublemaker, and his precociously human-like behaviour that far exceeds anything those around Wilbur expect of a horse. A running gag is other characters hearing Wilbur talking to Ed and asking to whom he is talking. Another running gag centers on Wilbur being accident prone and inadvertently causing harm to himself and others. According to the show's producer, Arthur Lubin, Young was chosen for the lead role because he "just seemed like the sort of guy a horse would talk to".
The other main character throughout the series is Wilbur's generally tolerant young wife, Carol (Connie Hines). The Posts also have two sets of neighbors, to whom Ed delights in making Wilbur appear as eccentric as possible. They included the Addisons, Roger (Larry Keating) and his wife Kay (Edna Skinner), who both appeared from the pilot episode until Keating's death in 1963; thereafter, Skinner continued appearing as Kay, without mention of Roger's absence, until the neighbors were recast. During this period, Kay's brother Paul Fenton (Jack Albertson), who had made occasional appearances before, appears. Following the Addisons, the Posts' new neighbors were Col. Gordon Kirkwood, USAF (Ret.), portrayed by Leon Ames, Wilbur's former commanding officer, and his wife Winnie (Florence MacMichael). They appeared on the series from 1963 to 1965. In the final season, the Kirkwoods were phased out, while Carol's grumpy and uptight father, Mr. Higgins (Barry Kelley), who appeared occasionally throughout the entire series, apparently moved in with Wilbur and Carol during the final episodes. Mr. Higgins loathes Wilbur since Wilbur's quirky eccentricity always clashes with his own emotionless and uptight personality. Carol's father never stops trying to persuade her to divorce Wilbur, whom he often refers to as a "kook" because of Wilbur's clumsiness. Alan Young performed double duty during the final season of the series, also directing nearly all episodes.
Ed's ability to talk was never explained, or ever contemplated much on the show. In the first episode, when Wilbur expresses an inability to understand the situation, Ed offers the show's only remark on the subject: "Don't try. It's bigger than both of us!"
The Posts resided at 17230 Valley Spring in the San Fernando Valley

VU Sponsors