Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's another old one from the past that may jog a few memories

May be an image of text that says 'ON THIS DAY IN 1964 Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer first airs on TV'

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
We'd take our pop bottle money the the corner store to get candy. The store is still there.
Granny grew poppy flowers between her picket fence and the road. We would get the seeds from the flower and wet them in our mouth to get them to pop on the hot asphalt.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We'd take our pop bottle money the the corner store to get candy. The store is still there.
Granny grew poppy flowers between her picket fence and the road. We would get the seeds from the flower and wet them in our mouth to get them to pop on the hot asphalt.
Wow! Can’t believe the store is still there! That’s great!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember, it musta been in the late 50's, about this time of year. My parents had bought a "Glass wax" Christmas stencil for our picture window (these were popular back in the day). My parents were both very artistic and it turned out very impressive. The picture window faced South so the morning sun would hit it and it would glow, so many different colors would reflect on the wall like the light was coming through a stained glass window. It was a nativity scene.
Has anyone seen one of these?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I got kicked out of kindergarten for being mischievous :snapoutofit:
These days I'd probably get an A for the year, on the first day :rolleyes:
In a bar too, w/step dad,,, 9yo, I asked for a beer and got got a Shirley Temple :huh: and still the best green pork burrito I can remember.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do kids still do newspaper routes anymore? I started my route when I was 12; by bicycle Mon - Sat, and pulling a wagon load on Sunday because that was the thick issue.

It seems I've only seen adults delivering the papers since then.
I think it is all done by adults, or those who call themselves adults. It's a real rip off to kids. My paper route bought all of my Christmas gifts when I was a kid, sad they changed it :(

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Then there were the good ol days when I rode my motorcycle with just a learner's permit, before helmet laws got passed. I thought 88 cents per gallon for gas was ridiculously expensive, and I would put a dollar worth in the tank. Hot dogs were 10 cents a pack, and made for a nice snack on the road.

How about riding around in a car without seat belts, because they were not required equipment when cars were built?

I even remember waiting for the No Smoking light to go off while on a flight just so I could smoke.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember walking to school. I'm not sure how common that is nowadays, but these were long walks, about 7 blocks to elementary school, including a few blocks along a major thoroughfare, then 9-10 blocks to middle school including a couple of blocks on a different major thoroughfare, then approx. 8 blocks to high school. It didn't seem hard, but there was no time to waste. You'd meet up with friends along the way, and become a big cluster as you approached school, thinning out again as everybody walked home. I lived the most distant from schools of all my friends, so those last few blocks were always a meditation, not based on but focused within, my changing shadow on the sidewalk, depending on the time of day and positions of sun and earth. You were keenly in touch with the seasons and changing nature. You had time to dwell on your triumphs and failures, joys and pains, fears or happy anticipations. Those long school walks are neither good memories nor bad, but I remember them more keenly than anything else in my school days. Everybody did it, until you were old enough to get a car, but I never had one in high school. I did ride with friends once people started having cars, but by then I preferred to walk. My brothers were just enough younger that they were walking to middle school when I was walking to high, still walking to elementary school when I was walking to middle, etc. Strangely I'm remembering now that we all had bicycles, but I don't remember us, or anybody, ever riding bikes to school.

I remember ice cream man trucks. Some say they're still around, but I never see any around here.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stanley's Ice House had the best carne guisada tacos in town. They made only that one thing, gave it to you in a bag, and you could take it, and the beer or soda you bought there, outside and eat on picnic tables behind the store, or take it home, whatever. It wasn't a restaurant. There used to be lots of places like that, individually owned convenience store gas station places where they'd make and sell one or two items, which I think somehow circumvented restaurant regulations, never any indoor tables. Anyway, Stanley's always had a long line for the carne guisada.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember drive ins. I always thought they were great, one could sit in a lot more comfy seat and you could smoke, not that ever will smoke again or promote it but back in the day I/we all did. I can remember my mom would pop a big paper (grocery store bag) of pop corn and fill the cooler with drinks, soda for us kids and my mom and beer for my dad. I'll always remember those.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yep, with the tubes that glowed.

How about the canvas tents with aluminum poles? You just don't see those anymore.
I remember going to pretty much any store that had a tube tester with my dad and tubes to check them and replace the defective ones to fix the TV.

Anyone remember the Sears Christmas Wish Book?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone remember when stores gave stamps like these or any others

May be an image of text

May be an image of text that says '075d 075d EEN 075d GREEN SHIELD GREEN SHIELD -075d GREEN SHIELD GRE SHII 75d EEN 075 GREEN SHIELD GREEN SHIELD GREEN SHIELD GRI SHI 75d 075d seTn 075d S -075d''075d 075d EEN 075d GREEN SHIELD GREEN SHIELD -075d GREEN SHIELD GRE SHII 75d EEN 075 GREEN SHIELD GREEN SHIELD GREEN SHIELD GRI SHI 75d 075d seTn 075d S -075d'

Here there were stores that gave out green stamps and others that gave out yellow one
I remember in the 60s my mom got Blue Chip stamps, I vividly recall going to the redemption center and she got a humidifier

There was a counter and this conveyer belt. You went through the catalogue, picked out your item and it would come down through the conveyer belt...

Thanks for the memory!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I thought it would be fun to share our old memories of times when things seemed tough but now they look good. Please share your old memories with all of us.
ladies wore dresses, men respected them and you always gave up your seat on public transport. theses days, if you sit in a shopping mall for 30 mins and look at the first say 25 females between 20 and 40, you may see one skirt. what would happen is a male brickie walked around in a mini skirt and heels?

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Supermarkets with smoking

Drive-ins -check
Paper route- check

Ice cream trucks...major check, there is a pool close enough to my house that that dang do dup do dup do duppity dup songs runs outside constantly all summer long. (I guess i should call it the good humor song, which is what it is i believe)
Whenever u r outside u hear it in the background. Not loud, but very very clearly there, lol

Last edited:

VU Sponsors