Become a Patron!

Post your builds

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Hey im out of 26g. How many 32g twisted together to be about the same size?

well 26g is .4, 32g is .2 so technically 4 strands in a square will be the equivilent amount of wire. The diameter of twisted wire will vary depending on how hard you twist them. Plus twisting wire together stretches each strand so they are no longer .2. idk ... maybe 5 or 6 depending on how hard you twist them?

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey im out of 26g. How many 32g twisted together to be about the same size?
26 gauge is .405 mm in diameter. 32 gauge is .202 mm in diameter. I think if you twist 4 or 5 strands of 32 together really well I think you will be in the same ballpark but I could be completely wrong.:crazy:

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
ok I'll try not to spam y'all to much. But here's a shot that you can actually see the build. It's still kinda weird to me ...

View attachment 133042
It's really cool how you got such an even twist with your micro clapton alien wrap. I also like how the cores are claptoned. I think it's a really cool build. Bet it would color up beautifully!:popcorn:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks man ;) Force fusing. One strand at a time. Do the first one, loose it a little by spinning in opposite direction. Pass the second one, loose a bit, pass the third, loose a bit. Then I stretch the core (didn’t pre-stretch it, use direct from spool), and decore the razor.
That's actually really cool. Last few builds you have done have looked beautiful.:popcorn:

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks man ;) Force fusing. One strand at a time. Do the first one, loose it a little by spinning in opposite direction. Pass the second one, loose a bit, pass the third, loose a bit. Then I stretch the core (didn’t pre-stretch it, use direct from spool), and decore the razor.
Yah I kinda thought I would try force fusing. It's one of the most versatile techniques in the builders kit. But I still have trouble getting a consistent razor. I need to put more time in with it.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It's really cool how you got such an even twist with your micro clapton alien wrap. I also like how the cores are claptoned. I think it's a really cool build. Bet it would color up beautifully!:popcorn:
Thank you sir. The core is actually a 3 core 28/40 staggered fused clapton. And the tsuka is an alien tsuka. No twisting needed ;).
And we will see on the color. The cores are n80 and the ribbon and micro are kanthal. So it will be silver over colors ... and then pastel K colors over a dull metal gray.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Oh! Thanks so much my man ;) , means a lot

And @WPMac , try to use a clamp to razor. I use a big one and it’s making the job easy :)

Best.
I've bought a couple of large clamps for just that. First one wasn't tight enough and the ribbon wouldn't stand up. And the second was to tight and stretched the crap out of the ribbon, even with tape over the pads. When I was razoring a lot i was using legos. I got to a point where I could get 8-10 inches every second or third try. But I was wasting so much wire. And the legos would only last 2-3 attempts ... then they get grooves in them and loose grip. After a while I decided to come back to it later. Thinking I might go to the hardware store again and try another clamp.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spaced 2×28g/38g fused claptons 4 spaced wraps @ .2Ω in the Tugboat 24 rda. Went on top of the Smok Magneto II tube mech. Think that next time I sit down to the drill I'll try my hand at a triple core fused clapton. With my luck y'all. Hopefully I'll be able to on Tuesday.
142f8ad27e1160732574d02f76373a71.jpg

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Spaced 2×28g/38g fused claptons 4 spaced wraps @ .2Ω in the Tugboat 24 rda. Went on top of the Smok Magneto II tube mech. Think that next time I sit down to the drill I'll try my hand at a triple core fused clapton. With my luck y'all. Hopefully I'll be able to on Tuesday.

Nice. Hows it hit?

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
P

Very Nice!!!! Love the spacing and nice consistent wrap. Very well done!!! I like to space my coils a little bit as well when I install them.:popcorn:

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I've bought a couple of large clamps for just that. First one wasn't tight enough and the ribbon wouldn't stand up. And the second was to tight and stretched the crap out of the ribbon, even with tape over the pads. When I was razoring a lot i was using legos. I got to a point where I could get 8-10 inches every second or third try. But I was wasting so much wire. And the legos would only last 2-3 attempts ... then they get grooves in them and loose grip. After a while I decided to come back to it later. Thinking I might go to the hardware store again and try another clamp.
Same thing happens to me. Some times the clamp gets too loose, but often after being used a lot, it’s all grooved and will just do the holding things job. On the other hand, some times new ones are too tight. I let em open holding something for a day or two until they get fit for razoring .
But as you know, it’s a try and error thing. When the clamp have the right amount of tension I can easily razor .3 and even make sfcs with it. Wish there were precision tension clamps in the market lol
Best.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
P

Very Nice!!!! Love the spacing and nice consistent wrap. Very well done!!! I like to space my coils a little bit as well when I install them.:popcorn:
Thank you, I appreciate it. I love the flavor of fc's and wanted to cut down on the resistance a little but still wanted to make the coil wife enough to fit the posts decently. Now I want to try a triple core fc and see how I do. More surface area, and more wraps for my specified resistance.

Do I still keep a 90° angle for the fussing or do I need to change it a little? I'm pretty excited to try this one actually.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you, I appreciate it. I love the flavor of fc's and wanted to cut down on the resistance a little but still wanted to make the coil wife enough to fit the posts decently. Now I want to try a triple core fc and see how I do. More surface area, and more wraps for my specified resistance.

Do I still keep a 90° angle for the fussing or do I need to change it a little? I'm pretty excited to try this one actually.

I would lean my angle ever so slightly backwards while doing a regular clapton to get it as tight as possible but a 90 degree angle will still work for triple core fused claptons. What I would also do if you are attempting the triple core for the first time is just put a paperclip an inch and a half in front of the clapton wire, clapton that inch and a half, move the paperclip another inch and a half forward and repeat until you’ve reached desired length. Can’t wait to see the triple cores brother they are a great vape!:cheers:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I would lean my angle ever so slightly backwards while doing a regular clapton to get it as tight as possible but a 90 degree angle will still work for triple core fused claptons. What I would also do if you are attempting the triple core for the first time is just put a paperclip an inch and a half in front of the clapton wire, clapton that inch and a half, move the paperclip another inch and a half forward and repeat until you’ve reached desired length. Can’t wait to see the triple cores brother they are a great vape!:cheers:
You should be doing how to vids. On youtube. Get sponsors and make some $ with your skills. Imo

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should be doing how to vids. On youtube. Get sponsors and make some $ with your skills. Imo
I agree. Bro knows his stuff. Many here do. When I get advice from the vets here I pay attention very closely. Shred is one of the good guys though. He should definitely do some how to's.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I agree. Bro knows his stuff. Many here do. When I get advice from the vets here I pay attention very closely. Shred is one of the good guys though. He should definitely do some how to's.

Some people on you tube are total morans. And people watch and think theyr getting good training. I too listen n remember to a bunch of people here. And ther work speaks for itself.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well 26g is .4, 32g is .2 so technically 4 strands in a square will be the equivilent amount of wire. The diameter of twisted wire will vary depending on how hard you twist them. Plus twisting wire together stretches each strand so they are no longer .2. idk ... maybe 5 or 6 depending on how hard you twist them?
AFAIK the twisting that results from straightening the wire by using a drill for a few seconds is completely negligible as for the wire thickness you'll end up with. As for the wire stretching as a result from twisting two identical wire strands together, the wire actually tends to just break before it stands a reasonable chance to be stretched by even just a few millimeters, but you'll notice the end result of having the multiple strands twisting around each other will be shorter in length than the original pieces of wire that went into it so in fact it will be ever so slightly more metal per unit length when compared to simply laying the pieces of wire in parallel and leaving them that way.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
AFAIK the twisting that results from straightening the wire by using a drill for a few seconds is completely negligible as for the wire thickness you'll end up with.
That is true. I didn't mean to imply that straightening each strand affects it's diameter in any meaningful way (well it does if you pull to hard or twist to long). I was talking about twisting multiple strands together.

As for the wire stretching as a result from twisting two identical wire strands together, the wire actually tends to just break before it stands a reasonable chance to be stretched by even just a few millimeters,
If you get even tension across the cores, and find the right drill hand tension, you can twist multiple strands enough that it is noticeably smaller, in diameter, that the sum of it's parts before it breaks. In the same way that you can take a single piece of wire and stretch/twist it up a couple of gauges. Of course the alloy comes into play with this. The softer the metal the more you can stretch it, and in turn change it's diameter, before it breaks.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That is true. I didn't mean to imply that straightening each strand affects it's diameter in any meaningful way (well it does if you pull to hard or twist to long). I was talking about twisting multiple strands together.
I know that that's what you were talking about. But these two different subjects are linked logically to each other in ways that not too many people seem to know about... for example, navigate to 2:31 in Squidoode's video below, and, for another example navigate to 6:17 in Kent's video (Kent from Twisted Messes) also below.
If you get even tension across the cores, and find the right drill hand tension, you can twist multiple strands enough that it is noticeably smaller, in diameter, that the sum of it's parts before it breaks. In the same way that you can take a single piece of wire and stretch/twist it up a couple of gauges. Of course the alloy comes into play with this. The softer the metal the more you can stretch it, and in turn change it's diameter, before it breaks.
That is true, as the twisting technique also has several many different variations that can make the technique a lot more interesting/complex than many think. That is, think these days IMO. :)

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
My ADV, SSFC in the LiT. Wanted to test this out in the Rebirth. But I just put a fresh set of aliens in it a couple days ago. So I'll give it a go next time.
28/40 Ni80 and .3 ss316L ribbon, 2.5mm ID, .13 ohms post-fire. It must have bounced back a lot, on the wrap, because it should have ohmed out at ~.1-.11 post-fire

PicsArt_03-08-04.12.08.jpg PicsArt_03-08-04.38.20.jpg PicsArt_03-08-04.31.47.jpg

VU Sponsors