Become a Patron!

Post your builds

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure if you can see this at all... dual side by side 28 Guage nichrome coils at 1.5mm in my subtank mini rba. Did this as a test to get around the weak draw on this rba. Works great! I think my favorite bull to date on this. Best draw from it, great flavor, and decent fog.

cec8e523e338c2b60369023183171fca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is my first attempt at making an Alien Clapton. Came out pretty shitty, but at least it was usable. I way underestimated the amount of wrapping wire I would need. Ended up with just enough usable length to make one coil - barely. Didn't even have enough to snip off of the opposite side of the post holes. Can't even wick it, unless I wick only one side into the juice well. As is, it will only hold enough juice for a one second hit.

Specs are 26/36 Ni80, 2mm ID, 0.17Ω

Anyways, the coil wrapping is uneven, but at least I was able to do it. I should be able to do better next time. Here are some pics:

Ohms.jpg

iStick1.jpg

iStick2.jpg

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally got a bunch more 34g kanthal and made a messy fused clapton build for my new Wotofo Lush. 34g around two strands of 28g. 6 wraps around a 2.5mm bit yielded a .3 ohm build. Bangin flavor. Solid cloudage. Really liking it at 95w. I can feel the heat behind my teeth, but the inhale is very smooth. The deck on the Lush is a joy to build on, too. Just wish I had some 36 instead...

I'm learning that for fused claptons, it's easier to wrap up enough for one coil at a time. I'd rather get enough for one that's perfect every time than mess up enough for two every other time. None of that core wire twisting over itself and leaving BDSM marks on the forearm from flailing around at max speed. I didn't even have to take the twists out before wrapping these. Who needs swivels? Not this guy. I've got the process down to a point where I can do enough for 8 coils in about 15 minutes. No screaming or anything.
1zcpwdc.jpg

Last edited:

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you seen my basic Clapton you will see what I mean lol
cfb08eef81d88ddeadd1e2e13a362907.jpg

old picture of 2x24 wrapped with 36.

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
36 gauge is still propably my favorite for making claptons. 40-44 gauges are nice and all, looks cool, sure, but they do not last very long when dry burning. I've gotten maybe four or five dry burns with 44N80 fused claptons, after that the wires become so fragile they start breaking and hotspotting... Those 36-38 claptons are way more durable.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hate 36 ga lol I started building with 28 so 36 is microscopic and a devil to work with lol. Thought about getting some 34 and trying cause I like working with 32 but love the flavor off of the 36

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just ordered some 32 kanth so going to dip into claptons for the first time when that shows up. Can't wait to finally try out running fused claptons!

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you do that with a torch? I'm guessing you used an external heat source since those coils don't look like they've been mounted. I've been trying to do something similar with nicrome, but I can't get the power levels quite right. I usually work as many of the shorts out as I can blind (power so low that the coils don't glow,) but I always overshoot on the full-power pulsing.

Last edited:

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's trial and error really. Just wash your hands before coiling, and torch the colors in or just clean the coils from any crap that got on them during coiling. They have to be absolutely clean to color properly.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's trial and error really. Just wash your hands before coiling, and torch the colors in or just clean the coils from any crap that got on them during coiling. They have to be absolutely clean to color properly.
Ahh, that's probably what I'm missing. I need to stop eating while I coil XD

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This looks nasty but hits great. Coils are two weeks old, but It ain't broke. uploadfromtaptalk1445625248775.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not as beautiful as others on here-but functions well. A dual coil 26Gauge 2MM titanium build at around 0.112 ohms.

nuznITGl.jpg

Confused as it should be higher-and the titanium I ordered is definitely for vaping as I got it from a vape seller, on a reel that says titanium from crazy wire.

All my TI builds turn out lower, very strange.

But in this case, its function over form-it works gorgeously on all my TI devices-I only use it on TI devices as I find you can still get dry hits on NI200 devices, even with the temp reducement.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perrrrty^

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first NI200 clapton-Not very beautiful, I've only made a few kanthal ones before though, this was my second attempt, best of the two.

I will get practice in and get them properly though, but here is how it turned out at the moment (I actually made it about a week ago, but only just thought to show everybody)

X2ZVH3D.jpg

I know its not the best-but it works quite nicely. I will get to the stage of other builders, I am going to make myself! lol :)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
32/26 Clapton, 7 wraps on 3mm screwdriver. Comes out to . 5 ohms... I do have a question though. Can I wrap some 26awg around the Clapton to make a different build? File to large to post a picture. Sorry for that

Bambua

Member For 4 Years
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445694404.630593.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445694436.077213.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445694452.265116.jpg

Wanted to try a more complex build just to see what it's like, made a fused Clapton with 2 26gauge Kanthal cores with a wrap of 33gaugrle Kanthal 3 wraps on a 3mm bit. At about 60 watts it's a nice warm flavorful vape. I'm not sure it's much different than like a 24gauge macro coil but it does hold a lot of juice in the Clapton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok... got my 32 gauge early. Only spent 5 minds on my first try at a fused clapton... not so pretty but work. Holds a load of juice and has mad flavor!! Only a single coil first run. 24 gauge kanthal cores wrapped in 32 kanthal.

397911ac3e24927a1042c5075192bb71.jpg

7552b86a483d38cbf9ebc38d39c876d3.jpg

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What are some tips to get a good flat fused clapton? Mine had some twisting. I used two pair of pliers to straighten it out the best I could... and we can see how that turned out. Haha

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ab669309ea3548ad4b70b9d547affa8b.jpg

Just a small build to try a new RDA, the Rampage.
Triple 28 kanthal/24 nichrome parallel.
The little cone is kick ass on the rampage. Blind dripping is easy

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What are some tips to get a good flat fused clapton?
I'm wondering the same thing. I untwist the best I can with a pair of nylon pliers, but can only seem to get about half the twist out.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What are some tips to get a good flat fused clapton? Mine had some twisting. I used two pair of pliers to straighten it out the best I could... and we can see how that turned out. Haha

I honestly just take the twists that are closer together out by hand. The rest get worked out as I wrap.

The trick is to be very slow and deliberate. You just have to really watch what you're doing. Grip the lead a couple of inches back and keep it real taut the whole time. As you wrap, twist the wire in the direction it needs to go to sit flat. If you mess it up, don't sweat it. Fused claptons coils can be unwound without ruining the whole coil. They're very pliable and yet hold their shape well, so all you have to do is keep that tension on that lead as you roll back a bad wrap and try again.

Ice_Berg

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.19 ohms triple 28ga ka1, twisted and wrapped with 36ga ka1 on a zep20151024_220123-1.jpg 20151024_221347-1.jpg hyrus tank at 70 watts with 80%vg. Amazing!

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haven't done quads in well over a year, now. I first tried them when I only had a mech and was pretty unimpressed.

Ohms out to .19. It's handling 125w pretty nicely.

I like quads now that I have something that can power them. My biggest issue with some of my high-power, high-surface-area standard dual-coil builds is that they just get too hot at the power levels they perform best at for me. The width of long, 3mm standard dual-coil setups also greatly reduces wicking efficiency. Compared to its dual coil equivalent, this is a cooler (but still warm,) smoother, more flavorful vape. The vapor production is nothing to scoff at, either.

I forgot how much of a pain quads are to do. I think I did decently, all things considered.

301j5mp.jpg

n6q6o3.jpg

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Michael's (or probably any craft store) sells a kit in the beading section that's got nylon tipped pliers and a few different kinds of toothless pliers. These are awesome for working out the twists without mangling the wires. Also: i found that if you keep the drill at the same speed the entire time you can almost always hold the far end when you're done and reverse the drill. If it's a nice even twist it usually comes right out. Good luck!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Michael's (or probably any craft store) sells a kit in the beading section that's got nylon tipped pliers and a few different kinds of toothless pliers. These are awesome for working out the twists without mangling the wires. Also: i found that if you keep the drill at the same speed the entire time you can almost always hold the far end when you're done and reverse the drill. If it's a nice even twist it usually comes right out. Good luck!
Funny, I was at jo anne fabrics when this was posted. Grabbed some nylon pliers

VU Sponsors