Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks like we will get a weather reprieve come Wed, supposed to drop into the 90's.
I feel like a kid the night before christmas.....:confetti:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I dove into a jar of jewish dills I made last week, damn are they delicious.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay Rich, spill the beans....you or Lannie find the cuc's yet?...............:teehee:
I can't spill the beans; Lannie said they all died. Didn't look for cukes today because I was busy screwing things back together in the cow barn, horse barn, and chicken coop. Just minor but necessary repairs...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't spill the beans; Lannie said they all died. Didn't look for cukes today because I was busy screwing things back together in the cow barn, horse barn, and chicken coop. Just minor but necessary repairs...
Damn, never heard of cuc's dying......:(

Sounds like you had another ruff day.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, beans die here a lot... and many other things.... (sorry if I'm a bit slow tonight - Peanut has decided she needs to practice her typing by walking on the keyboard. I put her on the floor and she jumps right back in my lap and up on the keyboard) :facepalm:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What's the deal with veggies dying, I would think the good soil would produce bumper crops each year. You said you have raised beds too, correct?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What's the deal with veggies dying, I would think the good soil would produce bumper crops each year. You said you have raised beds too, correct?
Raised beds and/or big tubs, with good soil, etc., etc. But sometimes we get occupied with other farm tasks and fail to pull those nasty weeds that often totally choke a plant, or the hot sun.... or failure to water the right section on the right day... could be any or all of the above. No matter where I have lived or what kind of soil in whatever state, every garden has needed more attention than what we can give lately. I'm gonna take the blame because Lannie is over-worked. I am not up to snuff anymore, so she tries to do her work and mine (at least the shit I cannot do anymore with the efficiency it requires) so we often miss something that needs doing because we are trying to fix something else. I pulled a dozen tomatoes this afternoon and noticed that there's about a hundred out there that need pulling "right F'ing now," but if I do, Lannie would need to do the canning right now and she's busy with other things of higher priority, and... and... Guess we're too old to wear those Superman/Supergirl outfits anymore....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hear you Rich......time to start downsizing the farm animals (MHO). That's what i'd do anyway.....wouldn't be killing myself for the sake of taking care of animals till that killed me.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I hear you Rich......time to start downsizing the farm animals (MHO). That's what i'd do anyway.....wouldn't be killing myself for the sake of taking care of animals till that killed me.
I am fairly certain that Lannie would rather die than have to put up with store-bought eggs and milk and cheese, etc. And she's just as stubborn as me -- that is, if I became so totally disabled as to not be able to do anything here at all, she would do ALL the work right up to the day it killed her. I seriously doubt that that mythical guy on the black horse with the scythe could come between Lannie and her love of her cows.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am fairly certain that Lannie would rather die than have to put up with store-bought eggs and milk and cheese, etc. And she's just as stubborn as me -- that is, if I became so totally disabled as to not be able to do anything here at all, she would do ALL the work right up to the day it killed her. I seriously doubt that that mythical guy on the black horse with the scythe could come between Lannie and her love of her cows.
Well it's a pity your out in timbuktu, you can't find some aspiring kid or teenager to help around the place.

Oops....I forgot....kids don't do that shit anymore.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I've told you before, when I was young the neighbor had a farm, him and his wife were in their 70's, both still baling hay, milking about 30 cows......et al

I used to love helping them anyway I could....they thought the world of me for helping, not expecting a dime in return. It's a shame kids these days don't have a CLUE what a hard days work actually is.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well it's a pity your out in timbuktu, you can't find some aspiring kid or teenager to help around the place.
Oops....I forgot....kids don't do that shit anymore.
Oddly, Dale, every kid I know for miles around here works his/her ass off, but their parent's ranches are keeping them too busy for them to hire themselves out for a couple old pharts. Add to this, any of those kids in high school lives in Faith at least five days of the week because that is cheaper than the time and gas to drive 60 miles round trip daily to go to school -- we have NO bus service. So when they have 1 or 1.5 days per week to spend at home, their chores-load is very high.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oddly, Dale, every kid I know for miles around here works his/her ass off, but their parent's ranches are keeping them too busy for them to hire themselves out for a couple old pharts. Add to this, any of those kids in high school lives in Faith at least five days of the week because that is cheaper than the time and gas to drive 60 miles round trip daily to go to school -- we have NO bus service. So when they have 1 or 1.5 days per week to spend at home, their chores-load is very high.
Gotcha....hard for me to picture your location in such a desolate area of the country.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Gotcha....hard for me to picture your location in such a desolate area of the country.
I would guess that all people in this country who live in or near a large city have no clue that such remote areas as this even exist. It is true (I have met some) that many people think eggs and steaks, etc. are made in the back of the grocery store and that movies with ranches where you have to ride a horse to herd the cows are just fairy tales. Surely there is no one who would ever consider living so far away from civilization and doing manual labor all their lives... what? No smart phones, plasma TVs, GameBoy/PS4s, or refrigerators that call in orders to the grocery store automatically? My GAWD! How primitive!!! No one lives that way today! Right... except some old timers who would rather live and die this way than to suffer with being imprisoned in a big city and forced to comply with the regulations of gated communities or homeowner associations.

And aren't you moving to EC to get away from that same shit?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I'm moving to EC to get away from it all....but I have three different companies here, I need to keep returning.

I'm not going to be tied down with animals tho...just fruit trees....Eli has a local man to care for everything, and labor is VERY cheap in EC....500 a month is living like a king to the locals.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
500 a month is living like a king to the locals.
Then, IF the US would still send me my social security if I moved there, I could live well and pay for someone else to do the labor. But they have no VA hospital, so how much does it cost to have a major operation down there?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Then, IF the US would still send me my social security if I moved there, I could live well and pay for someone else to do the labor. But they have no VA hospital, so how much does it cost to have a major operation down there?
The medical costs are about 50% lower than the US....many people fly there for that very reason.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I first had a portion of my pancreas removed, I had to take Creon, a digestive enzyme...it cost me 400 bucks for 90 tablets here, with insurance paying part of it....in EC I was buying the exact same script for $80 bucks...WITHOUT a script....just walk in an tell um what you need.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Matter of fact, I'm getting an MRI this Tuesday....it's $2800 bucks, but my insurance is paying 90% of it....in EC it's $800 bucks without insurance. If you have dual citizenship the cost is about $400 bucks.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The big problem I have with medical is that every operation the VA has done has cost me $0 and each prescription, regardless of how spendy it is to regular folks, costs me $8/month. That would be hard to beat, so I like to stay reasonably close to a VA hospital because, no matter how much I want to deny it, this body IS falling apart.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The big problem I have with medical is that every operation the VA has done has cost me $0 and each prescription, regardless of how spendy it is to regular folks, costs me $8/month. That would be hard to beat, so I like to stay reasonably close to a VA hospital because, no matter who much I want to deny it, this body IS falling apart.
I understand....wish we were talking about this 20 yrs ago.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I understand....wish we were talking about this 20 yrs ago.
I don't know if 20 years would be long enough, but if we were to go back even 35 years, AND I knew then what I know now (talk about a fairy tale!), a whole lot of things would be different. I believe I could have altered the direction I took and be less infirm today... blah blah blah... but here we are in the NOW and things have to be dealt with from this point forward. I am what I am and I will do the best I can with what I have.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if 20 years would be long enough, but if we were to go back even 35 years, AND I knew then what I know now (talk about a fairy tale!), a whole lot of things would be different. I believe I could have altered the direction I took and be less infirm today... blah blah blah... but here we are in the NOW and things have to be dealt with from this point forward. I am what I am and I will do the best I can with what I have.
I understand....and I'm also hitting the sack....have a great Monday....!

It's only supposed to be about 107 tomorrow, real treat compared to 111.....:crazy:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
G'nite, Dale. Sweet dreams and don't work too hard tomorrow. I guess I better hit the sack too, and given that no one else showed up tonight, I guess I'll turn out the lights now.

CLICK.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just to clarify ;) I don't know if the beans are dead, but since their normal life cycle is only about 90 to 100 days, and they DO die once they pod, I'm assuming they're done. When I have time, I'll dig around and see if I can find the dried pods in there under that avalanche of bindweed, and if so, I'll have seed to plant next year, IN POTS. I think I'm done with flat ground or even raised beds until this bindweed can be destroyed. IF it can be destroyed.

The cukes are still alive because I see the ends of their vines here and there, I just can't find the fruits.

I remember one summer, before the bindweed invaded, we had such a beautiful garden. All the beds and rows so neat and tidy, and going out for 15 or 20 minutes each morning kept the regular weeds in check. This bindweed is monstrous. Most people around here will just move their garden when it gets overrun with bindweed, but we don't have another protected enough place to put one. So we have to battle the bindweed or wait for it to move on. Leaving the garden fallow and unwatered for a couple of years would help.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Phil. listen closely. I pass out at home every single night about midnight, and regain consciousness around 7:30 AM when Wifey shakes my body. No doubt you can guess what I am talking about, but you have failed to provide any details about your problem so that we can have some empathy or even say "Get well." Did anyone bother to tell you what the problem was?
After a day of welding, he was preparing to relax. Drank a cup of chocolate moo juice, sat down in his chair, took his blood pressure, and blacked out. When his chest started pounding hard, I put a nitro pill under his tongue. That calmed down the hard thumping, but his pulse as still racing, and he was still unresponsive. So, I had to get him to the ER.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just to clarify ;) I don't know if the beans are dead, but since their normal life cycle is only about 90 to 100 days, and they DO die once they pod, I'm assuming they're done. When I have time, I'll dig around and see if I can find the dried pods in there under that avalanche of bindweed, and if so, I'll have seed to plant next year, IN POTS. I think I'm done with flat ground or even raised beds until this bindweed can be destroyed. IF it can be destroyed.

The cukes are still alive because I see the ends of their vines here and there, I just can't find the fruits.

I remember one summer, before the bindweed invaded, we had such a beautiful garden. All the beds and rows so neat and tidy, and going out for 15 or 20 minutes each morning kept the regular weeds in check. This bindweed is monstrous. Most people around here will just move their garden when it gets overrun with bindweed, but we don't have another protected enough place to put one. So we have to battle the bindweed or wait for it to move on. Leaving the garden fallow and unwatered for a couple of years would help.
Wow....Lannie....I never heard of bindweed before, until Rich mentioned it....It's hard for me to imagine how invasive the weed actually is. Please post a picture of the weed if you have a moment.

You certainly have the right idea about the bean seeds, they'll work nicely next year....Best of luck to you both...!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening pholks......:vino:

Beautiful day here, I think it only hit about 105 today......Yahoo........NOT.....:crazy:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Please post a picture of the weed if you have a moment.
I posted three pix of it a couple weeks ago and wasn't it you who posted one just a couple days ago? (wild morning glory on dry cracked ground) Same stuff, just a lot thicker here in tilled and wet soil.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How was life on the Homestead today, Rich?.....anything exciting happen......:teehee:

I could prolly answer that question myself, but I enjoy hearing your take on it......:giggle:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh that's correct....I'm losing it......:idea:
Not to worry... we are, after all, old pharts. :)
How was life on the Homestead today, Rich?.....anything exciting happen......:teehee:
I could prolly answer that question myself, but I enjoy hearing your take on it......:giggle:
Nuttin' new... well, I screwed a piece of plywood to the bottom of the calf stall gate to stop the baby bitch from sneaking out while Lannie is trying to milk her mommy. Then put longer screws in the cow pen gate latch because someone keeps pulling the latch off the gate... etc., etc. Nothing exciting...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was supposed to have an MRI tomorrow morning at 7:30 AM....at 4:30 this afternoon the girl from the hospital calls, says she hasn't received a GO from my insurance company "doctor" to pay for the scan.

You ever hear of anything like that in your life? The insurance company "Doctor"?

I assume the dumb bastards forgot to submit my doctors request for an MRI to my insurance company until late this afternoon, when the damn place was probably already closed for the day on the right-coast.....unbelievable...!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Gotta have lots of different size screws - lag bolts - et al.... on a farm.....:deadhorse:
Oh yeah.... the shop has dozens of bins on the wall for wood screws (1/2-3/4", 1-1.5", 2", 3", 4", 5"), machine screws of many different sizes, bolts, nuts, washers of half a dozen configurations, etc. Being so far away from a hardware store, if you don't have it on hand, the job ain't gettin' done...
You ever hear of anything like that in your life? The insurance company "Doctor"?
Heard it a lot when we lived back in Orygun and before I got hooked into the VA system.

VU Sponsors