Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The Mrs. is out of town and it is a free movie weekend on DirecTV.

Cold Beer and hot pizza and I am set!

Just taking a break from watching Django Unchained.

The part with all of the clan members getting ready to go on a raid is PRICELESS!

Right up there with the cowboys eating beans around the campfire in Blazing Saddles.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Watching Into The Woods and really enjoying it. I love a good musical.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Something I was part of in the 80's... (Crazy times)...Going to watch this again later tonight
The Football Factory

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Going to watch A Most Violent Year.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
20/20 Investigative Reporting/ Documentary
Just watched this...Anyone with Kids please watch..You'll be shocked about Education in the US

Stupid in America

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A question to all you movie buffs...Do you think Remakes of Old shows to movies or Just remakes of old movies ever work?...I just found out they are making a old UK show (Dad's Army) in to a movie and what I know from previous ventures like this they NEVER work IMO...What do you guys think?... The remakes of “Arthur” (2011) and “Clash of the Titans” (2010) just to name two were Horrible... if you know any that you think worked they are also welcome...Also why do you think they do this...Ran out of ideas, lazy...etc?

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A question to everyone...Do you think Remakes of Old shows to movies or Just remakes of old movies ever work?...I just found out they are making a old UK show (Dad's Army) in to a movie and what I know from previous ventures like this they NEVER work IMO...What do you guys think?... The remakes of “Arthur” (2011) and “Clash of the Titans” (2010) were Horrible if you know any that you think worked they are also welcome
Very rarely do they work. John Carpenter's The Thing worked. But I've never seen any movies based on TV shows work as entertainment or even produce at the box office (maybe except for 21 Jump Street) so I wonder why they keep on doing it. I'm waiting for a Gilligan's Island movie.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Very rarely do they work. John Carpenter's The Thing worked. But I've never seen any movies based on TV shows work as entertainment or even produce at the box office (maybe except for 21 Jump Street) so I wonder why they keep on doing it. I'm waiting for a Gilligan's Island movie.
I know... very rarely if that!...it's only a matter of time before Gilligan's Island...I just looked this up about 21 jump street "Domestic Total Gross: $191,719,337"...As you know sometimes it's just the actors who bring in the crowds...I'm thinking that was the case there

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Some may not agree, but I did like The A-Team movie. Typically, no. I'd rather not see re-makes of classics. The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka. I refuse to watch the newer ones.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know... very rarely if that!...it's only a matter of time before Gilligan's Island...I just looked this up about 21 jump street "Domestic Total Gross: $191,719,337"...As you know sometimes it's just the actors who bring in the crowds...I'm thinking that was the case there
The 21 Jump Street movies did make me laugh, but the 21 Jump Street TV show wasn't a comedy. I wonder why they do that, turn TV dramas into film comedies. Starchy and Hutch comes to mind. Also the remake of the movie Stepford Wives which was a very creepy movie turned into a lame comedy starring Mathew Broderick (honestly one of my least favorite actors of all time). And then they put Mathew Broderick in one of the Godzilla remakes, wtf? I'm not sure if you can consider Scarface a remake, it was VERY loosely based on the original Scarface but really had nothing to do with it at all. The worst remake I've seen lately was Evil Dead remake, so shitty.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Some may not agree, but I did like The A-Team movie. Typically, no. I'd rather not see re-makes of classics. The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka. I refuse to watch the newer ones.
I didn't watch the remake of the A-Team...was it a goof on the original?...Goofs can work it's when they do a Identical that's when for the most part it's Horrible

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The 21 Jump Street movies did make me laugh, but the 21 Jump Street TV show wasn't a comedy. I wonder why they do that, turn TV dramas into film comedies. Starchy and Hutch comes to mind. Also the remake of the movie Stepford Wives which was a very creepy movie turned into a lame comedy starring Mathew Broderick (honestly one of my least favorite actors of all time). And then they put Mathew Broderick in one of the Godzilla remakes, wtf? I'm not sure if you can consider Scarface a remake, it was VERY loosely based on the original Scarface but really had nothing to do with it at all. The worst remake I've seen lately was Evil Dead remake, so shitty.
I didn't see this when I posted my last post...See that was a goof 21 Jump street that is

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another remake that was horrible “The Karate Kid” (2010)
:D
But then you have remakes of foreign films that sometimes work, like Infernal Affairs remade as the brilliant The Departed, and then sometimes you have foreign films that are remade frame by frame identically and you have to wonder what's the point when you can just watch the original one, like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo or Let the Right One In.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
But then you have remakes of foreign films that sometimes work, like Infernal Affairs remade as the brilliant The Departed, and then sometimes you have foreign films that are remade frame by frame identically and you have to wonder what's the point when you can just watch the original one, like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo or Let the Right One In.
Here is a list of UK shows that were remade for the US ordnance .. you'll will be quite shocked on how many ...Even All in the family was remade...Very few US shows are remade for a UK ordnance...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_British_television_series

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I gotto go shovel talk to you later Ash Cash.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm waiting for a Gilligan's Island movie.
There are already a few: IMDB - Gilligan's Island
Unless you just mean remakes of them.

Main thing to remember is the crowd. While older people may know a movie is a remake and may be able to compare it to an earlier version, a younger person wont know it's a remake or may not have seen or like the original. There is far more money to be made from teenagers attracted to flashy graphics then there is from older films that weren't made with the technology we have today.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are already a few: IMDB - Gilligan's Island
Unless you just mean remakes of them.

Main thing to remember is the crowd. While older people may know a movie is a remake and may be able to compare it to an earlier version, a younger person wont know it's a remake or may not have seen or like the original. There is far more money to be made from teenagers attracted to flashy graphics then there is from older films that weren't made with the technology we have today.
You just explained why Lone Ranger bombed.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just finished watching Dracula the Untold Story
Nice movie. Will definitely be something I watch more then once.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just finished watching Dracula the Untold Story
Nice movie. Will definitely be something I watch more then once.

I watched 30 Days of Night last night. Very scary movie. Almost as scary as The Descent.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I watched 30 Days of Night last night. Very scary movie. Almost as scary as The Descent.

Don't forget to watch the 2nd 30 days of night movie.
Seen the 2nd Descent movie yet? I thought it was as good as the first.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Don't forget to watch the 2nd 30 days of night movie.
Seen the 2nd Descent movie yet? I thought it was as good as the first.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't think the second Descent was as good as the first but it was still pretty damn good and scary.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The 'wrong turn' series is a nice action horror. It's about a severely inbred family living in the wilderness and kidnapping unsuspecting travelers to torture, rape, and eat them. 6 movies released between 2003 and 2014.

Another movie with a similar setup is The Hills Have Eyes series. I haven't seen the original 1977 movie, but it was remade in 2006 and a 2nd movie was released in 2007. A family stayed in the Navada desert despite nuclear testing and the radiation combined with massive inbreeding turned the family into a small community of mutated people that kidnaps unsuspecting travelers to torture, rape, and eat them.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just watched Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson( Trailer below) ...I find him very fascinating...Forget the movie fear and Loathing...Bill Murry did a better job in Where the Buffalo Roam

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wonder if I'm the only one but my movie choices are mostly old obscure kung fu flicks. Yeah Bruce Lee's were good, but he only did so few. I catch myself all the time going thru Hulu and watching these old 60s and 70s flicks with dubbed voices and lots of fighting and really scratched video. Me likey, not real big on the newer stuff cuz most of it is just subtitles anymore. I actually think the story lines on some of them are pretty good, if a bit Corny. Case in point the original drunken master with Jackie Chan, funny and entertaining.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Despite the rather stupid movie title, Escobar: Paradise Lost is a damn good film. It's very suspenseful and realistic. The only implausibility in it is that the Canadians who set up shop on a beach in Colombia are so whimpy. I doubt anyone as whimpy as these characters would have the guts to leap right into the middle of a jungle ruled by c*caine cartels like that. But luckily the two whimpiest of them don't have a lot of screen time and the main protagonist, who starts out pretty whimpy and who falls in love with Escobar's niece, while always giving surprised and stand-offish looks to the goings on around her that should have raised everyone's suspicion right from the starts, slowly progresses into kind of a bad-ass by the end; and although it's no trek through FarCry 3, his transformation from a helpless victim into someone who finally stands up for himself has a great momentum that pays off in the end. Benicio del Toro is nothing short of superb as Escobar, ominously talking in riddles behind which are his murderous intentions. The cinematography is also superb, giving this film a similar feel to any number of classic gangster films. But the best part of this film is that it skips all the Hollywood cliches. There's no happy ending for anyone. It's as pessimistic as The Counselor. Nobody is spared the cruelty, not even the children. There's no walking away into the sunset to live happily ever after. It's the real deal, a portrait of what happens when evil gains ultimate power and convinces itself that it is good.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was wondering whether Escobar: Paradise Lost was worth it, but it seems is a good flick and I will definitely see it.

And I will recomment to anyone Monsters (2010). You can tell that they didn't had much of a budget, and the general conception is a bit overused as of late. I had my doubts about it, it seemed boring, but the whole movie is amazing. It's slow paced and has a nostalgic note to it but for anyone who loves sci fi is a movie worth watching.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just watched The Theory of Everything last night and liked it...A few times had to go back to see what he said when he got bad :oops:...I have seen this before and I'm a big fan of Richard Dawkins ..... I have twisted my wifes arm to watch it with me tonight..She's not really in to DOC's
Richard Dawkins -The God Delusion
In full

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
About to watch The Theory of Everything

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Finally finished watching The Theory of Everything last night. It's a pretty good movie, worth watching, but at the same time it's a bit disappointing. The title of the movie suggests that more attention would be given to Hawking's actual theory, but this entire movie is about his relationship with his wife, and even in that it falls short of the sentimentality needed to carry a good love story. They get together so quickly that we really don't understand his wife's attraction to him or why she falls so deeply in love with him so immediately that she's willing to sacrifice the rest of her life taking care of a severely handicapped person. I don't mind a good love story, but then call it The Theory of Love or something. Hawking isn't portrayed as especially brilliant. Sure, there's a few scenes where he wins an award, presents his theories to his peers and receives praise, writes his famous book, but these things just happen in the film in a matter of seconds and then they are over and we're back to his wife spoon feeding him or what the next upgrade to his wheelchair is going to be. We're never really allowed inside his mind to get a sense of the brilliance that is going on. I give Eddie Redmayne huge props for pulling off the acting job that he did, but doing so within the confines of such a lazy script makes this a rather good story about a disabled person who is lucky enough to have someone who loves and cares for him, but not a good movie about Stephen Hawking.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Finally finished watching The Theory of Everything last night. It's a pretty good movie, worth watching, but at the same time it's a bit disappointing. The title of the movie suggests that more attention would be given to Hawking's actual theory, but this entire movie is about his relationship with his wife, and even in that it falls short of the sentimentality needed to carry a good love story. They get together so quickly that we really don't understand his wife's attraction to him or why she falls so deeply in love with him so immediately that she's willing to sacrifice the rest of her life taking care of a severely handicapped person. I don't mind a good love story, but then call it The Theory of Love or something. Hawking isn't portrayed as especially brilliant. Sure, there's a few scenes where he wins an award, presents his theories to his peers and receives praise, writes his famous book, but these things just happen in the film in a matter of seconds and then they are over and we're back to his wife spoon feeding him or what the next upgrade to his wheelchair is going to be. We're never really allowed inside his mind to get a sense of the brilliance that is going on. I give Eddie Redmayne huge props for pulling off the acting job that he did, but doing so within the confines of such a lazy script makes this a rather good story about a disabled person who is lucky enough to have someone who loves and cares for him, but not a good movie about Stephen Hawking.
Remember This is Hollywood and a film for the ma$$e$ ..If it was going to be about his actual theorys it would go over 99% of peoples heads...Love stories are(Bad pun coming) Universal
WtMbn.jpg

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My gf and I just watched "Frank" last night. I really really enjoyed it. Great film....plus I love me some Maggie Gylenhal 8)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My gf and I just watched "Frank" last night. I really really enjoyed it. Great film....plus I love me some Maggie Gylenhal 8)
Is that the movie about the rock star who wears a big fake head?

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thats it, very good movie, i even kind of like the music in it.
Thanks for the tip. Will check it out when I get the chance.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was in the mood for an older movie, so watched Richie Rich this morning. Then I watched The Maze Runner (again, maybe the 4th or 5th time). Just finished watching the first Fantastic Four, now going to watch the 2nd Fantastic Four

NXX.SXPXRNX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Unbroken was an excellent movie made me teary-eyed at some parts.

The way the main character transformed through the movie from a delinquent to a patriotic, athlete was inspiring.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I saw American sniper on Friday. Was a great movie. Never saw a movie that after it was over the entire place walked out in silence. If you haven't seen it, you should plan to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Saw Unbroken and American Sniper both good movies .

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just watched "Better Living Through Chemistry", was pretty good. Nice and light/quirky. Sam Rockwell is great in it.

VU Sponsors