Movie Talk

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Seen any good movies lately? Seen any bad movies lately? I'll start.

(This comment was posted in a previous thread but I thought the topic deserved its own.)

Well I got to see a review copy of the new Annie movie and all I can say is what a missed opportunity. I was so hoping for a jazzed up version of the musical but it was so sterile and poorly acted it actually took me three sittings to sludge through it. Nobody in the movie has any particular singing talent and even less dancing talent, as a million cut shots that don't allow more than two seconds of dancing to be shown at any given time demonstrates. Loved Quvenzhané Wallis in Beasts of the Southern Wild of course but she, like everyone else in this mess is totally miscast (and in a movie called Annie in which she plays Annie, she gets second billing to Jamie Foxx, which says a lot in my opinion). Jamie Foxx seems to be struggling through the entire thing as if he doesn't even want to be there. Cameron Diaz is just annoying and her musical numbers are cringe worthy. Rose Byrne displays no chemistry with Jamie Foxx but the plot forces them into some kind of weird attraction presented for an audience of ten year old girls anyway. This is NOT The Whiz, it's just another version of Annie not even done as well as the one from the 80s and that one wasn't even done that well.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I really enjoyed Chef. Made me want to have a Cuban sandwich.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol, no kidding. That looked awesome.
Another interesting movie about food that came out recently is The Hundred-Foot Journey. Although not as good as Chef, it's definitely a must see for anyone interested in the topic.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We're picking up Expendables 3 and A Million Ways to Die in the West later today.

Thanks for starting the thread!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Despite crappy reviews received, I thought Expendables 3 was a real winner. Especially liked Wesley Snipes in it. I didn't even know he was out of jail yet so I didn't even recognize him at first (you'll see what I mean during the opening scenes).

I won't comment on Million Ways. Let me know what you think about it later and we can compare opinions. ;<))

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I was talking to my son the other evening about Old movies he has not seen and how great some of them were even without special effects, sex and violence. So I am going to order "Mans Favorite Sport" and "The Bell, Book and Candle" from the Library for a movie weekend.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was talking to my son the other evening about Old movies he has not seen and how great some of them were even without special effects, sex and violence. So I am going to order "Mans Favorite Sport" and "The Bell, Book and Candle" from the Library for a movie weekend.
That sounds like fun. I'm not that familiar with those films so thanks for the tip to this child stuck in a man's body. ;<))

(just did a quick search on those two movies and they look like a lot of fun, can't believe I'm not familiar with them considering Rock Hudson and James Stewart)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I keep seeing commercial for Exodus: Gods and Kings. It that suppose to be some type of Hercules-like version of the story of Moses?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone ever see a movie called Shock Waves, an old time movie about nazi zombies or something? I was trying to download a copy of it but I'm stuck out in the country right now with slow internet and only managed to see the first ten minutes of it. Seems pretty creepy.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Damn, should have left well enough alone. Got sick of how slow it was loading so I closed the page but now I can't even access youtube for some reason to get it back on. Oh well, some other day I suppose.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
That sounds like fun. I'm not that familiar with those films so thanks for the tip to this child stuck in a man's body. ;<))

(just did a quick search on those two movies and they look like a lot of fun, can't believe I'm not familiar with them considering Rock Hudson and James Stewart)

Yep, they are indeed classics and well worth watching.

But if you are at all interested in vampire inspired movies, you really do need to get ahold of a copy of "Innocent Blood"

Great movie and funny as hell without a lot of blood by todays standards.

And your only chance to see Don Rickles as a vampire!

What more needs to be said?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We watched Expendables 3. We gave it our version of the thumbs up rating... the golf clap.
golf-clap.gif

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone ever see a movie called Shock Waves, an old time movie about nazi zombies or something? I was trying to download a copy of it but I'm stuck out in the country right now with slow internet and only managed to see the first ten minutes of it. Seems pretty creepy.

Yeah, it's a true classic of it's genre. Great flick!
Review: http://classic-horror.com/reviews/shock_waves_1977

Lots of others in the ghostly evil dead/nazi genre like: The Keep, Below, Ghost Ship, Death Ship, The Outpost series, Dead Snow...etc.

Yeah, I have too many movies to count. ;-)

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like stuff like the original " The Thing " with Kurt Russel lol.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I saw The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I last Saturday with my sister.
I have only read the first book (I've heard the books get worse and the book version of Mockingjay was a major letdown) but the movie was awesome! My sister read all three books and said the movies are a great degree better.
The flow of the movie was great and the ending has me so so so excited for Part II.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And..... Last night I watched White Chicks on TV. I was too busy vaping (and too lazy) to turn the channel. Let's not talk about this one... LOL

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, it's a true classic of it's genre. Great flick!
Review: http://classic-horror.com/reviews/shock_waves_1977

Lots of others in the ghostly evil dead/nazi genre like: The Keep, Below, Ghost Ship, Death Ship, The Outpost series, Dead Snow...etc.

Yeah, I have too many movies to count. ;-)
I actually watched Death Ship a couple of weeks ago. I remember seeing it when I was a kid, when HBO was first invented and they use to play the same movies over and over, must have watched it a dozen times. When I saw it recently it was MUCH less scary but of course everything is scary when you're a kid.

SouthPhilly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For anyone that likes watching cooking shows or Food Network, I recommend Chef. We really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed Chef. Made me want to have a Cuban sandwich.

Chef was an amazing movie... I'm a chef in Philadelphia Pa and after watching it and seeing the effort the cast and crew put into researching the "bizz" it was finally a culinary move I could really get into.

I've been looking at a few trucks myself... not really sure which direction I would go in as for food... but the idea to take a summer, work and travel around the usa.... could be a lot of fun.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah, finally got a subtitled copy of Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haven't seen The Guest yet. I thought St. Vincent was watchable just to see Bill Murray do something new. It did get too sappy at the end though; wasn't any Bad News Bears with Walter Matthau that's for sure.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Okay so I watched Dead Snow 2 and it was pretty lame. It made the same mistake Evil Dead 2 made, played everything for laughs instead of being a serious sequel to a very scary and sometimes funny film.

ChiggyVonVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I keep hearing about a Marvel Comics movie Guardians of the Galaxy is it worth watching? I have not read comic books since I was a kid but did like the avengers thor and captain america movies. Hate X men refuse to watch any of those movies.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I keep hearing about a Marvel Comics movie Guardians of the Galaxy is it worth watching? I have not read comic books since I was a kid but did like the avengers thor and captain america movies. Hate X men refuse to watch any of those movies.
I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a lot of fun. It reminded me of Farscape in a way, and even Firefly. If you're not familiar with those they are both remarkable short lived science fiction tv shows that can be rented at netflix.

ChiggyVonVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yea those are both good shows. Let's not forget Space above and beyond points to avatar on vu <<<<

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just watched To Write Love on Her Arms. Very moving, poignant, probably the best film I've seen about drug addiction and depression.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Richard Roeper gives Horrible Bosses 2 a D+. I wonder what the + is for. For a great movie about a horrible boss played by Kevin Spacey check out Swimming with Sharks.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Watching The Best of Me. Looks like it's going to be a winner.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just curious if anyone would be interested in a lost movie thread. I have seen one before and it works like this: Someone who can't remember a movie gives a brief description of what he/she remembers about it, and the rest of us try to figure out what movie it is. P.S. just watched Fury and A Walk Among the Tombstones this weekend; I thought both were decent films. P.P.S. I liked farscape as well. However BSG is still in my top 5 shows of all time. :D

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Prisoners - 4 stars

Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal. Jackman's young daughter and her friend come up missing and the movie explores just how far a father will go to get to the truth. Very intense without being over the top violent or gory. This is the best movie I have seen in a long time. The cinematography is a work of art (I'm a pro photographer), and there is some symbolism or feeling conveyed in almost every scene. It has to be watched twice to truly appreciate everything it has to offer.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just curious if anyone would be interested in a lost movie thread. I have seen one before and it works like this: Someone who can't remember a movie gives a brief description of what he/she remembers about it, and the rest of us try to figure out what movie it is. P.S. just watched Fury and A Walk Among the Tombstones this weekend; I thought both were decent films. P.P.S. I liked farscape as well. However BSG is still in my top 5 shows of all time. :D

You're talking about the original BSG, right?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I watched the original as a kid, but sadly no. :)
You should rent it and binge it. That's what I did and it's really a remarkable show. When it first came out I think it wasn't taken that seriously because it was seen as a Star Wars rip off, but it's really well written and engaging.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
<--- Die hard Star Wars fan. I could never get into BSG...or Star Trek for that matter. I watched a few episodes of the "new" BSG and wasn't impressed by it. I don't think I've ever watched the older stuff.

No, the only sci-fi I've ever been impressed with outside of Star Wars was Firefly (obviously). And that didn't even last a full season.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm excited for the new Jurassic Park !!)@(!))!@)_$(_)#*(%)($()*@!*()!!@

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm waiting for the Race With the Devil and Suspiria remakes (hopefully they won't be as bad as the Evil Dead and I Spit on Your Grave remakes)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just watched TUSK about a pod caster who gets kidnapped in Canada by a serial killer who turns him into a walrus. Lol, wonderfully demented.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm waiting for the Race With the Devil and Suspiria remakes (hopefully they won't be as bad as the Evil Dead and I Spit on Your Grave remakes)

I didn't think the Evil Dead remake was that bad.. minus the arm ripping part at the end of it lol - that was a tad ridiculous

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have been on a Terry Thomas kick lately...All of the movies have been B/W 1950's/60's British comedies ...The last one I saw was this weekend and was The original "school for scoundrels"...Very funny man In very funny Films and who always got casted as a upper class "Cad and Bounder":) A lot of Americans probably know him from the movie..." It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"
terry.png

Last edited:

ChiggyVonVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To be honest I can't remember the last movie I watched. Been watching tv shows lately but every once in awhile I binge watch movies. Speaking of my next weekend off I may have to binge watch Christmas sorry have to be politically correct "HOLIDAY", movies "Die hard & Lethal Weapon".

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The first movie I ever saw was Star Wars at a drive in with my dad when it first came out. I saw all the Star Trek movies, but thought they were just ok. Thought Star Wars movies were better. The first of the new Star Trek movies is a different story. I was really impressed. Tying it to the old movies while rebooting the story, and speeding up the pace of the action while maintaining the academic angle Trek is known for was expertly accomplished. Very well done.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The best thing I've seen so far this year was Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenaal and Rene Russo. They billed it as a thriller, but it's really darkly comedic with a lot of Taxi Driver thrown in (which is a comparison that comes up a lot, and is well earned). Highly recommended if you're into anything slightly off beat.

Next thing I'm looking forward to is 'Inherent Vice' which has a stellar production team as well as an awesome cast, they really brought this adaptation together in the best way possible.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm asking for Guardian of the Galaxy on Blu-ray for Christmas. I haven't seen it yet (No spoilers). I've heard GotG is beyond good!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just watched The Good Lie about "the lost boys of Sudan". Wonderful film. I would recommend it to all.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, I'm watching this now:

lost_girl_ca-show.jpg

Yeah, it's not a movie...but it should be!

Season 5, Ep 1... TY Canada... :D

VU Sponsors