Become a Patron!

Movie Talk

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sure,if I want to pay for a vpn, but then I might as well pay for the movie. :p Ironically as I posted that I thought to myself, 'newsgroups, how 1996....' another viable option though. :D
I don't use vpn but I'm not going into detail here how I get around it;)

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not that I have any personal experience at it, but I hear that if you use streaming sites you need to have some awfully fine anti-virus protection. You really need to know what you're doing otherwise just pay for Netflix and don't even try it otherwise you'll infect your computer.
Depends upon the particular site. Plus using additional add ons like no script and ad blocker are probably more effective than virus protection. Most of that is hype to keep you away though (as I adjust my tin foil hat.......)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree but for the most part you only get infected if you are getting software or files in RAR with key gens or cracks..etc but never from a movie or mp3...But with anything as you know you always scan a files before opening it...I use about 3 to 4 scanners on them file/files... sure it can still happen but like anything it's not 100%
The viruses that come from the streaming sites usually come from the banner ads, not from the movies themselves, and there's also a lot of fake sites out there that claim they have a movie but when you try to click on the link you get a virus. I'm just saying this in case anyone is reading this thread and gets the bright idea that it's so easy to find these films. You really have to have a very protected computer and know what you are doing, just a warning. Not that I know anything first hand about such things, lol, just hypothesizing.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use vpn but I'm not going into detail here how I get around it;)
Onion router? That has it's own pitfalls as well. Nothing is 100% guaranteed :D ALthough for a while I had a nice little leeching option going with my next door neighbor who couldn't comprehend that changing the name of your wireless router did not in fact help if you don't create a password. :D

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends upon the particular site. Plus using additional add ons like no script and ad blocker are probably more effective than virus protection. Most of that is hype to keep you away though (as I adjust my tin foil hat.......)
Noscript. That will pretty much take care of everything.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sure,if I want to pay for a vpn, but then I might as well pay for the movie. :p Ironically as I posted that I thought to myself, 'newsgroups, how 1996....' another viable option though. :D
Newsgroups are great but you're...Very 1990's:D

Oh, by the way, saw American Sniper directed by Clint Eastwood last night. It was a decent war film. Reminded me a lot of Hurtlocker. I did feel that there was something missing though, a certain intensity. I can't put my finger on it. For everything the guy went through serving so many tours and going back and forth from home with his family to the war zone, I would think that I would be more engaged in his character but for some reason I wasn't that much. Not a bad film but missed the mark on being up there with classics such as Saving Private Ryan or Deerhunter. On a Richard Roeper scale I'd give it a B-.
Loved the Hurt Locker and Clint usually make damn good movies (Gran Torino) Cant wait to see it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Loved the Hurt Locker and Clint usually make damn good movies (Gran Torino) Cant wait to see it.
I love how Clint never does the same thing twice. If you didn't know, you'd never suspect this is a Clint Eastwood film and wouldn't find out until the closing credits. It's like nothing he's done before

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IDK, his last few movies haven't been so good. Remember Jersey Boys,Hereafter,J.Edgar? No? Yeah, I don't remember them either :p:D

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IDK, his last few movies haven't been so good. Remember Jersey Boys,Hereafter,J.Edgar? No? Yeah, I don't remember them either :p:D
Everyone is allowed a few duds, especially in a career as long as his has been. How about Unforgiven, Bridges of Madison County, Mystic River, you can even go back to Play Misty For Me, that's how long he's been directing.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Although I think if Clint HAD directed American Sniper ten years or fifteen years ago it would have probably have been much more intense.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agreed,someone of his stature deserves a pass on a few not so good movies. When you hit a streak though, you start to worry. Here's hoping Sniper is his slumpbuster.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The viruses that come from the streaming sites usually come from the banner ads, not from the movies themselves, and there's also a lot of fake sites out there that claim they have a movie but when you try to click on the link you get a virus. I'm just saying this in case anyone is reading this thread and gets the bright idea that it's so easy to find these films. You really have to have a very protected computer and know what you are doing, just a warning. Not that I know anything first hand about such things, lol, just hypothesizing.
Yep there are even fake pirate bay and kickass sites out there when you search but as long as you know the real URL your fine...What with the banner AD's like you said AD blocks, Stop Script...ect do a pretty good job...Some time ago well not that long ago ECF had a Banner AD and my browser wouldn't even let me go there due to it and It wasn't just me... it was a known issue and I believe threads were even made about it there about the bad script

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep there are even fake pirate bay and kickass sites out there when you search but as long as you know the real URL your fine...What with the banner AD's like you said AD blocks, Stop Script...ect do a pretty good job...Some time ago well not that long ago ECF had a Banner AD and my browser wouldn't even let me go there due to it and It wasn't just me... it was a known issue and I believe threads were even made about it there about the bad script
Were the threads shut down and everyone participating in them banned? :p

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Streaming sites. pfft.
Probably have more movies on my media PC then exist on most streaming sites :p

Watched Big Hero 6. Nice movie. Kept my attention really well.
But, I like Japanese culture, so that might have helped a bit. lol

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I dig the Mark Twain quote.... have you ever seen the mysterious stranger? Old 80's claymation film. Creepy as hell....
What with the sig...Thanks and it is so true!..No I haven't seen it but I'm looking to DL right now ... But I do Love a bit of creepy claymation :D

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was pleasantly surprised by Edge of Tomorrow (seems it has been renamed to Live Die Repeat for video. Lotsa great actors doing a fine job. Tom Cruise's gradual transformation from idiot to hero was very nicely done and his co-star Emily Blunt was great.

For those who like wacked out, over the top, low budget movies Frankenstein's Army rocked on almost all levels. Best zombies/monsters and the 'set' was perfect.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was pleasantly surprised by Edge of Tomorrow (seems it has been renamed to Live Die Repeat for video. Lotsa great actors doing a fine job. Tom Cruise's gradual transformation from idiot to hero was very nicely done and his co-star Emily Blunt was great.

For those who like wacked out, over the top, low budget movies Frankenstein's Army rocked on almost all levels. Best zombies/monsters and the 'set' was perfect.

wtf? frankenstein's army looks totally awesome, surprised i've never heard of it before, will definitely check it out

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I liked the Edge of Tomorrow, too. We both did. It got lousy reviews. I thought it was cool. We generally go by word of mouth or imdb ratings. Imdb is usually a little less than we'd give it. One example of a better review than I'd EVER give was Magic Magic. Stunned how much we disliked that movie.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Its been a rough day so I am looking for something on the lighter side for tonight.

Down Periscope with Kelsey Grammer (misspelled I am guessing).

Something easy on the brain and funny.

Well IMHO anyway.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Its been a rough day so I am looking for something on the lighter side for tonight.

Down Periscope with Kelsey Grammer (misspelled I am guessing).

Something easy on the brain and funny.

Well IMHO anyway.
Easy on the brain and funny always turns my day around. I need the same. I hope your day becomes less sandpapery, too UncleRJ.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looks like I'll be watching The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg tonight.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Gambler was a slightly above average film, really just a rehash of the old James Caan film with a few new twists. Was worth watching because just about anything with John Goodman in it is worth watching. Mark Wahlberg's character could have used a little background though; nothing really explains why he's this borderline suicidal gambler taking huge risks and getting in debt with three deadly loan sharks, but his performance is also above average (not great but okay). This is probably one you'll want to wait until it comes out on video to see as there isn't anything spectacular that's worth the price of theater admission.

Now for the second half of tonight's double feature, about to watch The Imitation Game about mathematicians breaking codes during WWII.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Maybe because I feel a bit home sick but I'm on a bit of a British Film thing right now...This film was based on a true story that happened around my area...They even mention my town in the film :)...Essex Boys

Jackson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Q to OP..Do documentaries count? I try to watch a few a week

:D
geek.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I posted one a bit back. Called Sound and Fury. It was about kids and cochlear implants and the deaf community.

Last edited:

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A good family movie is Secondhand Lions. It's got an excellent cast. Sometimes it's on Netflix but I don't think so right now. Even Son #2 liked it. lol

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I liked the Edge of Tomorrow, too. We both did. It got lousy reviews. I thought it was cool. We generally go by word of mouth or imdb ratings. Imdb is usually a little less than we'd give it. One example of a better review than I'd EVER give was Magic Magic. Stunned how much we disliked that movie.
I know it's a typical Hollywood film but it did look interesting...I just DLed it and maybe watch tonight...Thanks for reminding me of this flick :)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As if I haven't watched enough of this year's Oscar contenders this week, tonight I will be watching Big Eyes.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Tonight I'll be checking out Inherent Vice
Inherent Vice was pretty good. Think Big Lebowski set in the 1960s psychedelic era (it actually takes place in 1970), although as a film not nearly as good as Big Lebowski. Still, though, with an all star cast and Joaquin Phoenix really hamming it up as a burnt out hippie private eye (although he does seem much too old for the part) and supporting cast members Reece Witherspoon, Josh Brolin, Benicio Del Toro, Owen Wilson, Martin Short and Eric Roberts along with a huge cast of sexy women you really can't go wrong in this two and a half hour take on acid trip film noir. Could have been a bit more solid so I'd give it a B, not an A, and I'm not sure it is cult status worthy like Big Lebowski is, but nevertheless a very worthwhile watch.

Last edited:

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I posted one a bit back. Called Sound and Fury. It was about kids and cochlear implants and the deaf community.
Just got done watching this. Who knew there was such...I don't know. Prejudice? Or fear of acceptance?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just got done watching this. Who knew there was such...I don't know. Prejudice? Or fear of acceptance?
I do hear about it a lot. But I felt so torn and, at the same time, frustrated, the whole time I watched it. I do see both sides and still don't know how to put it into words, exactly. Definitely interesting.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do hear about it a lot. But I felt so torn and, at the same time, frustrated, the whole time I watched it. I do see both sides and still don't know how to put it into words, exactly. Definitely interesting.
Torn and frustrated describe it exactly. I honestly don't see why those kids can't be part of both cultures.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Torn and frustrated describe it exactly. I honestly don't see why those kids can't be part of both cultures.
Yes!! That's exactly how I felt about about it. More open mindedness on all sides. No more isolation. I understand, that's not likely, but it was my thought. Thanks for your feedback on that one. It was so hard to discuss with anyone that hadn't seen it. Anyway... Cool. :)

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know what you mean Hucklebean. :) It's not like anyone here (at the house) will watch it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Boyfriend would, possibly, but he'd have gotten too pissed watching it, lol. Hucklebean! Love it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Big Eyes was a great movie, lots of fun, very light hearted with some good laughs and based on a true story. ;<))

I have Selma loaded and ready to go but not sure when I'll watch it, maybe tonight.

VU Sponsors