Become a Patron!

Movie Talk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Because I'm always behind the times... just wrapped up The Imitation Game. We liked it. I can't say how accurate to history it is or anything, I'm no history buff, but it was entertaining, nonetheless.

Up next - Foxcatcher.

I will not peek in this thread until we've watched it, lol.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am usually a bit wary about new styles (at least new for me), but yesterday (actually 4 hours ago ) persuaded by my gf we watched Tokyo Godfathers , which is an anime. It was actually really good, so good in fact that I will check out other animes that do not involve tentacle monsters, since until now I was at least a bit prejudiced. So if anyone feel like something different, you could try it :)

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lot of anime is actually really good.

I think a lot of people may like anime if they only gave it a chance instead of thinking it is cartoons like those shown in the US and other countries. Most anime is more akin to Walking Dead and other series/soaps, multi-episode stories that actually tell a continuing story about the main character(s) or an event.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
About to watch blackhat for the second time. Great movie but I was kind of dozing off toward the end last time just due to exhaustion so looking forward to seeing it again.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can't say how I felt about Foxcatcher. That was... hmm. Yeah, I'm at a loss there.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't say how I felt about Foxcatcher. That was... hmm. Yeah, I'm at a loss there.
Agreed. They didn't do a very good job with the material. I couldn't understand what was happening or why people were doing what they were doing. Carell's performance was interesting but a bit heavy handed and his make up wasn't all that convincing. Nothing at all in the film suggested any motivation for what happened at the end.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah we had to do some reading about the events. Dude just wigged out. Seemed like jealousy, rage, self esteem issues, including Mama,. then fueled by dabbling in drugs. Wigged out.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Havent seen any anime since Akira and Ninja Scroll.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just watched "I am Big Bird" which was a heart warming documentary about, duh, Big Bird. Highly recommended.

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I saw Ex Machina last Sunday. Really, really good film. I recommend it!!!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saw Mad Max Fury Road on the big screen in 3D today. It was pretty awesome but suffered from trailer spoiler syndrome, in that too much was given away in the previews, but it was still a pretty awesome reimagining of the Mad Max series, even if Mad Max was more like Charlize Theron's sidekick. Not sure if it was worth the $16 I paid for it but once in a while you have to say what the heck and see something like that on the big screen. Probably would have been just as good without the 3D though.

Jetson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The HBO movie on that Depression Era blues singer, Bessie Smith, was very good. Excellent soundtrack, acting, story.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The HBO movie on that Depression Era blues singer, Bessie Smith, was very good. Excellent soundtrack, acting, story.
Oh yay!! I saw that in the guide the other night. I meant to DVR that and totally forgot. I'll check On Demand for it. Thanks for the tip.

Jetson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Keep in touch and tell me what else you been watching, we may have similar tastes, Huck. ;):cool:

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saw Mad Max Fury Road on the big screen in 3D today. It was pretty awesome but suffered from trailer spoiler syndrome, in that too much was given away in the previews, but it was still a pretty awesome reimagining of the Mad Max series, even if Mad Max was more like Charlize Theron's sidekick. Not sure if it was worth the $16 I paid for it but once in a while you have to say what the heck and see something like that on the big screen. Probably would have been just as good without the 3D though.

I also liked it. The movie totally rocked, it was very well visually done, at times even stunning. In addition I liked the attention to detail especially when it comes to the whole environment. But if I have to be honest I would have preffered a more ambiguous ending. For me it would have been perfect if it ended at one particular scene (sorry for the vagueness, but I don't want to spoil anything for you).

Last edited:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also liked it. The movie totally rocked, it was very well visually done, at times even stunning. In addition I liked the attention to detail especially when it comes to the whole environment. But if I have to be honest I would have proffered a more ambiguous ending. For me it would have been perfect if it ended at one particular scene (sorry for the vagueness, but I don't want to spoil anything for you).
One of the creepiest movies ever made, Mr. Brooks, also would have been perfect if it ended about thirty seconds earlier than it did.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday , me and my gf went to watch "The Age of Adaline". I hadn't even seen the trailer of the movie and didn't know a thing about it, but I was for a pleasant surprise. It may not have the most incredible or original premise, but the movie was actually pretty good. The director has done his job well and the actors did their job really well. Somehow it reminds me of old school movies, when SGI, action sequences and the nice looking actors with 0 talent and acting skills weren't a prerequisite for a movie.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Cake - I don't like to say "I enjoyed this movie" when it comes to such serious matters as this one. I'm glad I watched this, and I'd watch it again. I wont spoil any of the details for anyone.

Wild - I never got to read the book, though I was always interested to. As on most occasions, I'm sure the book was better, but I did enjoy this one. Not a huge fan of Reese Witherspoon, but wasn't a bad movie at all. Interesting tidbit - recently a guy found one of the actual boots that she tossed over the side of a cliff (this is not a spoiler). I'd watch it again, if I was surfing for something and it happened to be on.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Netflix stuff from my queue for one of those days where I don't know what I want to watch:

7up - filmed in England in the early sixties about a hand picked group of 7 year olds from different backgrounds, asked a series of questions. Followed up every 7 years. Found the concept interesting. This one was brief, about 30 minutes and I found it pretty interesting. Little guy named Tony was WILD, somewhat of a spitfire!

7 plus Seven - A bit under an hour. The first follow up, 7 years later, all the same kids, similar questions asked. You get the concept, so from here, I won't go into much detail.

21 up - the next in the line up, about 90 minutes or so. The do seem to drag a bit from the last movie, but I still find it interesting to follow them at this point.

The next in this series are 28 up, 35 up, then finally 42 up, these 3 I've yet to watch. It's bittersweet to see the emotional changes, but also how some things stay the same from childhood to adult. Throughout the ones I've watched, I laughed out loud, then found myself sad on occasion. If you watched and are thinking about the movie Boyhood, this is quite a different animal. Interesting, but certainly won't appeal to everyone.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday , me and my gf went to watch "The Age of Adaline". I hadn't even seen the trailer of the movie and didn't know a thing about it, but I was for a pleasant surprise. It may not have the most incredible or original premise, but the movie was actually pretty good. The director has done his job well and the actors did their job really well. Somehow it reminds me of old school movies, when SGI, action sequences and the nice looking actors with 0 talent and acting skills weren't a prerequisite for a movie.

Thanks for the tip; will be checking it out tonight.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I came across "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty " and if you are in the mood for something different with great director work and great actors you should watch it. I am not sure if it a family movie, because I don't believe children will understand what is happening in the movie, since the story is about fighting your inner demons and redemption. So whoever is for something different and I don't mean that in a bad way will find it interesting :)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saw San Adreas. What a completely mediocre, predictable, implausible, formulaic pile of trash. Don't spend good money on it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saw the Poltergeist remake. So crappy I don't even want to waste any time going into detail since it already robbed me of 90 minutes of my life. Don't bother, not even when it comes to Redbox. Rewatch the original better yet.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saw the Poltergeist remake. So crappy I don't even want to waste any time going into detail since it already robbed me of 90 minutes of my life. Don't bother, not even when it comes to Redbox. Rewatch the original better yet.

wow .. really? i was kinda looking forward to that... dang... ok will que up the original !! lol

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Didn't have high hopes for that one. I was mad it got remade to begin with. Loved the original.

We watched The Judge tonight. 2.5 hours, Robert Downey, Jr (YUM) and Robert Duvall. Really enjoyed it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Didn't have high hopes for that one. I was mad it got remade to begin with. Loved the original.

We watched The Judge tonight. 2.5 hours, Robert Downey, Jr (YUM) and Robert Duvall. Really enjoyed it.
I liked The Judge as well, although both times I watched it I ended up missing the last ten minutes (but don't spoil it, I'll try again some day) :)

Speaking of Robert Duvall, saw Wild Horses the other night. Not a bad little picture. It's no blockbuster but worth a viewing if you like simple films about human interaction.

HAZZA1962

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I watched Two films on the Plane on the way to my Holidays!!! It Follows which was Garbage and Kingsman the Secret Service which was very entertaining!!! Then we Landed, Happy Days!!!

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Jurassic world I thought was awesome! I saw it Friday night and was quite impressed. Treverow has stated this one is the direct sequel to the first so it plays in nicely. Chris pratt has his usual humor but it's not too much where the movie is hokey. Also there's a few easter eggs in the movie that bring back reference to the first one. So keep an eye out. It's an open ended movie so who knows what the future may bring.....but I am game for it :)

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watched Jurassic World last night.
At the start i thought it was going to be a let down and pretty cheesy, then they got to the island and my excitement started growing.
Absolutely *loved* that they had the original visitors center in there from the first Jurassic park movie. For those that don't know, the original films were shot in Hawaii and they had to return the environment to how it was before they got there, so the visitors center from Jurassic Park 1 had to be destroyed after filming so the one shown in Jurassic World was a new one, they did a fucking beautiful job making it look abandoned and overgrown.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought "It Follows" was kind of cool myself.

And saw Jurassic World as well. Definitely had my excitement peaked and didn't let me down. They did a good job on it even if the older brother was an annoying pos.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Saw Danny Collins. Although it was good to see Al Pacino back in the game, I was disappointed in the film. Was expecting something a bit more light hearted with some humor, but instead its a straight up drama about an aging rock (folk?) icon trying to reunite with his estranged son. Pacino is never given the opportunity to really let loose in the play by numbers script and all in all it felt like a big budget Lifetime movie. Not a waste of time but no real surprises either. Have to give it about a six out of ten.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Saw Danny Collins. Although it was good to see Al Pacino back in the game, I was disappointed in the film. Was expecting something a bit more light hearted with some humor, but instead its a straight up drama about an aging rock (folk?) icon trying to reunite with his estranged son. Pacino is never given the opportunity to really let loose in the play by numbers script and all in all it felt like a big budget Lifetime movie. Not a waste of time but no real surprises either. Have to give it about a six out of ten.
Pacino hasn't really shined since Heat in my honest opinion. He had some great movies from the 70s up till the 90s.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pacino hasn't really shined since Heat in my honest opinion. He had some great movies from the 70s up till the 90s.
Yeah, hard to believe this is the same guy who did Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, Godfather, and Serpico. Now he's doing cameos in freakin' Adam Sandler films. Sometimes less is more.

blipt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Recently watched mad max fury road it was mediocre at best it started out kind of cheesy but it came back around........

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Old news probably... but, we watched Interstellar. WOW WOW WOW. I'm not a fan of Mcconaughey, but damn that was good. Also, American Sniper. One of those movies I hate to say we liked it, because of the events, but yeah. Wow.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently saw Ichi The Killer. Older movie but quite awesome. If you like Japanese slasher movies this one will please your inner sadist lol.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Someone recommended that one to me a while back. I tried to watch it, but it took off slowly for me. I'm weird, because i do like those.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Someone recommended that one to me a while back. I tried to watch it, but it took off slowly for me. I'm weird, because i do like those.
Trust me keep watching lol....just like the movie Audition or Oldboy it all progresses.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK fine. I'll put it back on my list.
hanghead.gif

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Trust me keep watching lol....just like the movie Audition or Oldboy it all progresses.
Oldboy the Skorean edition along with the other two in the trilogy are quite well done and as disturbing if not more. The american version sucked they dumbed it done and completely changed it so the normal population wouldn't be appalled. Another great movie of it's time was KIDS although off topic should be a must watch for high schoolers.

VU Sponsors