Become a Patron!

Martin Luther King, Jr. [POLL ADDED]

Do You Think I Was Wrong Posting The MLK Dreamsicle Meme?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, not really. What is humorous about that other than if you have racist feelings towards black people. I have a deamsicle? Rofl? Not really, it's just a meme that someone made thinking it's funny. That's about as humorous as George Washington holding ice cream, it's really not funny unless you find humor in degrading the one holding the ice cream.

I'm from Los Angeles and my parents came here from England so they were not raised with the ignorance some of our grandparents grew up with here in the US and it was not passed along to me in a watered-down version.

If someone thought they were going to post a racist pic and not get opinions or even get called a racist, they were wrong.
as an aside..I'm not sure what the inbreds who were your grandparents taught you, but mine and most people's grandparents did not teach them to hate people because of their race....I don't know why people raised by racists assume everybody elses family is like theirs.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
MLK, Jr. - "The Early Years":

dream.jpg

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Its weird we dont have a JFK day...maybe if he was black then we would :eek:

Just Playing :D
It is a strange national holiday because the government has off from work to celebrate it along with only 20% of the private sector workforce that respects, and recognizes this holiday. The other 80% of the workforce can care less, they say you have to work Bitch!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probally no stranger than the Presidents Day....I doubt people give 10 seconfd worth of thought to the accomplishments and sacrifices of Washington, Lincoln or King....on these days.Hell even Vetrans Day is more about barbeque than sacrfice.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wouldn't necessarily word that 20% actually "respect and recognize" the "holiday". More like DEMAND the day off.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow, why was this moved to U MAD BRO? It was a simple meme. Nothing more, nothing less. Just because people lost their freakin' minds about it, doesn't mean I was mad about anything. There are MANY heated threads that don't end up here.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I wasn't on a soapbox, I was doing what I was asked to do when I became a moderator.
I appreciate the freedom allowed in VU and the job the moderators are doing. Moderating is a difficult task. Even more so on a forum with permissive rules.

No, not really. What is humorous about that other than if you have racist feelings towards black people. I have a deamsicle?
Not everything that pokes fun at "people of colour" is racist. Tasteless, on MLK's Day, perhaps, but not necessarily racist. They are not the same thing. Not even when the target of the tasteless humour is non-white.

Would it have been racist if the individual who'd posted it was black? Would it have been racist if the subject had been Rachel Dolezal and the OP white? Racist if the subject had been Rachel Dolezal and the OP was black? Racist if the subject had been a historically prominent white person and the OP black?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tasteless, I can live with. Quite true, actually. That's just my sense of humor. Deal with it. If someone doesn't like it, well, then just go on to the next post and be on your way. No need to get all huffy puffy about it.

Racist? Never in a million years.

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow, why was this moved to U MAD BRO? It was a simple meme. Nothing more, nothing less. Just because people lost their freakin' minds about it, doesn't mean I was mad about anything. There are MANY heated threads that don't end up here.

It wasn't the OP that got it moved..... it was what ensued

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hahaha This would have been a more appropriate place for it. Hence the name.

We can't jest with one another any more about anything, without pissing someone off.

One thing I have learned, there's a place and time for everything. This is neither. This (vaping) can't be divided by simple bullshit of day to day living.

Otherwise, we're all going to lose.

And yes, I saw the humor in your post. And took it for just that. But others get serious butthurt if you look at them wrong. ;)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

We can't jest with one another any more about anything, without pissing someone off.

One thing I have learned, there's a place and time for everything. This is neither. This (vaping) can't be divided by simple bullshit of day to day living.

And yes, I saw the humor in your post. And took it for just that. But others get serious butthurt if you look at them wrong. ;)
Yes like some girls think its nice to give attention and others call it stalking....I just like watching TV from outside their house...Why does it bother them so much??o_O Shes got a nice TV...she should be flattered!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Great post +10 Thank you Puff:)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just my opinion, we all have one. Tasteless at a bare minimum. Humor, removing the idea of mocking the man on the anniversary of his death on a scale of 1-10, 3 at best. If you enjoy making fun of other races, that may have pushed the humor factor higher for you. Creativity, a 1.
You can't hide behind humor on that one because there really wasn't much if any humor in it even stripping the racist undertones belittling a great man out of it.

If you asked someone who grew up in the era of segregation (which is not too long ago) how they felt about you mocking the most influential black american of that time, they would take you out back and give you a whoopin if they could but unfortunately most of them move pretty slow now.

You bet there are some of us whose grandparents were/are racist. Some great grandparents probably owned a few slaves (slavery and segregation did exist long after the 13th ammendment). And you would hope that ignorance fades and that gets diluted generation to generation but I absolutely think that your parents, surroundings and upbringing will help shape your view on people of other color.
Can you help it? No, your a product of your environment.

Pulse, you insinuate that I am inbred, the issues between the scotts and the blokes, whatever, no contry is without their faults but my parents did not grow up in a country that owned humans so I did not grow up in a household that was intolerant to people of color and didn't joke about it in any way.

Again, I'm not insulted in any way but I think that anyone that sees humor in that post (especially on that day) is at best insensitive and most likely was brought up in an area or household that fosters slurs and humor that would not be taken well in mixed company.

All my opinion, forums are full of them. OP stirred the shit pot with his meme spoon, I just commented on it. It was a stupid thing to post, what were you expecting? Rebel flags and meme's of MLK being shot?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just my opinion, we all have one. Tasteless at a bare minimum. Humor, removing the idea of mocking the man on the anniversary of his death on a scale of 1-10, 3 at best. If you enjoy making fun of other races, that may have pushed the humor factor higher for you. Creativity, a 1.
You can't hide behind humor on that one because there really wasn't much if any humor in it even stripping the racist undertones belittling a great man out of it.

If you asked someone who grew up in the era of segregation (which is not too long ago) how they felt about you mocking the most influential black american of that time, they would take you out back and give you a whoopin if they could but unfortunately most of them move pretty slow now.

You bet there are some of us whose grandparents were/are racist. Some great grandparents probably owned a few slaves (slavery and segregation did exist long after the 13th ammendment). And you would hope that ignorance fades and that gets diluted generation to generation but I absolutely think that your parents, surroundings and upbringing will help shape your view on people of other color.

Pulse, you insinuate that I am inbred, the issues between the scotts and the blokes, whatever, no contry is without their faults but my parents did not grow up in a country that owned humans so I did not grow up in a household that was intolerant to people of color and didn't joke about it in any way.

Again, I'm not insulted in any way but I think that anyone that sees humor in that post (especially on that day) is at best insensitive and most likely was brought up in an area or household that fosters slurs and humor that would not be taken well in mixed company.

All my opinion, forums are full of them. OP stirred the shit pot with his meme spoon, I just commented on it. It was a stupid thing to post, what were you expecting? Rebel flags and meme's of MLK being shot?
I was grown in a country that had slavery....I also grew up with many black friends and I am still friends with a few from my childhood. They call me the "N Word" and I return said word as we arent from Pre 80's and its common terminology today, its not what it once meant, unless used with demeaning content. Its the attitude behind what is said that makes something racist or the person racist.....Colors are just surface differences...everyone is the same damn thing, a **** Sapien.
I m not a racist nor you saying I am makes any difference, I for one know I am not and if I was I wouldnt have gotten as far as I have in the area I grew up in.

You posting what your posted could make you a racist, who the fuck thinks like that anymore, how bubble wrapped are you? Its time to drop the bullshit and fast forward a few years...We are not in the 50's anymore....Im sure your take on joking about something insunating anything Gay or Straight is also the same

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was grown in a country that had slavery....I also grew up with many black friends and I am still friends with a few from my childhood. They call me the "N Word" and I return said word as we arent from Pre 80's and its common terminology today, its not what it once meant, unless used with demeaning content. Its the attitude behind what is said that makes something racist or the person racist.....Colors are just surface differences...everyone is the same damn thing, a **** Sapien.
I m not a racist nor you saying I am makes any difference, I for one know I am not and if I was I wouldnt have gotten as far as I have in the area I grew up in.

Good for you, you were intelligent enough to avoid the influence of those around you with racist views. I mean that.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When i first came to this country i started calling this girl i knew "negra" and she was fine she knew what i meant but some folks overheard and it caused a bit of a disturbance at a gas station this one time, many years ago.... i do think for the most part people are too sensitive here and take shit too personal.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Well this just got interesting. What country did you grow up in?

Just the facts, only the facts.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Good for you, you were intelligent enough to avoid the influence of those around you with racist views. I mean that.
There arent many racist where I live...I live in the NE so we were always against slavery to begin with, the South is where it was wanted...because Ranchmen and others were to lazy to do it themselves and didnt want to spend a dime for people to work for them. Ive never understood how people think they are any better then those around them, in any case....Even today when I see people with their noses raised in the air with a sense of entitlement...I just dont see the way they think...

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You can't hide behind humor on that one because there really wasn't much if any humor in it ...
In your opinion. Funny thing about humour: It's selective. Yep: Even when it's not racist, sexist or whatever-else-ist.

I didn't find it particularly amusing. Not nearly as amusing as the offence you've obviously taken to it.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tasteless at a bare minimum
No, THIS is tasteless. Unless you like white meat. And it's cooked right. Then it's delicious. For the record, I like dark meat, too.

cc.jpg

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.... i do think for the most part people are too sensitive here and take shit too personal.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Its just a byproduct of the times we live in. Technology and especially the interwebs has given everyone an "annonymous" voice and now people think everyone has to hear their opinions and if their opinion isnt liked then its time to be offended. We are the Generation Offended, no more no less.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Its just a byproduct of the times we live in. Technology and especially the interwebs has given everyone an "annonymous" voice and now people think everyone has to hear their opinions and if their opinion isnt liked then its time to be offended. We are the Generation Offended, no more no less.
If I acted out everytime I saw something online I didnt like Id be charged with some serious cyber law violations...the key is to keep your head and if it bothers you then click away from what is bothering you....It takes much more effort to post complaints then it is to click into something you like...but I get it, people think their opinion is worth something (I know practice what I preach...)

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Je suis Charlie Hebdo.

Our allies, who fought so poorly, and surrendered so quickly.

Now, protecting free speech. Who'd have guessed that?

I believe MLK would have protected it too. Or else there would have been no dream.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I'm generation ZeroFuck.

I can turn my phone and PC off, and there's nothing you can do about it. Except stay mad lol

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I wish this 'offended by everything' mindset was just on the interwebs. Unfortunately, it's now being taught at school.
We are creating generations of pussies.
I agree to the fullest, I am not raising my kids to be mouthy fucking monsters like I see everywhere since schooling and other places say even spanking your kid is abuse. Thats why I behaved and was keen on respecting others when I was younger, this is a lost generation of entitled, mouthy and disrespectful kids because the parents are scared of DCF and others taking the kids away because of abuse (disciplining). I wont have it and I will do exactly what my parents did.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well this just got interesting. What country did you grow up in?

Just the facts, only the facts.

Born and raised in Los Angeles. Parents came here from europe in the late 60's, grandparents followed early 70's. Born in 72.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I acted out everytime I saw something online I didnt like Id be charged with some serious cyber law violations...the key is to keep your head and if it bothers you then click away from what is bothering you....It takes much more effort to post complaints then it is to click into something you like...but I get it, people think their opinion is worth something (I know practice what I preach...)

Im in the dont give a shit club personally. Just an observation really. I just laugh at those that do get super bent about stupid shit especially online, but even irl it amazes me how fucking sissy people have gotten and how their feelers are hurt so easily lol

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In your opinion. Funny thing about humour: It's selective. Yep: Even when it's not racist, sexist or whatever-else-ist.

I didn't find it particularly amusing. Not nearly as amusing as the offence you've obviously taken to it.

Correct, in my opinion. Thats the only opinion I have.
I don't take personal offense to it.. I posted... what, 4 words. IMO that was a racist thing to post on a day like that. Don't like my opinion? You're not alone.

If OP didn't want to open a can of worms and open himself up to derogatory comments about his person, he probably shouldn't have posted a pic that belittles one of the most moving person and speach of that era.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Correct, in my opinion. Thats the only opinion I have.
I don't take personal offense to it.. I posted... what, 4 words. IMO that was a racist thing to post on a day like that. Don't like my opinion? You're not alone.

If OP didn't want to open a can of worms and open himself up to derogatory comments about his person, he probably shouldn't have posted a pic that belittles one of the most moving person and speach of that era.
Your kinda blowing what he did out of proportion...He posted a pic of MLK with a Popsicle with a unwitty comment

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Born and raised in Los Angeles. Parents came here from europe in the late 60's, grandparents followed early 70's. Born in 72.

I noticed you said Europe. That's kind of vague don't you think?

Especially when you're going to toss out, "your great grand parents may have owned another human being", to avoid being called out because your great grand father may have sold another human into slavery.

Round and round we go, said the pot to the kettle

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm disappointed in all of you. But I'm gleefully waiting for Steve to show up. :D

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I noticed you said Europe. That's kind of vague don't you think?

Especially when you're going to toss out, "your great grand parents may have owned another human being", to avoid being called out because your great grand father may have sold another human into slavery.

Round and round we go, said the pot to the kettle

It was said earlier but, england.

And I'm not saying anyone's family in this thread owned slaves. What I am saying is that anyone with family heritage in the US that goes back to the 1800' could very well have a relative that owned a slave(s) and could have been raised in a family that has racist views. Simple fact, some of us in the US have family members that owned slaves and were/are racist.
If the offspring from those peole have over time lost the hate and not passed it down to their children, good on them.

My family going way back was not immersed in the thought that people should be owned so I didn't have any of that in my household. Could they have sold slaves? I suppose so but that's going back to the 1700's and my family was not a wealthy family going very far back on the family tree so it's very unlikely that they were in the slave trade.

If you read that post, the reason I pointed out where my parents are from is because they came here without a racist bone in their body and I am a product of my environment.

If I grew up in a racist household, there is a very high probability that I would be racist to some degree.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors