Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Very nice write up but I think there is more to it. A big issue is the 510 is a pin soldered directly to the positive wire with very little give. So every time the 510 is depressed like when u put on am atty you bend the positive wire itself. The predator has a more traditional positive where the wire won't bend when depressed but the negative is press fitted in. Also they don't (Not that it's necessary) ground off the chip on the negative 510 like a lot of mods do. All in all most of the wismecs have been very erratic with their output in watt mode and temp mode but I do think a portion is firmware related. With arctic fox it seems to perform a bit better in power mode and a lot better in temp mode.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So every time the 510 is depressed like when u put on am atty you bend the positive wire itself.

I'll dig out the 510, and make a video. On the two spare Realeaux 510s I have, the wire does not bend. At least not near the connection, as the wire is saturated with solder, and pretty much solid for about 3 mm below the pin. I've yet to see any metal fatigue affecting the positive wire to the pin. It simply does not move enough for that to occur. The board is grounded to the chassis of the mod, which the 510 body is connected to. I've seen the center pin in some Wismec mods that I've rehabilitated so gummed up from juice, that the spring was no longer sufficiently powerful to push the center pin upward enough to make contact at all. It has been necessary to manually lift the pin in order to clean it. Even in an extreme case like this, once cleaned, the connector performs normally afterwards.

I suppose it is also possible, that in a case like this, the spring suffers from being over-compressed, but not enough that once cleaned, it fails to function.

The "erratic" behavior is not common at all in a new mod, and I can almost always tell how gummed up the connector will be, just by swabbing the connector threads with a Q-Tip. For that matter, just looking at the threads of the atty removed from the mod will usually tell the tale. If, as in many of the 510s I've come across the center pin when manually depressed takes a second or 2 to elevate, don't be surprised if the connection is erratic. This is not Wismec's fault, it is the fault of the slob who owns the mod.

On a few 510s where the material that surrounds the pin has degraded, through rubbing alcohol etc, it is possible to free up the pin, and fully restore normal contact, by gouging out the seal until the center pin moves freely, but the connector will no longer prevent juice from entering the mod.

It would be a simple matter, using Artic Fox to accurately compare a stock 510 to a quality aftermarket 510. I predict no appreciable difference.

Its worth mentioning as well I think, that the erratic connection issue is more prevalent with atomizers that use a floating center pin for reasons that should be obvious.

FWIW, I've found more variance, and loss of current in the battery springs of most mods, than in the 510. I modify seriously powerful flashlights (5-8 thousand lumens), and a very common practice, and one that some manufactures are now using on stock lights, is the tail cap mod, which is a shunt of wire that runs through the spring, providing an alternate path for the current. Springs after all, are coils, and coils through inductance become inefficient conductors.

If you are ever bored, raise the issue with some hardcore flashlight geeks,(I do not even come close to qualifying as such) and they will tell you more than you will ever want to know about the subject. The more current used, the bigger the difference.

CameraZOOM-20170418031326035.jpg

In case anybody is interested, the factory shunt on the tail cap of a Convoy L6. 2 26650 batts in series, a de-domed XHP70 emitter, modified driver, and machined aluminum reflector, throwing out close to 8000 lumen. I don't just turn it on, I summon it.... lol

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Something to put in mind too, take a look a the Wismec factory and you will understand that the process if mostly manual.

This means that no two devices are the same. If you have 3 people in the factory doing the soldering, you will most likely see different "styles" in different devices. It all then comes back to Quality Control (QC).

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something to put in mind too, take a look a the Wismec factory and you will understand that the process if mostly manual.

This means that no two devices are the same. If you have 3 people in the factory doing the soldering, you will most likely see different "styles" in different devices. It all then comes back to Quality Control (QC).
Hmmm I watched that video to the end and the guy that works with JayBo designing wismec products, Is that the guy that designed the Predator? JayBo was telling us that this guy was going to be releasing his own line of mods...things that make you go hmmmm.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'll dig out the 510, and make a video. On the two spare Realeaux 510s I have, the wire does not bend. At least not near the connection, as the wire is saturated with solder, and pretty much solid for about 3 mm below the pin. I've yet to see any metal fatigue affecting the positive wire to the pin. It simply does not move enough for that to occur. The board is grounded to the chassis of the mod, which the 510 body is connected to. I've seen the center pin in some Wismec mods that I've rehabilitated so gummed up from juice, that the spring was no longer sufficiently powerful to push the center pin upward enough to make contact at all. It has been necessary to manually lift the pin in order to clean it. Even in an extreme case like this, once cleaned, the connector performs normally afterwards.

I suppose it is also possible, that in a case like this, the spring suffers from being over-compressed, but not enough that once cleaned, it fails to function.

The "erratic" behavior is not common at all in a new mod, and I can almost always tell how gummed up the connector will be, just by swabbing the connector threads with a Q-Tip. For that matter, just looking at the threads of the atty removed from the mod will usually tell the tale. If, as in many of the 510s I've come across the center pin when manually depressed takes a second or 2 to elevate, don't be surprised if the connection is erratic. This is not Wismec's fault, it is the fault of the slob who owns the mod.

On a few 510s where the material that surrounds the pin has degraded, through rubbing alcohol etc, it is possible to free up the pin, and fully restore normal contact, by gouging out the seal until the center pin moves freely, but the connector will no longer prevent juice from entering the mod.

It would be a simple matter, using Artic Fox to accurately compare a stock 510 to a quality aftermarket 510. I predict no appreciable difference.

Its worth mentioning as well I think, that the erratic connection issue is more prevalent with atomizers that use a floating center pin for reasons that should be obvious.

FWIW, I've found more variance, and loss of current in the battery springs of most mods, than in the 510. I modify seriously powerful flashlights (5-8 thousand lumens), and a very common practice, and one that some manufactures are now using on stock lights, is the tail cap mod, which is a shunt of wire that runs through the spring, providing an alternate path for the current. Springs after all, are coils, and coils through inductance become inefficient conductors.

If you are ever bored, raise the issue with some hardcore flashlight geeks,(I do not even come close to qualifying as such) and they will tell you more than you will ever want to know about the subject. The more current used, the bigger the difference.

View attachment 79891

In case anybody is interested, the factory shunt on the tail cap of a Convoy L6. 2 26650 batts in series, a de-domed XHP70 emitter, modified driver, and machined aluminum reflector, throwing out close to 8000 lumen. I don't just turn it on, I summon it.... lol
I'd be interested in seeing it for sure. But that still wouldn't explain why my rx300 and evic primo both very new and no juice on them threw up check atomizer randomly with my tfv12 tanks.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd be interested in seeing it for sure. But that still wouldn't explain why my rx300 and evic primo both very new and no juice on them threw up check atomizer randomly with my tfv12 tanks.

They are already releasing the Primo 2.0 (I believe it's already out). So far the changes include getting rid of the leather sticker on the back. It's now carbon fiber. And the new 510 from the predator.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I have no idea. Neither of those have found their way under my screw drivers yet. Bwahahahah

The TFV12 is a floating center pin atty though, like the TFV8 isn't it? My 12 has not arrived yet. My TFV8 though did the same thing when it was new.

What I did, was before putting the atty on the mod, I pressed the atty down on a hard surface, to ensure the floating pin was firmly seated against the RBA/coil +. After a week or 2, it is not necessary.

Next time you get the check atty, try that. I'll bet that you never see that using an atty with a fixed 510 center pin.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate to state the obvious, but you get what you pay for. These cheepo $30-80 (and some higher end) mods are basically good for short term throwaways. If you want a long lasting mod that you don't have to replace every other month, you gotta spend the extra money for them quality parts. In the long run, higher quality mods will save you money, so it's best to just stop supporting crappy companies with crap quality pieces.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have no idea. Neither of those have found their way under my screw drivers yet. Bwahahahah

The TFV12 is a floating center pin atty though, like the TFV8 isn't it? My 12 has not arrived yet. My TFV8 though did the same thing when it was new.

What I did, was before putting the atty on the mod, I pressed the atty down on a hard surface, to ensure the floating pin was firmly seated against the RBA/coil +. After a week or 2, it is not necessary.

Next time you get the check atty, try that. I'll bet that you never see that using an atty with a fixed 510 center pin.
yeah it's a floating pin like the tfv8. i have a theory in that because the smok tanks have long 510 pins it's pushing down the positive enough to make it come into contact with some other metal creating the short and the check atomizer message. because if you don't screw it all the way down you never get that message

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
They are already releasing the Primo 2.0 (I believe it's already out). So far the changes include getting rid of the leather sticker on the back. It's now carbon fiber. And the new 510 from the predator.
LMAO maybe they seen my review cause i did flat out say replacing the leather with carbon fiber and i ripped the 510 pin LMAO (but seriously i doubt they seen it and this has probably been in the works for a while) the shitty thing is mike vapes sat there and made a video saying they fixed it when it was the same 510 pin. what BS. and we all know how the predator one turned out so yeah.... lol

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hate to state the obvious, but you get what you pay for. These cheepo $30-80 (and some higher end) mods are basically good for short term throwaways. If you want a long lasting mod that you don't have to replace every other month, you gotta spend the extra money for them quality parts. In the long run, higher quality mods will save you money, so it's best to just stop supporting crappy companies with crap quality pieces.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I have to say though, every smok mod I have had has worked flawlessly. Seriously

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I hate to state the obvious, but my near 2 year old RX200 works flawlessly.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
:) Just try pressing the atty down on the pin for a week every time you before you put it back on the mod. Semms to take that long for the grommet around the pin to loosen up.
it's not the atty though when it works on every other mod i have which is about 50-60. it's specifically an issue with joyetech/wismec which is why they tried a different one with the predator.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
t's not the atty though when it works on every other mod i have which is about 50-60. it's specifically an issue with joyetech/wismec which is why they tried a different one with the predator.

Ok, don't press it. Want to sell those pieces of cheap shit? I have $20, and will cover shipping.....

Before you snap up my offer though, my Hohmtech Slice did precisely the same thing on the TF-RTA, and TFV8 when they were new.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ok, don't press it. Want to sell those pieces of cheap shit? I have $20, and will cover shipping.....

Before you snap up my offer though, my Hohmtech Slice did precisely the same thing on the TF-RTA, and TFV8 when they were new.
i have 3 slices and 3 G2s no such issue. not looking to sell them. everyone needs beater mods but if they broke i wouldn't replace them. I am liking the arctic fox software though and for me to have a mod break is no big deal. But some people rely on 1 mod and can't easily replace them. some people have just 1 tank and can't really be picky. I have enough of everything that it's not a big deal to me. it's just not a product i'd tell people to go buy

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
which is why they tried a different one with the predator.
According to who? Oh wait. You are a YouTube reviewer. Just read that. I just fix and modify shit. I accede to your vast technical expertise. Carry on.

I'll just go back to repairing stuff for free to keep people off the stinkys, while you run your mouth on YouTube. I suppose if I was getting free shit to review, I'd consider repeating what other reviewers say to ingratiate myself with the expensive mod makers, at the expense of a great value for dollar mod maker.

I'd consider it. Not for long though. Wismec has probably sold more mods this year than all the others put together. Are they the best? No. Not in the technical sense. From the perspective of numbers of people not dying of heart disease or cancer because they can afford a decent everyday mod? Unbeatable.

I probably have a different perspective than you do though. Beyond a hobby vapist. Cigarettes killed me. Several times, and stole the second greatest love of my life from me. Decades of smoking resulted in my heart exploding last August. I flat lined 4 times on the way to the ER, 3 blocks from where I live. Then they gave up on me. I "spontaneously re established circulation", thankfully before they removed the 5 wire, and they noticed. There was no welcoming white light BTW. All of that I clearly remember. 3 more times while I was on the table I'm told, then a coma. I have to carry product ownership cards in my wallet for the aftermarket parts they installed in my ticker.

I was a pilot. Now, I can't even lawfully drive a car for a year. If I make it that long, my odds improve. I'll never fly again. Hearing your ribs break from chest compressions, and sensation of being difibrillated was somewhat unpleasant. So is hearing your own time of death. So much so, that I would not wish that on anyone, not a YouTube reviewer (Rip perhaps) or even my evil mailman.

From MY perspective, keeping a 510 clean, or pressing in a center pin is not a large thing to ask from a device that keeps people off the stinkys.

Reactions: zui

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
According to who? Oh wait. You are a YouTube reviewer. Just read that. I just fix and modify shit. I accede to your vast technical expertise. Carry on.

I'll just go back to repairing stuff for free to keep people off the stinkys, while you run your mouth on YouTube. I suppose if I was getting free shit to review, I'd consider repeating what other reviewers say to ingratiate myself with the expensive mod makers, at the expense of a great value for dollar mod maker.

I'd consider it. Not for long though. Wismec has probably sold more mods this year than all the others put together. Are they the best? No. Not in the technical sense. From the perspective of numbers of people not dying of heart disease or cancer because they can afford a decent everyday mod? Unbeatable.

I probably have a different perspective than you do though. Beyond a hobby vapist. Cigarettes killed me. Several times, and stole the second greatest love of my life from me. Decades of smoking resulted in my heart exploding last August. I flat lined 4 times on the way to the ER, 3 blocks from where I live. Then they gave up on me. I "spontaneously re established circulation", thankfully before they removed the 5 wire, and they noticed. There was no welcoming white light BTW. All of that I clearly remember. 3 more times while I was on the table I'm told, then a coma. I have to carry product ownership cards in my wallet for the aftermarket parts they installed in my ticker.

I was a pilot. Now, I can't even lawfully drive a car for a year. If I make it that long, my odds improve. I'll never fly again. Hearing your ribs break from chest compressions, and sensation of being difibrillated was somewhat unpleasant. So is hearing your own time of death. So much so, that I would not wish that on anyone, not a YouTube reviewer (Rip perhaps) or even my evil mailman.

From MY perspective, keeping a 510 clean, or pressing in a center pin is not a large thing to ask from a device that keeps people off the stinkys.
are you claiming the 510 on the predator isn't different? It's nice you repair stuff for free but i think you are getting a little bit on the beyond rude side. all because i said the 510 on the mods suck. which is still true anyway you put it.

and no i don't get free shit. 95% of my shit was all paid for by me. also no reviewers repeat it. most of them completely ignore the issues. you find it mostly discussed on forums by the enthusiasts. yes they sell alot. but sales doesn't equal quality. iphones are the best selling phones and they overcharge for 2 year old tech. beyonce and justin beiber are 2 of the best selling musicians, I'm sure nobody here considers them to be the best. So sales are complete irrelevant. especially when vape shops push them on new vapors a lot because they get them dirt cheap and mark them up 300% there are plenty of other mods in the price range just as good. hell i quit on a kanger evod tank with ego c twist battery over 5 years ago. it did the trick. I'm willing to bet many people quit on the same product. i doubt anyone would say that are great though, but they were cheap and did the trick. a 400 watt quad battery mod isn't for getting people off cigs.

I'm glad that you made it though and sorry to hear about your health issues. but I'm happy you are off tobacco. and yes you should keep your 510 pins clean on any mod. but keeping something clean doesn't fix poor quality. there are hundreds of devices out there for people to stop smoking and a AIO, vape pen, or even like a pico and nautilus mini is much better for that then any of these high powered cloud chucking devices.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
are you claiming the 510 on the predator isn't different?

Nope. Never even held one.

400 watt quad battery mod isn't for getting people off cigs.

Never held one of those either. I assumed those were for YouTube reviewers.

i said the 510 on the mods suck. which is still true anyway you put it.

Except they don't. Mine work perfectly. Try to keep up.

iphones are the best selling phones and they overcharge for 2 year old tech

You are comparing apples and Wismecs now. An iPhone is a more a fashion accessory, than a communication device. A Cuboid, is the AK-47 of mods. Nowhere near the quality of an HK G3. Mr. Kalashnikovs design, while not the best, has however put more firepower in more hands than any other rifle ever made. Quantity has a quality all of its own.

a AIO, vape pen, or even like a pico and nautilus mini is much better for that then any of these high powered cloud chucking devices.

Do tell.

Would you like to see a picture of all the vape pens I have that were abandoned by people before they got a real device that actually got them off the stinkys? You don't moonlight at the FDA do you?

As I said. I accede to your vast technical expertise. Carry on. We all need more YouTube reviewers. Your compelling argument has totally convinced me to revert back to a CE4.

And the offer still stands, if ever you wish to rid yourself of those cheap shit devices, I'll buy them, and find them homes.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nope. Never even held one.

Never held one of those either. I assumed those were for YouTube reviewers.

Except they don't. Mine work perfectly. Try to keep up.

You are comparing apples and Wismecs now. An iPhone is a more a fashion accessory, than a communication device. A Cuboid, is the AK-47 of mods. Nowhere near the quality of an HK G3. Mr. Kalashnikovs design, while not the best, has however put more firepower in more hands than any other rifle ever made. Quantity has a quality all of its own.

Do tell.

Would you like to see a picture of all the vape pens I have that were abandoned by people before they got a real device that actually got them off the stinkys? You don't moonlight at the FDA do you?

As I said. I accede to your vast technical expertise. Carry on. We all need more YouTube reviewers. Your compelling argument has totally convinced me to revert back to a CE4.

And the offer still stands, if ever you wish to rid yourself of those cheap shit devices, I'll buy them, and find them homes.
again i don't see the reason to be rude. I never mentioned i do reviews or anything in this so why is it even relevant? I'm not being rude to you. You said you were a pilot, been through some shit, clearly you are an adult i don't see why you can't act accordingly.

most of us abandon older devices to get newer ones/ it's the way most people are. especially the enthusiasts. but many people here still vape on older style devices at 10 watts with MTL tanks. like any hobby there are "sub divisions" the cloud chasers, flavor chasers, DIY-ers, MTL vapers etc. there is no perfect device for everyone. whats wrong with variety and competition and calling out companies. we are the consumers. we have the money, we control the market. educated consumers make a good market. uneducated consumers don't. I'm not here selling products i'm just providing information. you are welcome to provide yours as well. it is an open forum. for everyone here that claims no issues, someone here will claim issues. and no company is perfect, they all have their skeletons. We should call them out on it and not make excuses.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reading through various forums it seems most companies have issues from time to time. Most of it due to quality control. What sucks is it's avoidable but they cheap out. Also seems to be the going rate of manufacturing these days, forget quality. Just pump out garbage, when it breaks toss it and buy another.

I'm not old by any means but still remember a day when things were different and simple shit like buttons didn't just stop working for no reason. They're building these things like $5 pocket radios unbranded at the flea market or that cheap crap kids used to win for selling candy bars or wrapping paper for school drives.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Reading through various forums it seems most companies have issues from time to time. Most of it due to quality control. What sucks is it's avoidable but they cheap out. Also seems to be the going rate of manufacturing these days, forget quality. Just pump out garbage, when it breaks toss it and buy another.

I'm not old by any means but still remember a day when things were different and simple shit like buttons didn't just stop working for no reason. They're building these things like $5 pocket radios unbranded at the flea market or that cheap crap kids used to win for selling candy bars or wrapping paper for school drives.
times have changed for sure. hell even the quality of something as simple as a matchbox car has gone way down hill since i was a kid. i remember a few years ago i got my nephew the rock em sock em robots and the quality was just shit compared to the one's they made when i was kid. our toys took a beating and still worked. now toys break very easily.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anything that keeps people off cigarettes is good. However, as someone who actively convert smokers to vaping, I will say this:

I, like many others, managed to do quit for good with the shite batteries and cartomizers available back in the days. They were a pain in the butt, but we stuck with them until they revealed their potential as anti-smoking devices. So better devices don't really matter to us for the purpose of not smoking: they're nice, they give many hours of pleasure, but they're not *necessary* to avoid smoking.

However, I know many people for whom vaping just didn't cut it, and who couldn't stop smoking, until good atomizers finally came along. I'd say post-Protank2 clearos is what finally managed to get most of those die-hards off cigarettes. And for the truly hard-core smokers, it's the original Subohm tank that finally cracked their habit.

Not everybody is equal. For us lucky ones, anything that vaporizes something is enough. For others, high-quality setups that reliably chuck out tons of flavors, vapor and renders nicotine well is needed.

Therefore, those who want to help people quit smoking should be in favor of reliable, high quality vaping setups: first impressions count, and someone who quits smoking and jumps into the unknown of vaping for the first time need to have an impeccable first experience. Why? because if the device craps out in any way (dry hit due to bad TC, flaky 510...) and the person is the kind who easily dismisses new things, you'll lose them and they'll go back to cigarettes in an instant. Worse, you'll have someone who'll say "yeah, I tried vaping and it sucked" to everybody they know.

This is why I never, EVER give older vape pens or flaky devices to newbie vapers, so as to maximize their chances of quitting the first time out, and then become a vape evangelists themselves. Giving older or unreliable devices to new vapers, even for free, isn't a good gift to them, nor ultimately to the community. It's better to give good advices and convince people to invest in a serious device that you know will give them a real chance of quitting.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Anything that keeps people off cigarettes is good. However, as someone who actively convert smokers to vaping, I will say this:

I, like many others, managed to do quit for good with the shite batteries and cartomizers available back in the days. They were a pain in the butt, but we stuck with them until they revealed their potential as anti-smoking devices. So better devices don't really matter to us for the purpose of not smoking: they're nice, they give many hours of pleasure, but they're not *necessary* to avoid smoking.

However, I know many people for whom vaping just didn't cut it, and who couldn't stop smoking, until good atomizers finally came along. I'd say post-Protank2 clearos is what finally managed to get most of those die-hards off cigarettes. And for the truly hard-core smokers, it's the original Subohm tank that finally cracked their habit.

Not everybody is equal. For us lucky ones, anything that vaporizes something is enough. For others, high-quality setups that reliably chuck out tons of flavors, vapor and renders nicotine well is needed.

Therefore, those who want to help people quit smoking should be in favor of reliable, high quality vaping setups: first impressions count, and someone who quits smoking and jumps into the unknown of vaping for the first time need to have an impeccable first experience. Why? because if the device craps out in any way (dry hit due to bad TC, flaky 510...) and the person is the kind who easily dismisses new things, you'll lose them and they'll go back to cigarettes in an instant. Worse, you'll have someone who'll say "yeah, I tried vaping and it sucked" to everybody they know.

This is why I never, EVER give older vape pens or flaky devices to newbie vapers, so as to maximize their chances of quitting the first time out, and then become a vape evangelists themselves. Giving older or unreliable devices to new vapers, even for free, isn't a good gift to them, nor ultimately to the community. It's better to give good advices and convince people to invest in a serious device that you know will give them a real chance of quitting.
very well said! +1

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh no not another one. Hope they take care of this .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Easy my friend: the press-fit socket costs 2c less than the screw-on version.
LMAO sadly that was probably the exact discussion they had. I'd gladly pay an extra 5 bucks for them to improve the quality of their mods because i do like the chip especially with the arctic fox firmware

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been watching this thread with interest since it started, and while a lot of you may say I have no business commenting here, I can weigh in on a couple of points.

First of all, I agree that cig-a-likes such as the "blu" and similar are NOT good tools for quitting cigarettes because of the expense of buying cartos and the lack of vapor simpy doesn't satisfy the need for a hard core tobacco user. I smoked for almost 46 years before I was able to finally replace 'em with vaping.

I finally made the switch for good with a "Buck Naked" eGo style pen. A little while later I added a "ZigZag" brand because it was cheaper and replacement tanks were readily available. I used those for just about a year until I started noticed a "box" type mod starter kit at the local tobacco shop where I bought my first setups. Not knowing anything about them, I started googling to learn as much as I could. This was about 8 months ago. Since then I've been using an iStick Basic I bought from a vape shop in a neighboring town. I like it so well, when I found them on sale for $10, I bought 2 more. My point being, I was motivated to quit cigarettes. I have diabetes and I've had 2 strokes since 2012, plus I would constantly cough up nasty crap all day and could hardly speak without coughing. On top of that, my doctors, wife, and relatives were constantly on my back about quitting. I think it's more about the motivation than the means, but that's just MY opinion.

Which leads me to my next point. I'm one of those people that can't afford a room full of mods and atomizers. When I buy something I have to (at least in my mind) be assured it's gonna be well built and reliable and last me a while. I really wanted Sigelei Fuchai 213 until I read so many negative comments on it. Then, I really wanted the Predator, but same story. Looks like I missed the boat on the great price of the HohmWrecker G2 at $65, and I can't afford to spend $90 on a mod so that's out for now.

What I would like to know is... why can't these companies use the same good quality parts as the Smoant Battlestar and still make money? Maybe it's just me, but it looks to me like they purposely skimp on quality because they know a lot of folks will buy just on the name and the marketing. Let the flames begin. I got my fire suit on.

Michael

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been watching this thread with interest since it started, and while a lot of you may say I have no business commenting here, I can weigh in on a couple of points.

First of all, I agree that cig-a-likes such as the "blu" and similar are NOT good tools for quitting cigarettes because of the expense of buying cartos and the lack of vapor simpy doesn't satisfy the need for a hard core tobacco user. I smoked for almost 46 years before I was able to finally replace 'em with vaping.

I finally made the switch for good with a "Buck Naked" eGo style pen. A little while later I added a "ZigZag" brand because it was cheaper and replacement tanks were readily available. I used those for just about a year until I started noticed a "box" type mod starter kit at the local tobacco shop where I bought my first setups. Not knowing anything about them, I started googling to learn as much as I could. This was about 8 months ago. Since then I've been using an iStick Basic I bought from a vape shop in a neighboring town. I like it so well, when I found them on sale for $10, I bought 2 more. My point being, I was motivated to quit cigarettes. I have diabetes and I've had 2 strokes since 2012, plus I would constantly cough up nasty crap all day and could hardly speak without coughing. On top of that, my doctors, wife, and relatives were constantly on my back about quitting. I think it's more about the motivation than the means, but that's just MY opinion.

Which leads me to my next point. I'm one of those people that can't afford a room full of mods and atomizers. When I buy something I have to (at least in my mind) be assured it's gonna be well built and reliable and last me a while. I really wanted Sigelei Fuchai 213 until I read so many negative comments on it. Then, I really wanted the Predator, but same story. Looks like I missed the boat on the great price of the HohmWrecker G2 at $65, and I can't afford to spend $90 on a mod so that's out for now.

What I would like to know is... why can't these companies use the same good quality parts as the Smoant Battlestar and still make money? Maybe it's just me, but it looks to me like they purposely skimp on quality because they know a lot of folks will buy just on the name and the marketing. Let the flames begin. I got my fire suit on.

Michael
Pretty sure the G2 is still on sale. All the colors aren't available though.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

Michael
1st off, you have every single right to post here. it's an open forum for vapers to discuss all things vaping and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :)

with that said, this is an excellent post. people have issues looking outside "their box" sure some of us here have no issue if a mod fails, toss it and buy a new one but not everyone is in the same boat. We as the enthusiast with a lot of devices should be putting companies under a microscope. so that others can get good information about what to buy when they come here. it gives the forum credibility and makes it a "go to source" for vapors and credibility and traffic is good for the forums

as far as quality goes, the answer is simple. it's exactly what you said, they can but why would they. why spend 20k in pure profit to make your mod better when not only will it sell in bunches thanks to shill reviewers and advertising but also fans of the device will defend it too. we as consumers need to speak up, vote with out wallet and then they will have to adapt.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
there is no perfect device for everyone. whats wrong with variety and competition and calling out companies. we are the consumers. we have the money, we control the market. educated consumers make a good market.

I completely agree. The perfect device for anybody is the one that keeps you off the stinkys. Whether that device is a pitiful, puny piffle-poofer, or the latest subtank. Whatever it takes.

I love tech. The tech curve in ecigs is like a hockey stick in the last 2 years. I made a comment about vape pens, but in fairness, if it were not for a vape pen at the corner smoke shop, and the fact that the owner knew me from buying smokes every day, and unlike the other shops, who all took me for a cop, sold me some Nic juice, that he kept under the counter, I'd be still smoking, or more probably dead.

It did not get me off the stinkys. However, it showed me that this tech would work. The wick was good for one good puff every 10 minutes before it went dry, and the battery spent its time connected to the charger, whenever possible, but even at 24 Mg, it just did not deliver the Nic I needed.

Being a flashlight guy, the obvious solution was to modify a flashlight, with the 510 from my vape pen. Of course the current from a 18650 vaporized the clearo coil. I got on the net, and saw that I was far from the first to follow this path. By this time, there were online shops selling vape stuff. I had never before bought anything online.

Owing to the fact that as a beta tester and early adopter of Bitcoin, and that I had for my troubles been issued with $0.10 of Bitcoin, and that Fasttech accepted Bitcoin, and that my ten cents was now worth $25, I bought my first atomizer.

That did it. I almost puked from Nic poisoning, (24 mg juice) and was never happier. I knew it would work. I really liked smoking. I didn't even want to quit. It was really easy to see that this was better. Cheaper, more convenient and faster. And it used electricity. I have not bought a pack of smokes since.

Later, because Kanthal was hard to get, and expensive, and because I had access to aerospace stainless lockwire (pure 304 and 316 SS), I communicated with a Doctor friend, 2 pharmas a metallurgist and toxicolologist, I started using stainless. Again, I was not the first, but without some hard internet searches, it was nearly impossible to find use of stainless in vaping.

By this time, there were a couple of vape shops, and nic juice no longer was hidden under the counter. You should have seen the horrified faces when I told staff there I was vaping stainless steel. I was told to respect the lungs of those in the store, and not vape my death coils. Some went so far as to berate me for placing ecigs at risk, by my dying from the deadly fumes they were certain I was inhaling. Reason, was useless, they knew better.

Eventually, I got on some forums. There is a great deal of valuable information to be found, but also huge ignorance, and narrow mindedness.

Even on this forum, I was mocked for suggesting that temp control on stainless was possible. There were those experts who knew it could not be done. I see Giraud has posted in this thread.

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...hal-stainless-steel.86737/page-31#post-600372

In this post by the way, I mentioned time based interferometry. FSK, does not stand for Flag Ship Killer, it stands for Frequency Shift Keying. TBI. Hohmtech gets it.

I'm a member of the Evolv Early Adopters forum.
When all the DNA snobs began shitting on the RX200, I wrote:

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/reuleaux-rx-200.160496/page-23#post-853163

Which led to

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/new-custom-firmware-for-the-rx200s-and-rx2-3-now.283824/page-5

Which Artic Fox is based on. With Artic Fox firmware, I would be very suprised if using the same atty, blindfolded, someone could vape, and tell the difference between a DNA 200, and an RXS in TC mode.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not responsible for any of these innovations. Most are not even actually innovations per se, but implementations of existing tech. Regulated mods, LED lighting, electric vehicles all these use the same tech. DC to DC power conversion, What is new, is how microcontrollers are being employed to control them.

The Apollo Guidance Computer, used to put a man on the moon ran at 1.024 Mhz and had less memory than an eVic

My point, long winded as it is, is that the 510 is not some technical challenge. Mine all work. Unless somebody can provide a rational explanation as to why they are crap, I call bullshit.

Everybody agrees that the 510 needs to be clean to work properly. If clean, it does. This does not mean that there is no intermittent solder connection someplace, or that perhaps some attys with floating pins cause a standing wave resonanse, throwing off the chip, or some other unknown. problem, impossible to nail down with out hooking it up to a scope, and replicating the problem, who can say? The 510 though can be verified by anybody with a multimeter. Try it.

Wismec, deserves credit for putting a device that is firmware upgradeable, does credible temp control, is more durable than you have a right to expect from a $40 mod, and continues to support, and improve. When did Smok last update the X Cube II firmware? Where is the outrage over Sig's recent abominations?

Thus endeth the rant.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I completely agree. The perfect device for anybody is the one that keeps you off the stinkys. Whether that device is a pitiful, puny piffle-poofer, or the latest subtank. Whatever it takes.

I love tech. The tech curve in ecigs is like a hockey stick in the last 2 years. I made a comment about vape pens, but in fairness, if it were not for a vape pen at the corner smoke shop, and the fact that the owner knew me from buying smokes every day, and unlike the other shops, who all took me for a cop, sold me some Nic juice, that he kept under the counter, I'd be still smoking, or more probably dead.

It did not get me off the stinkys. However, it showed me that this tech would work. The wick was good for one good puff every 10 minutes before it went dry, and the battery spent its time connected to the charger, whenever possible, but even at 24 Mg, it just did not deliver the Nic I needed.

Being a flashlight guy, the obvious solution was to modify a flashlight, with the 510 from my vape pen. Of course the current from a 18650 vaporized the clearo coil. I got on the net, and saw that I was far from the first to follow this path. By this time, there were online shops selling vape stuff. I had never before bought anything online.

Owing to the fact that as a beta tester and early adopter of Bitcoin, and that I had for my troubles been issued with $0.10 of Bitcoin, and that Fasttech accepted Bitcoin, and that my ten cents was now worth $25, I bought my first atomizer.

That did it. I almost puked from Nic poisoning, (24 mg juice) and was never happier. I knew it would work. I really liked smoking. I didn't even want to quit. It was really easy to see that this was better. Cheaper, more convenient and faster. And it used electricity. I have not bought a pack of smokes since.

Later, because Kanthal was hard to get, and expensive, and because I had access to aerospace stainless lockwire (pure 304 and 316 SS), I communicated with a Doctor friend, 2 pharmas a metallurgist and toxicolologist, I started using stainless. Again, I was not the first, but without some hard internet searches, it was nearly impossible to find use of stainless in vaping.

By this time, there were a couple of vape shops, and nic juice no longer was hidden under the counter. You should have seen the horrified faces when I told staff there I was vaping stainless steel. I was told to respect the lungs of those in the store, and not vape my death coils. Some went so far as to berate me for placing ecigs at risk, by my dying from the deadly fumes they were certain I was inhaling. Reason, was useless, they knew better.

Eventually, I got on some forums. There is a great deal of valuable information to be found, but also huge ignorance, and narrow mindedness.

Even on this forum, I was mocked for suggesting that temp control on stainless was possible. There were those experts who knew it could not be done. I see Giraud has posted in this thread.

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...hal-stainless-steel.86737/page-31#post-600372

In this post by the way, I mentioned time based interferometry. FSK, does not stand for Flag Ship Killer, it stands for Frequency Shift Keying. TBI. Hohmtech gets it.

I'm a member of the Evolv Early Adopters forum.
When all the DNA snobs began shitting on the RX200, I wrote:

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/reuleaux-rx-200.160496/page-23#post-853163

Which led to

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/new-custom-firmware-for-the-rx200s-and-rx2-3-now.283824/page-5

Which Artic Fox is based on. With Artic Fox firmware, I would be very suprised if using the same atty, blindfolded, someone could vape, and tell the difference between a DNA 200, and an RXS in TC mode.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not responsible for any of these innovations. Most are not even actually innovations per se, but implementations of existing tech. Regulated mods, LED lighting, electric vehicles all these use the same tech. DC to DC power conversion, What is new, is how microcontrollers are being employed to control them.

The Apollo Guidance Computer, used to put a man on the moon ran at 1.024 Mhz and had memory than an eVic

My point, long winded as it is, is that the 510 is not some technical challenge. Mine all work. Unless somebody can provide a rational explanation as to why they are crap, I call bullshit.

Everybody agrees that the 510 needs to be clean to work properly. If clean, it does. This does not mean that there is no intermittent solder connection someplace, or that perhaps some attys with floating pins cause a standing wave resonanse, throwing off the chip, or some other unknown. with out hooking it up to a scope, and replicating the problem, who can say? The 510 though can be verified by anybody with a multimeter. Try it.

Wismec, deserves credit for putting a device that is firmware upgradeable, does credible temp control, is more durable than you have a right to expect from a $40 mod, and continues to support, and improve. When did Smok last update the X Cube II firmware? Where is the outrage over Sig's recent abominations?

Thus endeth the rant.
1st off good post and very informative for sure.
with that said i have ripped smok for their temp control and shitty firmware updates and have given credit to wismec/joyetech for their firmware support and website. I also did rip sig for their performance lies and lack of a usable temp control. the wismec chip i like. I've said it several times i like the chip. I don't bash companies. i bash specific devices for specific reasons. and yes the performance with arctic fox is night and day. i retested my evic primo with it in TC and watt mode (haven't recorded a video on it yet though) and the difference is pretty notable and I will compare side by side the results. If you think I only rip wismec/joyetech then that would be clearly incorrect. I've ripped more products in my 6 months or so of doing reviews then most reviewers combined in the last 10 years. that's why i started doing it. to provide real info and not BS shilling that everything is awesome go spend more money for my own benefit and laugh all the way to the bank.

with all that said, I don't know how this thread isn't proof enough. pretty much everyone on this forum who brought one had an issue with it. except @mjag who got the working one lol. i got my warranty replacement in for mine yesterday. but the fact the ground is press fitted in and has popped out on quite a few people should be more then proof enough on the predator. outside of that with the older style ones i already explained the issue as well. the main point is these are mass produced consumer devices which should "just work" a large majority of people buying them aren't going to test break it down look at every detail. they screw on an atty, press fire and expect vapor to come out and that's pretty dam reasonable. a poor design is just that. look at samsung. great company, great phones, great TVs but the note 7 was a piss poor design that caused them to explode. they pulled it off the market and issued a mandatory recall and i'm 99% sure their next phone won't have said issues. the problem with vape companies is we don't hold them accountable, we make excuses for their failures and then go buy the newer version hoping it's fixed. and that's why it'll never get fixed. wismec is more then aware why do you think they say things like "exquisite 510 new design" on their sites. and the BS mike vapes video which I'm pretty dam sure he took some pay to say they fixed the issue when they didn't.

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pretty sure the G2 is still on sale. All the colors aren't available though.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I just checked Jack. All I see is the original version: new for $179.99 and refurbs for $79.99. The code still works, though. I'm hoping to be able to get a Slice the first of the month if they haven't sold out by then.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I'm out.

Michael

VU Sponsors