Become a Patron!

Eff you Wismec

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I hope that Wismec comes up with a plan, I love this mod and it fits my hand perfect . Well Wismec the world is watching you on this one, It is cruel to put out a Beautiful mod that we loved and then End our love relationship in short order and break our bank account and break our hearts. Take the hi road Wismic and man up.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now I have to really baby these mods.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This news is all around the world it spread like wildfire. When the well know Reviewers stand up to. Wismic at this point has to address this.. I wonder how many Mods they sold it has to be in the Thousands.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
This news is all around the world it spread like wildfire. When the well know Reviewers stand up to. Wismic at this point has to address this.. I wonder how many Mods they sold it has to be in the Thousands.

I think i heard about 50k sold somehwere

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Predator was my very first and only Wismic Brand product...

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I just ordered 2 of these Smok TFV4 Mini Sub Ohm Tank - black
I think these will be lighter in weight and can take a bit of wattage , maybe less stress on the 510 connector on my Predators. The bigger tanks really need something solid to sit on, this is my thinking. Lol 101 Got them shipped they are on sale for 11.99 good price on Smok. Product.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know this is no consolation to current Predator owners but I'm sure some guy will pop up on FB or somewhere and will start replacing Predator 510's. When the Reuleaux first came out and people were complaining about the 510 this guy on FB called the Vaping Architect popped up and started replacing the 510's. At one point he was back logged a few months and was basically making a living replacing Wismec 510's. Now he makes his own custom squonkers. The point is if you really do like the form factor of the Predator I'm sure someone will come up with a reasonable fix. I know that sucks and its really not fair but at least its something for those already invested in the mod.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just a simple suggestion.

TEC7501913_5.jpg

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know this is no consolation to current Predator owners but I'm sure some guy will pop up on FB or somewhere and will start replacing Predator 510's. When the Reuleaux first came out and people were complaining about the 510 this guy on FB called the Vaping Architect popped up and started replacing the 510's. At one point he was back logged a few months and was basically making a living replacing Wismec 510's. Now he makes his own custom squonkers. The point is if you really do like the form factor of the Predator I'm sure someone will come up with a reasonable fix. I know that sucks and its really not fair but at least its something for those already invested in the mod.

I'm going out on a limb here but have a hunch that DJLsb will come up with one and make a video on how to do it. He is good like that, or at least that's my impression.
In his warning video he made I know he seemed to feel bad about how much he praised the 510 in his previous review

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

60 bucks to fix a 40 dollar mod lol at that point just buy a 100 dollar mod

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm going out on a limb here but have a hunch that DJLsb will come up with one and make a video on how to do it. He is good like that, or at least that's my impression.
In his warning video he made I know he seemed to feel bad about how much he praised the 510 in his previous review
yeah that's why i like daniel. he owned up to it. i was shocked he praised it. we all knew this over a week ago. I think the issue is the big guys have so much stuff coming in and deadlines they are rushing out reviews instead of taking their time with them. every product is awesome day 1 but what about day 30?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
60 bucks to fix a 40 dollar mod lol at that point just buy a 100 dollar mod
True, but to be honest I'd be lying if I told you at one time I did not consider doing it. To put it in perspective, at that point in time it was really the only 3 battery regulated mod on the market and I absolutely loved the form factor. Hell, till this day I still love the form factor. Don't forget for $60 he also rewired the whole mod with thicker gauge wire. I never did it but I always wanted to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
True, but to be honest I'd be lying if I told you at one time I did not consider doing it. To put it in perspective, at that point in time it was really the only 3 battery regulated mod on the market and I absolutely loved the form factor. Hell, till this day I still love the form factor. Don't forget for $60 he also rewired the whole mod with thicker gauge wire. I never did it but I always wanted to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Yeah made it a killer mod. Wismec could have done the same and charged 5 bucks more and nobody would have complained.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah that's why i like daniel. he owned up to it. i was shocked he praised it. we all knew this over a week ago. I think the issue is the big guys have so much stuff coming in and deadlines they are rushing out reviews instead of taking their time with them. every product is awesome day 1 but what about day 30?
Car reviewers deal with this via long term testing.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Car reviewers deal with this via long term testing.
Yeah but cars are expected to last 20+ years. These mods aren't. 2-3 years is good enough. Reviewers need to use mods more then a day or 2 and rush out a review

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wonder if that's why Jaybo is no longer associated with Wismec. He came out with great designs like Releaux and Presa (I own both) then Wismec would build it cheap. Kinda embarrassing having your name on a sh*t product.

Note: I'm not sure or have any specific information about the Jaybo/Wismec relationship. Just hypothetizing.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah but cars are expected to last 20+ years. These mods aren't. 2-3 years is good enough. Reviewers need to use mods more then a day or 2 and rush out a review

I agree, just saying an initial review is ok as long as their is a follow up after some usage time. Maybe initial and then a 2 week long term wrap up

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well I just ordered 2 of these Smok TFV4 Mini Sub Ohm Tank - black
I think these will be lighter in weight and can take a bit of wattage , maybe less stress on the 510 connector on my Predators. The bigger tanks really need something solid to sit on, this is my thinking. Lol 101 Got them shipped they are on sale for 11.99 good price on Smok. Product.

To protect your Predators you can do several things.
1. Marry a tank to your mod. Leave the tank on the mod; change coils, fill and clean all while leaving the (sub-ohm tank) base on the mod.
The constant switching of tanks causes torque and tension which breaks the 510 press fit connection.
2. Buy a heat sink. Marry it to your mod. Then you can switch tanks by holding the heat sink to prevent tension and torque to the predator 510. Heat sinks cost 1-5 dollars and come in various sizes and colors.
ecfe721cc415494dea3b6299dbc2f319.jpg

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not Married tanks and mods for years.lol lol Looks like a good time to Marry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think a solution will come along and us Predator folks will be fine mean while Be very careful I guess is all we can do. I love love these mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess as long as you don't go all the way around the 510 with it...say 3/4ths of the way ...the negative has to still make contact with the body I'm thinking.
When you put the screw threads back into the body by giving it a little tap, the super glue or JB Weld should still be wet so that the knurling should be able to make contact with the body.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I praised it too, still works fine for me but now I know it is a ticking time bomb, sucks big time. Now I know what these reviewers have to go through, I couldn't understand why they loved the Alien when mine was a POS, paint started chipping the first day and TC sucked.

I was wondering why my experience was so different than others with the Alien and later with the Predator, China QC at play.

I am fairly confident it is the TPD and the FDA regulations at play, deadlines coming up so companies are pumping shit out at breakneck speeds to make as much $ as possible before then. Speed does not equate to quality in most cases, the latest batch of popular mods, the Alien and Predator are good examples of that.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I praised it too, still works fine for me but now I know it is a ticking time bomb, sucks big time. Now I know what these reviewers have to go through, I couldn't understand why they loved the Alien when mine was a POS, paint started chipping the first day and TC sucked.

I was wondering why my experience was so different than others with the Alien and later with the Predator, China QC at play.

I am fairly confident it is the TPD and the FDA regulations at play, deadlines coming up so companies are pumping shit out at breakneck speeds to make as much $ as possible before then. Speed does not equate to quality in most cases, the latest batch of popular mods, the Alien and Predator are good examples of that.
Yeah u were the lucky one lol at least we figured out why our experiences were so different when we usually see eye to eye on mods lol. Good old qc in play

ieatOhms

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm" data-source="post: 1700380" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">

The dude is a hypocrite. He was basically sticking up for Wismec and the Predator about an hour prior to posting this video in a live chat. He kept disagreeing with everyone in his chat about the 510 being an issue, saying that it was isolated to a few bad ones. He lost all respect from me at that point....I had about as much respect for him as I do Wismec. Virtually nonexistent.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Super glue will work fine. When the two objects are pressed back together the glue will be forced away from the tighter areas allowing metal to metal contact to be made, and it will fill in and adhere in the voids where the metal is not making contact anyway. Be sure to tap the fitting back in firmly when reassembling.

Vucci

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just found out bout this thread but until Wismec make an official announcement. This is a pretty good alternative

https://www.amazon.com/Sciplus-Electrically-Conductive-Soldering-Wire/dp/B000Z9H7ZW

It's not as strong as super glue but it's conductive. Figure it be safer

@SirRichardRear @ieatOhms about reviewers, the only one I trust that has high subscriber is DjLsB. I mean he probably has his own agenda to make money. I mean that's his life and I understand. But hes the kinda guy that I feel if the mod/atty doesn't meet his standards he won't sell out his beliefs for some ads. And so for his track record is pretty good.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The dude is a hypocrite. He was basically sticking up for Wismec and the Predator about an hour prior to posting this video in a live chat. He kept disagreeing with everyone in his chat about the 510 being an issue, saying that it was isolated to a few bad ones. He lost all respect from me at that point....I had about as much respect for him as I do Wismec. Virtually nonexistent.
He kept saying that if you rock the 510 back and forth it will come loose. He was trying to blame the user. By the end his conscience got the better of him and he laid the problem at Wismec. I was really disappointed by this video too.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]China QC at play[...]

People always pull the usual cliche of Chinese company not doing proper quality control when something goes bad - with good reasons.

But as a quality engineer, in this case, I can tell you this issue has nothing to do with quality: it's a design fault: Wismec went for cheap and unsuitable for the job of holding a heavy atomizer and withstanding use and abuse. Quality control simply performs acceptance tests based on what the design specified, so they validated that the cheap shit held as good as specified.

So, QC happened, and it happened successfully. If it didn't, some customers would have found brand new devices with the 510 socket hanging loose, or the socket would have come undone after screwing/unscrewing the atomizer once or twice.

But here, people complain that you have to baby the device and it's not strong enough for prolonged normal use - meaning as long as you're careful, it works fine. For that kind of problem, the blame lies squarely on marketing, who set the cost requirements that R&D had to meet when they chose that poor press-fit design.

So please, quit blaming the quality guys for anything and everything bad that comes out of China. It's not always our fault :)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
People always pull the usual cliche of Chinese company not doing proper quality control when something goes bad - with good reasons.

But as a quality engineer, in this case, I can tell you this issue has nothing to do with quality: it's a design fault: Wismec went for cheap and unsuitable for the job of holding a heavy atomizer and withstanding use and abuse. Quality control simply performs acceptance tests based on what the design specified, so they validated that the cheap shit held as good as specified.

So, QC happened, and it happened successfully. If it didn't, some customers would have found brand new devices with the 510 socket hanging loose, or the socket would have come undone after screwing/unscrewing the atomizer once or twice.

But here, people complain that you have to baby the device and it's not strong enough for prolonged normal use - meaning as long as you're careful, it works fine. For that kind of problem, the blame lies squarely on marketing, who set the cost requirements that R&D had to meet when they chose that poor press-fit design.

So please, quit blaming the quality guys for anything and everything bad that comes out of China. It's not always our fault :)
Wismec just doesn't seem to learn, and it's likely because they still sell products. Tons of products. Basically it seems they know their 510's are shit, and then they know that they will sell a ton regardless. Then they'll release something new, and still sell a ton of the same shit, with a different shit 510. The cycle continues.

I'm just frustrated in the overall lack of consistency and quality amongst 510's across the board. FDV and Varitube 510's are not at all expensive, and they're made well. I've compressed a spring on a FDV, never on a Varitube.

If manufacturers all adopted Varitube or FDV as a sort of hardware standard, prices wouldn't increase significantly, but quality would.

I just want my 510 to take it deep. Lol. But seriously, I just want a stable 510, secured with a washer, so I can pull off top caps, that can actually sit my attys flush. I'm tired of these shallow crappy 510's. And again, sorry to all who've had problems. I was very close to jumping on board, and this thread ended that consideration. So thanks for posting this stuff.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If manufacturers all adopted Varitube or FDV as a sort of hardware standard, prices wouldn't increase significantly, but quality would.

That's not how it works.

In many companies, Marketing puts down "this device must not cost more than 100 yuans to make" as a "must meet" in the functional specification. They don't care if it's unrealistic.

In turn, whatever other specifications are rated as "nice to have" - such as featuring a strong 510 connector - get the chop after R&D releases their technical specification and the BOM ends up being too high, to satisfy the "must meet" requirements.

When the device gets shipped out, it doesn't matter to Marketing whether it'll come back to haunt the company in the form of endless customer claims and bad reputation: their specs were met, job done.

Of course, not all companies work like that. In the one I work for for instance, QA must sign off on the functional specs - and on the technical specs, and on the industrialization plan, and on the shipping specs... If something doesn't pass muster for us (because, you know, Quality handles customer claims, so we most certainly do NOT want the company to release a weak product) then we don't sign.

If we don't sign, Marketing has to amend their functional specs: either all the reqs meet our - and international - standards, or they raise their targeted price (we don't care about that) or they cut the profit margin (we don't care either).

But if Quality doesn't have a say in any one of the departments involved in designing, producing, releasing and shipping a product - like it seems to be the case at Wismec - then one side of the company invariably ends up working against another, in order to draw their little bit of the overall picture and look good in their own department's quarterly report: then the losers are the company's customers - and ultimately the company itself.

I just want my 510 to take it deep. Lol. But seriously, I just want a stable 510, secured with a washer, so I can pull off top caps, that can actually sit my attys flush. I'm tired of these shallow crappy 510's.

Wismec's Marketing wanted no more than 100 yuans and doesn't care about you - or the poor sods who have to deal with the consequences in other Wismec departments.

They're most likely a company with a faulty, compartmentalized corporate culture - and probably one with a high degree of blind obedience to the hierarchy too, as is often the case in Asian countries. Typically, when companies like that create a great design without any problems, there's a non-negligible amount of luck involved.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Your right, bad design, I should have picked a better word as mainly I was referring quality of the device. The mod was actually designed by Sinuous which if I am not mistaken is a US based design company.

My reply to SRR about QC was from a previous conversation he and I had privately. My Predator worked fine but his was janky right out of the box, his 510 didn't pop off but TC was way out of whack. We even sent videos to each other, his barely firing in TC at about 550F and mine firing like my G Class and Finder 167 at 450F. He got his replaced and the TC was improved but then come to find out the 510 is press fit from the outside, that explains why we had such a different experience in TC, he was getting intermittent negative contact which is death for TC. At first I wrote it off as a janky 510 made it through QC, turns out they may all turn janky over time.

I am hoping Wismec does the right thing and recalls the Predator and has a fix. I love the form factor, fit and finish of the mod. I am not holding my breath on that though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am hoping Wismec does the right thing and recalls the Predator and has a fix. I love the form factor, fit and finish of the mod. I am not holding my breath on that though.

I won't hold mine either and I expect Wismec will just try to let this pass and bring out another mod where this isn't an issue and people will buy it after reviewers rave about it and tell how there is no more 510 issue. Not me...I will not purchase anything Wismec again if they don't make this right. I don't care how good reviews are for future products they release. There are many other brands to choose from.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@Giraut Good post. I read you loud and clear. I think we're on the same page. The bottom line is usually what matters, always is to an extent. You sound like you work at a quality operation, which many could take a cue from. I hate going off and dismissing one company, because I love my Noisy Cricket II 25, but that seems to be the exception. Wismec needs to prove their worth as far as I'm concerned now.

And I know it's somewhat of a pipe dream to wish for a standardized, quality 510 to be adopted. I still want it, lol. I see a good marketing opportunity there if I'm a manufacturer of 510's...

Finally, my understanding is that the Lost Vape Drone was delayed both for issues with the squonker tube, and finish. If I'm not mistaken there, that's a perfect example of a company doing it right. They re painted them from what I've heard due to initial issues. Point is, You can't dismiss a mod based on the place it was born, so to speak.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I just found out bout this thread but until Wismec make an official announcement. This is a pretty good alternative
https://www.amazon.com/Sciplus-Electrically-Conductive-Soldering-Wire/dp/B000Z9H7ZW
It's not as strong as super glue but it's conductive. Figure it be safer

But for this purpose it's probably useless. It's graphite based in a very weak "glue" solution. If you want to maintain the electrical conductivity you will note that many reviews suggest covering it with something else once it dries.

Vucci

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But for this purpose it's probably useless. It's graphite based in a very weak "glue" solution. If you want to maintain the electrical conductivity you will note that many reviews suggest covering it with something else once it dries.

I see thanks for elaborating more information on the conductivity witb 510 connections. So what's the consensus right now for the best DIY for maintaining a solid negative connection on the 510?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@Giraut Good post. I read you loud and clear. I think we're on the same page. The bottom line is usually what matters, always is to an extent. You sound like you work at a quality operation, which many could take a cue from. I hate going off and dismissing one company, because I love my Noisy Cricket II 25, but that seems to be the exception. Wismec needs to prove their worth as far as I'm concerned now.

And I know it's somewhat of a pipe dream to wish for a standardized, quality 510 to be adopted. I still want it, lol. I see a good marketing opportunity there if I'm a manufacturer of 510's...

Finally, my understanding is that the Lost Vape Drone was delayed both for issues with the squonker tube, and finish. If I'm not mistaken there, that's a perfect example of a company doing it right. They re painted them from what I've heard due to initial issues. Point is, You can't dismiss a mod based on the place it was born, so to speak.
Exactly there aren't many consistently good companies. Every company has had some duds

Vucci

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Exactly there aren't many consistently good companies. Every company has had some duds

I can't give full disclosure but right now my job is damage controls with company's and certain people in PR sector. Right up my alley.

Obviously a recall is out of the question. If u think it will happen that's illogical for the amount they sell and the type of company Wismec is. Only true recalls is the usage of the device proved fatal or serious harm to the end user. Im not talking bout battery safety. More like I press fire on a perfectly wrapped dual 18650 in proper contacts and the Mod just exploded. Maybe. Just maybe they recall. But that probably be the death of Wismec.

Anyways back on topic. If I was in charge of the case and Wismec was my client. I would advice them to offer a substantial discount. Like a 50% off coupon to anyone that register their Predator on their website.

Reason being a company can track all their products and it's authenthicity. That's why a lot of of company want you to register your product online. Then anyone who register can get a %50 coupon redeemable once on any future Wismec mod.

Lots of things but this is top of my head. Of course if they actually pay me I'll prolly come out with a better plan. Hah.

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If past history is any indication, Wismec isn't going to do shit.

Reuleaux 510 problems. They voided the warranty as people were using non Wismec tanks on them. That's it. All done. So basically they released a model without any warranty.

Joyetech Primo 510 problems. Went ahead and replaced the old (Reuleaux) style 510 with a new (Predator) style. Also got rid of the cheap "leather" back cover sticker and replaced it with a stickier carbon fiber sticker. Rebranded it as Primo 2.0 and that's it. They didn't recall the old ones. In fact you can easily find the first version still available. This all happened within 3 months.

So if you own a predator, hopefully your retailer will take care of you as Wismec certainly won't. We'll probably see a Predator 2.0 out within 3 months time.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Yup... If you remember "The Days Of The Clones!!!" I know I would find out who made the best Kayfun Lite, who made the best Stingray clone etc... EHPro Killed it on the Kayfun Lite V2, Tobeco made a great Stingray clone, and HCIGAR made one that was a complete piece of shit.

Which of those companies is still thriving? Hcigar. They teamed with Evolv, and I enjoy their products.

No one company is really consistent yet in this game. It's starting to come to the surface now through time, and thus how the companies react. Wismec, as has been said, pretty much told us to go pound sand from the get go. I was a November 2015 DNA 200 Reaulaux customer. I didn't even bother contacting them about the screen ribbon issue they knew about, and did nothing about. I fixed it myself. Seems to be the same old game.

I know that money isn't plentiful for most, but I wouldn't use one of those unless it were properly fixed. Like new 510 fitted and installed fixed. It's just not worth the risk. Your probably better off with a mechanical mod that is fully functional. If they 510 is as it is, I'd be inspecting insulation and grounding throughout. Just me, but a 510 falling out is a mod I put down. It hurts, but that price range, I'd return it, if you can't, I'd replace it. My iPV4 has been collecting dust almost as long as I've owned it, due to their little game of insufficient insulation. I bucked up and replaced it. Stopped using it almost immediately, and I was pissed.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but if you can't trust the 510 to stay put, which is ground/earth, I consider that also unfit to trust the chipset, and the whole assembly. I'm probably being overly cautious in that sentiment, but thats generally the way I tend to sway.

Just my drawn out, but humble opinion.

VU Sponsors