Become a Patron!

Why do store owners jack up prices?

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
its not the b&m fault that you didn't do research
not all shops are that bad

It is the B&M's fault for taking advantage, just like it's the mall kiosk's fault for charging $300 for an eGo set up. And it is the customer's fault for not researching. Generally in any type of swindle you have the swindler trying to make a quick buck and the mark either ignorant or trying to get something for nothing. One's fault doesn't exclude the other's.

I think most of us have compared our bad experiences to good ones to show we don't think all shops are bad.
I'm curious why your shop after knowing their supplier is ripping them off doesn't go to one of the online places to get a better price. I think my local who was in with a bad supplier was in on some kind of scheme where they had to go through their supplier since that supplier is who ended up taking over all of his locations.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That might be because they know what actually goes into the running of a store.

There's an old business truism that's been around forever...

"Quality, price, speed. Pick two out of three."

For me price is usually fixed. Quality and speed rule the other out. Do you want it fast or do you want it right?

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm curious why your shop after knowing their supplier is ripping them off doesn't go to one of the online places to get a better price.

This is the part some of you seem to be missing out on. If a shop buys Joyetech mods from anyone other than Joyetech, how do they get Joyetech to honor the warranty? What if they get suckered and buy clones?

As far as clones go, you can buy them where you get them cheapest, but that is hit or miss. They don't tell you who makes them, and often you can reorder the same clone and get one where the quality is completely different.

If you own a shop and want to ensure that your customers are getting legit gear with a warranty that will be honored, the best way to do that is by buying directly from the manufacturer. As a result, if you own a small local shop and order 20 units based on your market size you will always be paying more than the online vendor who can order 1,000 because his market is much larger. If you don't mind your customers running around showing other vapers the clone gear that you sold as legit, or the device that broke that you couldn't get fixed under warranty for them, than by all means find the cheapest listing you can on a random website somewhere and stock up.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is the part some of you seem to be missing out on. If a shop buys Joyetech mods from anyone other than Joyetech, how do they get Joyetech to honor the warranty? What if they get suckered and buy clones?

As far as clones go, you can buy them where you get them cheapest, but that is hit or miss. They don't tell you who makes them, and often you can reorder the same clone and get one where the quality is completely different.

If you own a shop and want to ensure that your customers are getting legit gear with a warranty that will be honored, the best way to do that is by buying directly from the manufacturer. As a result, if you own a small local shop and order 20 units based on your market size you will always be paying more than the online vendor who can order 1,000 because his market is much larger. If you don't mind your customers running around showing other vapers the clone gear that you sold as legit, or the device that broke that you couldn't get fixed under warranty for them, than by all means find the cheapest listing you can on a random website somewhere and stock up.

You're not buying directly from Joye unless you plan on being a distributor. If you buy Joyetech from Joyetech the minimum order is huge, so you go through Joyetech distributors and get all the warranty.
After that Joyetech has MMP just like Innokin. At my bad store the one price that was competitive was Innokin, he was at MMP. Joye was a few dollars more than MMP, $110 instead of $104 for an eVic, hard to say if that was simply greed or too many middlemen but since I know Joye works on MMP and a healthy markup for the stores I was not about to pay more than MMP. His main problem was when he got into clones and comparatively small time mods.

For me and Joye, there's a well known and trusted distributor a few hours away. Whoever had him charging more than MMP was a fool.

Oh and I never paid MMP for my 2 eVics. They are genuine and warrantied. The place I got them from is no longer selling Joye because they found out he was selling them for $60. But Joye has no idea where I bought them from.
I know some will claim that FT is selling clones of their products and they won't be warrantied but unless they have product numbering and registration they have no way of backing that up.

I will say that in store warranty in my bad store was great, and for the prices he was charging it should've been.
But tell me how my lifetime warranty is working now that he's out of business? Maybe a few people got to experience it on an eGo type battery but for the most part people paid high prices for a warranty that a fly-by-night won't honor.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is the B&M's fault for taking advantage, just like it's the mall kiosk's fault for charging $300 for an eGo set up. And it is the customer's fault for not researching. Generally in any type of swindle you have the swindler trying to make a quick buck and the mark either ignorant or trying to get something for nothing. One's fault doesn't exclude the other's.

I think most of us have compared our bad experiences to good ones to show we don't think all shops are bad.
I'm curious why your shop after knowing their supplier is ripping them off doesn't go to one of the online places to get a better price. I think my local who was in with a bad supplier was in on some kind of scheme where they had to go through their supplier since that supplier is who ended up taking over all of his locations.
if he did research it he would now what fair market price is and doesn't get ripped off. So I don't know why you think the b&m is at fault . price to high walk out the door simple as that

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
if he did research it he would now what fair market price is and doesn't get ripped off. So I don't know why you think the b&m is at fault . price to high walk out the door simple as that

How can the customer be at fault if the business isn't at fault for anything? By you claiming the customer is at fault you are admitting the business is doing something wrong.

Is someone forcing your business to charge $300 for an eGo?

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
good point myk

I'm sure not saying make it illegal like price gouging gasoline in an emergency (which I'm iffy on whether it should be illegal) but it does push stores who price gouge because people need their fix into the realm of big tobacco and big pharma. Not exactly the highest of moral grounds.

Compare to a store that gives someone who just switched a replacement bottle because they spilled their 30ml bottle. (Personally I wouldn't, I know a lot of bums who would happily bleed you dry, but I have seen an online shop do that just because someone was bummed about a spill on Facebook.)

VU Sponsors