Become a Patron!

Why do store owners jack up prices?

skoony

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what people always forget in the B&M v online price comparison is the fact the online
store more likely than not has a lot higher sales volume than a store front B&M.
higher sale volume means lower wholesale prices. an online vendor who is
ordering 1000 units at a time is getting a better price per unit than a B&M ordering
10 at a time.
i think we would all be surprised if we compared the cost the online vendor
pays compared to what the vendor charges. i believe then we all would be
complaining how those online vendors are ripping us off..

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not at all. Everyone has to make money. No knock on that at all. But would u pay 100 plus tax at a store for something u can get for 50-60 plus free shipping. All I been saying this whole post is they should figure a way to make the store more appealing price wise to buy hardware and not just juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That would come down to the manufacture cost of selling an item. If the b&m got the items for the same price as an online retailer then the price gap wouldn't be as much.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have wondered this too. I have also been shocked early in my vaping career when I went to B & M and did not price compare online. Then there was a family emergency that took me across the country for 3 or 4 months. Compared to the small rural town that I live in, I was in New Mexico. I found 3 or 4 local vape stores and was shocked at how good their prices were compared to New York. I was also shocked at the variety of juices offered. So I started to look online so when I went back to New York I could still enjoy the juices that I found I liked. Everything was even cheaper online, I also found this forum and began to learn a ton and become a more educated vapor.
I guess you have to think about the overhead in a B & M, lights, payroll, inventory, insurance, and so on. I would pay a bit extra to support a local small business if the staff were educated and passionate. Unfortunately my local shop has burned me a couple times and I avoid them if at all possible. I may stop in to grab a battery or a pack of coils in an emergency but that is it.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree heather. I really do understand the overhead from personal experience running a business. But why don't these shop owners find another way to make it up. I don't mind supporting local. But I will not pay u a lot more for something if ur nice to me. The one place near my house is emergency juice. Other shop from my house seem like they are willing to work with u from what owner told me. So I would go there first if not its online for me. I myself do not need to sit there and hold a mod and play with it. That's what you tube and reviews and this forum are for. If it does the job properly then I'm good with that

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There is just one mod I bought that if I had held it first I would have never bought it. It's the IPV2 mini 70 watt. It is really heavy. Just not for me. I did not thoroughly research it though. I just wanted to buy a mod and did. Then bought a couple temp control out of the hardware section. I barely used the IPV mini and really should list it for sale on the forum.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What's wrong with the ipv2

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So the closest shop next to my house just lost my business for good. I know this may sound stupid to some. So I just came from there wanting to pick up some juice. So I get my 30ml for $18 and there so so house brand $10. I hand the guy 28 cuz they don't charge tax if u pay cash for something And he says comes 30 something. I didn't have anymore cash on me. I would have to go to bank and get cash. But that's besides point. I said to the guy, so you charge tax now for cash. He says we always do. I said no he said we always had with an attitude. I told him I was here last week and bought a house brand for 10 and handed u a 10 and left. We said have a nice day to each other. I said u know what just give me the 30ml so I can leave. I got my change and left. Maybe they have to charge tax now but at least tell me that. Not we always have. Now if I wanted a mod because I wanted it right there and had cash. I would of walked out. Mayb this is dumb to some. But to me it's the little things.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe I was having a bad day. Had a long week and just wanted to go home , shower, watch tv and vape a bit but that dooche ruined my nite a lil. I rather him say listen we have to charge tax now. Then ok but to say we always have and give me a attitude bout it. Then that place can fuck off.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to work for a guy who ran a sub-distribution comic book store. He would get orders from 30 shops around the area and place one large order, Then me and another guy would load up our cars and make deliveries when the order came in. It worked well for the comic book shops because he could get a higher discount by buying in a much larger quantity,and he made a nice little profit cuz he could bump up the cost but still give the shops a decent discount compared to what they would have paid by themselves. If you have a decent amount of capital to invest, this system might work pretty well with a bunch of local shops getting together and buying their inventory cheaper through you. :) Hooray for capitalism.

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So this makes me wonder. I saw a site that only sells juice at large quantities like 120+ mls. And mt baker has 236 mls going for $30. Is there something wrong with their juice or something these other companies don't understand about pricing? I had their green apple juice before and it was good. A little strong. Double shots I believe. Didn't taste any different from any other green apple juice.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
heartland vapes has a 250 ml juice is 20 dollars plus shipping and the juice is pretty good for that price .IMO its better than mt baker vapes juice

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
B&Ms have bldg expense (which can be in the thousands per month), unemployment insurance, employee insurance (if they offer it), product liability insurance, electric, salary (figure around $100 per person per day), etc. Online places can be run out of a house with no real overhead except the owner's time or out of a storage unit for under $100 a month. Pricing of product is a balancing act, where you try to buy as cheap as possible and charge as much as you can (so that you can hopefully make a profit at the end of the day) without it negatively affecting sales. Unfortunately, many fail at this balancing act (and not just vape shops, but many other types of shops as well).

Regarding the place that didn't charge tax for cash - if it was the owner or manager, he was giving you a break. If it was an employee, he was probably pocketing the money. Everywhere has to charge sales tax unless it's being shipped to a different state or it's a product that has a sales tax exemption (some states clothing is exempt, other states newspapers are exempt, others it's groceries, etc).

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I absolutely agree everywhere pays tax. It's the little thing like giving me an attitude when I asked that they now charge tax and his answer was we always did. Bullshit dude. He took my cash last week same guy. No tax. The tax wasn't issue it was his answer with an attitude. That was my issue

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I absolutely agree everywhere pays tax. It's the little thing like giving me an attitude when I asked that they now charge tax and his answer was we always did. Bullshit dude. He took my cash last week same guy. No tax. The tax wasn't issue it was his answer with an attitude. That was my issue

same guy? that is weird. Maybe he was afraid of getting in trouble? Agree, though, shoulda just told ya truth

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea man. I would him rather pull me to side and say hey. This is the deal. Bla bla bla. And I be ok with it. The store is less than half mile from my house. I refused to go there again. I drove 7 miles to the next shop. That's how much I can stand that place anymore

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Regarding the place that didn't charge tax for cash

I tend to not charge tax (jewelry) (I had someone demand I match a discount once, OK, fine, then I won't give you the sales tax discount). That doesn't mean I don't pay it. I just don't feel like figuring it up and charging odd amounts. "Sales tax" isn't a tax on the customer, it's a tax on the business' sales. Most places just tack it on as an after the fact charge to the customer because they can and it looks cheaper to be able to add that price in later.
The issue that says something fishy was going on was the "for cash" discrepancy. Although that can simply be because of the added charge they get for charge card purchases, they're not going to pay your sales tax while also having to pay for you to charge it. I know a lot of places that charge extra for charge cards.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Man. I wish I would of snapshot a text message I was having with the owner of new shop I'm going to. So I'm looking into a mod for work since my Subox just runs thru battery and I'm constantly charging at work. Like a 30-40 watt mod and a triton. So I text him how much for the triton can since it got good reviews. He says oh yea I can give it to u for $60. I hook u up. I replied I can buy it on element vape for 29 and change I believe it cost. He replies oh be careful online and I've had people return for leaking issue. Lmao. How is it ur ready to sell me the triton but as soon as I say it's cheaper online from reputable company. Now it's oh I've had people return them for leaks. Boy oh boy. I'm going Friday to see how much for a istick 30watt with a tank. Btw anyone know a good place inexpensive pricing for a setup like that. I would like to try a different tank from my kanger to see how it runs.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yea man. I would him rather pull me to side and say hey. This is the deal. Bla bla bla. And I be ok with it. The store is less than half mile from my house. I refused to go there again. I drove 7 miles to the next shop. That's how much I can stand that place anymore

I have done the same , I wish them no ill will ,but I never go back . There is always another place . I want nothing for free , but I work for my cash .

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure if this is where to put this. But I know a lot of people like to shop online like myself. I hate going to stores. I'd rather jump on my motorcycle and go chill out. So after the first vape setup I bought a few months back. I felt like I got screwed in my mind. Store just wanted money. This is with any business. So a few weeks ago I went to go buy juice at the same shop. Just juice nothing else since it's less than a half mile from my house. I'm waiting for them to mix my juice and I see the Subox mini for first time. I'm like wow that's sexy And ask guy how much. He says $100. I'm like shit that what the last POS you guys sold me cost and it sucked. So I think let me check online see reviews and pricing. It got great reviews and pricing was anywhere from $50 to $80 at most. So I actually ordered one online for $55. So I think why the heck would you dirt bags charge way more when there is online. So whatever get back to that point in a sec. So I'm listening to radio and find out that there is a new shop about 5 miles from my house. I emailed shop to get some info on the different juices they carry and pricing. The owner actually called which was interesting and talked to me for about 15min. Told me about all they had and come by to see/taste different flavors. So I just asked hey curious what you guys charge for Subox. He says oh it's only $100. I said oh ok, he said why you looking for one. I told him I already ordered and he asked if I don't mind telling how much. So I told him. His reply was what. That's impossible. Kept asking me from where so I told him. He said you know if u were to buy from me best I could do was $70 and that he paid 49.99 wholesale. I think that bs as far as I ran a business for over 9yrs before I get my awesome job now. But I know u get great pricing as a dealer and how much product you buy from that vendor. So anyway. I went to store to try juices and bought a couple. The young kid behind the counter seemed to me like he didn't wanna be bothered Til we said we might want to buy a mod. Funny thing is he made a comment about paying for customer service after I said $100 is a lot for the Subox and I just got it cheaper online. I laughed and the owner said oh if I didn't have overhead and just do online business then I can do better prices. My question to you guys the consumer. Would you rather pay way more locally or save money online? To me it ain't like your saving a little. Your saving a lot online.

I have a shop. It costs me money just to talk to you. It's a Motorcycle shop. If you need my help come in & I will help You. I have to pay for everything. I charge what, I want. If you don't like it, Thanks for coming by. I have a warehouse somewhere, If you want it, I got it! If you need it, I can Get It. B&M V Webpage. They don't offer towing tho. :cool:

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My guess is he's implying the fact the franchise can charge whatever it wants as the sales are what keep them going. Weather it's by charging taxes sometimes and not other times just means they either have no idea of uniformity or are just plain lazy on how they run things. Sounds highly unprofessional to me - I would've changed shops as well to somewhere more official and professional.

Sent from my CM 12.One using Tapatalk

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was making a comparison of Brick & Mortar shops Versus Internet shops that order & drop ship from a warehouse somewhere. I know how to do it, just not how to explain it. :confused:

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh ok sorry. Man. KayOhBe. What's up. But yea I get what ur saying. Like any business at all. U want people to come to you and word of mouth goes far

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Like jack said on previous post. We all work hard for our cash. And they want our cash. But work with us.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is where I am with this...
I don't mind spending my hard earned money to purchase something I want.
However, here is the ONE THING I base my purchase on: Customer Service

If I have lousy customer service, DO NOT EXPECT ME TO RETURN!
If I have excellent customer service, not only will I return but I will also be letting all my friends/family about this place etc.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree and disagree. If I want something I get it. Customer service is absolutely important but let's compare my 2 shops. They both have somewhat similar customer service. But neither one excels or does something that stands out from the other except that one offers more eliquid to try and purchase. YouTube has been my friend on reviews lately due to vaping. I don't have to hold it, touch it, or anything else I bust my
A$$ for my money and pay a mortgage so you need to excel to get my money. Work with someone. Not this is what it is.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, if I want something I too will get it.
However, if I know I do not or would not receive good customer service somewhere.
I don't have any issue buying online and waiting for however long it takes to get to me.

So basically, if my local B&M wants my business, I will be happy to give them my business until their customer service takes a turn for the worse. This has occurred more times than I care to count at many B&M's that I have visited in my locale.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Customer service is not one thing, it's the ONLY thing. If a customer leaves My shop with a bad taste in his mouth, it is going to hurt my wallet. Word of mouth can Kill a company. One Dude called me one Friday night and said his bike wouldn't start & needed my help. He left out the rode it into a swimming pool part. Got a friend that has a wrecker & fished it out. Cleaned all up got it running. If he needs anything to do with a bike he brings it to me. He has been a loyal customer 7-8 years. I still laugh when I think of it. :cool:

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yes j3. I hate to say it like this but they will learn when they out of business. And when u mention online prices to them. Ur the asshole for saying that. And I kinda feel bad cuz when u go in. U can tell the really noob (which I'm not a expert at all on this) to the supposed master vapor. And how they interact with them.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dude you know how many bike shops have screwed me. And now I only mess with a tech who does it out of his house garage. When you start taking ridiculous amounts of money from me and give me "good customer service" because you made yourself sound good. I will bash the ish out of ur shop.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Saddletramp. That is great. Lmao.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh for anyone who cares, Kawasaki Jet Ski's float. Kawasaki Motorcycles don't.:cool:
Check this out...Might not be a Kawasaki, but a motorcycle nonetheless...
1369224161560419502.gif

I buy all my mods and wire online since it's at least half the price of a shop and I'm tight on money but I have no problem buying juice, cotton and a energy drink and hanging out at my local shop/ lounge with friends. They had a IVP4 for sale, $115. I bought my IVP4s online for $69 with free 2-day shipping. I love to support local shops but I can't justify spending $45 more when I can get 2-3 bottles of good quality juice with the price difference.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy most of my stuff at the lowest price I can get. It's a year old, so what. A New 200w make the same voltage as an old one. I am proud to say, I have damn near every Atomizer ever made. Clones work just fine. We own a Machine Shop. There's no difference. I just care what I buy gets here. :cool:

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In my experience (what with running my own convenience store for 9 years) retailers can either be for the people or for themselves. I'm one of the few who do it for the people.
For example, everyone likes homemade bread so there's this 80 year old lady who lives down the road and loves baking it - does it 3-4 times a week. We have an arrangement where she sets the price and i make next to nothing in dollar form but a whole lot in customer satisfaction.
Nothing makes my day better than to see a disgruntled customer walk out of my shop with a smile on their face due to the impact of our communications.
As for vape shops - the ones I've been to anyways - they don't seem to care what they do with their prices, I actually overheard a shop owner whilst discussing raising the price on their "premium juices" (12 monkeys) from $20 to $25 say "if they'll pay twenty bucks for it they'll pay 25 bucks for it". Needless to say, I haven't bought any juice from there since as I don't believe that was proper grounds (greed) to go jacking your prices up on.

Sent from my CM 12.One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spiveykidd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well honestly it depends on if they have competition, Like here in Dothan Alabama our vape shops have huge competition we have 7 different places you can get E- cigarette products in a 50,000 populated town so prices are reasonable with a 10% increase most times! For some people though depending on your situation you could talk them down if you know it's way over priced and if that doesn't work just result to shopping online. :)

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The 2 local places around where I live. The prices look about the same. Except the one closest to me they don't seem like they want to deal. In my opinion I think since the market is limited around here they think price is what it is. The other place will negotiate but not by much. I know they offer 10% off if u say something nice bout them on social media. Personally I write reviews (word of mouth) if there service is exceptional or down right horrible. Like another post said I work hard for my money. I'm not a young adult. I have a wife, kids and a house we just purchased so money has to stretch

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to work for a guy who ran a sub-distribution comic book store. He would get orders from 30 shops around the area and place one large order, Then me and another guy would load up our cars and make deliveries when the order came in. It worked well for the comic book shops because he could get a higher discount by buying in a much larger quantity,and he made a nice little profit cuz he could bump up the cost but still give the shops a decent discount compared to what they would have paid by themselves. If you have a decent amount of capital to invest, this system might work pretty well with a bunch of local shops getting together and buying their inventory cheaper through you. :) Hooray for capitalism.
Local shops could form a co-op and buy things in volume and pass the savings on to us. Or do something like you said. I know one place I go to that buys stuff online but still chargers high prices for items. Was asking about something the other day they had bought online at the same places I would have bought it and they had it marked up 100%+. So there is no way I would buy it from them. The only things I need to buy right away are things like juice and coils all other stiff I can buy online unless I think the shop is giving a fair price then I will buy from them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If I know shops are being fair exactly I will buy from them. But a 100 to 300% mark up is down right ridiculous. Example. My pop tried my subox mini and liked the flavor. So I asked him do u want one. He said sure. So I gave him my coolfire 4 and I just gotta give him a tank. So I called the shop that I figured would be a little more reasonable. I asked about the isub and of course I did my research online before callin. He told me the isub was out of stock and would have back in stock this week. And they charge 35$. I told him online prices range from 12.99 at vapordna.com to 26.99 on eBay. With free shipping I can deal with $20 to 25$ for the isub locally. But I'm not giving them 35 for a "older model since isub g is out already" I can pick up a triton or something of that type for 35$ but my dad is new this so he doesn't need anything crazy.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Theres a lot of people out there that dont bother with internet. So they dont know theyre getting ripped off.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't bother with Internet. At first. I went in and said hey I want to stop smoking what u got that's good. He showed me a what I thought was good setup bought two of them for me and my wife and now they lost a customer. I will never refer anyone to them again. They got me for $240 at first but now they won't get any serious business from me

Satchvai

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I found the tobacco shops who also sell vape gear are the worst about gouging. I unknowingly paid $35 bucks for a 1300mah Evod spinner. My newbie self was thinking I got this great deal. I check online and they're going for $10 bucks. I go back a few weeks later, after a decent Vape shop got me started on a iStick 50 and an Atlantis V2 and son of a bitch, they had sub-ohm tanks and iStick and Sig 30's in stock but never showed them to me. I sat back and watched what they do and they fleece the beginners with overpriced startup kits, which is sad because it took sub-ohm vaping to get me off the smokes. Thanks for listening to this small rant.

MR. MAYHEM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea man. And when u call them out on it. Ur the bad guy and they argument is they gotta eat to. Guess what man. So do we the consumer. Now u lost business because of ur practices.

VU Sponsors