Become a Patron!

We love cats

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_npo6j3pa2L1r8oi7mo1_1280.jpg

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Awww big baby<3

That spot on the couch is "my" spot... Which is weird, she's always been more of a daddy's girl, but she always lays in MY spot on the couch. :D

Andria

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That spot on the couch is "my" spot... Which is weird, she's always been more of a daddy's girl, but she always lays in MY spot on the couch. :D
That's because she is trying to replace you in daddy's affections. Your spot on the couch must be taken over in order for her to be the central focus of daddy's attentions.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's because she is trying to replace you in daddy's affections. Your spot on the couch must be taken over in order for her to be the central focus of daddy's attentions.

Even when he's not home? When he sits there beside her, she jumps down, so I can sit there. :D

Andria

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, actually, I got that from Wifey and a dog story. I do not claim to "own" any of the dogs here (I am a dyed-in-the-wool cat person), but Wifey claims that Missy is my dog. I denied this until she pointed out that Missy always comes to me to ask for favors, pets, to be taken outside, etc. So? It is usually my job to do that, for both dogs. Zipper, on the other hand, goes to Wifey for these things. Hmmmm....? Then, when Wifey and I are on the couch watching the boob tube after dinner, if Wifey gets up, Missy jumps up on the couch to lie down next to me (licking my hand and asking for belly rubs, etc.). When Wifey returns to the room, Missy vacates the couch and surrenders her position to the Alpha dog (Wifey). If it is me that gets up and goes into another room, Missy does not get up in my position to lie next to Wifey, but very often Zipper will, then she gets down when I return. For the dogs, obviously, this is a method of getting closer to whomever they have decided is their favorite human. Having accepted this as reality, I started watching the cats to see if they demonstrate similar behavior. As long as they are not wrecking havoc somewhere in the house or beating the snot out of each other (winter cabin fever) and are, instead, seeking human attention, they do seem to do the same things. The female cats have decided I belong to them and the male cats believe Wifey is theirs. They come to their selected human for attention and often will attempt to take the non-selected human's position (Your spot on the couch) UNTIL you (Alpha) return to claim that spot. In your house, Tuxie knows you are Alpha Cat. Tuxie can take your spot only until it becomes obvious that you intend to reclaim said spot. But.... Tuxie's smell will also be on that spot, and another cat would recognize it. Tuxie might well expect your husband to also be able to know who was claiming your spot for awhile. In our house, one female cat often sits on the same spot the previous female cat was on when she is trying to get me to pay attention to her (her smell now replaces the other cat's smell).

Last edited:

VU Sponsors