Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_nubkn2dEGD1rdlto8o1_500.jpg

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aqua, just like people, all cats have different personalities. Obviously, I am many decades older than you, so feel I should share ages of wisdom gained from tons of experience - not all good, not all enjoyable. I have lost many cats (and dogs, horses, cows), each of which held a special place in my heart and could never be replaced by anyone else. Don't even try to replace Tigga because you can't and shouldn't. But acquire a new friend, a new relationship, a new love. Do not compare them - just love them for who and what they are and let the relationship grow from that. No one will fill the empty place in your heart that Tigga held, but a new friend can help with the loneliness of Tigga being gone.
Wow, that's a long time to have a furry friend - sorry for your loss.
They're totally a part of the family...I know.
I lost my cat a few months ago too - she was approximately 18, but had only adopted us about 8 years ago.

I knew right away I was going to want another kitty - but I didn't want another kitty right away.

This weekend, we got a TINY little kitten. Cute as anything, a little sick so he's getting babied.
Going to be TOTALLY different for a while, especially - cuz Angel was never a little kitten with us.

Anyway - I feel for you, and take your time, but yeah - if you bond like that with a pet, you shouldn't rule out bringing another one into your life when the time is right.
A few people have said that to me. I think im going to get a dog. Im not really a big fan of them, i got bit above my eyebrow when i was 1 by an alaskan malamute. I have a nice scar as a reminder. I think the real reason I dont want a cat, is because i dont want to have to subject myself through that pain again. I kind of always just thought one day Tiger would die and thatd be it. Thats life, but having to make the decision to have him put down really upset me. I think I sat in the room for a half hour holding him crying. I wouldnt even let the vet touch him to take him to away to be put away to be cremated. I did it all. They walked me back to the freezer and i placed him in. They gave me the weirdest look when i told them that i wanted to do it all. The vet even said noone ever asked to do that before. But to me I didnt want strangers carrying him. He would of hated that.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think im going to get a dog.
The sad part here is that dogs die too. I remember cradling my wife's Dobie's head in my lap while the vet gave him a shot and I will never forget the look in his eyes as he asked me why this was happening to him. I will never get over that. And I am a dyed-in-the-wool cat person, but putting that dog down also broke my heart into a million little pieces. EVERYTHING dies eventually... mom, dad, brothers, sisters... your spouse. The only way to make yourself immune is to live in a bubble and never ever again be associated with anyone or anything living. And if you do that, YOU won't be living, because you will lose the biggest thing that makes you whole: loving someone and being loved.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The sad part here is that dogs die too. I remember cradling a Dobie's head in my lap while the vet gave him a shot and I will never forget the look in his eyes as he asked me why this was happening to him. I will never get over that. And I am a dyed-in-the-wool cat person, but putting that dog down also broke my heart into a million little pieces. EVERYTHING dies eventually... mom, dad, brothers, sisters... your spouse. The only way to make yourself immune is to live in a bubble and never ever again be associated with anyone or anything living. And if you do that, YOU won't be living, because you will lose the biggest thing that makes you whole: loving someone and being loved.
Oh trust me i know, Mom passed away when i was 2 from leukemia, a year and a half ago my grandfather (call him father because he and my grandma raised me/ real dad not in the picture) passed away from dementia. Being raised by senior citizens, you go to a lot of funerals. My family isnt close, so basically in the past 2 years ive lost 50% of family im with everyday, My grandfather, and Tiger The only reason i think i want a dog is simply because Im not all that fond of them because they scare me. I dont pet dogs i dont know, and i try to stay away from them. My logic (which i know is flawed) is that i wont become attached as much (highly doubtful because youll spend a lot of time together) because of my past experiences of being bitten.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
♡♡ @aquaholic2491 So sorry for your loss. Beautiful cat. Love his eyes.

I didn't think I'd ever get another pet when my dog Star passed. I was 10 when I got her for my birthday. I was 29 when she died. I didn't have another pet for .... wow, 10 years I guess and then I was at a friend's looking at her new litter of kittens and this tiny little runt of a tortie crawled out of the hand of the lady next to me, plopped into my hand and went to sleep, purring loudly.

She chose me. I don't know why but she did. If/When you are ready for a new pet ...the animal will find you. I have no doubt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The only reason i think i want a dog is simply because Im not all that fond of them because they scare me. I don't pet dogs i don't know, and i try to stay away from them. My logic (which i know is flawed) is that i wont become attached as much (highly doubtful because you'll spend a lot of time together) because of my past experiences of being bitten.
Yup, you're going to spend a lot of time together, and even though you have a past scare issue to deal with, your new friend will convince you otherwise. S/he is going to love the heck outta ya... dogs more so than cats. They have a loyalty I have never understood. If you trip over them (your fault) and you yell at them or even kick them, THEY will come to you, head down and apologizing because it simply MUST have been their fault or you wouldn't have been angry. The cat, if you do the same thing, will tell you to go taking a flying fuck and not get near you for a week. But, like Forza just said, someone is going to choose you to be his/her human. Cat or dog, let your heart decide when that time comes.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yup, you're going to spend a lot of time together, and even though you have a past scare issue to deal with, your new friend will convince you otherwise. S/he is going to love the heck outta ya... dogs more so than cats. They have a loyalty I have never understood. If you trip over them (your fault) and you yell at them or even kick them, THEY will come to you, head down and apologizing because it simply MUST have been their fault or you wouldn't have been angry. The cat, if you do the same thing, will tell you to go taking a flying fuck and not get near you for a week. But, like Forza just said, someone is going to choose you to be his/her human. Cat or dog, let your heart decide when that time comes.

ROFL! I tripped over our kitty recently, and I think I stepped on her paw... For a couple weeks after that, everytime I'd stand up from sitting, she'd vamoose QUICK. :giggle: My husband thought it was hilarious, that now our cat knows as well as everyone else, how clumsy I am. :giggle:

Andria

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
♡♡ @aquaholic2491 So sorry for your loss. Beautiful cat. Love his eyes.

I didn't think I'd ever get another pet when my dog Star passed. I was 10 when I got her for my birthday. I was 29 when she died. I didn't have another pet for .... wow, 10 years I guess and then I was at a friend's looking at her new litter of kittens and this tiny little runt of a tortie crawled out of the hand of the lady next to me, plopped into my hand and went to sleep, purring loudly.

She chose me. I don't know why but she did. If/When you are ready for a new pet ...the animal will find you. I have no doubt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
He had great expressions, here is a picture of his usual routine of waking me up and then sleeping in my spot
20131126_151756_LLS_zps2amm2yh5.jpg

Here he is after i made a fence to keep him from eating the tree and knocking the ornaments off 3 Christmases ago. He was not happy about my little project.
2015-12-06%2001.54.38_zpsb2joqioq.jpg

The cat, if you do the same thing, will tell you to go taking a flying fuck and not get near you for a week.
That's my favorite quality of cats. Tiger would pick fights with me and chase me around the house. Theres actually an interesting documentary on netflix about cats and how they unlike most dogs could survive without humans. Where as a lot of small dogs wouldnt have an idea how to live without humans because they have been so domesticated.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Aquaholic.. I have to go along with Draconigena... The only way to avoid pain is to never love. Who'd want to live like that? Pain is part of life; that';s why there's a cliche about taking the bitter with the sweet.

Sure, you can live in a closet, never interact with or love anyone... but who'd want to live like that?

I lost my mother in October, after her being my mom for FIFTY FIVE years. She was a royal pain in my ass about 99% of the time... but I loved her, and I miss her terribly. But the reason why it hurts so much is BECAUSE I loved her.. even if she was a stubborn childish pain in the ass! I'm sure when our kitty goes to the grerat sandbox in the sky, it'll hurt like hell... but I wouldn't have passed up having her in our lives, she's brought us so much joy... along with being another pain in the ass sometimes, when she won't come in when she knows damn well she's supposed to.

The flip side of love isn't hate; it's pain. Can't have love without it, because it means you care. Anything you care about, when you lose it, it's going to hurt. It's inescapable.

Andria

VU Sponsors