Become a Patron!

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using an XCube II, but this question is applicable to all variable mods that have the ability to set coil resistance, be they voltage, wattage, or temp control. My mod rarely reads coils at their stated resistance (ohm) rating. They almost all come in a little over or under where the manufacturer says they're supposed to be. Part of that is because the XCube II reads to the hundredth of a point, so mods that stop at a tenth like my Sig Mini wouldn't register the issue most of the time (a 0.4-ohm coil reading 0.48 ohms, for example).

My question is, should I change the wattage to match the manufacturer's stated resistance rating (from 0.48 ohms down to 0.40 ohms, continuing the example), or is it better to leave the resistance where my mod is reading it? When I say "better" I mean with regard to coil life, flavor, and vapor production. I've been resetting the resistance to what it says on the side of the coil for as long as I've owned the mod, but it recently occurred to me that this may not be the best thing to do for the coil or for getting the best vapor out of it.

Thanks in advance for any help from those more knowledgeable and inclined toward electrical engineering than myself.

The Juice Loosener

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would probably just leave it. There's always going to be some variance on factory made coils. And just adjust your power/temp settings to taste.
Thanks. Since I wrote this post, that's what I've been doing. I knew that coils varied because even before I got the XCube II I had an iStick and the Sig mini and both of them would be off by as much as a tenth of a point with some coils. I just hadn't had the ability to adjust for it before so I was unsure if that was a good idea or not. Leaving them alone rather than forcing slightly more or less juice (power) through them than they're actually made for makes sense, I just wasn't sure why I even had the option.

I'm going to go with what the box tells me and adjust the power accordingly.

VU Sponsors