https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Should the VS ask if it is a new atomizer every time you change it? Because mine doesn't. Going from 0.25 to 0.5 or visa versa it doesn't ask. But it has sometimes. I know it monitors constantly. And you don't "lock in" base like a yihi... But then what is the point of asking if it is a new atomizer? Seems to me when you say "yes" it locks it in as baseline. When it doesn't, I'm not convinced it is set up right.
No, it does not. I forget the parameters but it assumes with a larger change in Rt that you have a new atomizer and makes whatever adjustments are needed.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cool. I'm good to go then. Played around with settings and burn tests today. Feel like I'm in the ball park.

Bow2King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Should the VS ask if it is a new atomizer every time you change it? Because mine doesn't. Going from 0.25 to 0.5 or visa versa it doesn't ask. But it has sometimes. I know it monitors constantly. And you don't "lock in" base like a yihi... But then what is the point of asking if it is a new atomizer? Seems to me when you say "yes" it locks it in as baseline. When it doesn't, I'm not convinced it is set up right.

only when there is a 25%difference it will ask!!

Bow2King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

thanks ill try out those settings when i get a chance popped in the dual clapton coil, wow is all i can say, and also got the new philip rocke vape the rainbow its like I'm vaping a bag of skittles pretty damn good!

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
only when there is a 25%difference it will ask!!
Ya, it's a 100% difference if that's what you mean. Quarter to a half ohm. It certainly reads right. And I don't have my ohms locked. That's why I thought it was odd.

underd0g

Member For 4 Years
A few things I thought I'd come and share about the VS.
Dose anyone know about the safety factor when it comes to the lipo that's being used in our VS DNA 200? I've been toying around with RC's for about a year now with my son and have learned a great deal in regards lipo battery packs. The pack thats used in our mod is supposed to be used with a balance lipo charger, it even states so on the FullyMax lipo battery itself.
And it got me to wondering about the amount of time I'm getting with this lipo while vaping throughout the day. Thing is I know most plp aren't going to have an lipo RC charger and wondered how VS is getting away with it by using the 2.0 zip-charge thats now becoming the standard across technology. I don't know much about how its used in smartphones and smaller gadgets but in laptops I know theres built in balancing technology to keep the battery safe. I know this because of a lipo my son & I were using that I accidentally used for the first month without a balance charger and the battery started poof out and I got shorter run times in his RC truck.
I don't have any definitive proof yet as I'm just going to test this out on the VS in the next few days, but my RC shop fastened together an adapter for the end of the fullymax battery so I can charge it with a balance board and charger. I'll Report back my findings in a few days.

Sent from my  ☏

underd0g

Member For 4 Years
Here's the adapter that they made for the lipo battery.

87d9be96bc46ce8e5b7484262786d9e6.jpg

Sent from my  ☏

Dragger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
A few things I thought I'd come and share about the VS.
Dose anyone know about the safety factor when it comes to the lipo that's being used in our VS DNA 200? I've been toying around with RC's for about a year now with my son and have learned a great deal in regards lipo battery packs. The pack thats used in our mod is supposed to be used with a balance lipo charger, it even states so on the FullyMax lipo battery itself.
And it got me to wondering about the amount of time I'm getting with this lipo while vaping throughout the day. Thing is I know most plp aren't going to have an lipo RC charger and wondered how VS is getting away with it by using the 2.0 zip-charge thats now becoming the standard across technology. I don't know much about how its used in smartphones and smaller gadgets but in laptops I know theres built in balancing technology to keep the battery safe. I know this because of a lipo my son & I were using that I accidentally used for the first month without a balance charger and the battery started poof out and I got shorter run times in his RC truck.
I don't have any definitive proof yet as I'm just going to test this out on the VS in the next few days, but my RC shop fastened together an adapter for the end of the fullymax battery so I can charge it with a balance board and charger. I'll Report back my findings in a few days.

Sent from my  ☏

As I remember, the DNA200 chip itself handles balance charging.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know enough to speak to it, but they say they say it's a balance charging board. On escribe you can look at each cell and all the performance.

Hate to say it, but I just take their word for it. It's such a known issue with lipos they can't just ignore it. If they didn't do it, they would have to tell you that you have to buy a balance charger to charge it.

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How is this possible without it being connected to the lipo balance adapter on the battery?

Sent from my  ☏
The Balance adapter/connector is connected when installed in the mod.

Dragger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
How is this possible without it being connected to the lipo balance adapter on the battery?

Sent from my  ☏

Harpo has already replied.

Along with the large 2 pin power connection, there is also a small 4 pin connection (looks just like the old IDE power connector) which connects to the part of the board that balances the charge.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Also-the battery in the VS and Lavabox are the same ones sold by evolv.

Stepinrazor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought my VS DNA 200 a couple of days ago, and only really started toying with it today. Quickly noticed that none of my RDA's will sit flush on the 510 connector. There is a noticeable gap, so much so that my RDA's actually wobble.

Picture below to illustrate.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
image.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I bought my VS DNA 200 a couple of days ago, and only really started toying with it today. Quickly noticed that none of my RDA's will sit flush on the 510 connector. There is a noticeable gap, so much so that my RDA's actually wobble.

Picture below to illustrate.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
View attachment 32832
Actually no, I haven't. But I do have a derringer and zero issues like that. Is the 510 screwed in all the way?
If so you may wanna call them.
temporary_zpsxt2nfvnb.jpg

Stepinrazor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Actually no, I haven't. But I do have a derringer and zero issues like that. Is the 510 screwed in all the way?
If so you may wanna call them.
temporary_zpsxt2nfvnb.jpg

Thank you for sharing your picture, and yes the RDA is screwed in as tight as it will go. I have the same issue with the Aeolus, the Phenotype L, Twisted Messes and Kennedy RDAs.

I have just emailed VS raising the issue and have been issued a ticket number.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for sharing your picture, and yes the RDA is screwed in as tight as it will go. I have the same issue with the Aeolus, the Phenotype L, Twisted Messes and Kennedy RDAs.

I have just emailed VS raising the issue and have been issued a ticket number.
Yeah dude, I have all of those other than the phenotype and never an issue yet,

Stepinrazor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah dude, I have all of those other than the phenotype and never an issue yet,

Thank you for confirming brother, am not happy to use it as the RDAs have a noticeable wobble and will be pushing my B+M for a replacement device. I am not interested in sending it back to VS for a fix. The only good thing is that all of my settings are saved in escribe, so I can re-flash the replacement and not lose all of the effort I made in setting up my profiles. Making the assumption that I will be offered a replacement.

Stepinrazor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To update, if anyone is interested. Vapor Shark responded quite quickly to my raised issue with the 510 connector. Offering me postage to send back for a fix, I can also recommend my B+M Avante Garde Eliquid who quickly replaced my device this morning.

My Twisted Messes still doesn't fit the VS device, however I am not having the same issues with my other RDAs

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My VS sort of lost it's mind... a little. Last night my Crown .25 started cutting out. It would do the punch, then go to pretty much zero. Today same. Then it wasn't doing TC. So I figured my coil went bad, so I changed it. Same thing. No TC really. Turned it down to 200F, and used a 316 TCR. I had ohms locked, unlocked, locked.

So I got home and the resistance was jumping all over. It did not read below .33 on my .25 new coil. Looked at monitor but it wasn't even firing. Played around with coil and tank connections. Everything was solid. Put in another new .25 coil. It was jumping around too. Put a .5 coil in I had used slightly and it read .67 and it jumped around too.

So then I look at my Hcigar and it was fine. Switched tanks, it was fine. Put the VS tank on the Hcigar and it read .27 ohms and steady. Both tanks are steady on both boxes just swapped. If it was the coil fine. Connection, fine. But now the tanks are swapped and it works fine. I don't really get that.

AdubbaU

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems you might need to contact VS support unfortunately at least they might be able to provide better troubleshooting if it is not something they have seen many times already.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
it could have just been dirt on the 510 connection and when you swapped you cleaned/dislodged whatever the issue was.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well FUCK! My VS is toast. One minute it worked, next it was dead. No screen, no power, no nothing. I guess I'll be boxing it up and sending it in for repair.

I really love my VS too. If you are going to get a standard 900 mah battery, then the VS is as small and light as it gets. The coating does not stand up, but I never expected it would. I guess my VT200 will have to do full duty till I get it back.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Well FUCK! My VS is toast. One minute it worked, next it was dead. No screen, no power, no nothing. I guess I'll be boxing it up and sending it in for repair.

I really love my VS too. If you are going to get a standard 900 mah battery, then the VS is as small and light as it gets. The coating does not stand up, but I never expected it would. I guess my VT200 will have to do full duty till I get it back.
right here is my concern
besides having to switch form 18650s to lipos
i would not expect the VS to just CRAP OUT as described.
and for 199 id be pissed
but it has a good company and good warranty behind it so that is a plus
and for 199 the finish not holding up would piss me off too. now did you pay for the extra coating as well? if so then Id be triple pissed

so paying well over 100 for any dna200 seems just like too much to me
when I picked up a kooper Plus tc 200w today for $35 that can do 95% of the dna200 functionality just no escribe.
if it just craps out... oh well its $35 at hat price 5 of them could crap out and id break even on a dna 200

I love how much everyone loves their dna200 mods, but even the $120 ones seems over priced. A VS for $99 with warranty seems more in lone with what you can get for $35-50 from china

Maybe a new yihi board will p at least compare to the dna200 and we will have P4Us with DNA200 like abilities for less then half the price in the coming months

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well SX Minis are comparable price. Sigelie makes some comparable. The fact that others are dirt cheap does not thrill me. It's a $200-150 mod that is the latest greatest. There are others at that price that are not. And there are other much more expensive.

The extra coating is for moisture protection and I don't have a need. A rubberized coating on metal is never going to last. Paint doesn't, anodizing doesn't. Even powder coating isn't indestructible. I never expected it to stay perfect. I have never dropped it, but I don't baby it. Pocket carry or thrown in the lunchbox. It has a bit of wear. It's held up better than I expected.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh shit, dude! I'm just seeing this, that just sucks man, I'm sorry to hear

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, kind of a bummer. Gotta be the fuse. That's what it is for most. Nothing funny was going on before it gave up. I was just heading out, had to go back home for the back up. I'm pretty sure I'll live though. :)

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry for your loss... Out of curiosity were you charging it shortly before it left you?

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Either way we are all a little let down when our favorite mod acts up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry for your loss... Out of curiosity were you charging it shortly before it left you?
No, I actually charged it yesterday and didn't use it last night. So it was full charge. Grabbed it this morning and it was fine. Headed out took a couple drags. A little further down the road, nothing. And yes, I am let down. It is my fav, and it had a very short life span. Not cool. I know it will be fixed, but still a pain in the ass. I don't do anything crazy, and I've never had it over 125w just "to see". I'm always in TC. So ya, disappointing

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I am sure vs will do right by you. Just sucks to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No, I actually charged it yesterday and didn't use it last night. So it was full charge. Grabbed it this morning and it was fine. Headed out took a couple drags. A little further down the road, nothing. And yes, I am let down. It is my fav, and it had a very short life span. Not cool. I know it will be fixed, but still a pain in the ass. I don't do anything crazy, and I've never had it over 125w just "to see". I'm always in TC. So ya, disappointing

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to piece together any similarities of all these different devices dying, and the USB charging circuit is one area I'm thinking may be one of the sources is why I asked if you were recently charging. Seen several reports of mods dying during & after charging as well as charging over the stated 500mA when connected to PC all the way up to 3A in one post I've seen. Failed Over Current Protection or failures in the USB charging circuit could lead to failed or burnt USB chips or dead boards IMO. Been trying to get input on ECF about this possibility but seems that's just turning into a pissing match.

I'm betting in your case if you connect to PC you can detect the device in Escribe and do everything but vape? (The blown fuse syndrome)

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I haven't hooked it up yet. I know it's dead. But was going to take a look at it on the pc when I get a chance.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok here is my confusion..@powerman you speak of these high end mods in the 150-200 range
most of which are customs,sx mini m and ml and dna200s

the ipv3li I have is a tank and works like a charm after being beat and dropped repeatedly and can be had for under 100
the sig 150 same deal there

the main difference between these devices and a vs dna200 is
1.escribe
2. ss tc
3 the company warranty behind it

now p4u and sig do a decent job on warranty issues from what I read, but VS probably does better
yihi could simply release an update for the 3li and it could do everything the dna 200 board can thats actually useful

so im not sure i see the value in these 150-200 mods especially when then can and do fail the same as the cheaper ones

i feel the sx m and ml are over priced, hell i think in comparison the last time i checked sig 150tc and 3li prices the sig was over priced

i am sorry your fav mod died, it suck regardless of what you pay for it, i am glad it will be fixed at little expense to you. but is that warranty and escribe really worth over double what the next best mods after the 150-200 mod range are going for, this iswhat i am trying to understand.

DID i just waste $35 today on a koopor plus which can do ss tc and has 200 watts and adjustable tcr but doesnt have a warranty like VS and im sure is not built quite as nice as a VS device. should i have just bit the bullet and taken advantage of the black friday sale and spent 160ish on a VS DNA200?

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, only you can answer that. If you want what the VS offers and the price doesn't matter that much then buy it. Value and reasonable are totally subjective for everyone. The great thing about vaping is you can get pretty good gear for dirt cheap. But I'm not huge into variety. I don't have 10 boxes and 20 tanks in a drawer. $200 for a VS just isn't that big of a deal to me. And I have been waiting for a few weeks for a new box to drop that I really really want. $275 for a custom DNA. Can't wait.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, only you can answer that. If you want what the VS offers and the price doesn't matter that much then buy it. Value and reasonable are totally subjective for everyone. The great thing about vaping is you can get pretty good gear for dirt cheap. But I'm not huge into variety. I don't have 10 boxes and 20 tanks in a drawer. $200 for a VS just isn't that big of a deal to me. And I have been waiting for a few weeks for a new box to drop that I really really want. $275 for a custom DNA. Can't wait.
I have three primary devices, an sxmini m class, a dna200 and a hexohm2.1
I have a bunch of mechs and other dna's but I've grown with the brand. I've used the sigeleis and p4u and they are great devices! I just got into the mode of uprading once a year, I guess; and, sticking with that. I do buy a bunch of toppers here and there, though.
What I do like about the DNA mod's, is that evolve backs the board beyond the fodder backing the mod.

MonsterClouds

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok here is my confusion..@powerman you speak of these high end mods in the 150-200 range
most of which are customs,sx mini m and ml and dna200s

the ipv3li I have is a tank and works like a charm after being beat and dropped repeatedly and can be had for under 100
the sig 150 same deal there

the main difference between these devices and a vs dna200 is
1.escribe
2. ss tc
3 the company warranty behind it

now p4u and sig do a decent job on warranty issues from what I read, but VS probably does better
yihi could simply release an update for the 3li and it could do everything the dna 200 board can thats actually useful

so im not sure i see the value in these 150-200 mods especially when then can and do fail the same as the cheaper ones

i feel the sx m and ml are over priced, hell i think in comparison the last time i checked sig 150tc and 3li prices the sig was over priced

i am sorry your fav mod died, it suck regardless of what you pay for it, i am glad it will be fixed at little expense to you. but is that warranty and escribe really worth over double what the next best mods after the 150-200 mod range are going for, this iswhat i am trying to understand.

DID i just waste $35 today on a koopor plus which can do ss tc and has 200 watts and adjustable tcr but doesnt have a warranty like VS and im sure is not built quite as nice as a VS device. should i have just bit the bullet and taken advantage of the black friday sale and spent 160ish on a VS DNA200?
where did you get the kooper plus 200w at?

Grego

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Ok you I am sure this information was posted somewhere in this thread. But I just picked up the vs200 searching for info finally stumbled on a post elsewhere. In case any other new owners are searching this thread here is how you change profiles on device hold up/down to lock double click up or down to switch profiles fire to choose profile

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ok you I am sure this information was posted somewhere in this thread. But I just picked up the vs200 searching for info finally stumbled on a post elsewhere. In case any other new owners are searching this thread here is how you change profiles on device hold up/down to lock double click up or down to switch profiles fire to choose profile
All you have to do is Google "DNA 200 data sheet". All the instructions are on it. I'm not being condescending. I had seen it before, but I just thought it was a tech sheet. It's the manual for the board. I was going crazy trying to find the VS manual.

Last edited:

Grego

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Hey thanks for the heads up , I assumed the data sheet was numbers graphs etc. I really appreciate the help

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All DNA200 mods operate the same way. The only real difference I'm aware of is the VS supports 2amp zip charging while other companies are limited to 1 amp.

From the mod you can switch profiles, adjust wattage and temperature, and lock ohms. You can't set up profiles, adjust ramp up time (preheat) from the mod (you need to use Escribe). These are just some examples. Once you learn one DNA200, you will be able to operate any DNA200 mod. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I got a RMA from VS Monday after calling them. Got it sent out that day. Figured with the weekend I was loking at next week. VS sent it out 1 day air and it was deliver today. Can't tell you how pleased I am by their service.

I got my new Crius all set up. Got my VS DNA 200 all set up for that and my Crown. Updated firmware. All ready to go for vaping perfection....

RETURN TO RESEARCHER! FUCK!

Nothing. Updated, hard booted. Reset... return to researcher. I can't tell you how pissed I am. I bought another one Cyber Monday. figured it will be here next week. It hasn't been filled yet. I paid for 2 VSs and all I have that works in my VT200. Probably won't be able to talk to them till Monday.

Any suggestions.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK... I don't know what all that's about.... I used a my old file for my VS. So I reset it to factory defalts and it worked. Loaded some SS VCS... it worked. Changed some settings, didn't work. Don't have time now to figure out what it didn't like. I have to get up in 6 hours. But it works.

I set time limit to 8s. Max kanthal power to 150w. It didn't like one of those. I don't care. I never set those before I don't think. Anyway, happy, and time for bed. Vape perfection....

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
damn dude! That blows donkey balls! glad you got it working some kind of way

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
damn dude! That blows donkey balls! glad you got it working some kind of way
Liking the new avatar. :)

So do you know the "Return to researcher" message? I've seen it mentioned before and it was said it has to go back to VS. I googled last night and couldn't even get a hit on the subject. So I don't even know what it is for. But for me, it was entering a setting and then taking it away. No go/go.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Liking the new avatar. :)

So do you know the "Return to researcher" message? I've seen it mentioned before and it was said it has to go back to VS. I googled last night and couldn't even get a hit on the subject. So I don't even know what it is for. But for me, it was entering a setting and then taking it away. No go/go.

I did a search on the Evolv Early Adopters forum and I found this posted by an Administrator:

"Return to researcher? How on earth did you get THAT?

Were you even on the research tab?

Which firmware version was this? Also, which mod was this?

Return to researcher would be if you were running a research study and wanted it to shut off after, say, 15 minutes, or 100 puffs, or whatever. "

Not sure if that helps. Good luck and I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's funny. I'll go ask over there. I didn't do anything crazy. Set up profiles. Changed a couple setting. Don't play with anything fancy or any of their factory settings on the mod itself.

More than likely it was the time limit of 8s. I know I haven't set that before, but thought sure, it should not fire for more than 8s. That's a long draw for me. Maybe I didn't notice other stuff connected to that.

VU Sponsors