Become a Patron!

VapeSuperSaver.com - FREE shipping on $15+ orders! Subtank Sale!

Kanger K-Box

• Total voters

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm ready to pounce on them when they show up on the website.

Why do manufacturers do that? Orings can't be that difficult to get.
I just got them from VSS the other day. Black, clear, baby blue and pink

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BTW, the Subtank Mini I received from VSS had the old, white insulators installed. I am corresponding with them, now. Will post anything of interest.

The one I received from Triangle Vapes, same thing. I specifically requested in my order comment that if their tanks were from the original batch w/o the peek insulators to cancel that portion of my order. I am communicating with them now.

My first Subtank Mini from Vapor Beast which I've had for about a month now is from the new batch with peek insulators. They are one of the largest distributors of Kanger products and told me that all the batches from China are now the new ones. So, what I received from the above mentioned vendors is old stock and I'm not happy. Vapor Beast also added that if I should receive an old one by mistake (because they still had them in their inventory) that they have stocked up on extra peeks from Kanger and would send them to any of their customers, free of charge, if this should happen to them.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Muth, I guess that means I no doubt have the older one too:(
Edit I think that was the full size tanks not the mini's or nano's,and the problem was in the rebuildable unit is that right??

Last edited:

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks Muth, I guess that means I no doubt have the older one too:(
Edit I think that was the full size tanks not the mini's or nano's,and the problem was in the rebuildable unit is that right??
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. It's been an epic day! It was the Mini. The Nano doesn't have an RBA so this doesn't apply, I don't have the full size but there is a problem with the insulators in the RBA decks and I believe that goes for all of the RBAs (but don't quote me). The first edition of the Subtank Minis have a white, plastic insulator under the deck (see Busardo's review). This material gives off an unpleasant taste that Busardo calls monkey ass. I've experienced it, not good. The new edition of Minis have peek insulators, a clear, virtually invisible material that will not melt or give off unpleasant tastes. I would imagine that Kanger replaced all insulators with this new material.

There are other faults to look for: Some decks have screws that will not tighten down and sit flush, preventing you from tightening down your coils.

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yikes. I have heard of vendors calling but during business hours which seems respectful and results are usually happy endings. I think many prefer to stick to writting as a cya.

I know Sweet-Vapes has a notice they were sending out replacements before .... date and those they recieved afterwards, they had replaced the insulators themseles. That was long enough ago I assumed all stock had PEEK insulations esp with turnover like it sounds like VSS has. Hopefully Kanger is not still sending subtank without proper insulators in them.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Triangle Vape has resolved the issue as well. @Whiskey and all who are interested, here is the latest and most informative piece of info on this subject that I have found so far. This has a 2/9/15 post date.

[1.] Just so we're on the same page or for anyone coming to it late. There appear to be 3 known insulators. The original (possibly silicone or hard plastic) white-ish one, the second limited release clear (PEEK), and the one currently released tan one (PEEK), and possibly a minor variation for the mini that's just related to sizing.

[2.] People keep saying that because they changed to a brown PEEK, it's proof there is something wrong with the clear PEEK. That's a huge leap into post hoc ergo propter hoc territory, and while I can't say why the switch happened, there are any number of explanations that are as or even more likely, such as initially sourcing parts that are were more expensive than necessary in order to get a fix out the door before switching to the tan insulators.

[3.] Peek is a partially-crystaline polymer, or thermoplastic, known as polyetheretherketone. It has a glass-transition temp of 143C and melts at around 340C. 143C seems low, but some versions are OK at around 250C. There are 4-5 main grades of PEEK:

(a) Unfilled: No reinforcement, certified for food. Naturally a very light brown, but also comes in black. There are variants that are certified foodsafe/lifescience that aren't tan/black, but they're less common.

(b.) 30% Glass: Glass fibers are added to make it better withstand high temps with less expansion, as things like to expand/contract when cooled/heated and in low-tolerance situations that isn't ideal. Also light brown/tan.

(c.) 30% Carbon: Carbon fibers make it stiffer with much less expansion. Black/dark gray.

(d.) Keltron/HPV/Bearing: Carbon fiber, plus graphite and lubricants added. Black/dark gray.

(e.)Various Blends: There are white blends (ceramics) and blue blends (glass I believe usually) and translucent blends (vestakeep, etc.). They all behave differently and have different strengths, like ease of injection-molding or extrusion, surface resistance at higher temps, etc.

My hunch is the first clear PEEK falls into (e). It may be that it was actually better for our purposes in some ways and the tan is simply cheaper, or it may be the clear variant was good enough but the tan handles 10C more for the same price. Claiming in bold letters and exclamation points that they're unsafe everywhere doesn't seem warranted.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Concerning the above post, you can purchase the new PEEKS from KangerTech for $0.99 or your vendor should be able to supply you with a free one if you have the first, white insulator that can melt.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the info @muth - I'll check out the two RBAs I bought tonight - while I didn't care much about my o-ring color, getting the right insulators is kind of a big deal to me. I didn't mention it specifically when ordering as it appears you did, but I waited to buy anything while the insulator thing was being sorted out (following threads elsewhere in the forum) and assumed that since VSS is constantly talking about getting new shipments that I wouldn't have to worry about old product. This may still be the case - right now I'm still vaping on the pre-installed OCC and didn't give more than a cursory look at the RBA - will take a closer look at what I've got tonight.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone wondering about those peek insulators please see this :
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...ild-able-head-with-certain.45984/#post-306755

I had to email Kangertechus about it and eventually they put the "Not for Mini" on it.

Scroll about half way in to the thread to find pics
They also have the tan peeks for the mini but I just had a problem with bad taste using Cinnamon Roll.
http://www.mcssl.com/store/kangertechusllc/subtank-mini-insulator-upgraded-material
And it says will handle harsh juices. Not!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think half of the problem is, the vendors don't know, the subtanks are sealed with plastic, so not like they can open them up to find out and then sell them.
You are so right about that. Vendors are having a hell of a time right now. I just dealt with two vendors about this. One of them actually opened one out of every unit he purchased to make sure he didn't receive the old batch of white insulators. And like you said, they're really not supposed to do that. It tells me that even the vendors don't trust their distributors. We have a problem on our hands with Chinese manufacturing......hello!

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The insulators used on the first batch or two of full sized Subtanks were white. The manufacturing facility used the wrong material. Once Kanger caught this, they switched material and shipped the new insulators out to be replaced.

With the Full Size, there was no way of knowing without opening every box, so I shipped a pack of the new brown/tan insulators with every one. Just in case.

According to Cheung from Kanger, the minis have never used the white insulator. They've always used the "clear" version.

The newest version is the brown/tan ones. These are the ones they use in the full size Subtanks now. They switched the newest versions of the mini too. Not because there was an issue with the clear ones, but because it's cheaper from a manufacturing point to produce them all from the same material.

Anyone that has a "white" insulator in any of their products purchased from me, I will take care of the issue. Please feel free to contact me.

I would love it if anyone has a pic of the "white" insulator in the mini.

Edit to remove "nano".

Last edited:

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Side note, I have 50 minis coming in Monday evening. These will be shipped Tuesday AM.

They are for sale on the site now.

If you'd prefer, please leave a note in the "Notes/Comments" box when ordering, and I'll open the box to check which insulator (clear/brown/tan) is used.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The insulators used on the first batch or two of full sized Subtanks were white. The manufacturing facility used the wrong material. Once Kanger caught this, they switched material and shipped the new insulators out to be replaced.

With the Full Size, there was no way of knowing without opening every box, so I shipped a pack of the new brown/tan insulators with every one. Just in case.

According to Cheung from Kanger, the minis have never used the white insulator. They've always used the "clear" version.

The newest version is the brown/tan ones. These are the ones they use in the full size Subtanks now. They switched the newest versions of the mini too. Not because there was an issue with the clear ones, but because it's cheaper from a manufacturing point to produce them all from the same material.

Anyone that has a "white" insulator in any of their products purchased from me, I will take care of the issue. Please feel free to contact me.

Edit to remove "nano".

Stand up Vendor
tumblr_mn7sisYUi21sq9kw6o1_500_zpsd311b6d8.gif

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Are all these the newer version and will you also have the new version RBA heads with them and also for sale as a separate item?

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are all these the newer version and will you also have the new version RBA heads with them and also for sale as a separate item?

These are supposed to be the "newest" versions with the spare black set of rings, the wider juice channels, and the brown/tan insulator instead of the clear. I won't know for sure until I get them Monday evening, and open a few so that I can verify it personally.

The RBA heads will be available as a separate item, it's just a matter of finding some at this point. Kanger seems to be dragging their feet on these. I saw SV had them listed, but as "out of stock". As soon as these are available to me, I will be picking some up to offer as a standalone item.

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome Whiskey, thanks!
Exactly what I wanted to hear, going to pick one up for the Mrs... Hell at that price I'll probably get 2 lol. Just need VSS to get some dates so he can take my money

I should have 100 in towards the end of the week. I'll update as they're making their way towards me. I can hold one for you if you'd like. No more than $27.99 shipped.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@VapeSuperSaver I am also ready to send you my money. I am waiting for the word when you have the colored O-rings for sale separately, because i just want spare black ones, like 6 sets and when you get the new RBA heads in I will be buying three or four of those from you. I have the old ones and the channels are shallow .which I could fix myself but still haven't used them cause the factory coils are doing so good. I'm still on my first coil after two weeks. About to change it out though cause its started leaking. i think they do that once they get to a point. But there is a fix to the leaking and I will try it on the next coil. And I will be rebuilding the coil I am about to change out.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Edit to remove "nano".
I have been in close and frequent contact with Tom about this. My first mini w/clear peek has never given me a problem, although I don't believe I have ever put a tank cracker in it. I now have two more minis with tan peeks and had to remove the Cinnamon Roll juice. The taste was horrific. So now we have a problem on our hands with the new tan peeks.

Question: I'm curious to know why you ask for a pic of a mini with a white insulator if Cheung says there was no such thing.

I have to say that I've never seen so much confusion regarding one product. I suggested to another vendor that it would have been so much easier if Kanger marked their products for each consecutive version instead of using the same box for all of them. So confusing and misleading. A vendor should not be forced to open boxes in order to validate his/her order. Kanger is approaching the Hall of Shame for me, especially with these new tan peeks that ARE NOT holding up to harsh juices as they said they would.

And, thank you VSS, for being present here with us, trying to work this thing out.

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@VapeSuperSaver I am also ready to send you my money. I am waiting for the word when you have the colored O-rings for sale separately, because i just want spare black ones, like 6 sets and when you get the new RBA heads in I will be buying three or four of those from you. I have the old ones and the channels are shallow .which I could fix myself but still haven't used them cause the factory coils are doing so good. I'm still on my first coil after two weeks. About to change it out though cause its started leaking. i think they do that once they get to a point. But there is a fix to the leaking and I will try it on the next coil. And I will be rebuilding the coil I am about to change out.

Kanger is supposed to be shipping out more sets of the colored rings around the middle of the month. No idea on the "new" mini RBAs yet though. Hopefully around the same time, but it's hard to tell. I'd like to believe they'll be shipping soon though. I'll definitely update here though as more info becomes available.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@VapeSuperSaver I just remembered the pBusardo vid comparing the two minis. He said that the first one tasted like monkey ass and the second one with the clear peek tasted great. So what did the first one have if not the white insulator? Lord, this goes on and on........:confused:

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
muth said:
BTW, the Subtank Mini I received from VSS had the old, white insulators installed.

muth said:
Question: I'm curious to know why you ask for a pic of a mini with a white insulator if Cheung says there was no such thing.

Since you said you received one with a "white" insulator, I'd like to present Cheung with a pic to see what he has to say about the issue.

muth said:
And, thank you VSS, for being present here with us, trying to work this thing out.

Anytime at all. If there is an issue, I want to know, and I want to take all steps at my disposal to make sure the situation is rectified. If there are "white" insulators in the Minis, then Kanger needs to step up like they did when the problem was first discovered in the Full Sized Subtanks.

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@VapeSuperSaver I just remembered the pBusardo vid comparing the two minis. He said that the first one tasted like monkey ass and the second one with the clear peek tasted great. So what did the first one have if not the white insulator? Lord, this goes on and on........:confused:

According to Cheung at Kanger, the Mini has only ever used either the "clear", or the "tan/brown", both of which are supposed to be PEEK material.

I don't know what or why Phil tasted monkey ass. Any attempts to explain what he tasted would be pure speculation on my part.

They started using the "clear" for the Minis. They've since switched it over to the "tan/brown" for unknown reasons. I suspect that it's easier/cheaper to manufacture all insulators with the same material as opposed to using "clear" for the Mini/Nano and the "tan/brown" for the Full Size.

Edit*

muth said:
I suggested to another vendor that it would have been so much easier if Kanger marked their products for each consecutive version instead of using the same box for all of them.

1000% agree. Kanger just adds to the confusion.

Last edited:

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can purchase the colored o-rings from KangerTechusa now, if you like. You have a choice of purchasing one color only, if you like, as well. But, if you don't mind waiting, it would be nice to give VSS the business. They have been very helpful coming here to sort things out:)

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll wait and order the O rings from VSS :) I need all the colors so I don't have to make a decision on which color to order!
You funny:DThe black looks nice especially on anything w/black(tee hee duh)Don't listen to me, I'm a doh doh bird:rolleyes:But the other colors help for identification if you have different flavors. Kanger website offers the multi-color pak and the single color paks. But, like I said above, it would be nice to give VSS the business:)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You funny:DThe black looks nice especially on anything w/black(tee hee duh)Don't listen to me, I'm a doh doh bird:rolleyes:But the other colors help for identification if you have different flavors. Kanger website offers the multi-color pak and the single color paks. But, like I said above, it would be nice to give VSS the business:)

I've ended up with 3 minis - but I only bought two LOL (One place I ordered from sent me a second, because the RBA wasn't wicking). So even though I have different drip tips on them, I can never seem to remember which is which! I have one wicked at 1.2 or so that I use on my old Istick, and it's annoying trying to remember which one goes where!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Side note, I have 50 minis coming in Monday evening. These will be shipped Tuesday AM.

They are for sale on the site now.

If you'd prefer, please leave a note in the "Notes/Comments" box when ordering, and I'll open the box to check which insulator (clear/brown/tan) is used.
Are you saying there is also a brown one, too? Oh dear, what shall I do?

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've ended up with 3 minis - but I only bought two LOL (One place I ordered from sent me a second, because the RBA wasn't wicking). So even though I have different drip tips on them, I can never seem to remember which is which! I have one wicked at 1.2 or so that I use on my old Istick, and it's annoying trying to remember which one goes where!
Hee hee, what kind of insulators are on yours?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hee hee, what kind of insulators are on yours?

For sure two are clear. I thought the replacement that I just received was white, but I'm going to have to open that mini up - sounds like my eyes were funny when I looked at it LOL

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For sure two are clear. I thought the replacement that I just received was white, but I'm going to have to open that mini up - sounds like my eyes were funny when I looked at it LOL
I know what you mean. The insulator pics on google look so much darker than the 'tan' one that I saw. I would have called that one 'off' white but my friend, who owns that one said it was the new tan peek. It's confusing especially since some people call it brown, unless there is a brown one, too!

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you saying there is also a brown one, too? Oh dear, what shall I do?

There are 3 variations. The original for the Full Size, which was "white". These are (supposed to be) obsolete now. According to Kanger, these were the result of the manufacturer/factory using the wrong material. Once they were aware of the situation, they sent replacements.

For the Mini and the Nano, they used the second variation which is "clear". These are supposed to be PEEK. There was some debate whether or not they are actually PEEK, but there have been very, very, few problems (Pluid) reported with these.

The third variation, is the "brown/tan/beige" insulators. These were the replacements for the "bad white" ones in the Full Size, and also are what is now being used in the Minis and Nanos. The color isn't exactly uniform on all of these. Some are a little darker, some are a little lighter. With pics, the flash plays a role in making them appear lighter than they actually are.

The switch from the second (clear) version, to the third (brown/tan/beige) version, is due to cost and being easier to manufacture them all from the same material as far as I can ascertain.

The "clear" and the "brown/tan/beige/any color similar to those" are fine to use and I am not sure if one is better than the other or not.

GFrost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I should have 100 in towards the end of the week. I'll update as they're making their way towards me. I can hold one for you if you'd like. No more than $27.99 shipped.

If you could, can you put 2 aside for me please? Also, do you have a date on the subtank plus yet?

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you could, can you put 2 aside for me please? Also, do you have a date on the subtank plus yet?

I can put two aside for you, no problem. No date on the ST Plus yet, but it shouldn't be too long before they're shipping them out.

Prsurf2k

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@muth and @VapeSuperSaver I am not in so much of a hurry atm to order the o-rings from the kanger site, plus they only have red. I have the replacement o-rings that come with it. So I'm good for a while and can wait till you have them in and the rba also.

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@muth and @VapeSuperSaver I am not in so much of a hurry atm to order the o-rings from the kanger site, plus they only have red. I have the replacement o-rings that come with it. So I'm good for a while and can wait till you have them in and the rba also.

I've got the o-ring kits on order, so they should be in in the next week or two. The RBAs I will put in an order as soon as I can. Those are hard to find atm. Sooner the better though, so I'm working on it.

GFrost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can put two aside for you, no problem. No date on the ST Plus yet, but it shouldn't be too long before they're shipping them out.
Awesome!! So how does that work? Go through the forum here or through your site?

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome!! So how does that work? Go through the forum here or through your site?

I'll hold them for you when they come in. If they're on the site, just order them and send me a message here so I can put those two back in stock.

If they're out of stock on the site, send me a message and we'll work out a way for you to get them. I don't anticipate the 100 selling too quick, but I'll hold you two just in case.

VapeSuperSaver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry for the bump, but I forgot to mention that if any one is a fan of Suicide Bunny, Kings Crown, or another one that I only have for a limited time, there may be a few items of interest under the "e-liquid" tab.

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been waiting to see what your going to do with the Kbox and the price that was going to serrle at.

VU Sponsors