Become a Patron!

Vape shops price gouging?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've read it. But i see it as part of the game they are playing. They are waging a psychological war we are fighting a factual war. Make no mistake they want to tax the piss out of us.

But 1st they wanna get the general public on their side. People that don't care either way to care. they are slowly making us a public enemy

Scaring everyone that were vaping chemicals andl is just another way to get everyone else to want us out of existence.

Then they can say okay now they can keep it but were gonna text it. So then everyones OK with the taxes and were OK, with at least they are not going to take it.

We're our own worse enemy it seems. Sheep being engineered to think that the worse case scenario may happen, to get us to comply with the original plan

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We're our own worse enemy it seems. Sheep being engineered to think that the worse case scenario may happen, to get us to comply with the original plan
That's my theory and why I originally posted what I see as possible compromise. I don't want regs but if im gonna get fucked at least lube me up first.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hence the very root of the problem right there. Had they let the shut hit the fan and let everyone feel the pain nd rise from the ashes we would be in a very different state of affairs.
Printing money and devaluing the currency causes more problems later on down the road. You can't keep in kicking the can for the next generation.
We live in a mostly liberal country this day and age, wich sounds good to most but when it comes down to it the people are supposed to support the government not the government support the people. As long as we are supported by the government we play on their field with their rules.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hence the very root of the problem right there. Had they let the shut hit the fan and let everyone feel the pain nd rise from the ashes we would be in a very different state of affairs.
Printing money and devaluing the currency causes more problems later on down the road. You can't keep in kicking the can for the next generation.
Well we do the same thing with war. Go to war to make a quick buck. in turn create 3 more wars piss the whole world off and have no choice but to keep going to war to keep up with the money needed to fund the other 2 wars we created. Never ending wars and they never will end until everthing is dead or we are dead. Sad but true.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We live in a mostly liberal country this day and age, wich sounds good to most but when it comes down to it the people are supposed to support the government not the government support the people. As long as we are supported by the government we play on their field with their rules.

Well that doesn't mean I have to like it. That does mean my fat ass is gonna stay in the south where it's ok for me to cling to my bible and gun; hunt and fish for food and throw my middle finger up to uncle Sam for as long as the first amendment remains a reality.
Truth be told at some point this unsustainable system they've created is gonna go bust though. Just hope im dead and gone when it does

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that doesn't mean I have to like it. That does mean my fat ass is gonna stay in the south where it's ok for me to cling to my bible and gun; hunt and fish for food and throw my middle finger up to uncle Sam for as long as the first amendment remains a reality.
Truth be told at some point this unsustainable system they've created is gonna go bust though. Just hope im dead and gone when it does
Oh hell no, never said anyone should like it at all its a shame. I'm saying it's "we the peoples" job to maintain the government and we have done a poor job at that so it's no one's fault but our own. First we should have stopped government owned media. That's our number one downfall. You own the media you own the peoples minds. Second Nixon removing the silver certificate and turning our economy into a fiat currency any educated person would have recalled what happened to Rome and a fiat currency.

”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.”

”He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.”
-Ben Franklin

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh hell no, never said anyone should like it at all its a shame. I'm saying it's "we the peoples" job to maintain the government and we have done a poor job at that so it's no one's fault but our own. First we should have stopped government owned media. That's our number one downfall. You own the media you own the peoples minds. Second Nixon removing the silver certificate and turning our economy into a fiat currency any educated person would have recalled what happened to Rome and a fiat currency.

”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.”

”He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.”
-Ben Franklin

One of my favorite quotes right there- franklin
As for war, the solution is simple.
Grow a spine and follow the old cannon of war
Take over a land and seize it's resources. The war is not the large issue, the nation building is.
If we didn't stick around and try and turn them into something they are not then we wouldn't have it ongoing indefinitely.

Last edited:

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One of my favorite quotes right there- franklin
As for war, the solution is simple.
Grow a spine and follow the old cannon of warm
Take over a land and seize it's resources. The way is not the large issue, the nation building is.
If we didn't stick around and try and turn them into something they are not then we wouldn't have it ongoing indefinitely.
Yeah that's a great quote I belive that should be taught to every American student at a young age.
I agree on the war tactic 100%, but unfortunately if you look at the big picture that's not what we are trying to achieve we are trying for a one world government not a world of free nations.
The way you enslave nations is by debt, it's been proven time and time again.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The only pe

Want to see what real pain looks like? Look north as the CA financial and real estate moguls rape a country, then watch it collapse. It's going to make the 2008 bubble burst look like a sunny day.

They keep saying there is no housing bubble. While the previous owner of this house, just took 30% less than the original price.

Pop goes the weasel

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was an RYO guy for a while, but the novelty wore off and I wasn't willing to put in a half-hour every night to manufacture enough smokes to get me through the next day once I stopped smoking the green and dedicated my nights to working side jobs that paid money rather than mindless manual labor tasks. But with DIY I can crank out 2 weeks' worth of liquid for me and my wife in the time I'd spend on RYO just for me for a single day. Big difference.

It is easier/cheaper to increase DIY production than RYO. Buy a bigger syringe vs buy a new fancy machine.
I was just about to buy the fancy stuffing machine but couldn't justify the price, especially after the tax.

I'm closing in on 2 years without having bought anything but DIY. But clouds or cutting my nicotine hasn't increased my usage.

30ml a day people such as myself would spend around 120 bucks a week at a vape shop on juice. Or 30 mins a month to diy and less then 7 bucks a week. Kinda easy choice Imo.

One thing the internet has taught me is there are a lot of people with more money than sense.
An easy non-DIY way to cut expenses for high volume use is to buy VG. Drip some premium, drip VG until all flavor is gone. Judging from what I saw at the now gone vape shop that should cut the premium use by at least 2/3's.

And some people simply can't DIY a good flavor to save their life (or money).

Just hope im dead and gone when it does

I've said that many times. Glad I'm older rather than younger.

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had no problem transitioning to RYO once taxes hit a certain point. Seriously, I got a $50 machine, some trial and error mixing tobacco and finding the right filter tubes and I was SET. It was bad for me because it was so easy and cheap to "roll" good smokes for a fraction of the price of "off the shelf" packs I ended up smoking MORE and supplying friends and family.

Took the same attitude with me when I started vaping. It only took me a year or so to figure out I could make my own juice and do it better for FAR less. Take your $1/mL juice and stuff it ;-) I can make better.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is easier/cheaper to increase DIY production than RYO. Buy a bigger syringe vs buy a new fancy machine.
I was just about to buy the fancy stuffing machine but couldn't justify the price, especially after the tax.

I'm closing in on 2 years without having bought anything but DIY. But
One thing the internet has taught me is there are a lot of people with more money than sense.
An easy non-DIY way to cut expenses for high volume use is to buy VG. Drip some premium, drip VG until all flavor is gone. Judging from what I saw at the now gone vape shop that should cut the premium use by at least 2/3's.

And some people simply can't DIY a good flavor to save their life (or money).

I've said that many times. Glad I'm older rather than younger.

This pretty much says it all :D

The biggest complaint I've noticed? People being sold a bill of goods about how much money they would save. Only to find out, they're spending the same or more, than they did when they smoked. No one said IF you DIY you save. They implied they would save tons of money just making the switch.

But they won't save any money listening to snake oil salesmen. SubOhm this, buy 500 watt that, this is the BEST juice made. Nope, not at all.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This pretty much says it all :D

The biggest complaint I've noticed? People being sold a bill of goods about how much money they would save. Only to find out, they're spending the same or more, than they did when they smoked. No one said IF you DIY you save. They implied they would save tons of money just making the switch.

But they won't save any money listening to snake oil salesmen. SubOhm this, buy 500 watt that, this is the BEST juice made. Nope, not at all.

My RYO friend probably can't save, or better put, he can't save fast enough to afford to start.
I was spending a month's worth of generics at a time to get set up, then get a stock of liquid, then get backups. After 6 months to a year I was able to upgrade carefully and had enough stock of liquid so risking $200 on DIY was a fairly easy decision. If DIY totally didn't work I woudn't have to go in the hole trying to break even again and odds were I'd come up with something out of the $200 so it wouldn't be a complete loss and would probably at least produce $200 worth of vapable liquid.

Now after 2 years of DIY it's a no brainer. If I can afford it I'm still way ahead of the game getting whatever mod I want.
But I never got burned on an ecig/mod until I was way ahead of the game and they weren't costly burns.

My nephew got burned with Blu. That's a hard thing for poor people to dig out of. (I have tried setting him up, but free stuff gave him no incentive to try. Stupid because he did try and made Blu work while it worked.)
If you keep getting burned with junk and high prices or your smoking costs were low it can be hard to save, even without the "new shiny" hitting.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My RYO friend probably can't save, or better put, he can't save fast enough to afford to start.
I was spending a month's worth of generics at a time to get set up, then get a stock of liquid, then get backups. After 6 months to a year I was able to upgrade carefully and had enough stock of liquid so risking $200 on DIY was a fairly easy decision. If DIY totally didn't work I woudn't have to go in the hole trying to break even again and odds were I'd come up with something out of the $200 so it wouldn't be a complete loss and would probably at least produce $200 worth of vapable liquid.

Now after 2 years of DIY it's a no brainer. If I can afford it I'm still way ahead of the game getting whatever mod I want.
But I never got burned on an ecig/mod until I was way ahead of the game and they weren't costly burns.

My nephew got burned with Blu. That's a hard thing for poor people to dig out of. (I have tried setting him up, but free stuff gave him no incentive to try. Stupid because he did try and made Blu work while it worked.)
If you keep getting burned with junk and high prices or your smoking costs were low it can be hard to save, even without the "new shiny" hitting.
I started to DIY for under 50$. Heartland vapes had a liter of non flavored mix for 28$ then I bought a handful of tfa flavor. I figured that was an affordable way to wet my feet and see if I would like it.
Just thought for your friend.

Reactions: Myk

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Too many people look at DIY startup cost, and go whoooo!

I calculated 2 months of smokes should be the minimum for me to throw at it, if I was serious. I spent way less.

While others still spend as much as much on juice, as they did smoking. Logical fails too many people

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Too many people look at DIY startup cost, and go whoooo!

I calculated 2 months of smokes should be the minimum for me to throw at it, if I was serious. I spent way less.

While others still spend as much as much on juice, as they did smoking. Logical fails too many people
I don't see DIY startup cost a barrier. I started with a 25 cent syringe from CVS, a few flavors at about $1.50, Nic, some VG, and some PG. The startup cost for me was slightly more than a bottle of premium juice, and made at least 5 times the juice that I could have purchased with the same money. I do strongly agree, that it is easy in this hobby to exceed what you were spending on cigarettes. 75+ watt MOD, and buying premium juice, your probably spending $30-$40 a week. That's why I think that DIY will be the fastest growing portion of the industry this year.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started to DIY for under 50$. Heartland vapes had a liter of non flavored mix for 28$ then I bought a handful of tfa flavor. I figured that was an affordable way to wet my feet and see if I would like it.
Just thought for your friend.

That friend? Probably not a good idea to have high mg nicotine around his kids. They would see a news story about kids drinking it for a buzz and try it.
My nephew is likewise, except instead of kids that don't listen he'd be likely to be the one making a bad mistake.
If either of them could I'd be willing to give them enough nicotine to get started. I needed nicotine for medical before the start of October so I was stocking up. Since October things have changed and now I'm free to cut it completely if I want. Even if I stay at 4mg (was at 18mg) I have around 28 years worth :D
I plan on going to 0mg if the taste is right.
I don't really know anyone to sell it to, at least not while it's legal.

I started with enough to last about 3-5 years, it was a math error :) But my liquid was about 5¢/ml @ 18mg.
I wouldn't suggest anyone start out with $200 DIY. My eyes got bigger than my lungs with that one.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That friend? Probably not a good idea to have high mg nicotine around his kids. They would see a news story about kids drinking it for a buzz and try it.
My nephew is likewise, except instead of kids that don't listen he'd be likely to be the one making a bad mistake.
If either of them could I'd be willing to give them enough nicotine to get started. I needed nicotine for medical before the start of October so I was stocking up. Since October things have changed and now I'm free to cut it completely if I want. Even if I stay at 4mg (was at 18mg) I have around 28 years worth :D
I plan on going to 0mg if the taste is right.
I don't really know anyone to sell it to, at least not while it's legal.

I started with enough to last about 3-5 years, it was a math error :) But my liquid was about 5¢/ml @ 18mg.
I wouldn't suggest anyone start out with $200 DIY. My eyes got bigger than my lungs with that one.
its premixed, so youre getting a liter of 18mg 12mg, 6mg, or 3 mg in whatever ratio vg/pg you want
http://wholesale.heartlandvapes.com/nicotine-solution.html

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Those drums are a nightmare to move. -just sayin

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Getting it back out of the freezer might be a problem.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Getting it back out of the freezer might be a problem.
Hahaha it has to get into the house then into the freezer first.
Of course, you'll need a walk in.

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm starting to see Vape stores popping Up all over and last night at the jersey boardwalk there was quite a bit of vapors VS last summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoctorJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Several vape shops have popped up around my area over the last year, which seems like it should be a good thing. Unfortunately every single one that I've been to has prices on everything that are on average double what I can find online from reputable vendors. I can see paying maybe 10% more at a B&M shop, but not 100% more. Is it like this everywhere? Are these shops price gouging, trying to make as much $ as they can ahead of regulation that might put them out of business?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As a few have mentioned, B&M's have the overhead costs, but I agree they charge WAY too much. We have two small shops near where I live and quit going to them. Most of the clientele are 18-25 year old cloud chasers that only use mech mods. Nothing wrong with that, but every time I go to either, the owners try to get me to buy a mech mod. Sorry but first of all I don't trust those things, secondly I'm not very interested in building coils. I have arthritis and I also had a stroke 9 years ago, so my hands aren't as steady as they once were. Plus at my age it's all about convenience, I don't mind paying for replacement coils that I simply have to replace.

When I did go to the local B&M's, I would throw them a bone and buy a bottle of juice now and again, but I just felt so out of place hanging around people half my age (or more).

Several vape shops have popped up around my area over the last year, which seems like it should be a good thing. Unfortunately every single one that I've been to has prices on everything that are on average double what I can find online from reputable vendors. I can see paying maybe 10% more at a B&M shop, but not 100% more. Is it like this everywhere? Are these shops price gouging, trying to make as much $ as they can ahead of regulation that might put them out of business?

That is EXACTLY what is going on...there used to be this saying you would hear ALL the time..."Yeah man,support your LVS (local vape shops) shop at small businesses and blah blah blah",..I recently was able to discover the "VAST HIDDEN WORLD" of WHOLESALE>..a word you really do not HEAR at ALL in ANY vape shops that I have been to...I was BEYOND disgusted when I found what was happening.And you can only hide behind the wall of "Well,we have overhead and light bills and employees to pay so...that is why"...bullshit...every time I come in there are 5 KIDS sitting around wit h like 6 or 7 FULL brand new bottles THAT particular shop just got and they are TEARING the E juice up.What a Ka-winkee-dink that all of their friends ,family and most of all THEY get these SUPER deals.Every time you see them they have FIVE brand new sold in shop atty's as well.It's a rip-off.I will NEVER pay retail again.You are giving them their money back and they are making 100%!!! profit off of us (more in a lot of places,not everywhere but a LOT of places) THEN they still charge you TAX on TOP of that!!!-I have been vaping for 48 days man.I have friends that have been doing it since day ONE.They all agree with me.I am already dripping,mixing ,spinning coils and I run a new version of the RX200s with a BOREAS RTA with a dual fused clapton coming in at .22 ohms that I made myself...I am learning FAST ....there are only a very few that have helped me with that.All these other guys care about is MONEY.-GREAT POINT YOU MADE MAN!!!!-It is up to US to look out for each other so the snakes are not usign us to sell their overstocked crap an so WE TOO...get the best juice and enjoyment that they do.Nuff' said man.YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a few have mentioned, B&M's have the overhead costs, but I agree they charge WAY too much. We have two small shops near where I live and quit going to them. Most of the clientele are 18-25 year old cloud chasers that only use mech mods. Nothing wrong with that, but every time I go to either, the owners try to get me to buy a mech mod. Sorry but first of all I don't trust those things, secondly I'm not very interested in building coils. I have arthritis and I also had a stroke 9 years ago, so my hands aren't as steady as they once were. Plus at my age it's all about convenience, I don't mind paying for replacement coils that I simply have to replace.

When I did go to the local B&M's, I would throw them a bone and buy a bottle of juice now and again, but I just felt so out of place hanging around people half my age (or more).
That's a shame. Obviously certain businesses will attract a 'type' of crowd although a good business should do their best to be accommodating and try to make everyone feel welcome.

I have a feeling many of the smaller b&m's are simply buying small quantities of things retail from cheap online options then marking them up. Unless they're a really busy vape shop or something there's no real need for them to have 100's of bottles of ejuice all the same flavor from the same vendor or enough of each mod to really get a wholesale price on them.

Some shops are fairly slow I take it. A friend of mine went into their local vape shop, found a bottle of mbv's juice the same flavor as I'd ordered. She spent way more than I did, over 50% more and then she showed me a pic of it. I asked her why is yours so dark in color? She read me the born on date and it was around a year old. No telling since I haven't had any juices for a year to compare to but likely explained why it was so dark in color. Not sure if they kept it cool, in a dark area or at any time had let it sit in the sunlight for an extended period in all that time. On the bright side I'm guessing it was steeped lol.

Waltheraustin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yea, I buy to support local shops. Usually a small bottle a week to try a new flavor but too expensive

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The B/M that sold me my first starter kit 2+ years ago (Joyetech Ego-T kit, $80.00) is going out of business this weekend. They marked up everything 3-5 times. I bought stuff from them time to time, but they were overcharging for sure. Well, It felt pretty good to walk away with a brand new Provari P3 for a hundred bucks yesterday during the inventory liquidation sale. I do feel bad about a couple of the employees who lost their jobs, but karma seemed to be ever present in this situation...

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
B&Ms have a hell of a lot of overhead and I believe in supporting the local mom & pop shops when I can. But, when I can buy a mod online for 1/2 the price the local B&M wants, guess where I'm buying it?

Waltheraustin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, I didn't know and bought my first at a local shop and then looked online after where I could have paid exactly 1/2

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most vape shops I've been in the owner said this was his-her first business. Evidently they didn't take business 101 prior to deciding to open a vape shop. Although there is more overhead involved, they cannot expect to be able to charge 50-100% markup based on online shopping and stay in business. It just doesn't work that way.

Most vape shops depend on juice sales, where we all know the markup can exceed +500% compared to DIY juice.

It's really a shame most small vape businesses just don't have a clue what they're doing.

VU Sponsors