Become a Patron!

Vape shops price gouging?

Al Day Vape

Member For 4 Years
Several vape shops have popped up around my area over the last year, which seems like it should be a good thing. Unfortunately every single one that I've been to has prices on everything that are on average double what I can find online from reputable vendors. I can see paying maybe 10% more at a B&M shop, but not 100% more. Is it like this everywhere? Are these shops price gouging, trying to make as much $ as they can ahead of regulation that might put them out of business?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Several vape shops have popped up around my area over the last year, which seems like it should be a good thing. Unfortunately every single one that I've been to has prices on everything that are on average double what I can find online from reputable vendors. I can see paying maybe 10% more at a B&M shop, but not 100% more. Is it like this everywhere? Are these shops price gouging, trying to make as much $ as they can ahead of regulation that might put them out of business?

My local shop has doubled in size since I started buying juice there 3yrs ago..
Mod prices are a little higher than online but not much more than maybe 15% or so.. catering to the sub ohm crowd, they stay really busy, plus have their own juice custom mixed on the spot for waiting customers....not bad for a shop here in SoCa

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Al Day Vape

Member For 4 Years
Mod prices are a little higher than online but not much more than maybe 15% or so.. catering to the sub ohm crowd, they stay really busy, plus have their own juice custom mixed on the spot for waiting customers....not bad for a shop here in SoCa

That's awesome. The big shop in my town still sells the evic vt starter kit for $124.95. Freaking ridiculous!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All of em are like that, they have to pay rent/lease water electric,gas, employees...
Online is the way to go

VAPE ON

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Good to hear this we do have a few good ones here/.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VAPOR DNA is legit, online prices matches the store prices

VAPE ON

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The LVS' and smoke shops will sell at what the market will bear. Can't blame them for that.

I shop at three different places, around town: A LVS that also makes e-liquid and sells DIY stuff, a chain that owns several tobacco/vape/whatever shops and a small one-off mom-and-pop that got me started. Sometimes their prices are high. Sometimes very high. Sometimes not so much. For example: Over the last week or so I've picked up three clone RDAs, one at each of them, in fact, for about what they would have cost me on-line. The small M&P even took back the first one he sold me (didn't fit right on my mod) and did a build for me on the exchange right then and there. Get that from an Internet retailer.

Yes: Most of what I've purchased has been on-line. Partially for the prices and partially for the selection. (Two of the tanks I've purchased nobody around here even carried.) And the on-line vendors with which I've dealt have been fantastic. But I give the local stores any business I can. I can put my hands on the products in the local stores. If something's wrong I can get it set right immediately. They pay local people & taxes. I can kibitz with the people in the local stores. Get advice and selection help from them.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LIstening to you all talk..it is becoming evident to me, that vaping is alot more accepted outside my home turf of northeren Ca. I think here we live in dread and certainty that the Socail justice warriors are going to shut us down at any moment through punitive regulations and so our bussinessmen are leary of investing too much money in their bussinesses...but I would luuuuuv it if there was a shop were I could go down and purchase DIY supplies. that had a wide selection of rebuildable supplies.....

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
LIstening to you all talk..it is becoming evident to me, that vaping is alot more accepted outside my home turf of northeren Ca. I think here we live in dread and certainty that the Socail justice warriors are going to shut us down at any moment through punitive regulations and so our bussinessmen are leary of investing too much money in their bussinesses...but I would luuuuuv it if there was a shop were I could go down and purchase DIY supplies. that had a wide selection of rebuildable supplies.....
We actually have a shop here that you can get anything you want the others are just about mods and juice.

tony09

Member For 4 Years
I still buy stuff from the good (many have aholes working for them) B&M's, just because I appreciate them and want them to stay in business. I like sampling flavors. I order on line too lol. The shops charge $1.50 for a foot of Kanthal!! Forget that..

HRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They have to eat to. lolz
But seriously there is a few in my area that have decent prices on some items and high on others.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still buy stuff from the good (many have aholes working for them) B&M's, just because I appreciate them and want them to stay in business. I like sampling flavors. I order on line too lol. The shops charge $1.50 for a foot of Kanthal!! Forget that..
it's a crapshoot some B&M have absolute trogs working in them and some of them have some really sharp really cool kids working in them...

skoony

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here in Minnesota B&M prices are dropping more because there are so many of them. Having said
that for one to think a 10% mark up from internet pricing is good enough doesn't understand the
costs of local retailing.Store front locations are 10 x or more for rent than typical warehouse costs.
In a busy strip mall in a good location rent cost skyrockets proportionally. Local B&M's typically do
not order in lots of hundreds or more. This raises costs per unit. Local B&M's typically do not order
all their merchandise online. They buy from traveling distributors for the same reasons some of us
would use a B&M. They want to see what they are getting for their money. The additional licensing
and advertising restrictions that come with a storefront also contribute to costs.
I personally think a 50% margin is not out of the question. Anything higher just reflects what the
local market will bare. I do not understand why so many take it personally that B&M prices
are higher than the internet. Everything is cheaper on the internet. There are good reasons
for this. It's not all about ripping you off. It never has been. I am not saying that there are not a few
shops taking advantage of their customers but, most owners are aware of the internet. Most
are just trying to meet costs and have enough left to make a living. If you still are concerned
about the cost difference open your own shop and cart all those wheelbarrows of money you
are going to make right to the bank..
Regards
Mike

Al Day Vape

Member For 4 Years
Here in Minnesota B&M prices are dropping more because there are so many of them. Having said
that for one to think a 10% mark up from internet pricing is good enough doesn't understand the
costs of local retailing.Store front locations are 10 x or more for rent than typical warehouse costs.
In a busy strip mall in a good location rent cost skyrockets proportionally. Local B&M's typically do
not order in lots of hundreds or more. This raises costs per unit. Local B&M's typically do not order
all their merchandise online. They buy from traveling distributors for the same reasons some of us
would use a B&M. They want to see what they are getting for their money. The additional licensing
and advertising restrictions that come with a storefront also contribute to costs.
I personally think a 50% margin is not out of the question. Anything higher just reflects what the
local market will bare. I do not understand why so many take it personally that B&M prices
are higher than the internet. Everything is cheaper on the internet. There are good reasons
for this. It's not all about ripping you off. It never has been. I am not saying that there are not a few
shops taking advantage of their customers but, most owners are aware of the internet. Most
are just trying to meet costs and have enough left to make a living. If you still are concerned
about the cost difference open your own shop and cart all those wheelbarrows of money you
are going to make right to the bank..
Regards
Mike
I'm not taking it personally, I'm actually bummed that in order to support my own local vaping economy I'd have to fork out twice as much cash as I would just continuing to shop online. I like the idea of shopping local. But I also have a tight budget as it is, and can't knowingly pay double for something that isn't a need to begin with.

And 10% was just a number off the top of my head. I'm not an economist, but I also don't think the normal price drop for online shopping is 50% for any product, and certainly not 100%.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not taking it personally, I'm actually bummed that in order to support my own local vaping economy I'd have to fork out twice as much cash as I would just continuing to shop online. I like the idea of shopping local. But I also have a tight budget as it is, and can't knowingly pay double for something that isn't a need to begin with.

And 10% was just a number off the top of my head. I'm not an economist, but I also don't think the normal price drop for online shopping is 50% for any product, and certainly not 100%.

I never worked retail, but my wife did and she says markups like this aren't all that uncommon in retail.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In the city where I live in Canada there are quite a few vape shops. The online seller I have bought from in the past, has gone down hill fast

The shop I frequent the most, is fantastic. I recently bought a RX200 there for $60 only $10 more than than online, my TFV4 and Goliath V2 were 10, and 8 dollars more respectivly. They are not going broke, they just opened up a second location a month ago. There is at least one other shop here, that has similar pricing. As well, I noticed last week, that the corner store I used to buy smokes at, sells the TFV4 for $40.

Considering I have had problems with some gear, and had it replaced over the counter no questions asked, I have no problem paying a little more, for that kind of service, and the ability to try a device before I buy it.

There have been several devices I was intending to purchase, that after trying, I decided not to, and that saving nicely offsets the extra minimal cost I might pay fot the items that are more at the store.

They also allow free sampeling of juice, and have a reward plan for full price juice, and have a clearance section, where you an get 30ml juie for $5.

Chatting with other vapers in this country and others, I realize that the situation in my city may not be the norm, and I feel lucky that the situation here is like it is.

There are other stores here with rapey prices, a country wide chain, where I used to shop occasionally, comes to mind and they still do a brisk business from what I have seen selling primairly beginner starter kits at less than bargin prices, I expect that is the reason they have little in the line of advanced vaping devices. Oh well, if it gets more people off the stinkys, more power to them.

Last edited:

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Long island is ridiculous too. I haven't been to a b&m for a long time after I gave up. Last time I was in one, I was in the market for an Ipv 4. The shops were charging $120. I found an Ipv 4s on ecig.com for $42 with a coupon. That's 3 times the price for an inferior model.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
are going to make right to the bank...
Regards
Mike
I have a buddy who owns 5 vape stores He charges 15%-20% above internet prices, that makes him break even. He buys huge wholesale lots and then distributes them to vape shops in 3 states. He is in it for vaping, and profit which I will never fault him for. That's where he makes his money....

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think as well, with vaping on the increase in general, there will be a trend toward prices coming down locally. Look at the last 3 months alone.

I wrote in another thread, that if only a year ago, anybody had suggested that I'd be vaping on a 3 18650 3000mah per batt, 200 watt mod that did TC on stainless, and cost $60 I'd have been slightly sceptical.

The value of anything is precisely wat somebody is willing to pay for it. Rapey priced shops won't be around for too long I predict.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I never worked retail, but my wife did and she says markups like this aren't all that uncommon in retail.
She's absolutely right. I have been working in retail off and on for over 30 years, and "key stoning" (100% markup) is very common, especially in smaller retail businesses. If you really want to see markups, look into the jewelry business! :eek:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She's absolutely right. I have been working in retail off and on for over 30 years, and "key stoning" (100% markup) is very common, especially in smaller retail businesses. If you really want to see markups, look into the jewelry business! :eek:
or women's fashion....

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
or women's fashion....
Yeah, the markup for clothing is absurd! Everyone knows that 99% of all clothing is produced by workers who get paid way below what minimum wage is here in the states, and the prices are just as high as they were when they were actually made in the USA.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the markup for clothing is absurd! Everyone knows that 99% of all clothing is produced by workers who get paid way below what minimum wage is here in the states, and the prices are just as high as they were when they were actually made in the USA.
My Gramps had a view that if your underwear, socks, and boots weren't made in America, then there was a big problem afoot. A salt of the earth farmer who came to the USA via Ellis Island had future wisdom that is ignored.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a buddy who owns 5 vape stores He charges 15%-20% above internet prices, that makes him break even. He buys huge wholesale lots and then distributes them to vape shops in 3 states. He is in it for vaping, and profit which I will never fault him for. That's where he makes his money....
See, but that's a reasonable markup for the service provided. With B&M stores, you get advice on what to buy, you can examine the products and often even try them out, and if something goes wrong or you can't figure out how to troubleshoot something, you don't have to play email-tag to have it rectified... ...you just take it down to the shop. There's also the atmosphere and sense of community that you can't get from an online vendor. B&M's are a great place to meet fellow vapers and stay in the loop with products and events.

All of that justifies some markup. You're paying for an experience and punctual service. 15-20 percent actually isn't bad compared to the markup that's common practice in other storefront markets.

I will always support my local B&M simply because they represent the local vaping community and help new vapers find their way. I get why some people think they are overpriced... ...there are a lot of things I would never buy from a B&M. But in order for them to succeed and be able to offer us their products and services at a better price, they will need our support in getting established.

And yeah, retail markup is bad. There are toys at walmart that cost less than a dollar to make and sell for $20 or more. I myself work in retail. I've worked as a freight manager in a few different types of stores, so it has been my job to know both the the profit value and the actual cost per unit and I can tell you that there are no exceptions - they all sell at a criminally-high margin.

Even the company I work for now, Dollar Tree, is marking up their shoddily manufactured sweatshop products at a ridiculously high margin. Sure, everything is a dollar-six, but most of the things in there cost us around 10 cents per unit.

And overhead isn't the reason for that. It's about budgets and goals. Most retail stores shoot to be in the green, not the black. These big corporations don't just want to succeed, they want to exceed. They will go to every shitty length to make more money. They often do this at the expense of their price point and quality of service. They continually slim-down budgets for safety-related expenses, basic utilities, and staff wages not because they need to in order to succeed but instead to squeeze that much more out of their operation. That's just how it is. The most successful companies in retail are run like this. If they can get away with it, they will do it. They pretty much have every incentive to and nothing stopping them. It's bad for the market and the consumer, but it doesn't hurt their bottom line.

The vaping world is no exception, I suppose. There will be slimeball shop owners, manufacturers, and juicemakers... ...though more often than not, I think the price point is merely a symptom of a new industry that's growing much more quickly than anybody could have anticipated. Imagine going from making $500,000 a year in gross profit from your little mom-and-pops operation to running a million-dollar-business in just a couple of years. With that scaling comes changes in the structure of your company, new overhead, and new risks. If you're not prepared for that upswing, it can put you out of business.

Additionally, there's a lot of uncertainty in the market because of how large it is for how new it is. Nobody really knows quite what things should cost. There isn't really much in the way of market standards. I think as the market matures, we will see more reasonable B&M prices. I think people often forget that these are new business. It can take a few years before they start seeing any returns at all on their investment. Customer bases start small, but the costs to the owner are not inherently lower just because they are smaller and have fewer customers.

Last edited:

Droogbc

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In the city where I live in Canada there are quite a few vape shops. The online seller I have bought from in the past, has gone down hill fast

The shop I frequent the most, is fantastic. I recently bought a RX200 there for $60 only $10 more than than online, my TFV4 and Goliath V2 were 10, and 8 dollars more respectivly. They are not going broke, they just opened up a second location a month ago. There is at least one other shop here, that has similar pricing. As well, I noticed last week, that the corner store I used to buy smokes at, sells the TFV4 for $40.

Considering I have had problems with some gear, and had it replaced over the counter no questions asked, I have no problem paying a little more, for that kind of service, and the ability to try a device before I buy it.

There have been several devices I was intending to purchase, that after trying, I decided not to, and that saving nicely offsets the extra minimal cost I might pay fot the items that are more at the store.

They also allow free sampeling of juice, and have a reward plan for full price juice, and have a clearance section, where you an get 30ml juie for $5.

Chatting with other vapers in this country and others, I realize that the situation in my city may not be the norm, and I feel lucky that the situation here is like it is.

There are other stores here with rapey prices, a country wide chain, where I used to shop occasionally, comes to mind and they still do a brisk business from what I have seen selling primairly beginner starter kits at less than bargin prices, I expect that is the reason they have little in the line of advanced vaping devices. Oh well, if it gets more people off the stinkys, more power to them.
Which store and in which city are you able to get the rx for $60? Around here the rx200 is $99.99 at the cheapest, and $120 at the most. Plus tax. The dna200 version is $200-220, plus tax.

Even asked one shop of they would price match their in town competitors price of $99.99 and they refused. They wanted $120 and not a penny less.

I want one, but not at those prices, especially when they're selling cells for $15 a pop, plus tax.

At $60, I'd probably buy 2 of them.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The cheapest I've seen them has been $85, and the store sells them out as fast as they can get them in.

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I have noticed the same thing. Vape and smoke shops (which sell vaping products) are ridiculously overpriced. Better to just purchase online.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1.50 a foot! Damn.

I believe him. Hell, I had to pay $10 for 6 ft of Ni at a B&M. They charged a $1 a foot for Kanthal. You better believe that was the last time I purchased anything at that place.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I sure hope you DIY your juice and coils then.

My juice cost me about .65 for 30ml, and a coil about .05.

As a side note. I just purchased 2 coils at a B&M crying the entire time. While my son was telling me he didn't understand why I was bitching about $9.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
See, but that's a reasonable markup for the service provided. With B&M stores, you get advice on what to buy, you can examine the products and often even try them out, and if something goes wrong or you can't figure out how to troubleshoot something, you don't have to play email-tag to have it rectified... ...you just take it down to the shop. There's also the atmosphere and sense of community that you can't get from an online vendor. B&M's are a great place to meet fellow vapers and stay in the loop with products and events.

All of that justifies some markup. You're paying for an experience and punctual service. 15-20 percent actually isn't bad compared to the markup that's common practice in other storefront markets.

I will always support my local B&M simply because they represent the local vaping community and help new vapers find their way. I get why some people think they are overpriced... ...there are a lot of things I would never buy from a B&M. But in order for them to succeed and be able to offer us their products and services at a better price, they will need our support in getting established.

And yeah, retail markup is bad. There are toys at walmart that cost less than a dollar to make and sell for $20 or more. I myself work in retail. I've worked as a freight manager in a few different types of stores, so it has been my job to know both the the profit value and the actual cost per unit and I can tell you that there are no exceptions - they all sell at a criminally-high margin.

Even the company I work for now, Dollar Tree, is marking up their shoddily manufactured sweatshop products at a ridiculously high margin. Sure, everything is a dollar-six, but most of the things in there cost us around 10 cents per unit.

And overhead isn't the reason for that. It's about budgets and goals. Most retail stores shoot to be in the green, not the black. These big corporations don't just want to succeed, they want to exceed. They will go to every shitty length to make more money. They often do this at the expense of their price point and quality of service. They continually slim-down budgets for safety-related expenses, basic utilities, and staff wages not because they need to in order to succeed but instead to squeeze that much more out of their operation. That's just how it is. The most successful companies in retail are run like this. If they can get away with it, they will do it. They pretty much have every incentive to and nothing stopping them. It's bad for the market and the consumer, but it doesn't hurt their bottom line.

The vaping world is no exception, I suppose. There will be slimeball shop owners, manufacturers, and juicemakers... ...though more often than not, I think the price point is merely a symptom of a new industry that's growing much more quickly than anybody could have anticipated. Imagine going from making $500,000 a year in gross profit from your little mom-and-pops operation to running a million-dollar-business in just a couple of years. With that scaling comes changes in the structure of your company, new overhead, and new risks. If you're not prepared for that upswing, it can put you out of business.

Additionally, there's a lot of uncertainty in the market because of how large it is for how new it is. Nobody really knows quite what things should cost. There isn't really much in the way of market standards. I think as the market matures, we will see more reasonable B&M prices. I think people often forget that these are new business. It can take a few years before they start seeing any returns at all on their investment. Customer bases start small, but the costs to the owner are not inherently lower just because they are smaller and have fewer customers.

Imagine watching your multi-million $ company get eaten alive by a mom and pop who knew how to run an effective business. :)

I won't go into much detail. But I've watched that happen on a much larger scale than some Vape Shop. Multi-million dollar companies paying $15 an hour plus overtime, being put out of business by a small company paying a base salary, plus performance bonuses.

I love watching a small company take down greed.

Al Day Vape

Member For 4 Years
I sure hope you DIY your juice and coils then.

My juice cost me about .65 for 30ml, and a coil about .05.

As a side note. I just purchased 2 coils at a B&M crying the entire time. While my son was telling me he didn't understand why I was bitching about $9.
You may have just given me the slap in the face I needed to start DIY-ing. Dayum!

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's not just vape shops. Every retail store in America is at a disadvantage to online shopping. Online retailers have very little overhead, many are operating out of their garages, with no employees. Online retailers do not even have to stock inventory, they can drop ship from their suppliers. It's a double edged sword. You get better pricing, by hurting the economy in your area. There is no way to have it both ways.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never buy coil wire or juice from any B&M shops they are crazy over priced. Also juice in general is way way way over priced I see my friends buying 25 dollar bottles of 30ml juice and I go online find a recipe and make almost the same juice for less then a dollar a 30ml bottle. It blows my mind I started diying not to save money but around here I couldn't buy sub ohm juice and then I found out how cheap it was and how much better quality it is.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

BZ33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I buy juice and coils and even tanks from my local shop because I like them, their mods though are priced at at least double than online. I just can't justify paying a 100% mark up.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I buy juice and coils and even tanks from my local shop because I like them, their mods though are priced at at least double than online. I just can't justify paying a 100% mark up.
Premium juice on average is 2000% mark up.. how's that justified?

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It's not just vape shops. Every retail store in America is at a disadvantage to online shopping. Online retailers have very little overhead, many are operating out of their garages, with no employees. Online retailers do not even have to stock inventory, they can drop ship from their suppliers. It's a double edged sword. You get better pricing, by hurting the economy in your area. There is no way to have it both ways.

That's true. They get you with shipping if you don't have patience or a subscription like Amazon Prime though. Also, they charge taxes on items in CA at least.

BZ33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Premium juice on average is 2000% mark up.. how's that justified?

It's not but they charge about the same as online. I'm just talking price differences between online and B&M.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's not but they charge about the same as online. I'm just talking price differences between online and B&M.
Oh I see yeah, I was talking juices in general. I've talked with a few different juice promoters and advertisers, and anyone will tell you in the juice market sales are 90% hype and 10% juice.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't seen it 1000%. A retail shop has to operate at close to 100% minimum markup (margin) just to be profitable. Online retailers can sell at 25-50% margin, some even less, and profit. Amazon can make a little on every transaction and sustain by doing millions of transactions. Now you throw in the fact that the retailer can only buy at a price that is 20% less than what someone can order it for online. The sad part, I have seen people go into their local shop to figure out what they like. Then order it online to save money, without ever considering the service their local shop offered. Since the internet shopping caught on, the retail industry is struggling just to survive.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I've been in jewelry at wholesale and retail for over 30 years. In the jewelry business it is exactly the 100% you said. I've never seen it anything but that unless it's to have a scam sale that ends up being 100% markup.
Unless you get into something like $20,000 final price, then you're talking very low markups because a 10% markup is still a very nice pay day.
If you need justification for 100% on a $500 wholesale cost diamond, you pay for it when it gets broken setting it and we'll see how fast you decide 100% isn't that outrageous.

Clothing and furniture are high because of fashion. If you get stuck with a warehouse full of pointy bras it could be 30 years before you can sell them again.
Similar could be said about ecigs. Look around and you can still find new old stock 801s. Things are advancing so fast if you have to buy a large amount to get wholesale pricing odds are high you'll be stuck with a bunch of stuff you can't give away. The way the US tax law works is the cost of that inventory isn't cost until you sell it.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't seen it 1000%. A retail shop has to operate at close to 100% minimum markup (margin) just to be profitable. Online retailers can sell at 25-50% margin, some even less, and profit. Amazon can make a little on every transaction and sustain by doing millions of transactions. Now you throw in the fact that the retailer can only buy at a price that is 20% less than what someone can order it for online. The sad part, I have seen people go into their local shop to figure out what they like. Then order it online to save money, without ever considering the service their local shop offered. Since the internet shopping caught on, the retail industry is struggling just to survive.
I hear ya, I think it's hard in the vape community cause most of us started vaping using online stores cause their was no such thing as a B&M 3 years ago. So not only are we used to it we are used to the prices. Maybe as people start vaping from B&M shops it won't feel so wrong to them.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I haven't seen it 1000%.

I can imagine liquid being at least 1000%, especially when you consider the push for low nicotine. 18mg costs me $1.50/30ml, 4mg costs 88¢/30ml for one of my most expensive recipes. If that's my cost buying small DIY amounts, how much cheaper is it when you're buying barrels?
A store that mixes their own is getting it for no more than I paid to DIY.
Even if you include $1 for a bottle and mark that up too I've seen $20/30ml which is over 1000% on my costs.

In their defense, you're not going to pay the rent marking eliquid up 100%. It's a niche market which are always higher markups especially at small local shops.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've always had time to do one cost-saving DIY step at a time. The order I ended up with:

1. Learn to make juice. Saved over $4,000 so far.
2. Learn to rebuild my wife's disposable attys. Saved over $500.
3. Learn to tear apart/fix mods. Saved over $200.
4. Learn to make TC coils and better RDA coils. Saved... well, I'm still losing money on this one.
5. Learn enough about new hardware to buy online... versus going to our B&M and telling him to sell me what he'd use if he didn't vape off demos.

Hey, I have to give the guy SOME money. We go in there and hang out once in a while. And hanging out in vape shops have made #'s 1-4 happen way quicker. Since switching to mods in 2012, I've overpaid maybe $200 on B&M products. Closer to $250 if you factor in FastTech prices for drip tips and batt holders, etc.

VU Sponsors