Become a Patron!

The Official #HandCheck Thread

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Try going into security? A billion Windows system are gonna go kapooom soon..
Hell, all the stores I shop at..they run XP for POS...that supports ends ..err yesterday. ;-)

I have OS/2 Warp CD's...cheap...lol

I used to use OS/2 back in the late 80's. My Dad was an IBM'r, and we had just about every IBM machine there was. I think the first one I remember is the IBM XT. It ran DOS 2. Next one was an IBM PC Junior. I believe it ran IBM's OEM version of MS-DOS 3. Miss those days.(not) I remember IRC, and IRC chat clients. That was a pretty fun chat technology. I used a chat client called Pidgin, and a few others. Thinking back, it was pretty amazing what those irc chat clients could do. I liked the irc chat rooms.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ya you can.

https://www.techbout.com/turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-34716/

WSUS, or...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4wv6fe/windows_update_minitool_is_a_free_alternative_to/

My 2008-vintage copy of Win7 Ultimate x64 is updated to the EOL patches, backed up on a hardware-independant bootable Paragon image and can run forever as a VM in Linux. I got 32MB of RAM and a hexacore 4ghz AMD CPU for a reason.

And I have a 6.7GB ISO with every win7 version and all patches to this year, just in case.

They can byte me. ;-)

...typed from a fully imported Win7 Waterfox profile into Linux Mint. Yes, I have passwords, plugins, etc.
The only thing I miss is Adobe apps...and I can fix that too.
You have a lot in here including much better equipment than me. I don't have enough drive space to run VMs. I might if I didn't buy so much vape crap :wait:

Slip streaming definitely rocks, I didn't know about the windows update mini tool (except there's one called that for disk management), but I use WUS Offline to update customer's machines after a reload. Not the same thing though. Last time I tried, killing the service didn't work. It reenables itself. I'm gonna check out that mini tool.

I also don't wanna hijack this thread anymore lol!

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I liked the irc chat rooms.
Pirate and hacker haven. There were also some very unsavory underworld activities going on in the dark corners as I'm sure you know. Of course none of that was the fault of the technology. IRC started to really wane when IMs took off. Yahoo and AOL IMs were huge in those days.

Didn't I just say I wasn't going to hijack this thread anymore? :D I'm terrible for that.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
On a kid walk in 85° heat. Then home to cut my damn nails. Sorry
543f10d02d5b6509506e854fc1ae6fbe.jpg

Sent from a pile of wood chips

You could play guitar with those nails. :giggle:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Heh, as long as there are Windows systems, you'll have money.
I used to be a MCP, and I hated it. And that was in 1998.

Corporate greed and apathy knows no bounds. It's ok though, I've pirated Windows since 3.1.
Win7x64 Ultimate is my last M$ OS. Updates are off, MS IP's are banned. it's mine now.

I haven’t seen anyone call MS Micro$oft since maybe Y2K. Lol Good on you.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You have a lot in here including much better equipment than me. I don't have enough drive space to run VMs. I might if I didn't buy so much vape crap :wait:

Slip streaming definitely rocks, I didn't know about the windows update mini tool (except there's one called that for disk management), but I use WUS Offline to update customer's machines after a reload. Not the same thing though. Last time I tried, killing the service didn't work. It reenables itself. I'm gonna check out that mini tool.

I also don't wanna hijack this thread anymore lol!
I was just thinking, at least you all talking puter jargon posted hand checks while doing so :slowclap::D

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So you started it and it caught on like a meme!!
All I really did was strategically hide it in plain sight─in the umpteenth thread about mediocre single coil RDA suggestions not even a single one of which holds a candle against the Deathtrap line of RDAs by Deathwish Modz.
:bomb:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not being snotty at all, joking. We all want to see what you are vaping, just good nature ribbing.

Growl. I’m in an OBS Cube rut now. It’s all I use. I bought seven of them, but I guess I should switch things up a bit.

I got a vintage Aspire K3, though. Lol So I guess I could take a pic of that and one of my Cubes. :facepalm:

Glad we’re still friends. :hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
All I really did was strategically hide it in plain sight─in the umpteenth thread about mediocre single coil RDA suggestions not even a single one of which holds a candle against the Deathtrap line of RDAs by Deathwish Modz.
:bomb:

Hmm, I’ll have to talk to you when I actually use an RDA and possibly even a mech. Who knows when that will be, though. :giggle:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Growl. I’m in an OBS Cube rut now. It’s all I use. I bought seven of them, but I guess I should switch things up a bit.

I got a vintage Aspire K3, though. Lol So I guess I could take a pic of that and one of my Cubes. :facepalm:

Glad we’re still friends. :hug:
You post or don't post a pic whenever you want. Again, totally jacking around. Of course still friends :blowkiss:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You post or don't post a pic whenever you want. Again, totally jacking around. Of course still friends :blowkiss:

Thank you. I hate taking pics. Believe me, I hear it from my family and my hubs all the time!! Of course, they all love photography and phone pics all over the place.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you. I hate taking pics. Believe me, I hear it from my family and my hubs all the time!! Of course, they all love photography and phone pics all over the place.
Curious, why do you hate taking them? And just hand checks or in general?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's another one. This thing really is awesome :D I ordered this no name RBA a while back not realizing that it was RPM only, but the Alike (dopey name) uses RPM coils so it works. Really good. Even has bottom airflow control.
View attachment 162615 View attachment 162616 View attachment 162617

It’s really pretty! I’ve been afraid to buy a pod since I’ve no idea how you change the coils or the pods. Plus where to buy replacement stuff now. Every place I look at gear now is sold out of almost everything!!

It looks very Aegis-y to me. But I like the Aegis Solo a lot. I only heard of the 21700 Aegis after it sold out everywhere.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ya you can.

https://www.techbout.com/turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-34716/

WSUS, or...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4wv6fe/windows_update_minitool_is_a_free_alternative_to/

My 2008-vintage copy of Win7 Ultimate x64 is updated to the EOL patches, backed up on a hardware-independant bootable Paragon image and can run forever as a VM in Linux. I got 32MB of RAM and a hexacore 4ghz AMD CPU for a reason.

And I have a 6.7GB ISO with every win7 version and all patches to this year, just in case.

They can byte me. ;-)

...typed from a fully imported Win7 Waterfox profile into Linux Mint. Yes, I have passwords, plugins, etc.
The only thing I miss is Adobe apps...and I can fix that too.
By far the easiest way I found to disable automagic updates in Win10 Home was to set my internet connection to metered connection, and stop it from bitchfitting on me about wanting to reboot itself in order to finalize the install of updates that require a reboot.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35656-ethernet-connection-set-metered-unmetered-windows-10-a.html

To stop it from fucking with the task scheduler planning unsollicited reboots:
Code:
cd /d "%Windir%\System32"
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny *S-1-1-0:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny *S-1-1-0:(X)

Before doing a manual reboot to finalize the install of updates that require it, it is necessary to revert changes made by running the batch code. Like so:
Code:
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:d *S-1-1-0
icacls MusNotification.exe /grant *S-1-1-0:F
icacls MusNotification.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:g *S-1-1-0
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:d *S-1-1-0
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /grant *S-1-1-0:F
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:g *S-1-1-0

The problem with WUMT (Windows Update MiniTool) was that it wouldn't detect all available Windows Updates in the catalog, thereby you would face the potential risk of missing out on important updates. This is because M$ launches some certain new updates to replace older updates, but does so in such a way that the new update uses the exact same version number as the older one that it will replace... very shady versioning techniques.

On a more positive note, some time ago M$ decided to increase the maximum-allowed delay period that you can pick for planning automagic reboots. For once, they've listened... so the batch code I gave should no longer be needed nowadays─at least I haven't needed it ever since.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Pirate and hacker haven. There were also some very unsavory underworld activities going on in the dark corners as I'm sure you know. Of course none of that was the fault of the technology. IRC started to really wane when IMs took off. Yahoo and AOL IMs were huge in those days.

Didn't I just say I wasn't going to hijack this thread anymore? :D I'm terrible for that.
Well if you're gonna check Win Updates by hand, then it's not too off-topic... :giggle:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's another one. This thing really is awesome :D I ordered this no name RBA a while back not realizing that it was RPM only, but the Alike (dopey name) uses RPM coils so it works. Really good. Even has bottom airflow control.
View attachment 162615 View attachment 162616 View attachment 162617
Alike, Youlike, Ilike :D agreed on the name, but other than that looks really sharp. Bezerker tip is perfect.
977535522634f44c93de522beae8efcd.jpg

977535522634f44c93de522beae8efcd.jpg

Looks pretty bad!!
Doesn't look bad at all! I had a cube but unfortunately it didn't last long :( Too bad, I really liked that little guy.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
In general. For some reason I hated being photographed as a teen. Who knows, I went to school with a lot of very snobby girls.

I was looking at the mods I’m using now and I guess I can take a few pics of them. Sigh. Lol

Maybe this IS the reason. I also went to school with a bunch of rich bitches, and I also hate taking pictures.

Also we both have low, yellow light in our houses. Doesn't make for good pics.

Since I've been at home all the time, I never remember to charge my phone. It's bothersome anyway.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By far the easiest way I found to disable automagic updates in Win10 Home was to set my internet connection to metered connection
I'll try it, but I move large files back and forth to an external server alot and I was always afraid it would effect that.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now take the vinyl stickers and the plate off of the back and paint the yellow sleeve. :)

c969a240c127d96aa5cafd58c197a390.jpg

37935b1bad9bc2abfed56ab616fadf92.jpg

Sent from a Galaxy far far away
It's always great when somebody does something like this with their stuff first :rolleyes:

I might actually leave it yellow. Though now that I see it's reasonably doable some possibilities open up.

In any case this is a good mod. From a time not that long ago when big, full hand, dual battery devices were the thing. I'm impressed with the Vaporesso circuit.

I got the firmware update done. I don't know how you are with that, but this one was actually a bit of an adventure, but I got it done. The available instructions are wrong. :wait:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
By far the easiest way I found to disable automagic updates in Win10 Home was to set my internet connection to metered connection, and stop it from bitchfitting on me about wanting to reboot itself in order to finalize the install of updates that require a reboot.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35656-ethernet-connection-set-metered-unmetered-windows-10-a.html

To stop it from fucking with the task scheduler planning unsollicited reboots:
Code:
takeown /F MusNotification.exe
icacls MusNotification.exe /deny *S-1-1-0:(X)
takeown /F MusNotificationUx.exe
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /deny *S-1-1-0:(X)

Before doing a manual reboot to finalize the install of updates that require it, it is necessary to revert changes made by running the batch code. Like so:
Code:
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:d *S-1-1-0
icacls MusNotification.exe /grant *S-1-1-0:F
icacls MusNotification.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotification.exe /remove:g *S-1-1-0
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:d *S-1-1-0
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /grant *S-1-1-0:F
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller"
icacls MusNotificationUx.exe /remove:g *S-1-1-0

The problem with WUMT (Windows Update MiniTool) was that it wouldn't detect all available Windows Updates in the catalog, thereby you would face the potential risk of missing out on important updates. This is because M$ launches some certain new updates to replace older updates, but does so in such a way that the new update uses the exact same version number as the older one that it will replace... very shady versioning techniques.

On a more positive note, some time ago M$ decided to increase the maximum-allowed delay period that you can pick for planning automagic reboots. For once, they've listened... so the batch code I gave should no longer be needed nowadays─at least I haven't needed it ever since.

I have an easier way: never use win8/10. ;-)

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Alike, Youlike, Ilike :D agreed on the name, but other than that looks really sharp. Bezerker tip is perfect.

Doesn't look bad at all! I had a cube but unfortunately it didn't last long :( Too bad, I really liked that little guy.

I really like the resin on them. For me, they’re small enough to be comfortable and heavy enough to feel sturdy.

I took those pics with my iPad, which was not a happy experience.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe this IS the reason. I also went to school with a bunch of rich bitches, and I also hate taking pictures.

Also we both have low, yellow light in our houses. Doesn't make for good pics.

Since I've been at home all the time, I never remember to charge my phone. It's bothersome anyway.

Yay, you understand!! To my hub’s dismay, I switched the lighting in the house to Tiffany style lamps. So now you really can’t see anything. :giggle:

VU Sponsors