Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

Pevinsghost

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The majik lies in allowing the good to outweigh the bad. :) You're only robbed once unless you allow the thief to keep stealing your energy of worrying over the theft. Yes, according to spell check I misspelled magic, I spell it that way to differentiate it from the crock fakery that passes itself off as majik.
Absolutely, my other experience with a modder he had to quit building because of moving to an apartment, had a leftover device that the positive 510 solder connection broke, only problem on the device. He sold it to me half price, shipped after a couple days 'cause he waited for shipping supplies, and followed up with lots of advice on making the solder connection.

Nice solid 20700 SX350J squonker, I got it for a song, and everything is easy to get to and repair if anything goes wrong with it. Reminds me, I should buy backups of all the components.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the only mod I took with me on my honeymoon was my Mi-One and some Mr. Salt-E. Totally satisfied the whole time. I’m seriously considering selling most of my gear in favor of these little AIO setups (of course, I’d keep a couple of my favorite squonkers!).
I hesitate only because what happens when they stop making coils for them? I HAVE to upgrade then? That’s just annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Played a little mix and match today. Took the top cap off of the PoS O-Atty and put it on the Stumpy (change the top o-ring to a smidge bigger) and what a great vape with a single Z coil. The O-Atty's teardrop holes provide a perfect RLH vape.

That other whistling PoS, the Wasp Nano... it's top cap will fit perfectly on the authentic Royal Hunter. So looks like I'll be squonking the RH with improved airflow and an Ultem cap. ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strange i have been vaping 2 wasps for a while and no whistle not the quietest atty but no whistle. Quieter with a dt. I have the ultim cap ones.

Pevinsghost

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Strange i have been vaping 2 wasps for a while and no whistle not the quietest atty but no whistle. Quieter with a dt. I have the ultim cap ones.
I have the Ultem cap ones with a drip tip as well. Exactly 100% full open, exactly halfway open, or a little sliver of air flow there's no whistle. 90% of the places you could position the airflow it's constant non-stop whistle.

I suspect it's whistling in those few positions that sound fine, just at a frequency I can't hear.

Might have something to do with coil size and position.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the ultem cap as well. I keep it about 90% closed and no whistle. *shrug*

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Which do y'all think is worse, the whistle, or the asthmatic-darth-vader sound? My Achilles doesn't make a peep other than a very slight gurgle when it's getting low on juice, but the spawn's various tank atties mostly sound like asthmatic darth vader. :giggle:

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Ultem cap ones with a drip tip as well. Exactly 100% full open, exactly halfway open, or a little sliver of air flow there's no whistle. 90% of the places you could position the airflow it's constant non-stop whistle.

I suspect it's whistling in those few positions that sound fine, just at a frequency I can't hear.

Might have something to do with coil size and position.
Yes maybe coil...
I have a 3 mm parallel spaced coil that runs the full lenght between the post holes/slots.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Well, just noticed something interesting while removing the battery from the 75c therion. I don't ever have any problems with it tearing battery wraps or installing the batteries at all, but when removing a battery just now via pulling on the ribbon the + of the battery got stuck under the bf pin while the - was still on the mods- and the mod started firing like a mech.
kinda scary when you aren't suspecting it lol.

Moral of the story, remove atty when replacing batteries, makes the battery change easier too believe it or not.

I like regulated devices but I love mechs, especially metal ones, something about the sexy simplicity of a functioning work of art. Few moving parts, as a mechanic I've came to understand the less systems the more reliable. Just now got around to ordering a coppervape, don't know what took so long they are my kind of mod.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Well, just noticed something interesting while removing the battery from the 75c therion.

Moral of the story, remove atty when replacing batteries, makes the battery change easier too believe it or not.

I like regulated devices but I love mechs, especially metal ones, something about the sexy simplicity of a functioning work of art. Few moving parts, as a mechanic I've came to understand the less systems the more reliable. Just now got around to ordering a coppervape, don't know what took so long they are my kind of mod.
Yes, I figured out that taking the atty off makes a big difference. It actually moves the part the feeder tube plugs into up slightly.
Also, when removing the spacer that goes between the battery and the bottle I found that with the atty off if you kind of twist it to the side like your following the circumference of the battery it just slides right out.

Oh, and you're going to love the Coppervape.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

Wicked Gene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a864dbf70b8eec084327c204b4d0cd09.jpg

Wasp & Double Barrel Sqrt

Sent from planet Krypton

Pevinsghost

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Best guess is old stock - don't see it for sale in stock anywhere else
Nope, they released a new batch of about 1000, there were multiple vendors they went out to.

Now who those vendors are would take a little bit of looking to figure out.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
a864dbf70b8eec084327c204b4d0cd09.jpg

Wasp & Double Barrel Sqrt

Sent from planet Krypton

Purrrdy purrdy ... Me like. Oh no, no. No, you don't I am not going to catch shinyitis. Not me, Bub.

I won't even break out the black fishnets for it. I can't anyway, think @The Cromwell kept them last time I lost the broiler maker bet.

Yes, you chose an appropriate handle. You are wicked for sure. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and you're going to love the Coppervape.

I'll second that & vouch for it too. I'm not really one keen to being a monkey for wrenches but I do note that the KISS principle applies across nearly all boards I've seen, done. Always, Keep It Simple Silly. :)

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Purrrdy purrdy ... Me like. Oh no, no. No, you don't I am not going to catch shinyitis. Not me, Bub.

I won't even break out the black fishnets for it. I can't anyway, think @The Cromwell kept them last time I lost the broiler maker bet.

Yes, you chose an appropriate handle. You are wicked for sure. :)

They’re not that expensive (nice mods tho)

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
They’re not that expensive (nice mods tho)
I googled them and found a link to a Facebook group that is currently unavailable.
I also found a link to one listed on eBay for $185.00?
I don't know what they sell for but that sounds like a lot for a mechanical squonk mod.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ever feed lightning bugs to a toad? There belly starts to glow. Maybe the same thing with vaping glow in the dark ejuice?

Darn. No wonder I keep a revolving door at local hospitals, and general practitioner docs. Get myself educated using the InterWebs and also my ever young, virgin impressionable mind gets all these oddball ideas. "Hey, you should try ...". I often don't understand when they stand shaking their heads as I tell them, "read it on the InterWebs, everybody knows the InterWebs don't fib or tell nutty stuff". :)

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I googled them and found a link to a Facebook group that is currently unavailable.
I also found a link to one listed on eBay for $185.00?
I don't know what they sell for but that sounds like a lot for a mechanical squonk mod.

If you don’t mind used, I’ve seen a few hit the 100-125 price

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you don’t mind used, I’ve seen a few hit the 100-125 price

That's still a bit out of my finance range. It is fine though. Offers me something to think about, work toward maybe. If it is too easily attainable it might not be worth attaining. :) Of course, I might see something else tomorrow which I'll have a want for having. I'm the kind of person that doesn't lie awake nights chasing wants. *chuckles* That's kind of silly imho. If I have what I need why waste energy, effort and possibly lose what I need to get what I want? :)

Wicked Gene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want that mod!

It's one of my favorites at the moment. It is very small, I think it's got to be one of the smallest 18650 squonks out there. Here is a pic next to a little orca for comparison.
38a972642ded4bc39d1d7a22bd053559.jpg

The FB group is Barons Vape Boxes
And the double barrel is around $150 depending on the conversion rate.
If you can't join the group pm me and I see if I can add you.

Jamie Crumpton, the designer has some awesome designs. he makes a batch of them and then every other week or so post a poll of the different ones he has available, you vote for which mod you would like to buy and he then runs the names thru the old randomizer. he leaves the poll open for 24 hrs so its not impossible to enter.

I am either lucky or cursed, not sure , because i have been picked 3 times in the last 3 months...lol

This one i have on the way across the pond now,
sqrt.png

Sent from planet Krypton

Last edited:

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks guys, I've done the different build / coil height tinkering enough with the Wasp to know it's just not going to work for me. If I can get an atty to whistle just by varying the amount of inhale pressure, then I can't be bothered using it.

Too many other RDAs that work great and don't require height/width adjustments. ;)

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I just had a juice company tell me the reason their juice gave me a head ache was cause I use N80 wire on a mech and not in TC lol... This will be a fun conversation... still waiting for his reply via E-Mail

Seriously? Wow.

Tell them you tested it out on a kanthal build and got the same result. Douche canoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I just had a juice company tell me the reason their juice gave me a head ache was cause I use N80 wire on a mech and not in TC lol... This will be a fun conversation... still waiting for his reply via E-Mail
Wait.. They are blaming you based on how you are using a certain material in wattage not in tc? =_=.. Let me go grab my vape and popcorn lol! Anyone care to join?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wait.. They are blaming you based on how you are using a certain material in wattage not in tc? =_=.. Let me go grab my vape and popcorn lol! Anyone care to join?

No I don't think they are trying to blame me, but the conversation thus far is funny...

I just responded to him after he tried to explain TC to me...Told him, " lets forego the conversation of TC in correlation of possible reasons that I get a headache, that is just pure rubbish and insulting"

Bardiel003

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No I don't think they are trying to blame me, but the conversation thus far is funny...

I just responded to him after he tried to explain TC to me...Told him, " lets forego the conversation of TC in correlation of possible reasons that I get a headache, that is just pure rubbish and insulting"
It would be nice in what they have out in the juice that could possibly cause headaches. So far I vaped several other juices from other brands. And only thing I know is that if let settled without shaking it or in a cool area. It just tastes horrible in my opinion. And that's me vaping with 0% nic.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It would be nice in what they have out in the juice that could possibly cause headaches. So far I vaped several other juices from other brands. And only thing I know is that if let settled without shaking it or in a cool area. It just tastes horrible in my opinion. And that's me vaping with 0% nic.

I honestly think its just me...I DIY 95% of the time, and accustomed to my juice, its that other 5% of the time I see a company sell juice at a killer deal, for instance The Sauce LA, having some of their juice go for cheap, I'll grab a bottle or two of some Caramel Waffle, or Vanilla Bean, those are better than half way decent and I never get that throbbing head ache.

But this stuff, wasn't horrible tasting, just after a few toots the head ache came on Like Verde Valley Vapes Shit-Tastic juice ( that stuff is just garbage )..so I put it aside thinking maybe I was just needing some water etc, maybe dehydrated or what not...

Vaped it again the next day, and within a few rips the head ache started back...and I don't need to attempt it again a 3rd time just for science ;)

So I contacted the company, gave them their Batch # and Bottled on Date...and he asked what device I used and coil and the comic relief started from there lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My vote goes to... some flavor they use which contains a chemical that your physiology objects to, and therefore causes a headache. Could be literally anything; the shit that some flavor makers put into the flavors begs belief -- TFA puts SULFITES into Dbl Chocolate -Dark -- sulfites are used ONLY to prevent food from turning brown -- why the hell would you put that into brown ejuice????????? :huh:

Andria

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So the dude is still stuck on TC and me mentioning SS316...and proceeded to tell me about the corrosion blah blah etc of coils...

There is something I would like to bring to your attention out of general safety concern.

Pretty much every Stainless Steel Wire re-seller I can find uses the term Temperature control in the product description. I cannot advise using any vape product beyond the description.

Although it may work, I cannot advise you to use Stainless Steel outside of temp control.
Stainless Steel contains chromium. Which when put under heat, can cause corrosion. This corrosion is "Hexavalent Chromium" which is a Genotoxic Carninogen.

This happens at 260C which is easily achievable in a mechanical Mod.

https://www.lightningvapes.com/products/stainless-steel-316l?variant=16989925125
http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/research/research-2015/212-db

We are not against you, We would love to work with you until we get this resolved.

Had to tell him, dude I mostly vape at 35-45w, I am in no way degrading the wire fast enough when I rebuild/cotton daily to ever worry about that, especially when you latched onto me mentioning SS but not that I primarily use N80 ;) But I digress.

Plus my initial E-mail stated that it was a fresh build/cotton. *facepalm*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:vapemail:

Behold yon cometh the post. In the post, I got some expected vape mail & some unexpected vape mail. The expected was the Gorge RDA. :) Not built on it yet. That will be a treat for later.

The unexpected vape mail was a Kanger Dripbox 2. There was a brief note in the packing materials.

"Dear MyMagicMist/Morely,

We, sir, are quite aware you visit a few vaping forums. Let us offer you a complimentary Dripbox 2. In return will you kindly use it, give it a test drive and post a small write up in one of the vaping forums you visit. Thank you kindly.

Signed
Your friends, Kanger Tech
(scribbled name) Kanger Tech Publicity & Sales"

That doesn't happen I thought. Well, I contacted them. They were quite happy to tell me that yes it does indeed happen. :)

Alright, here I go then. :)

Overall I want to say that quality does not really lack. It is sure to be up to par with competitors in the market. Now, I'll break it down in pros and cons.

The Pros:

It is a regulated squonk mod.
There are lots of features.
Accessing these features is kept the standard in line with Ego type of products, ergo intuitive.
The unit I got was black in color. It is trendy and fashionable. :)
The design seemed suitable for what the product is.

The Cons:

It is a regulated squonk mod.
There are lots of features.
It had a rattle.
The buttons clicked loudly. (imho)
Removing the bottle with juice in it seemed difficult.

Wrapping it up. I am glad that my name was picked out of random usernames from vaping forums to receive a promotional product. This allowed me an opportunity to look at something which I called a tentative want and not have a need to dole out funds. :)

I had once thought I did want this product. Unfortunately, well, it to me seems bulky. Again though that's subjective. I have thin fingers but big wide palms. That combined with arthritis, some nerve damage leaves me with an affinity for smaller yet not microscopic things. To compare, it is a bit bigger than the Coppervape. It is also striving to be a full box form factor.

The rattle I put down to the bottle sitting on the bottle cover on the bottom. There was merely enough 'play' there to jar and rattle. Could that be fixed? I think it possibly could. Backing up a minute, here's a pro, it only takes one 18650 battery. I had a concern it needed two or three. I could not tell when I looked on various sites selling it. I did ask but think I faded off into the woodwork. That happens, I'm not a squeaky cog.

My overall take away? If you like a regulated squonk and the box form, there you go. I did not fiddle too much with temp control or swapping too much aside from the cotton on the OEM's deck. It vaped alright for me in full mech mode. This is not a mech though & yes you can tell a difference. No real one salient point is a deal breaker on it for me. The few little cons adding up and I think the Coppervape still wins the day. Guess I'm stuck as a mech head. Aw, well it could be worse, I could have hacked the Dripbox2 to give me full access to the Nuclear Football. :) ;)

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My vote goes to... some flavor they use which contains a chemical that your physiology objects to, and therefore causes a headache. Could be literally anything; the shit that some flavor makers put into the flavors begs belief -- TFA puts SULFITES into Dbl Chocolate -Dark -- sulfites are used ONLY to prevent food from turning brown -- why the hell would you put that into brown ejuice????????? :huh:

Andria

Yeah, I am sure that is the case... like I replied to Bardie, its probably me... Its just sort of fun in a sadistic way now reading his responses on trying to point out a reason his juice gives me a head ache lol.

I don't think he will go to the point of just saying, Maybe our juice doesn't agree with you...even though that is the most logical reasoning.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I am sure that is the case... like I replied to Bardie, its probably me... Its just sort of fun in a sadistic way now reading his responses on trying to point out a reason his juice gives me a head ache lol.

I don't think he will go to the point of just saying, Maybe our juice doesn't agree with you...even though that is the most logical reasoning.

I love how his explanation to you is that SS wire contains chromium, and therefore shouldn't be used outside of TC; guess he never looked up the alloy of kanthal. Which CAN'T be used in TC. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Andria

VU Sponsors