Smok X Cube II - Smok's Temp Control Take 2

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so now that you have the xcube 2, seem to have the app working, any thoughts on this as a TC device, especially with SS
Temp control, probably the best I've used. Only problem is knowing the proper coefficient. I'm not sold the defaults are correct. Especially with different grades of SS as I'm sure the coefficient is at least somewhat different. I think the only mod available that beats this on the market is a DNA200. I think I have the correct coefficient for ti 0.00384 vapes wonderfully! But we're talking at least a 250% price difference for a DNA200 device. Customization is awesome on this device. Unless they changed it, the battery door is a non issue and I don't understand the complaints. One more con, may be a stay at home device, it's a beautiful piece, I'd hate to ding it up or scratch it.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Temp control, probably the best I've used. Only problem is knowing the proper coefficient. I'm not sold the defaults are correct. Especially with different grades of SS as I'm sure the coefficient is at least somewhat different. I think the only mod available that beats this on the market is a DNA200. I think I have the correct coefficient for ti 0.00384 vapes wonderfully! But we're talking at least a 250% price difference for a DNA200 device. Customization is awesome on this device. Unless they changed it, the battery door is a non issue and I don't understand the complaints. One more con, may be a stay at home device, it's a beautiful piece, I'd hate to ding it up or scratch it.
Awesome news

my d2 took a bath last night, and i really like having 2 devices going at once so I can switch flavors easy.
This device has been on my radar for a few weeks now, but have been very hesitant until someone I knew, who had a clue, got one and posted some real life info on it. Thanks for being my guniea pig @CurlyxCracker

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
well imho
the app is only needed from what I can tell to activate TC upgrades. Sure you can get info from it and change settings, but all of that can be done on the mod. So as long as the app can activate the tc upgrades im happy with that.

BUT maybe the difference in reading has something to do with the hard soft modes. I do not know if the mod uses those for power mode
but if they do and you have it in hard mode, then what the app is saying may make sense. Since you set it for 140-160w and then in hard mode it would boost that, and the app is telling you the actual wattage being fired
Yes this is true, I will probably barely use the app again. It is more of a novelty after you do the upgrades.
It does have min-max in wattage mode as well, I can't recall if I had that set higher than normal. AFAIK, hard/max only boost it for a couple seconds. Then it reverts to normal power.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Awesome news

my d2 took a bath last night, and i really like having 2 devices going at once so I can switch flavors easy.
This device has been on my radar for a few weeks now, but have been very hesitant until someone I knew, who had a clue, got one and posted some real life info on it. Thanks for being my guniea pig @CurlyxCracker
I've used the d2 the only thing you may miss is the bulk or lack of. This thing is solid/sturdy.
Glad I could help you out ;)
Also low light hand check
924e9b572877839df22bf2c764caf0d9.jpg

Zephyrus running ti 0.18 ohms led to match o rings. Loving it

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I need a cheapie tablet or phone just for the app, but until then...

The Min to Max works across the board and I really like it. 2 second initial ramp or punch, or null.
The effects are... -15, -10, 0, +10, +15.

However, I don't like that they combined that with the Single/Double coil selection as the only power adjust in TC. Maybe I'll find it's great as I get some TC time in, but I'm dubious.

Here's a big, big plus... a complaint I and many others have with the D2 is the crappy scroll acceleration algorithm. It just sucks.

But the xBrick II (new nik I stole last night) has done it right, and that's very good considering you've got up to 160 watts worth of scrolling to do. Over 100, no tenths. Great. But all along the range, a click is a small adj, hold and it speeds up properly and predictably. A way to use the memory values to make a major jump would be cool, but you'd love your set watts by using the pre-sets, so that's really a non-starter. Fair enough.
IMHO if you already have SS and ti unlocked. You don't need the app. It's a novelty at this point.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok
so the xcube 2 mini says this
on a product page

Three new features: Intelligent Coil Recognition, Adjustable Temperature Coefficient of Resistance and Adjustable Initial Resistance are added to enhance the accurateness of temperature control, and produce unexpected consistency and taste of every puff.

does the full size xcube have these features via an update

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I saw that too.
The only one I'm not sure of is Intelligent Coil Recognition.
Haven't used enough types and not sure what they're claiming.

The other two are in my stock mod.
-Except accurateness, you can never have enough accurateness.

OH you can manually change the locked resistance of your coil via t he menu?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
cool deal

i have no idea what intelligent coil detection is about either. Its not like using a standard 510 the mod is going to be able to tell the difference between kanthal,ni,ti,ss,nichrome, etc

thorpemark1

Member For 4 Years
Does anyone run the iphone app and have the issue of not been able to see the full temperature co-efficient as it goes off the screen ? mine just shows 0.00.....

Ldiddy33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I read most of the thread about this mod and I'm on the fence just like you were. I'll be upgrading from a MVP 3 and I need something with more power and the TC thing has really caught my eye. My only hold back right now (besides all the negative reviews/info on that thread) is that the holiday season is coming up and I saw that Smok is making a X cube mini with lots of "improvements" not to mention more mods and deals may be coming out around that time. I've got the itchy clicky buy button finger going on. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I read most of the thread about this mod and I'm on the fence just like you were. I'll be upgrading from a MVP 3 and I need something with more power and the TC thing has really caught my eye. My only hold back right now (besides all the negative reviews/info on that thread) is that the holiday season is coming up and I saw that Smok is making a X cube mini with lots of "improvements" not to mention more mods and deals may be coming out around that time. I've got the itchy clicky buy button finger going on. What should I do?

Buy an x cube II! Then in a few months buy something else if you desire. TC is wonderful. It's the most consistent vaping experience. It's a <$60 and IMHO it only rivals the DNA200 at this point

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
If they work out all the kinks with it, after reading this thread, I may just consider picking up one of these down the road.

Sigh ... thanks guys ...

Buy an x cube II! Then in a few months buy something else if you desire. TC is wonderful. It's the most consistent vaping experience. It's a <$60 and IMHO it only rivals the DNA200 at this point

Agree. The ability to tailor your personal vape is excellent.
You got TCF,/ Min, Soft, Norm, Hard,Max and Initial Ohm setting.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If they work out all the kinks with it, after reading this thread, I may just consider picking up one of these down the road.

Sigh ... thanks guys ...
Honestly my ONLY issue with it was when Smok's servers were down, and had to wait a handful of hours to purchase SS and Ti.

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need to update mine, but at the moment I love it. It eats batteries but it's a solid mod, feels great in hand and looks amazing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443888393.328378.jpg

Ldiddy33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How bad does it eat batteries? How long would you say you get out of 2 fully charged batteries?

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
How bad does it eat batteries? How long would you say you get out of 2 fully charged batteries?

^^ This! How fast does it go through 2 fully charged batteries?

art247

Member For 4 Years
i run between 30 to 40 maybe more like 80 vg i like to order 120 mils highest nic available and cut it down with vg so i can afford to vape on

i run between 30 to 40 maybe more like 80 vg i like to order 120 mils highest nic available and cut it down with vg so i can afford to vape on

50ml bottle a day?. Wow that will last me a week

Batteries are good considering your heavy vaping. lol
I use the LG HG2 3000mAh and that last me 2 days. With BT and LED on 40% of the time

art247

Member For 4 Years
dont worry im only running it through hoops this weekend for the warranty before i upgrade

my snow wolf died right after the warranty expired ! its going to the shop
oh i like the case and i must say the x cube II has been flawless

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So dialed in the coefficient for SS316L. Thought I'd share. It's 0.00175.

scottracinvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly my ONLY issue with it was when Smok's servers were down, and had to wait a handful of hours to purchase SS and Ti.
Hi. How exactley do you purchase the 2 wire upgrades without paypal! It gives you the option to pay with a cred or debit card then the app takes a pic of the card and says tap to charge card! And then it say they do not accept this payment method??? I have never and will never use paypal, so I guess I can never get these wire type upgrades is this true? And input is greatly appreciated, and thank you very much! THE WHOLE IDEA OF THESE PURCHASES THAT YOUR FORCED TO MAKE IS PURE CRAZINESS!!! PUT THESE UPGRADES IN A SOFTWARE UPDATE!!! WAKE UP CHINA!!!

Last edited:

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi. How exactley do you purchase the 2 wire upgrades without paypal! It gives you the option to pay with a cred or debit card then the app takes a pic of the card and says tap to charge card! And then it say they do not accept this payment method??? I have never and will never use paypal, so I guess I can never get these wire type upgrades is this true? And input is greatly appreciated, and thank you very much!
I used PayPal. Why wouldn't you use PayPal? This protects you at least slightly, you don't have to keep entering you're CC number in every site you order from and you are protected to file a dispute it you don't get merchandise without canceling your card...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For some reason, this thread became "unwatched" for me! Glad to see everyone enjoying their X-Cubes.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
You fan-boys almost have me convinced to try and pick one of these up! :D

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Do the firmware updates first, then the upgrade if you want SS and Ti. The firmware upgrade is worth doing, as it allows you to everything on the mod, other than the upgrades.

Ldiddy33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After much deliberation, re-reading this thread and web research I decided to go with the ipv 3 li. Thank you to all of you for your answers and help. Everyone have a blessed day.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Coefficient adjust, 2 more power modes (min, soft, norm, hard, max) a display lock function, and fixes some TC issues.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I havn't finished reverse engineering the firmware yet. You know I don't work for Smok right? lol

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had a rocky start with this mod, but it has been working great. This is only my 5th mod, not counting the DIY mechs I made.Hoping the next firmware upgrade will include a universal IR remote for the TV. Just realized I've got some 20 gauge 304 stainless!!! Hmmm, What to build.......

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
He he, 3mm, 7 wraps, comes out to 0.08 for 2 of those. should be able to max the 'ol cube with this build.

scottracinvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used PayPal. Why wouldn't you use PayPal? This protects you at least slightly, you don't have to keep entering you're CC number in every site you order from and you are protected to file a dispute it you don't get merchandise without canceling your card...
Because I had a paypal account about as soon as paypal started, and I got scammed out of 2500 bucks which I never recovered from them! NEVER EVER AGAIN WILL I USE PAYPAL! Just sayin!

Mechanix

Member For 4 Years
Alright so I'm new to the temp control devices and I just got the xcube 2 and been trying some ni200 builds but when I go to vape I still get that dry burt taste before the mod goes into protection mode and I tried doing a burnt cotton test and even at the lowest temp I'm burning my cotton so what am I doing wrong am I missing a setting or something I have the newest update that I know of v1.092 and my build is a ni200 26g @ 8wraps 2.5id that comes out to .1ohms I've heard about adjusting the temperature coefficient but how do you know what to adjust it to any help would be great thanks in advance

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Anyone interested in buying this thing????
I wish I could afford it, but I can't ... :(

You could try posting it in the Trading Post section, that would be the proper thread for sales and trades between forum members.

Good luck, HTH!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't get the app to work all I want to do is create an account and unlock Ti mode!!!!!!
Getting "network anomalies" error? Don't worry it's Smok's fault if you didn't get it already should be up now

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Alright so I'm new to the temp control devices and I just got the xcube 2 and been trying some ni200 builds but when I go to vape I still get that dry burt taste before the mod goes into protection mode and I tried doing a burnt cotton test and even at the lowest temp I'm burning my cotton so what am I doing wrong am I missing a setting or something I have the newest update that I know of v1.092 and my build is a ni200 26g @ 8wraps 2.5id that comes out to .1ohms I've heard about adjusting the temperature coefficient but how do you know what to adjust it to any help would be great thanks in advance
Haven't even put ni200 on the mod yet. What I did with SS was gradually increase the coefficient value until cotton started to yellow at 420. I suggest going down say 50-100, coefficient, and set to 390-400, degrees, see if it burns if not go to 410-420 and see if it colors at all. If not set coefficient a bit higher

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Haven't even put ni200 on the mod yet. What I did with SS was gradually increase the coefficient value until cotton started to yellow at 420. I suggest going down say 50-100, coefficient, and set to 390-400, degrees, see if it burns if not go to 410-420 and see if it colors at all. If not set coefficient a bit higher
Wow, this mod almost seems like it is too much work! LOL

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haha. I need to test with ni200 and ti but the coefficient for SS316l is 0.00175

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't select ti on the mod. Only via the app. Is there a fix for this ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When you bought ti, did you only purchase it? You have to hit it twice once to pay once to upgrade it to device

VU Sponsors