Become a Patron!

Smok X Cube II - Smok's Temp Control Take 2

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have found that the titanium from Sweet Spot Vapors on my Cube works really well. I've done a few nickel builds as well. I think because it is way easier to build with than ni200 you might want to give it a shot. It's pricey but it's definitely safe. The flavor I get is pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have got Titanium, I use it on my D2, and it is easier to build with yes. Unfortunately I did not realise the resistance was quite higher, I ordered 26 and 30 gauge, 25 meters of each. It is only like 3 or 4 turns of the 26 gauge to fall into the TC range, and I was worried that because it is a small area, it will burn the wick?

The 30 gauge I can not think of a use for due to the resistance being too high.

I think I will get 24 gauge next time, so I can get more wraps=more surface area.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
x675

x675

304 stainless 22 gauge 2,3mm 0.08 ohm on my TFV4 after a week of hard vaping. My X Cube 2 fires it just fine I run it at approx 75 to 85 watts depending on the juice.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
It didn't turn up today unfortunately, but some 'genuine' VTC4's did.

Its 20 to 9 in the evening here though, so bed in a few hours, then whe I wake after a few hours mr postman should bring the Xcube 2. If not, it was not shipped on monday.

I spoke to the shop, they sent it yesterday, so it should definitely be here tommorow. My fiancee went halves with my mum, so I only owe my mum 30 quid and my fiancee payed half as a little present.

With that £30 I am going to get a 4 bay nitecore charger, then I can charge 6 batteries at once with the I2 as well. So I will never be short on batteries again lol. I want to get the D4 though, as it has a LCD screen instead of the 3 flashing lights, that gives information, such as 93% full and other info, what mode it is charging in ETC. I think £30 should be well enough, am going to have a look now at one of the shops I use, that seems to be cheapest on chargers.
I have the Nitecore, it gets the job done, but it's not the best charger. I would recommend you check out the efest Luc V4 ... It's also a 4 bay charger, but I've heard it's miles better than the Nitecore for about the same price. Don't bother with the new Blu6 6 bay charger, it's really expensive and still has the same 4 amp limitation that the V4 has.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Nitecore, it gets the job done, but it's not the best charger. I would recommend you check out the efest Luc V4 ... It's also a 4 bay charger, but I've heard it's miles better than the Nitecore for about the same price. Don't bother with the new Blu6 6 bay charger, it's really expensive and still has the same 4 amp limitation that the V4 has.

It may sound silly, but is the Efest charger as safe as the nitecore? What extra features does it have over the nitecore?

If its safe, and is actually better, I will get that one, but I like the nitecore is insured worldwide.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok it seems like you can select 0.5, 1 A or 2 A, its about £8 more than the nitecore in the UK. I like the fact the nitecore does Imr, Inr,and all other types of li-ion, NI-cd, Ni-MH, and LiFePO4.

This is important as I own A few torches/flashlights, the brightest run on a single 18650, it would blind a demon, I tried it on my self on mid and was blind for about 5 minutes. If someone tried anything at night with you, you would only have to put that on high for under a second in their eyes,and their night vision would be buggered, and they would have no idea where you are.

I can see how they was used as the first mechs, it is the same size as my mech, like exactly the same.

That is about 600 lumens (they claim 900, but its actually 600, about 350 on mid which is still extremely bright).

I also need a charger that does standard AAA rechargeables. I have a very bright keyring torch/flashlight, 80 lumen, (It claims 100 but has been tested to be 80, its still a cree XP-E in it, kind of the little brother to the XM-L2 in my bigger 18650 torch,, in it, so is bloody bright) the old maglites with the big batteries were 8 lumens. So, from a tiny AAA cell, you get 10 times the power of light of an old maglite, not 10 times the brightness though, similar to watts in speakers, double the watts does not equal double the power, 10 times does.

(This is on high, the battery only lasts an hour on high, Mid is still well enough which is about 30 lumen, so still brighter than the maglite, but runs for about 3 and a half hours, on low it goes for 16 hours, thats about 10 lumen, so still brighter than the maglite, so perfect if you was lost somewhere and needed to conserve your batteries and back ups)

I know you can not select charge on the nitecore, it chooses what is best for the battery, but I'm cool with that. I just trust Nitecore a lot more than Efest.

Plus its £23 vs £30+ that I can find for the efest, and that worldwide insurance policy just makes it seem more viable to me. I hope to never experience a fire using proper technique, but that would come in handy if it did go wrong, and I could not stop the spread of flames.

Last edited:

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
As @Jim_MDP pointed out, the LUC V4 does have a really nice status display on it, and the ability to change charge rate can help speed up charge time when you are in a hurry and need a battery charged. You know, like when you've been out drinking all night and forget to charge your batteries... :D

Ultimately though, if you need to do other types of batteries and don't want to keep 2 chargers around, then the Nitecore may be the best charger for you. I have spoken to quite a few vapers and vape shops that all say the LUC is miles ahead of the Nitecore, but in the end, if it charges a battery, then it is just fine.

I never said there was anything wrong with the Nitecore, I'm still using one myself, but if I were buying one tomorrow, I would buy the LUC. I have not even looked at the Xtar series, so they may be good as well. When I got my Nitecore, it was leaps and bounds better than the 2 bay Trustfire I was using (STAY AWAY FROM TRUSTFIRE). Like everything else, if the Nitecore suits your needs, then go with it.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am super impressed by this device. The puff counter, the soft to high setting of your draw, being able to flip the screen 180 degrees so people like me who hold it with the fire button away from you the display is the right way up, the puff counter, connecting it to my phone via bluetooth and seeing realtime information on my phone such as voltage, puff time, and it saving all the info to my phone of usage, so I can see how much I have used. Around 230 pufffs so far, I realised my puffs are 3-4 seconds as it has a timer on puffs, still have around half battery/just under.

I am going to install windows now to use the app so I can update it.

Also the subtank clones came today, they are either the best clones I have ever seen, or factory seconds. They work like a dream, and even the packaging has everything included, and is a copy of the real box, includes the whole package with little blue screwdriver, two OCC coils that work, and an RBA which I am currently using. It does not leak at all, me and my fiancee love them.

But the SMOK Xcube 2 has me amazed. I have not even tried TC yet, but I will do later or tommmorow, at the moment I am having fun in wattage mode with the subtank. I like it even more than my lemo V2, no lie, and it cost me £9.50.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I am super impressed by this device. The puff counter, the soft to high setting of your draw, being able to flip the screen 180 degrees so people like me who hold it with the fire button away from you the display is the right way up, the puff counter, connecting it to my phone via bluetooth and seeing realtime information on my phone such as voltage, puff time, and it saving all the info to my phone of usage, so I can see how much I have used. Around 230 pufffs so far, I realised my puffs are 3-4 seconds as it has a timer on puffs, still have around half battery/just under.

I am going to install windows now to use the app so I can update it.

Also the subtank clones came today, they are either the best clones I have ever seen, or factory seconds. They work like a dream, and even the packaging has everything included, and is a copy of the real box, includes the whole package with little blue screwdriver, two OCC coils that work, and an RBA which I am currently using. It does not leak at all, me and my fiancee love them.

But the SMOK Xcube 2 has me amazed. I have not even tried TC yet, but I will do later or tommmorow, at the moment I am having fun in wattage mode with the subtank. I like it even more than my lemo V2, no lie, and it cost me £9.50.
Lots of great info there! Where did you find the cheap SubTank clones? Glad to hear you like them, but I'm a little surprised you like them more than the Lemo 2, I've heard great things about it!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lots of great info there! Where did you find the cheap SubTank clones? Glad to hear you like them, but I'm a little surprised you like them more than the Lemo 2, I've heard great things about it!
I got them from fasttech, they was the top priced clones, but even the box is a clone, with a cloned hologram on the box and code. My lemo is great, but at the moment it seems like I am actually getting more flavour from the subtank clone! Honestly they are great, they came with two OCC coils, the newer RBA, the blue screwdriver, even the bag inside holdind the cotton and screws has kanger on it.

I tried temp control, a little confused. I could choose temp, but not wattage, so at around 250C it would get to there within about two seconds, then say temp limit or something similar, and stop outputting vapour. I bought the mod as a 160W mod box mainly, the temp control is a bonus, but not being able to set watts or joules seems strange. I can choose soft, mid, normal, High, and hard (I think thats the order/names) but nothing else.

Soft uses less power for the first 2 seconds then goes full, normal works straight to your wattage/ temp, High/hard puts out 10% more than you have set for 2 seconds, then back down to normal.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@conanthewarrior,
I seem to remember people saying you had to go into the program (on your phone iirc) and change a setting (coefficient setting) for TC to operate properly. See post 53 in this thread.

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a blurb from a review I just read:

"Important Tip!

Changing the temperature coefficient:

The temperature coefficient is automatically set at 0, so you will need to change this depending on what type of wire you are using in your RDA or atomizer.

If you are using Ni200 (nickel) then the temperature coefficient is around 0.006 so the slider needs to be changed to this setting. If you leave the temperature coefficient as it is, the device won’t work correctly in temperature control mode; at least it didn’t for me.

If you are using Titanium wire, then the temperature coefficient is 0.0038, so slide the slider up to this setting.

When you select your vape in temperature control mode it will actually give you the temperature coefficient on the device, but unfortunately it doesn’t change it automatically to match the coil you are using despite selecting either nickel or titanium. It then has to be done on the app, which is a bit of a pain.

That was the only thing I used the app for and everyone will need to do this if they want the temp control to work properly. Please make sure you have a phone or tablet that has the required operating system!"

Here's the link to the review:
http://vaping360.com/smok-x-cube-ii-review/

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Steve

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

"Important Tip!

The temperature coefficient is automatically set at 0, so you will need to change this depending on what type of wire you are using in your RDA or atomizer.

If you are using Ni200 (nickel) then the temperature coefficient is around 0.006 so the slider needs to be changed to this setting. If you leave the temperature coefficient as it is, the device won’t work correctly in temperature control mode; at least it didn’t for me.

If you are using Titanium wire, then the temperature coefficient is 0.0038, so slide the slider up to this setting.

When you select your vape in temperature control mode it will actually give you the temperature coefficient on the device, but unfortunately it doesn’t change it automatically to match the coil you are using despite selecting either nickel or titanium. It then has to be done on the app, which is a bit of a pain.

That was the only thing I used the app for and everyone will need to do this if they want the temp control to work properly. Please make sure you have a phone or tablet that has the required operating system!"

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Steve
You are actually a legend. I didn't know how to get titanium working.

So I just leave it on nickel (as I can't seem to change it) and set the coefficient to 0.0038?

I don't really understand what a coefficient is, but as long as I can get everything working, that is great.

I am having trouble with bootcamp though, the disc I have is reading as a windows 7 install disc, as thats all my mac suppports up to (2010 model macbook pro) and last night I spent hours partitioning, installing windows support files, for it to end with a 'please insert a windows 7 disc' AHHHHH it is f'ing windows 7 SP1!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh FFS. I installed windows on my mac. Installed the beta installer, and it comes up invalid chip ID when I try to upgrade.

Anyone else had this issue?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, after spending hours installing windows on my mac, the software updater comes up with an error, "Chip not recognised" so I can't update it.

It is a Beta updater, is there an updater past Beta stage without bugs like this? I am on version 1.08, I want to upgrqade to 1.092.

This was one of the main reasons I got this mod, easy firmware upgrades, and that does not work. The other feature that interested me, bluetooth, to adjust settings from my phone, works perfectly though.

It works fine on 1.08, but I want the latest firmware as advertised, easy upgrades.

Last edited:

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Looks like they pulled 1.092 from their site.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While I was looking for the earlier information, I remember reading other people couldn't get the beta updater working either. Must be a bug in it, guess that's why it's a Beta. I'm sure someone who owns the mod can confirm this.

On another front, I believe the coefficient setting is another way of saying the TCR . Basically telling the mod what the resistance change will be as the temperature rises. Good luck @conanthewarrior

Cheers,
Steve

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You CAN change the coefficient without a cellphone, but you need the new firmware, and the TC for Titanium, and Stainless needs to be initialy activated with the Smok app. Once thats done, you shouldn't need the phone, all the menus are on the mod.

I couldn't get the beta updater to wowk, but the old one works fine.

harpo1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You CAN change the coefficient without a cellphone, but you need the new firmware, and the TC for Titanium, and Stainless needs to be initialy activated with the Smok app. Once thats done, you shouldn't need the phone, all the menus are on the mod.

I couldn't get the beta updater to wowk, but the old one works fine.
Only problem is they pulled the old updater and no link to new firmware from their site.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok. Just did the update from 1.091 to 1.092, according to the start up screen, it has reverted back to 1.091, with the added bonus of wiping out my temp control for Titanium and Stainless I paid those fuckers for.

Smok, FIX YOUR SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the new 1.092, but I don't recommend it. PM me if you want it.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Temp Control on stainless didn't work. That was why I tried the upgrade, now there is no more option for Stainless OR Titanium.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As far as I can tell, this mod cannot do TC on stainless. Don't know about nickle or Tittanium. If you are considering this mod because you want TC on stainless as I did, don't buy it.

At least not yet. It works otherwise in wattage mode, but I feel cheated by Smok.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the new 1.092, but I don't recommend it. PM me if you want it.
Ok, I will stay on 1.08 as TC works fine on nickel, and chaging the coefficient to the recommended settings with TI as well.

I bought it as a 160W mod box, TC is a bonus/gimmick to me. But the things people think are gimmicky, are actually what I like about it. Bluetooth to my phone to change settings much easier for example, but I am Pissed off the beta installer does not work and says my chip is invalid.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as I can tell, this mod cannot do TC on stainless. Don't know about Kanthal or Tittanium. If you are considering this mod because you want TC on stainless as I did, don't buy it.

At least not yet. It works otherwise in wattage mode, but I feel cheated by Smok.
Do you have a older version of the installer that is not in BETA mode? As I can't update with the beta software, it says 'unrecognised chip ID' and won't allow me to update.

I am doing it correctly with the batteries out and holding fire when connecting, I just get this error message.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Managed to get it upgraded to 1.092. I used the old utility, after using the new beta. The new beta will download the 1.092 .hex file into its directory, just point the old update tool to that file/directory. It boots up now showing 1.092,.

Be aware that doing this updade will wipe out your purchased optional Titanium and Stainless options. Very aggravating.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have to go to work, but I will put the files someplace for download when I'm back.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Managed to get it upgraded to 1.092. I used the old utility, after using the new beta. The new beta will download the 1.092 .hex file into its directory, just point the old update tool to that file/directory. It boots up now showing 1.092,.

Be aware that doing this updade will wipe out your purchased optional Titanium and Stainless options. Very aggravating.
On mine there is no titanium or stainless option, I think you have to set the coeffivient yourself don't you? I am on 1.08 and have not seen any option, so I will not be losing anything, I can not find the original installer though.

The beta one does not work. It says 'invalid chip ID' then allows me no further, and I followed their instructions to a T.

Also, what percentage have you people set your batteries to cut off at? Mine is standard at 10%, but I was thinking maybe that is too much, or is that a low batery warning when you are near to minimum safe voltage, and not actually like 2.7volts?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I figured it out woop! On 1.91 right now. That was so easy and quick.

I didn't go for 1.92 due to the titanium and stainless issue, so thought go one behind.

I loaded it into the installer, connected with no battery's, pressed start, and it did it in about 5 seconds. I thought surely not. I put the batteries back in, and I am on 1.91.

Happy is not the word, thank everyone that has helped, especially one bad wolf.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, one last thing. What do you all have your battery warning set to? mine is 20%, not 10 like I thought, but it is the minimum. Is 20% a safe limit to go too? I can go all the way from 20% low battery to 90% low battery warning, which is quite cool.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh the manual is no help in that regard lol, it did not tell me how to load a .hex file and what type of flash to perform, had to work that out myself lol.

I found out the soft-hard settings using the bluetooth app at 30 watts.

Max sets it to 35 watts for 2 seconds, then drops to 30, Hard sets it to about 33.5-8 for 2 seconds, then to 30, regular is straight to 30, Min is 25 watts for 2 seconds, then to 30 watts, and soft is around 27.10 for 2 secs, then up to 30 watts.

Found that out using the phone app, as the instructions only included soft, regular and hard, not the other 2 modes. Soft and hard lowers and highers by 10%, I guess the lowest and highest is closer to 20 percent for the first two seconds.

It is so easier to change the LED colour on the phone too, there is a colour wheel you choose from, instead of setting `RGB from 255 to 0 for each colour, guessing until you get your correct colour. On the app you can just choose it straight away.

Got my first low battery warning today, was the set of VTC4's I was not sure of, but they lasted the same as my known genuines.

I did notice at around 50 watts it steps up to around 7.2 volts, and does not step up any more right up to the full wattage. I do not know if this changes with different ohm builds, as I have a 0.78 in there at the moment.

The 25R's are OK at this level up to arounf 120 watts, then over that the VTC4's can handle it fine. I do understand the pulse rating though, and will very rarely go to that high, I took it to 140 just to test it. F me, that was HOT VAPE, but it was not dry, but I will be sticking to my usual 80 watt max, 60 watt usual, 100 watts pushing it.

I realised I never had the stainless or titanium option as I had not bought them lol.

I will buy them later, even though I am pretty sure you can choose nickel and change the co efficeient?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, yes... I forgot about that. What do they want, a couple of quid? Pissers.
It's 99 cents for steel and 49Cents for titanium, I am pretty sure you can do it yourself with the guide in this thread changing the coefficient to work with other metals.

That is only about a pound though in Uk money, think how often you drop a nugget or 2 or just buy a bag of crisps and a drink-thats more than a pound. Or fruit machines. I am not a big gambler, but I sometime put a fiver in a fruity, and it sometimes comes back double or triple, but 3/4'ths the time I just lose £5, so I don't see just over a quid as too expensive really, it is already set up for NI200 TC so is a TC device, but I will unlock the others, that was my reason for not installing 1.092 and I went for 1.091 as people are noticing the option has been remove in 1.092, and they have payed for them.

I guess next revision will be rushed out to fix it. Also I did not like the way the start up screen will show an error, but they say ' do not worry, the device will work as normal', well it works, but not with all options, so I am one firmware revision behind.

I will wait for a few more firmware revisions then update, like I don't want to be a beta tester as soon as they release (Even though I have done that with the Sig 75, IPV D2, and Xcube 2, but luckily these all work great. The IPV D2 has one minor issue we all know about, but the workaround is so simple its almost moot. I regularly take the IPV D2 out with a tank, as it is so small, second choice is the Sig75, they both last the day, but the D2 used at the same wattage seems to have more battery left, I think it must be a lot more efficient than sigeleis chip).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't know they were updating piecemeal, I had read elsewhere (users forum I think) that it was a single $3 in-app purchase, so I figured 2 pound. Pretty close.
Yeah you can choose which ones you want to add to your device. Tommorow I will definitely add Titanium, and also Stainless steel, but before I do this, is stainless steel as safe as Kanthal and NI200?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh they have changed the shortcuts! Before fire and right button was min, soft regular hard and max, and fire and left was change modes. Now it turns stealh onn and off and the led on or off.

Edit: Hmm, its changed back now. No idea what happened there.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

"Important Tip!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Steve
I can only change the coefficienct to a minimum of 0.004000, not 0.0038000, any idea whats hapenning here? Is it because I have not yet payed to unlock TI and stainless steel?

Will an tiny change in the coeficient difference even matter, and the Titanium seems to be working fine, I guess I need to unlock it then it allows the co efficient to be adjusted more from my phone.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, I MIGHT be able to clear this up a bit.
In order for the in app purchase to be able to activate temp control for SS and Ti, you need to have the 91 software. I upgraded my software, and found a guy who's phone was able to connect to my mod. He has an X Cube 2 as well. I gave him $5 to cover his Paypal to Smok, and bingo! My mod now, when in TC mode, showed the options for SS single or dual coil, and Ti single or dual coil.

I have no idea if the Ti worked, I have no Ti wire, but the SS Temp control was a huge fail. Pissed!! I found out yesterday that there is a new firmware update, 92 that is supposed to make SS work. However, the Big Brains at Smok did not provide the actual 92 firmware binary, It was removed from their site along with the old update tool.

As we all know, the new "beta" update tool dosn't do shit as far as updating. What it DOES do, is manage to download the new firmware into it's directory. Using the old util, I pointed it to the new 92 hex file, and it did the update. Device powers on with the 92 firmware. Sucess.

HOWEVER!!!, the in-app upgrade I paid Smok for, is no longer active. The menu for SS and Ti are gone. Until I find sombody else with a smartphone that can connect to my mod, and who will allow me to install the Smok app on their phone, and then pay Smok AGAIN for a feature that never worked to start with, only then will I know if it pulls another fail on SS TC or if it works.

My advice FWIW. Do not change any coefficients, and do not do the in app upgrade until Smok fixes their shit. I have noticed no problem with the 92 firmware, and it seems to have stabilized the battery meter issue.

I have emailed Smok customer support, and heard exactly nothing back from them.PISSED!!! Furthermore, as of the time I write this, I have not heard even one report of this mod actually functioning as far as TC on SS is concerned.

Therefore, I would suggest do the firmware updates, but do not activate the in app purchase for TC on SS and or Ti until there are some verified reports that Smok has fixed their shit.

Time for Din Din.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have payed 49 Cents to unlock the Titanium TC, and am on firmware version 1.091, not 1.092 due to it going missing in that one.

I have payed in the smok app, it is connected via bluetooth, clicked upgrade and it said Success!

Only thing is, I go into TC mode, and TC settings, and I cant seem to find TI, only NI200?

How exactly do I change mode? I wanted the Titanium build as I prefer Ti, but I DID find the temp coefficient on the device, which allows a lot more adjustment than the smartphone app.

If I just change the coefficient to the one for titanium, will it work with titanium correctly?

Also, how do I bloody find titanium on it?

EDIT: Sorted, I had to buy the stainless steel as well for it to allow me to select it.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Really? I thought Nitecore was generally third out of the top 3 regarded chargers.
Xtar then Efest then Nitecore. Could have that reversed of course.

Oh BTW, I have the LUC V4 (and a single bay XSmart) and they're just fine. I do like the status info displays as well.
I honestly did not know this. It was recommended as one of the best on a flashlight forum for me. Oh well, the I2 works fine, and I have ordered the D4 now, so I have the third best. As long as it charges my batteries safely, I am happy.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right, I have a dual coil titanium build in. Temperature coefficient DID change itself to 0.00350. Should I still change it to 0.00380?

It seems to be working OK. I just don't know if the coefiicient needs changing, as mine changed itself from 0.00600 to 0.00350.

Edit: Ok, It works great for around 10 pulls at 290C, but then the coil is already hot, and reaches the temp limit as soon as I fire, and it produces hardly any vapour.

It was prouducing massive clouds at first, but now it is up to temperture, it produces the same amount as an ego battery with a crappy tank.

Any Ideas? As I guessed 290C will be well enough to vapourise, so if it is constantly at that temp, it should surely produce the same vapour? But it is not?

EDIT 2: You can call me top bellend from now on. I was using a dripper. Due to the TC I was getting no burnt hits, but it just needed a re drip. Brain fart moment or what. Works perfectly. Still not sure wether to change the coefficient from 0.00350 to 0.00380, it seems such a small difference though is it worth doing? Mine actually chose 0.00350 when I selected titanium, others have said it does not do this? Maybe I lucked out and mine does change it. It changed itself from 0.00600 to 0.00350 when I chose Ti from NI.

Edit 3: Ok, the TI works, but only from 280 degrees C and above, below that there is no vapour production. So I can only adjust by 30 degrees Celscius.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Managed to get Ti and SS activated on .92. Will update here with my findings.
Nice man. I am using it on .91 at the moment, titanium is good for the first 5 pulls when it hits temp, drops a bit, heats again, and produces vapour, but after around 5 hits I re juice and I get less than a fart in the winds worth of vapour, and that is at 300C.

I thought the coil being that hot would be enough to produce vapour, so either it is hitting a lower temperature and it tries to keep it at that, or TC just sucks. Not sure which yet, as my Sig is the same, so I just think maybe TC sucks. Or its meant for use with a 30 second or so break between puffs.

EDIT: Forgot to say, on my D2, temp control DOES actually work. I think It is where you set your own wattage/joules (I know you do on the sig too though), or maybe its because I just use kanthal nearly all the times and test out TC every week or so as a test.

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On my IPV3 Li, I don't have that problem. I'm using Ni200 at 420F, 25-30J. It stays consistent throughout the whole tank.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok. Has taken some fiddeling. That is quite an understatement actually, like saying petting a burning cat is not recommended. However, I am pleased to report TC on SS is working!!!

I'm running a TFV4 tank with the TF-R2 Dual Coil RBA, 22 Gauge 304 stainless @ 0.09 Ohm. TC is set @ 410F,

Vaping the tank bone dry, I have noticed a wierd chirp. It's at a fairly high squeaky frequency, and I'm not sure if its coming fron the out of juice atty, or the mod. Only lasts about a quarter second on the inhale, might be the dry wick acting like a reed, I don't know. Will re-wick and see.

Now I *like* fiddeling, but between all the fuckery with the firmware, the "beta"update util that was more buggy than an an ant farm, the ill concieved app in which Smok has tried to incorporate everything from Facebook to a function that will allow the NSA to track my precise vaping locations, the double dipping of charging me TWICE for "upgrades" that should have been included, and the sheer degradation of my being forced to either upgrade my phone or as I chose to do beg the use of of a friends Iphone, The same friend who smugly maintained a stream of reminders about how I have on so many occasions made disparaging comments about Iphones, and their users. Then then there was the whole Kafkaesque experience of creating a PayPal account just to re-pay for the same feature. The Horror. The Horror.

I have decided that I still think the X Cube 2 is a great mod. I do plan at some point visiting China to fulfill the mission of finding the little bastard who has forced me through the rings of hell to get this working, and kicking him in the balls so hard, he will have fuzzy earlobes. Whover wrote the manual, and thought it was in any way sufficient, had better make peace with his or her God/Gods. (always VERY important to be politacally correct, and sensitive in these matters).

Not what I would recommend as a first regulated mod, or a mod for anybody with anything less than a very high frustration threshold, if you are anticipating using the TC on SS.

I don't even know if I will use the TC, but knowing it can be done, despite all the naysayers tips the scale in Smoks favor from my perspective. I am after all willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Last edited:

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK all, I've been on the fence about the X Cube 2 and all the discussion hear makes me even more leery. The big question is, drum roll please, after all the trials and tribulations you've had, would you buy it again???

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
@OneBadWolf thanks for documenting all of your trials and tribulations. I do hope you get to take that hunting trip to China and fulfill your mission, if for no other reason than to read about it here. :D

That said, *IF* they had not tied all the adjustments into a phone app, and had given me the ability to do everything from the mod itself, I might actually consider picking up one of these based on your descriptions. The deal breakers for me are the absolute requirement to run an app on my phone to adjust my mod, and the additional cost, no matter how little, to enable functionality that I can get in other mods for "free". Especially since you are the living proof that if something goes wrong, you have to pay for these features again. It almost sounds like a steady revenue stream if you have to repurchase the features every time they come out with a new "update", although that just may be the cynic in me... :oops:

Reactions: Myk

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK all, I've been on the fence about the X Cube 2 and all the discussion hear makes me even more leery. The big question is, drum roll please, after all the trials and tribulations you've had, would you buy it again???

Hangs head.... Yes, at this point I would.

Even with the crap, just as a 160 watt regulated mod,for the $65 they are selling for, they are massive value per watt. You don't need anything other than the mod as it comes out of the box to have a very decent TC in Nickle mod. Unless you intend to "upgrade" to TI, SS or both (and considering the hassel, I upgraded to both even though I cannot ever forsee using Ti) you do not need the smartphone app for anything, all the features are acessable from within the mod.

If I needed a cell with BT4 to operate or configure the mod, I would not recommend it, but having done the upgrade, I don't ever forsee using that horrid little app again, The only change other than the upgrades that it offered that can't be done from the mod that I did, is gave it a different BT 4 name, and I could definatly have lived without that, as my Bluetooth is off all the time now.

The issue with the sticking firebar is a QC fail, but simple fix. As far as the fuckery goes....... he he he..... I have a pristine copy of the .92 firmware, BEFORE the Ti,SS upgrade. I will be comparing my upgraded .92 firmware against the pristine .92 firmware. If there are differences, I would bet that if anyone loaded a copy of my "upgraded" firmware onto their X Cube, it would enable the upgrades. I can't see them having a seperate eprom for identity.... Stay tuned.

And lastly but by far most important, the X Cube has mesmerising LEDs on the fire bar!!!! How could anybody not love that??

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for your response, that says a lot about the device. Love wicked laugh about the fuckery plan. ;) Aaaaand, who can resist the mesmerizing LEDs. :rolleyes::D

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok. My personal Vaping Guru, and Trusted Reviewer, the Vaping Bogan has done a STELLAR review of this device.

Do not let his improvisational profanity put you off, this cunt says fuck a lot, but he is massivly knowlegable, and has likely forgotten more about vape gear than half the people in this forum, including myself, will ever know.

So.... Until Project Smok Firmware Fuckery Mayhem is an actual thing, I'll deferr any questions to the Esteemed Bogans review.

VU Sponsors