PSA: Wismec RX Gen 3 510 is not fixed. Explanation and 510 pins explained

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All,

I'm currently working on a review for the RX gen 3 but as since it's not ready i felt it important to get this warning out to potential buyers. I also felt it important to explain exactly why.

I'm gonna start off by saying i was actually sent the mod for review from elementvape.com they wanted me to be able to check the 510 pin and see if it's fixed, I really appreciate that as it seems many reviewers can't tell a good 510 from a bad or just don't want to say anything negative about such a large company. I also wanted to take this opportunity to discuss 510 pins.

So lets start off with what exactly is a "510 pin" on a mod it's basically a generic term for the connection we use from the mod. "510" is a measurement that has become the standard size for vaping mods and atomizers. Now what makes up the 510 pin?

1st you have the "positive side" this is usually done via a plate with a nub that sticks up in the middle or a pin that has the positive wire soldered onto it and has a spring to allow it to have a range of depth to accommodate different lengths of 510 pins. The positive makes contact with the positive pin of the atomizer to make a connection. Ideally you want a strong spring that has a lot of throw or "depth" this will allow you to use both long and short 510 pin atomizers while maintain a good connection

then you have the "negative or ground" side. this is the threading part that the atomizer screws into. The positive and negatives are separated by insulators.

OK now that we know what makes up a 510 pin, lets talk about how it should be. The 510 is an important part of the circuit. like any circuit you want a few things. you want a good connection all around. To complete the circuit the positive load wire needs to be soldered or secured very well to the positive pin/plate and the ground wire off the chip needs to be soldered or secured to the ground (510 threading on the 510 pin) to complete the circuit.

next is the securing of the ground of the 510 pin. there are a few ways to accomplish this

1) press fit - this is the worst way possible as we seen with the predator

2) glue/epoxy - while not ideal, it should work fine as long as the user isn't wrenching down on the atomizer or dropping the mod

3) screwed down - this is an ideal way. seen on a lot of higher end mods the 510 pin is physically screwed into the body of the mod

4) locked in place under the enclosure - usually done with glue or press fit as well but by putting it under the enclosure it won't be able to pop out, not ideal but it'll work

5) secured from inside with locking nut - this is an ideal way for sure. using a locking nut to screw in the 510 ensures it isn't going to move or pop out under any circumstance

1 is bad, 3 and 5 is ideal, 2 and 4 are acceptable

Now lets talk about the importance of a solid circuit with a good ground. You need a solid ground because of the nature of the mods. the mods need to read really low resistances accurate and be able to adjust it's output (especially in temp control) without a solid ground that can't be done. The best way of explaining is if you put a build into an atomizer but don't screw down the negative post screw on the coil you'll see your resistance jump. that's why most atomizers made the transition to grub screws for a solid connection.

A good example of an ideal 510 pin can be seen here
zxrqEFM.png
from my vfeng review. as you can see in the pic the positive wire is soldered onto the positive pin, the ground wire is run from the chip's ground to the ground of the 510 pin and soldered on. positive and ground are separated by insulators and the 510 pin itself is secured from the inside via a locking nut.

Now this brings me to the wismec RX gen 3. as you can see here
Zlh5hXG.png
in the DJLsb teardown there is no ground to the 510 pin. So then you may as, how does the chip ground itself? the chip grounds itself by contacts at the bottom of the chip and uses the body of the mod as a ground wire. This is an extremely bad and inefficient design compared to running a simple ground wire. So lets talk about the issues that it causes

Much like when your build isn't secured in your RBA correctly, it causes resistance to jump around. jumping resistance leads to incosistent output and poor temp performance. Now you may think shouldn't the mod throw up errors? well 1st off it does. "atomizer short" and "getting kicked out of temp control" are 2 errors caused by this. Now it doesn't happen all the time right? True but from my talks with the arctic fox devs wismec/joyetech is so aware of the issue, that they built a tolerance into the firmware to ignore it. AF didn't do that which caused to their forums being flooded with "atomizer short" issues that "didn't happen with stock firmware" i believe they have since added it in their firmware as well due to all the issues. i'm not 100% on it. last i spoke with them, they were considering it. They even made guides about adding a ground wire like this one here
yndNtkU.png
here is a few more posts from AF devs explaining the issue of the poor grounding here
fPUz8zt.png
here
8dSaxHP.png
and biggest one here
eUlyoI1.png
where they say there firmware makes mods worse due to the poor grounding. and they thanked me for trying to bring it to people's attention.

Just in case people don't know who AF is, they are the developers of a free firmware for many joyetech (and sub brands) mods that provide a DNA like feature set to the chip. They disassembly the mods to understand the chips and make firmware for them. really smart dudes and really nice people as well. I have nothing but the utmost respect and love for what they do.

So now lets discuss why joyetech mods kick you out of temp control. It's a built in protection. in temp control the way most mods work is by reading the resistance of the coil, as TC wire coils heat up, their resistance rises. it uses the change in resistance to calculate the approx temp. The reason you get booted is due to poor grounding, the resistance drops when you fire it. this makes the chip kick you out of temp control to protect you. Anytime a joyetech mod kicks you out of temp control (as long as it isn't your atomizer actually shorting due to a bad build) it's due to poor grounding and is an instant indicator of a bad ground and hence bad 510 pin. This info is from the AF devs. I'm no firmware expert but i trust their information. and they are firmware experts. hell they made firmware and a software suite that surpasses any actually manufacturer except maybe evolv and even that's debatable.

So even though i haven't done my formal review of the RX Gen 3 yet i wanted to issue this warning not to purchase it. I see too many "510 is fixed" comments from reviewers and vapers and it's all BS. I've seen people focus on the depth of the 510 and say it's fixed after pushing down on it a few times. it's an absolute joke and ignores what is the real issue which is the lack of a proper grounding. No way should any reviewer have given this mod a pass, and it's a real shame too because i love the size and form factor of it. 1 little 50 cent piece of wire would have made it a great mod

I hope you all find this useful and pass along the information as well, If you have any other questions please AMA I'll do my best to answer them.

UPDATE: 08-17-17 here http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...n-and-510-pins-explained.348237/#post-1857052

Last edited:

XX_Fallen_XX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn it. I had high hopes that Wismec would do the right thing and listen to the people.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
The mod is grate so far, Im using it for 2-3 weeks.

I really respect the OP, but maybe it is too early to say if it is good or bad 510.

Did you disassemble it yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The mod is grate so far, Im using it for 2-3 weeks.

I really respect the OP, but maybe it is too early to say if it is good or bad 510.

Did you disassemble it yourself?

Not to be rude but if u read the whole post you'll clearly see why its bad lol

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Not to be rude but if u read the whole post you'll clearly see why its bad lol

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I read it several times actually. I also noticed resistance drop when using coil under .2. But for 50 bucks I cant think of anything better. What about other 50$ mods, do they have dedicated negative cable going to the 510?

Just tried .18 coil, the resistance drop significantly to .14 and goes to Power mode.

I bought this mod few days after the release date for 55€. It is the smallest and best looking in my opinion 3 battery mod out there. In this price range I dont think that there is something better. Lets hope that Gen3 DNA will fix the issue. If not, soldering the 510 takes nonlonger than 5 minutes.

iVape524

Member For 4 Years
While I appreciate the PSA and understand fully why the 510 isn’t the best on the gen three, I’ve been enjoying mine and don’t do temp control at all. That being said, for a 3 battery mod I love the form factor and the performance on the tanks I’ve used on it. To be fair I also have a fuchai 213 that I’ve been using for quite a while in watt mode knowing full well its limitations and it’s also been great. I think certain people will benefit from this information while others will live in ignorant bliss with this mod and will only care that the 510 won’t pop off and that it has enough travel to accept all tanks without much of a gap as pointed out by DJLSV in his review.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the chip grounds itself by contacts at the bottom of the chip and uses the body of the mod as a ground wire. This is an extremely bad and inefficient design compared to running a simple ground wire.

I stopped reading right there. Using the body of the mod as the ground is the BEST possible arrangement, as it can pass a lot more current than any wire of any gauge. Many mods are set up like that - most notably, almost all mechs - with zero issues. Stating that a ground wire is better is just plain misinformed.

I'm sure Wismec, being Wismec, found plenty of ways to mess up just about everything else. But that is actually a good design decision.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I stopped reading right there. Using the body of the mod as the ground is the BEST possible arrangement, as it can pass a lot more current than any wire of any gauge. Many mods are set up like that - most notably, almost all mechs - with zero issues. Stating that a ground wire is better is just plain misinformed.

I'm sure Wismec, being Wismec, found plenty of ways to mess up just about everything else. But that is actually a good design decision.
Lol i stopped reading there. you can't compare a mech which puts out direct current from a battery, to a circuit of a DC-DC convertor that needs to read resistance accurately and stable and adjust output based on that. Also IDK if you know but many poor quality/designed mechs performed like shit as well. notably the panzer blackhawk (painted threads) and the Maraxus

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I read it several times actually. I also noticed resistance drop when using coil under .2. But for 50 bucks I cant think of anything better. What about other 50$ mods, do they have dedicated negative cable going to the 510?

Just tried .18 coil, the resistance drop significantly to .14 and goes to Power mode.

I bought this mod few days after the release date for 55€. It is the smallest and best looking in my opinion 3 battery mod out there. In this price range I dont think that there is something better. Lets hope that Gen3 DNA will fix the issue. If not, soldering the 510 takes nonlonger than 5 minutes.

Outside of joyetech and wismec, I've never seen a 510 not properly grounded. even the eleaf sub brand of wismec properly grounds their 510 pins from the one's i've seen so far

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Using the chassis as the ground circuit doesn't mean it's a good or bad circuit. Using a separate wire as the ground circuit doesn't mean it's a good or bad circuit. Either method can provide proper or improper electrical conductivity, but other factors have to be evaluated. Simply stating the ground is bad because the chassis is used is ignorant. It may have been poorly executed in this case, but that doesn't mean chassis grounding is 'bad'. You're spreading misinformation. And software guys don't always understand hardware as much as they would like to think. Good luck.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While I realize there is some risk with using just about any cheaply made mod or even expensive mods, Wismec's reputation is probably the worst for having problems that could potentially harm someone. Is it really worth taking anymore chances with such a company? My Predator sits in its box now where it will stay. Even though they sent me a replacement due to the 510 issue, nothing was changed to actually fix it and the replacement sometimes didn't fire which is a problem I didn't have with the one they replaced. Every time I would put it up to my mouth there was this little voice in my head telling me that something bad might happen. I didn't like that feeling and I don't want my face rearranged by Wismec. Now I just use my Therion and G2. I'll probably purchase a nice custom DNA sometime later this year when there are sales going on and that'll be it for me.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The device in question may be a complete piece of crap. Or not. Don't know, don't care. Just don't automatically think a mod or any other electronic device is junk because the chassis is used as the ground circuit.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just don't automatically think a mod or any other electronic device is junk because the chassis is used as the ground circuit.

If your response was meant for me, I was only referring to Wismec's reputation which hasn't been so good. As far as whether or not this particular Wismec device is a POS or not, I also couldn't care less since I won't be purchasing it. I've had two Wismec products. The first Predator in which the 510 came loose and the replacement which has firing issues...didn't use it long enough after that to give time for the 510 to have problems. Wismec lost me for good...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm just speaking to anyone reading this thread. Don't want folks thinking a certain grounding method, that's widely used in many, many products, is inherently flawed. It may be in this case, but......

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Update: 08-17-17

Hi all,

I wanted to further elaborate off the thread here about the wismec RX gen 3 510 pin. While the sentiment of the original is still 100 % correct (aka it sucks) there is a correction i wanted to make in one of the details, as well as go into further testing and respond to some comments so lets begin.

1st off I want to make a correction to somehting I wrote, cause for me it's not about being right or wrong, it's about providing correct information and I did make a mistake in 1 thing i said and I wanted to rectify that. what i originally said was

So now lets discuss why joyetech mods kick you out of temp control. It's a built in protection. in temp control the way most mods work is by reading the resistance of the coil, as TC wire coils heat up, their resistance rises. it uses the change in resistance to calculate the approx temp. The reason you get booted is due to poor grounding, the resistance drops when you fire it. this makes the chip kick you out of temp control to protect you"

the bolded part is actually incorrect. It works kinda the opposite way in a sense. I misunderstood what the AF devs said originall. WHat really happens, is due to the poor ground the mod reads resistance much lower then it actually is. much like if your coil was shorting on the chamber, what the firmware does to "hide" it is add resistance to your build. so for example say you put a .2 ohm build on your mod, the mod will read it at say .08 then add .13 to it (not sure of the exact numbers) and the screen shows it as a .21 which looks more then acceptable. in power mode it's pretty much ignored. the mod is built to hide the issues via firmware. the resistance the screen shows isn't what the mod is actually reading.

So now we get to, why does it kick you out of temp control? well temp control reads the actual resistance so if that ".08" can't surpass the fake starting point of ".21" the chip deems it that resistance isn't going up as it should and therefor kicks you out of temp control. I've actually spoke with DJL about this over the past few days and he said wismec says (and BTW it's not a private conversation he commented it on my video) that wismecs says the reason you get kicked out of temp control is because resistance isn't climbing fast enough. In reality they aren't lying but it's a half truth. The reason the resistance isn't climbing fast enough is due to that the starting resistance is faked from what the mod actually reads.

DJL actually tested it by adding in a ground (props to him for taking the extra effort) and still got kicked out, the reason being is even with a fixed ground, the firmware is designed to work with a poor ground and hence still kicks you out. A better ground should show the mod reading higher resistance in theory, but i have not tested it. installing a better ground and installing AF should remedy the issue.

If someone wanted to go the extra mile to test it, they could hook up a multimeter to the positive load wire at the chip and the ground terminal at the bottom of the chip and see how it differs from what the mod's screen is showing. and then fire it and see what the resistance actually is

So again, the fact they had to build this into the firmware, is proof alone that wismec knows it's a bad design. really there shouldn't be any more needed

Now that I got that cleared up, I do want to discuss a few other things.

1) I fully know that people who purchased and/or like the device will defend it. nobody is telling you how to spend your money or saying you can't personally like it. I can care less how people spend their money. Personally i love the size and comfort and battery life of the mod, but no way in hell can i put my name on a mod with poor grounding. and I think people should be aware of it before they spend their money. If they choose to still buy it, that's on them. Here is the underlying issue with that however, As long as people make excuses and continue to buy it, they will never improve. If they see that their poor 510 pins actually hurt sales, maybe they'll make better ones and then they would actually be good devices. So in essence making excuses actually hurts the overall quality of the brand in the long run and gives consumers less good options

2) I really didn't think I needed to explain the issues of poor grounding, I felt it was fairly obvious but i had some surprising comments. This is what I do, not for a hobby for a living. I've had engineers tell me i'm wrong only to have shit arc and melt weeks later causing a ton of damage. I've had journeymen electricians tell me "it'll be fine" cause they wanted to save a few bucks and wind up melting cable due to overloading the amps. I also know all the tricks to grounding in a pinch. I've used more grounding rods then you could imagine in my life LMAO. actually i installed solar at my house, got the plans improved, did the install, city was on board, utility company on board (since it's not a standalone it backfeeds the grid) only to have the final inspector request a 2nd grounding rod 6 feet from the 1st one lol. funny enough my neighbor did solar after me and used my design and it passed inspection with 1 ground rod. Hell there was an indicent a few years back where a journeyman electrician wired in temp power but backfed the grid that was supposed to be dead and the utility worker replacing the transformer down the line got electrocuted and died. all because the electrician wired in the temp power wrong. I honestly have stories upon stories of the shit I've seen and heard about. With that said, You can't compare a car or a mech to the circuit of a DC-DC convertor. it's apples and oranges. Some mechs with shitty threading or painted over threads actually perform like crap due to the voltage drop (panzer blackhawk and maraxus come to mind) the chip in these mods need to read resistance accurate and stable to put out smooth consistent voltage without being able to do so it'll never perform correctly. and in temp control forget about it lol. I already explained those issues above

So with all that said again please feel free to AMA in the comments

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Using the chassis as the ground circuit doesn't mean it's a good or bad circuit. Using a separate wire as the ground circuit doesn't mean it's a good or bad circuit. Either method can provide proper or improper electrical conductivity, but other factors have to be evaluated. Simply stating the ground is bad because the chassis is used is ignorant. It may have been poorly executed in this case, but that doesn't mean chassis grounding is 'bad'. You're spreading misinformation. And software guys don't always understand hardware as much as they would like to think. Good luck.
Not a software guy lol, also check the update i just posted

While I realize there is some risk with using just about any cheaply made mod or even expensive mods, Wismec's reputation is probably the worst for having problems that could potentially harm someone. Is it really worth taking anymore chances with such a company? My Predator sits in its box now where it will stay. Even though they sent me a replacement due to the 510 issue, nothing was changed to actually fix it and the replacement sometimes didn't fire which is a problem I didn't have with the one they replaced. Every time I would put it up to my mouth there was this little voice in my head telling me that something bad might happen. I didn't like that feeling and I don't want my face rearranged by Wismec. Now I just use my Therion and G2. I'll probably purchase a nice custom DNA sometime later this year when there are sales going on and that'll be it for me.
It's not dangerous by any means, nor was the predator. the exo skeleton however was

I'm just speaking to anyone reading this thread. Don't want folks thinking a certain grounding method, that's widely used in many, many products, is inherently flawed. It may be in this case, but......
How many DC-DC convertors use this method of grounding, don't compare apples to oranges. Most convertors are found in UPS systems, as someone who has personally worked on UPS systems not a single one lol

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I stand by my statements. I've been to multiple electronics schools and worked in the field for years. Proper grounding is extremely important. Saying something has a crap ground because the chassis is used is ignorant. Good luck.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I stand by my statements. I've been to multiple electronics schools and worked in the field for years. Proper grounding is extremely important. Saying something has a crap ground because the chassis is used is ignorant. Good luck.
Lol good luck yourself buddy. I'm glad your "schooling" has paid off meanwhile it's my career. Each device has different requirements. for a DC-DC convertor it is piss poor grounding. For say a generator I can shove a grounding rod in the dirt and connect a 14 gauge wire to it and be fine from the ground lug. It's all about the application once you get some experience you'll learn. For instance you know resistive load testing on 3 phase AC doesn't need a neutral? probably not, you learn that from experience not from schooling. Also to be pretty frank and no offense, I know of at least 3 posters who lied about what they do for a living claiming to be electrical engineers but clearly aren't. one of them ripped off a bunch of people as well. Also had a dude in my comments on my channel claim i was wrong and he was an "expert in electronics" mooch jumped in and said i was right and this guy argued that both myself and mooch were wrong. I'm not saying this to offend you or talk down, I'm saying it cause I know what i know and your not the 1st to try and "correct" something that isn't wrong and you won't be the last to do so either

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looks like I won't be doing a review on the mod anymore. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about 510s.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Looks like I won't be doing a review on the mod anymore. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about 510s.
still feel free to do a review lol. Don't let me stop you. If anything now you know more about the mod anyway ;)

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
still feel free to do a review lol. Don't let me stop you. If anything now you know more about the mod anyway ;)
Thanks for the encouragement! However, I would rather leave the review to you as you know so much more than I do in regards to the technical aspects of vaping. The extent of my review would simply be about my enjoyment of vaping on the setup and simple things like how long the coils lasted and whether it broke in any way.

Personally, I'm enjoying my Gen 3 and have not had one issue since purchasing it. It's too bad the 510 is no good so I'm just hoping that it will continue to work as it would be a $70 loss if it bricks.

Thanks again for sharing all about 510s. I'm bookmarking this page for future reference.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks for the encouragement! However, I would rather leave the review to you as you know so much more than I do in regards to the technical aspects of vaping. The extent of my review would simply be about my enjoyment of vaping on the setup and simple things like how long the coils lasted and whether it broke in any way.

Personally, I'm enjoying my Gen 3 and have not had one issue since purchasing it. It's too bad the 510 is no good so I'm just hoping that it will continue to work as it would be a $70 loss if it bricks.

Thanks again for sharing all about 510s. I'm bookmarking this page for future reference.
It'll work still, but just don't' expect it to be consistent. or work in TC mode at all. I would be interested in your thoughts on the gnome for sure. personally not liking it at all.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It'll work still, but just don't' expect it to be consistent. or work in TC mode at all. I would be interested in your thoughts on the gnome for sure. personally not liking it at all.
What don't you like about it? I'm really enjoying my Gnome. I get good flavor and vapor production out of it at the higher end of the wattage scale with both coil heads (70 watts with the WM02 and 100 watts with the WM03). I get good flavor with the WM02 but I much prefer the WM03 overall.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
What don't you like about it? I'm really enjoying my Gnome. I get good flavor and vapor production out of it at the higher end of the wattage scale with both coil heads (70 watts with the WM02 and 100 watts with the WM03). I get good flavor with the WM02 but I much prefer the WM03 overall.
Just the lack of flavor. the air feels restricted for such a high wattage. I haven't used it much in general. my 1st coil (WM02) burned out in 3 days, vaping it at 70 watts. Never got even decent flavor from it. Haven't tried the WM03 yet as i shifted focus on the mod and pretty soured on the whole ordeal but i'll try the WM03 soon as well for my review

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My WM02 lasted 1700~ puffs at 70 watts (no joke) and still had good flavor at the end. Maybe you got a bad coil head?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here is how the WM02 ended up looking like when I retired it:

IMG_0911[4837].JPG

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's not dangerous by any means, nor was the predator.

That may be true, but I still won't be purchasing anything else Wismec. They only care about the money they can keep raking in from consumers that keep purchasing their products because they look nice or feel good in the hand even though they've continued to have 510 and other quality issues now and in the past. Why keep spending money on products that are almost certain to have some problem or just fall apart.....makes no sense.

the exo skeleton however was

Yeah...that thing can seriously injure someone which brings me back to my point. Which of their upcoming new products will be dangerous? Nobody knows, so is Wismec worth the damn risk? There's no comfort for me in someone saying it was only one that was really dangerous....no thanks.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That may be true, but I still won't be purchasing anything else Wismec. They only care about the money they can keep raking in from consumers that keep purchasing their products because they look nice or feel good in the hand even though they've continued to have 510 and other quality issues now and in the past. Why keep spending money on products that are almost certain to have some problem or just fall apart.....makes no sense.

Yeah...that thing can seriously injure someone which brings me back to my point. Which of their upcoming new products will be dangerous? Nobody knows, so is Wismec worth the damn risk? There's no comfort for me in someone saying it was only one that was really dangerous....no thanks.
I agree about not buying them until they make a good mod for sure. hence the warning and hence why i was willing to review one. believe me I hold no ill will towards any company. they all have skeletons and shitty business ethics. As soon as wismec makes a good device i'll give it a thumbs up. But personally I won't buy one until it's an actual fixed and working good mod

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also to be pretty frank and no offense, I know of at least 3 posters who lied about what they do for a living claiming to be electrical engineers but clearly aren't.

Wow... As an engineer I do not know whether to be offended by some one claiming to be an engineer or someone who is not an engineer feeling that they are qualified to determine if someone else is over the internet.

the chip grounds itself by contacts at the bottom of the chip and uses the body of the mod as a ground wire. This is an extremely bad and inefficient design compared to running a simple ground wire.

It may be of interest to you, and others for that matter, that in critical transmission line applications, swaged connections are highly desirable in comparison to a soldered wire. Their implementation in the RX Gen3 may be horrific due to tolerances and the materials of the chassis but the theory behind the design is not to blame.

In closing please note that your continued pervasive contempt for Joyetech and Wismec mods is growing a little old. It is likely falling on deaf ears by now. In this industry someone continually referring to an average device as crap when far worse devices are given a pass can only be interpreted as bias. The reason does not matter. But as a retailer I am likely more qualified to speak about overall customer satisfaction and reliability issues than you. And although Wismec and Joyetech are far from the best they are also far from the worst. The worst mod to date in my significant experience is the Sense Blazer 200. Did you review it? It has a soldered ground wire for the 510 and a 70% defect rate within 90 days of ownership. With over half of those defects 510 related. Almost all domestic distributors have returned their stock to Sense. Those that haven't have the device on clearance. They all still carry plenty of the Wismec and Joyetech catalog. If "crap" is used to describe an average quality device what adjectives are left to describe a device like the Blazer 200? Maybe it is past time to temper your criticism here.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Wow... As an engineer I do not know whether to be offended by some one claiming to be an engineer or someone who is not an engineer feeling that they are qualified to determine if someone else is over the internet.

By determine you mean having them admit to me that they weren't or having them say that have 3 different careers to 3 different people (and not similar in any way lol)

It may be of interest to you, and others for that matter, that in critical transmission line applications, swaged connections are highly desirable in comparison to a soldered wire. Their implementation in the RX Gen3 may be horrific due to tolerances and the materials of the chassis but the theory behind the design is not to blame.

In closing please note that your continued pervasive contempt for Joyetech and Wismec mods is growing a little old. It is likely falling on deaf ears by now. In this industry someone continually referring to an average device as crap when far worse devices are given a pass can only be interpreted as bias. The reason does not matter.
LMAO yup i sure hate a company lol. could really care less man. I have mods from every manufacturer. i've spent hundreds on wismec/joyetech mods this year alone (predator, rx 300, primo, hedron)

But as a retailer I am likely more qualified to speak about overall customer satisfaction and reliability issues than you. And although Wismec and Joyetech are far from the best they are also far from the worst. The worst mod to date in my significant experience is the Sense Blazer 200. Did you review it? It has a soldered ground wire for the 510 and a 70% defect rate within 90 days of ownership. With over half of those defects 510 related. Almost all domestic distributors have returned their stock to Sense. Those that haven't have the device on clearance. They all still carry plenty of the Wismec and Joyetech catalog. If "crap" is used to describe an average quality device what adjectives are left to describe a device like the Blazer 200? Maybe it is past time to temper your criticism here.

So your a retailer and an engineer? LMAO spotted the shill lol. Customer satisfaction isn't my concern. I think we all konw based on questions we see, the average vaper isn't pretty ill informed compared to the hobbyists. My concern is taking a fair look at a product and providing information on it. A field in which i do with my money and my time for 0 financial gain as a service to the community. as far as the blazer goes i said my 1st one died in a matter of 2 weeks for no reason. and cited possible QC issues, not 510 related however just refused to turn on. used my replacement for 6 weeks no issues then did a review. it's not a great mod by any means, but it's one of the better triple mods and to be fair, triple mods outside the DNAs aren't that good at all. nobody is really nailed the "budget triple mod" Also I'd have to say the worst mod to date would be the exo skeleton since they literally exploded for no reason and wismec refused a recall, however all US sites refused to sell it and sent them back to wismec. You can still find them on china sites however. Maybe it's time for you to be more objective then think about what's hitting you in the wallet.

If you were around more, you'd see all the unhappy wismec/joyetech customers that frequent these forums. You literally haven't posted anything on this forum in 6 months but come back to defend wismec? sounds shady AF to me. Last time you posted was about issues with the CKS icon, which funny enough i spotted those issues as well and said them in my review. and even gave it pretty much a thumbs a down but please accuse me of hating CKS as well. might as well throw in dovpo i did rip the warlock z box and rogue but then i gave a good rec to the dovpo m VV. Or ijoy? I ripped the captain PD270 and the solo v 2 pro, but gave a great review to the maxo zenith. Soo the pattern? Yeah i don't favor any company it's just all about each device on an individual basis. But by all means please feel free to assume and lose more credibility.

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
I have .23 build on my TFV12. It is .23 on my ohm meter, my Smok alien, VTC Mini and GEN3. So the measurement is correct.

Seriously, is there something better for 55 bucks with 3 batteries out there?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have .23 build on my TFV12. It is .23 on my ohm meter, my Smok alien, VTC Mini and GEN3. So the measurement is correct.

Seriously, is there something better for 55 bucks with 3 batteries out there?

So you didn't read that the firmware fakes the resistance displayed on the screen. guess they do a good job lol. don't feel bad I was fooled too until speaking with the AF devs. and yes the zenith is half price and a much better performer albiet lacks features. also the fuchai duo 3 is better but sucks in temp control as well. at least it performs nice in power mode. Sadly triple battery mods are kinda the bastard child of vaping

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Ok, so lets assume that you are right and this is bad 510.

Is your mod kicking you out from TC when you use dual microcoils.

What if the only issue is that the FW kicks you out when the coil takes too long to heat?

Did you tried it with AF. They have released nightly build compatible with the Gen3?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ok, so lets assume that you are right and this is bad 510.

Is your mod kicking you out from TC when you use dual microcoils.

What if the only issue is that the FW kicks you out when the coil takes too long to heat?

Did you tried it with AF. They have released nightly build compatible with the Gen3?

The lack of a proper ground is enough for me to fail it, I didn't need to take it further. Sorry but I'm not "OK" with firmware trying to hide hardware issues. I've even posted the AF devs explaining why it's a poor ground and an issue. right form the devs so even if you don't want to believe me, then it also means you don't believe them either. both me and the AF devs provide a service to the community for free with our own money and time. we have 0 to gain either way. If you read there responses as well i posted in the OP it flat out states them thanking me for bringing it to people's attention.

I understand you just got the mod, your excited about it, you like it, i get it. nobody is telling you that you can't. But for me i need to be an objective reviewer and set standards of good and bad. While you may be happy with it, there are more picky people who would buy based on my rec and get mad at me for passing it with a shit ground, and personally i would feel like shit for doing that. I would feel like i failed as a reviewer and made a huge mistake. People trust my reviews because i give it to them straight with no BS. period. Sorry that it's not a good product but that's not my doing. I didn't build it or design it.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree about not buying them until they make a good mod for sure

But but... they never do :) How many faulty mods do Wismec have to put out to convince people they're simply incapable of making a good mod?

I really appreciate the effort you put into your detailed warning about this mod. But really the only necessary warning is contained in the mod's name: any vaper who does his research moderately well - i.e. reading real users' experience with the product, as opposed to watching paid adverts from Youtube reviewers - should steer clear the hell away from anything that has "Wismec" written on the box...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
But but... they never do :) How many faulty mods do Wismec have to put out to convince people they're simply incapable of making a good mod?

I really appreciate the effort you put into your detailed warning about this mod. But really the only necessary warning is contained in the mod's name: any vaper who does his research moderately well - i.e. reading real users' experience with the product, as opposed to watching paid adverts from Youtube reviewers - should steer clear the hell away from anything that has "Wismec" written on the box...
LMAO thanks and you'd think they know, but trust me i've been getting "attacked" for this quite a bit from wismec fans

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So my WM02 coil lasted a solid 8 days. My WM03 just lost all flavor only 1 1/2 days in. Bummer. Now I am using my BBB on top of the Gen 3.

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Just tested 3 different builds on the same RDA.

Ordinary .3 dual SS microcoil (spaced) - working flawlessly

SS Clapton - working

SS Staggered Fused Clapton - kicks me out of TC 99% of the time. There is .03 ohm resistance drop when fired.
It worked for once but at 150 degrees celsius the coils were glowing bright yellow:(

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So my WM02 coil lasted a solid 8 days. My WM03 just lost all flavor only 1 1/2 days in. Bummer. Now I am using my BBB on top of the Gen 3.
lol guess you got the janko WM03 coil and i got the janky WM02 lol

Honestly all the wismec and joyetech coils suck. your better off using the smok BBB coils in it or the eleaf hw coils in it. they are both much better. although funny enough my HW03 coil is janky and crap. the HW1 and HW2 were great, yet to try the HW4 but i will start using it today

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
lol guess you got the janko WM03 coil and i got the janky WM02 lol

Honestly all the wismec and joyetech coils suck. your better off using the smok BBB coils in it or the eleaf hw coils in it. they are both much better. although funny enough my HW03 coil is janky and crap. the HW1 and HW2 were great, yet to try the HW4 but i will start using it today
I'm considering buying an RTA (Moonshot) or RDA (Goon) to replace the Gnome. I have a set of Aliens just waiting for a home. :bliss:

moonshot_rta_by_sigelei_-_two-post_cover_1.jpg

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm considering buying an RTA (Moonshot) or RDA (Goon) to replace the Gnome. I have a set of Aliens just waiting for a home. :bliss:

View attachment 89642
2017 has had a ton of good RTAs. I'd probably look at that exo rta, captain rta, pharaoh rta, ammit 25 rta, reload rta, over the moonshot. i'm probably forgetting a few as well lol

VU Sponsors