Become a Patron!

PSA: Wismec RX Gen 3 510 is not fixed. Explanation and 510 pins explained

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The flavor on my BBB (0.2 ohm coil head) far surpasses the Gnome. Too bad ... I had high hopes for the Gnome. At least my Gen 3 works fine!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The flavor on my BBB (0.2 ohm coil head) far surpasses the Gnome. Too bad ... I had high hopes for the Gnome. At least my Gen 3 works fine!
yeah wasn't impressed with gnome coils. below average for sure

iVape524

Member For 4 Years
2017 has had a ton of good RTAs. I'd probably look at that exo rta, captain rta, pharaoh rta, ammit 25 rta, reload rta, over the moonshot. i'm probably forgetting a few as well lol
Not to derail the thread but have you tried the serpent smm? I’m pretty interested in that or the ammit 25. Can’t decide

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So your a retailer and an engineer?

Yes, I retired from one career after 27 years. Working for Fairchild Semiconductor, National Semiconductor, Seattle Semiconductor and Intel Corporation until the miniaturization curve crossed my aging curve. When you spent your career operating micro-probe equipment on silicone wafers until your eye sight declines and arthritis makes that nearly impossible you too might look for something else to do. And then the whole part of being the oldest person on the project team was getting old. And that self imposed career change didn't negate my Diplomas. After not working for 17 months I got bored. Hence the new career.

Customer satisfaction isn't my concern. I think we all konw based on questions we see, the average vaper isn't pretty ill informed compared to the hobbyists. My concern is taking a fair look at a product and providing information on it. A field in which i do with my money and my time for 0 financial gain as a service to the community. as far as the blazer goes i said my 1st one died in a matter of 2 weeks for no reason. and cited possible QC issues, not 510 related however just refused to turn on. used my replacement for 6 weeks no issues then did a review. it's not a great mod by any means, but it's one of the better triple mods and to be fair, triple mods outside the DNAs aren't that good at all. nobody is really nailed the "budget triple mod" Also I'd have to say the worst mod to date would be the exo skeleton since they literally exploded for no reason and wismec refused a recall, however all US sites refused to sell it and sent them back to wismec. You can still find them on china sites however. Maybe it's time for you to be more objective then think about what's hitting you in the wallet.

There you go. That explains a lot. When Road & Track reviews an automobile is it not geared towards consumer satisfaction? Sure, all of the in depth testing is presented but the article is written so that any individual, commuter or hobbyist will find the information that matters to them. If it wasn't they would have gone under years ago as their reviews would be of no value to the average person.

You said in your review that you received the mod from element vape. That contradicts your claim above about "my money and my time for 0 financial gain". So who has the credibility issue? Or are you sending it back after your review is completed?

Your experience with the Blazer 200 was a 50% failure rate. The Exo Skeleton had a few catastrophic failures. Catastrophic failures represent a greater liability to retailers and distributors and that is why it is gone. Not the failure rate. If a 50% (your experience) or 70% (my experience) failure rate makes for "one of the better" triple battery mods your definition of better is far different than most peoples. The only Wismec triple battery mod that had a double digit failure rate in my stores was the RX 2/3. The Blazer 200 was 5 times worse.

You responded to every part of my post except the technical information. Why?

If you were around more, you'd see all the unhappy wismec/joyetech customers that frequent these forums. You literally haven't posted anything on this forum in 6 months but come back to defend wismec? sounds shady AF to me. Last time you posted was about issues with the CKS icon, which funny enough i spotted those issues as well and said them in my review. and even gave it pretty much a thumbs a down but please accuse me of hating CKS as well. might as well throw in dovpo i did rip the warlock z box and rogue but then i gave a good rec to the dovpo m VV. Or ijoy? I ripped the captain PD270 and the solo v 2 pro, but gave a great review to the maxo zenith. Soo the pattern? Yeah i don't favor any company it's just all about each device on an individual basis.

I spend a great deal of time working in my stores and don't have time to frequent the forum as much as I would like. Just so happens that August is one of the slower months of the year for us and I have some free time to participate. Was directed to the Icon thread by google when doing a search to see if anyone else was having problems not killing time on the forum.

What you are missing from the equation is that there are more Wismec/Joyetech customers so of course there will be more complaints. I am not as much defending Wismec as pointing out that your reasoning was in fact flawed for your PSA. And you seem to be more critical of Joyetech/Wismec devices than other brands. I do not have any brand loyalty and use what I like. It just so happens I haven't used a Wismec device on a daily basis since retiring my original RX200 that was still working.

Not trying to start a pissing match here. But if you are going to do an in depth explanation of a problem it should in fact, be a problem. And if the best you can do when presented with dissent to your biased opinion is attack, then maybe you should stick to your day job. You wasted your time doing this and many have wasted their time responding. Pretty sure this post was a waste based on your track record with previous responses.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Sigh
Yes, I retired from one career after 27 years. Working for Fairchild Semiconductor, National Semiconductor, Seattle Semiconductor and Intel Corporation until the miniaturization curve crossed my aging curve. When you spent your career operating micro-probe equipment on silicone wafers until your eye sight declines and arthritis makes that nearly impossible you too might look for something else to do. And then the whole part of being the oldest person on the project team was getting old. And that self imposed career change didn't negate my Diplomas. After not working for 17 months I got bored. Hence the new career.

thats cool and all, and not calling you a liar, but several people have been caught lying about it. Not being here for 6 months and then coming to defend a mod all while claiming to be an electrical engineer and vape store owner, admittedly sounds fishy AF and i'm sure you can see that. also like any job there are good and bad people. I've corrected many engineers in my day. I'm not one myself cause i don't feel the need to lie about what i do, but i sure as shit have corrected mistakes made by them in drawings all the time. some couldn't even tell the difference from a distro panel to an ATS when i was telling him he had a distro panel where it should be an ATS. So again, the end all reasoning is simple if you are an engineer, you would know what I'm saying is true and hence not posted your comment.

There you go. That explains a lot. When Road & Track reviews an automobile is it not geared towards consumer satisfaction? Sure, all of the in depth testing is presented but the article is written so that any individual, commuter or hobbyist will find the information that matters to them. If it wasn't they would have gone under years ago as their reviews would be of no value to the average person.

I'd rather an educated vaper be happy with a good product then see an uneducated vaper think he's happy with a bad product. People don't know what they don't know. You know how many complaints we see on forums of bad advice from B&M shops? a ton. you should know that. not saying yours is one of them, but more often then not B&Ms are pretty bad for advice. On top of that you wouldn't believe the comments iv'e gotten. I've had people tell me that the sig 213 does kanthal temp control and it works and they are an electrical engineer. spoiler alert. people lie and people are ignorant at times. I put out information for those open to receiving it. hell i just had a dude who swore up and down i was wrong on a mythbuster video i made come back to me today 3 weeks later and apologize and say i was right. he was also an electronics expert according to himself. this isn't even a review it's a PSA/warning. Huge difference.

You said in your review that you received the mod from element vape. That contradicts your claim above about "my money and my time for 0 financial gain". So who has the credibility issue? Or are you sending it back after your review is completed?

again, you should probably know more before making accusations. was i sent this specific mod? absolutely i never denied that. i flat out stated it as such. but where is my money? I've spent over 7k in money this year alone plus over 7k in my labor if you assume minimum wage and i assure you my time is worth much more then that, for 0 dollars in return. have i received a few free things to review? sure i've also given a bunch away as i'm just physically short of room to store it all. I've also done actual giveaways as well yeah the item was free, i still paid for shipping. I don't ask for donations, I don't monetize my channel, I don't do affiliate links, and I don't take money for reviews and I still buy products for review. as far as this mod goes, no idea what i'll do with it when i'm done with a review. haven't decided yet. I also purchased recording equipment, tons of batteries for my testing, test equipment, a ton of wire and wick and juice i blow through to review RDAs and such. so all in all yes I'm still far negative and a few "free" mods that i spend hours upon hours working on reviews for doesn't even come close to an offset let along a financial gain. I spent my money and my time with nothing in return to provide a service for people asking and receiving nothing in return so the community can use that info to make a wise buying decision. I'm an independent 3rd party who doesn't make his living in vaping at all (unlike you if you own a store) so i don't have any bias towards or against any company. I'm a vaper and consumer. simple as that

Your experience with the Blazer 200 was a 50% failure rate. The Exo Skeleton had a few catastrophic failures. Catastrophic failures represent a greater liability to retailers and distributors and that is why it is gone. Not the failure rate. If a 50% (your experience) or 70% (my experience) failure rate makes for "one of the better" triple battery mods your definition of better is far different than most peoples. The only Wismec triple battery mod that had a double digit failure rate in my stores was the RX 2/3. The Blazer 200 was 5 times worse.

You responded to every part of my post except the technical information. Why?

this is why, it's all nonsense. nobody has any reliable information of a mods failure rate. it's just not out there. trying to quantify a sample size of 2? lol apparently you weren't around for the weekly threads about busted wismec mods dying here and other forums for the past year or so lol but again, nobody can quantify it, literally impossible. your sample size is meaningless, so all i can go off of is bad designs/design flaws which anyone of your claimed knowledge would be able to see in the pics provided.

I spend a great deal of time working in my stores and don't have time to frequent the forum as much as I would like. Just so happens that August is one of the slower months of the year for us and I have some free time to participate. Was directed to the Icon thread by google when doing a search to see if anyone else was having problems not killing time on the forum.

which icon thread? the CKS? yeah i saw all the issues in my review and gave it a bad review, further proof i don't play favorites unless you want to claim i hate them too lol. Funny enough the pico 25 got a good review from me and is a joyetech brand. why? cause it's a good mod lol. I've trashed several ijoy mods as well this year (solo v2 pro, captain PD270), Dovpo mods (rogue), Rofvape (warlock Z), I just give a fair unbiased review. Maybe If i only gave bad reviews to wismec and joyetech then you MIGHT have a valid point, but again the other option is maybe their products are jsut bad lol. and the fact you tried defending the exo skeleton is a joke BTW. makes YOU seem biased.

What you are missing from the equation is that there are more Wismec/Joyetech customers so of course there will be more complaints. I am not as much defending Wismec as pointing out that your reasoning was in fact flawed for your PSA. And you seem to be more critical of Joyetech/Wismec devices than other brands. I do not have any brand loyalty and use what I like. It just so happens I haven't used a Wismec device on a daily basis since retiring my original RX200 that was still working.

again not at all, a bad design is bad and someone of your experience that you claim should see that easily. Also it's not "just me" it's also the AF devs who probably know this chips and devices better then anyone else myself included. They also spend their time and money providing a free service to the community. It's fine that you personally like it. doesn't make it a good device. You see my lux review? I said i personally like it, if mine broke i would buy another, but I'm not gonna recommend it because it's a poor performing device. that's call being objective. it's ok to like something that sucks, as long as you as a review can acknowledge it sucks. For someone owning a vape shop don't you think that you SHOULD be using these products especially if you are defending them? I've personally purchased this year a predator, rx300, hedron, and primo 4 joyetech/wismec mods at around 200 bucks total and used them all for 4-6 weeks. I also use mods form every brand and run them through testing. it's not my fault if some fall flat and others don't

Not trying to start a pissing match here. But if you are going to do an in depth explanation of a problem it should in fact, be a problem. And if the best you can do when presented with dissent to your biased opinion is attack, then maybe you should stick to your day job. You wasted your time doing this and many have wasted their time responding. Pretty sure this post was a waste based on your track record with previous responses.

except you are. it's exactly what you came here to do. it is in fact a problem, the fact you can't see what's right in front of your face is a joke. I'm not attacking you (which is what you did to me) as i wont' stoop to your level.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An attempt to get back on track...

the chip grounds itself by contacts at the bottom of the chip and uses the body of the mod as a ground wire. This is an extremely bad and inefficient design compared to running a simple ground wire.

It may be of interest to you, and others for that matter, that in critical transmission line applications, swaged connections are highly desirable in comparison to a soldered wire. Their implementation in the RX Gen3 may be horrific due to tolerances and the materials of the chassis but the theory behind the design is not to blame.

You have yet to address my previous response to your statement. The design theory of the 510 connection shown in the images you posted is not a poor design. If implemented with appropriate tolerances and materials it would in fact be better than your recommended method. Thus making your entire post worthless.

Continue to insinuate whatever you wish about my education and experience. It really doesn't offend me. You posted that the design is the problem and it isn't. A swaged connection when executed with appropriate materials and within acceptable tolerances will have a lower impedance than a soldered connection. It is desirable not a problem. You can continue with the smoke and mirrors until the end of time. But the fact is, you lied in your original post. It could be due to ignorance from your obviously limited experience, but it is in fact a lie.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
An attempt to get back on track...

You have yet to address my previous response to your statement. The design theory of the 510 connection shown in the images you posted is not a poor design. If implemented with appropriate tolerances and materials it would in fact be better than your recommended method. Thus making your entire post worthless.

Continue to insinuate whatever you wish about my education and experience. It really doesn't offend me. You posted that the design is the problem and it isn't. A swaged connection when executed with appropriate materials and within acceptable tolerances will have a lower impedance than a soldered connection. It is desirable not a problem. You can continue with the smoke and mirrors until the end of time. But the fact is, you lied in your original post. It could be due to ignorance from your obviously limited experience, but it is in fact a lie.
it's not a poor design in every application, it's a poor design in this application. TO any trained eye it's as obvious as saying don't stick a fork in an electrical outlet. To the untrained eye, it's been proven not by me, but by AF devs so if you wanna go tell them how much of an expert you are feel free and have at it. If it worked correctly, wismec wouldn't have programmed their firmware to lie about the resistance it actually reads

also love the stealth shot you took at me, keep making yourself look bad, I'm not gonna stoop to your level. also great job back tracking and ignoring everything.

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Just updated to Arctic Fox. The real time resistance is all over the place from 0.14 to 0.18. No way for accurate TC. Waiting for 510 DIY fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Just updated to Arctic Fox. The real time resistance is all over the place from 0.14 to 0.18. No way for accurate TC. Waiting for 510 DIY fix.

Bingo. Once the firmware isn't there to hide issues they become very apparent. Even if some alleged electrical engineer doesn't seem to think so

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not really wanting to get into this shit slinging contest so I'll try to make my point and move on. First I haven't read this thread thoroughly and completely so maybe I've missed some of the testing, but some of what I have read are some pretty big assumptions.

1st assuming that a pressed fit connection is bad by default is an assumption as we don't know the process, tolerances, materials used if it was heat expanded / contracted or pressed into anodized hole or what. Depending on some of those unknowns the ground could actually be better as the larger the mass (body of the device) the less resistance compared to a small gauge wire. This should be something that could be proven relatively easily by simply soldering a ground wire to the negative of the 510 and the negative of the pcb. If the ground wire fixes it from popping out of TC then it's a shoddy negative connection. If it doesn't it's shoddy firmware and or electronics.

Another assumption is the company has added built in resistance to the firmware to fix poor connectivity. This could be the case, but the only ones that could answer that would be the engineers and the designers of the particular device that designed and wrote the firmware. It's entirely possible the firmware does have resistance added in the firmware as all mods have some internal resistance that needs to be compensated for while using TC. DNA devices for example since they are designed to be placed in a multitude of different enclosures provide the ability to test the mods internal resistance and update the software to accommodate that resistance tolerance of the different mods.

Another assumption is to use a hacked piece of firmware from someone else as a comparative to the original firmware and assume that the hacked firmware is better or more accurate or shows faults or defects in the original firmware or hardware when in reality its just hacked firmware and could be good or bad.

It's entirely possible the device is popping out of TC because the firmware or hardware is bugged and has nothing at all to do with the 510 connectivity method used. You can objectively prove that one way or the other by adding a ground wire. As a reviewer I would think that would be your goal, to objectively review and comment on those facts not assumptions.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Not really wanting to get into this shit slinging contest so I'll try to make my point and move on. First I haven't read this thread thoroughly and completely so maybe I've missed some of the testing, but some of what I have read are some pretty big assumptions.

1st assuming that a pressed fit connection is bad by default is an assumption as we don't know the process, tolerances, materials used if it was heat expanded / contracted or pressed into anodized hole or what. Depending on some of those unknowns the ground could actually be better as the larger the mass (body of the device) the less resistance compared to a small gauge wire. This should be something that could be proven relatively easily by simply soldering a ground wire to the negative of the 510 and the negative of the pcb. If the ground wire fixes it from popping out of TC then it's a shoddy negative connection. If it doesn't it's shoddy firmware and or electronics.

Another assumption is the company has added built in resistance to the firmware to fix poor connectivity. This could be the case, but the only ones that could answer that would be the engineers and the designers of the particular device that designed and wrote the firmware. It's entirely possible the firmware does have resistance added in the firmware as all mods have some internal resistance that needs to be compensated for while using TC. DNA devices for example since they are designed to be placed in a multitude of different enclosures provide the ability to test the mods internal resistance and update the software to accommodate that resistance tolerance of the different mods.

Another assumption is to use a hacked piece of firmware from someone else as a comparative to the original firmware and assume that the hacked firmware is better or more accurate or shows faults or defects in the original firmware or hardware when in reality its just hacked firmware and could be good or bad.

It's entirely possible the device is popping out of TC because the firmware or hardware is bugged and has nothing at all to do with the 510 connectivity method used. You can objectively prove that one way or the other by adding a ground wire. As a reviewer I would think that would be your goal, to objectively review and comment on those facts not assumptions.
Read more thoroughly. Don't skim.

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Read more thoroughly. Don't skim.

Not really that interested in re-reading edit's or retractions of what I previously read. Just to much assumption and echoing of others and to little factual information. However I did see that Djlsb did exactly what I had suggested by physically connecting a ground wire and it had no change with the problem you describe. If it has a bad connection and you give it a good connection but performs the same that's most likely not the problem. Through process of elimination that in itself appears to dispel the claim of bad connectivity and Djlsb has stated as much on your Youtube channel. I also see where after that you report the firmware is also bad or needs a bad connection to work properly (however it doesn't change behavior either way with good or bad connection) so that's odd it performs the same either way. This seems like quite a stretch to me. I'm sure you have good intentions but I would take the device show it's pro's and con's and if you can fix it share it with the world but leave the assumptions and echoing of others out of it. Having a preconceived notion about something you haven't torn into personally and attempted to resolve isn't really very objective position to start from. I'm bowing out of this thread. gl

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I must say, I'm fascinated by you guys' tenacity and commitment to find out what the fuck is wrong with a cheap-ass Chinese mod made by the worst of all the cheap-ass Chinese mod makers, renowned for its inability to produce even a single trouble-free device. I bet you guys spent more time dissecting the damn thing and wondering what's wrong with it than Wismec spent designing it. What a waste of time...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using the chassis as the ground circuit doesn't mean it's a good or bad circuit. Using a separate wire as the ground circuit doesn't mean it's a good or bad circuit. Either method can provide proper or improper electrical conductivity, but other factors have to be evaluated. Simply stating the ground is bad because the chassis is used is ignorant. It may have been poorly executed in this case, but that doesn't mean chassis grounding is 'bad'. You're spreading misinformation. And software guys don't always understand hardware as much as they would like to think. Good luck.
I see what you did there.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol good luck yourself buddy. I'm glad your "schooling" has paid off meanwhile it's my career. Each device has different requirements. for a DC-DC convertor it is piss poor grounding. For say a generator I can shove a grounding rod in the dirt and connect a 14 gauge wire to it and be fine from the ground lug. It's all about the application once you get some experience you'll learn. For instance you know resistive load testing on 3 phase AC doesn't need a neutral? probably not, you learn that from experience not from schooling. Also to be pretty frank and no offense, I know of at least 3 posters who lied about what they do for a living claiming to be electrical engineers but clearly aren't. one of them ripped off a bunch of people as well. Also had a dude in my comments on my channel claim i was wrong and he was an "expert in electronics" mooch jumped in and said i was right and this guy argued that both myself and mooch were wrong. I'm not saying this to offend you or talk down, I'm saying it cause I know what i know and your not the 1st to try and "correct" something that isn't wrong and you won't be the last to do so either
The issue of proper grounding is very complicated because there are many competing goals that need to be addressed, including safety, noise, ground loops, EMI/EMC, frequency dependence, power vs signal, etc. Each of these argue for a particular approach to grounding and those approaches are often incompatible─so you have to make compromises. A couple of examples─should the shield of a cable be connected to the chassis at both ends (to establish a common reference voltage) or should it only be connected at one end (to prevent ground loops)? Answer: It depends─which issue is the bigger problem. Another example, should your grounding strategy be single-point (to reduce interaction of sensitive circuits via ground noise) or multi-point (to create a more solid ground plane)? Answer: It depends─often a hybrid approach is taken were DC is a single-point but, through the use of stitching capacitors, high frequency is multi-point.

Good luck. ;)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
a waste of time...
tumblr_nc5cgv3mYN1tp42tfo1_500.jpg

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
There is TC update 1.10 available.

No difference at all.

The same with AF.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
to little factual information.

The FACT is that @SirRichardRear used flawed reasoning to come to his conclusions.

Another assumption is the company has added built in resistance to the firmware to fix poor connectivity. This could be the case

No it can't.

It's entirely possible the device is popping out of TC because the firmware or hardware is bugged and has nothing at all to do with the 510 connectivity method used.

We have a winner!

The fix for the resistance is a circuit design fix. Probably due to the lack of availability of a correct part or a significantly cheaper alternative that only required a firmware fix in their opinion. Likely the latter or else the same fix would not be used on multiple devices made of differing materials with far different current paths.

Use deductive reasoning to think through this problem. Would a firmware fix that adds resistance to the calculated load mask an issue involving a poor ground. That is what is being claimed here. Or would it compound the issue? Two wrongs don't make a right after all.

Once the firmware isn't there to hide issues they become very apparent. Even if some alleged electrical engineer doesn't seem to think so

If you expect me to disagree with this statement, your wrong again. My disagreement is over what the issues in fact are. I agree that the Arctic Fox team discovered a fix in the factory firmware to mask a problem. I agree that said problem could cause issues and prevent the device from performing in all conditions as advertised. I agree that there are far better devices than any Joyetech, Wismec, or Eleaf product. But your theory about the root cause is utter crap. Correlation does not prove causation. And your assumed cause and effect are contradicted by the evidence that you provided in your feeble attempt to prove your theory.

Furthermore, I would assert that the Arctic Fox team has been wasting their time under the false assumption that the Joyetech, Wismec, Eleaf product lines were a good board in a bad box. It is my opinion that they are in fact an average board in an average box. And that the Arctic Fox firmware turns that average board into a bad board. Multiple reports of immediate device failure after installing the Arctic Fox firmware indicate that the resistance fix is an absolutely critical firmware component.

I don't ask for donations, I don't monetize my channel, I don't do affiliate links, and I don't take money for reviews and I still buy products for review.

And the community is getting exactly what it is paying for.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And the community is getting exactly what it is paying for.

Dude... Whatever you think of SirRichardRear's research, he didn't have to do it, and he owes nothing to the "community" - whatever the fuck that is.

I personally think debugging a Wismec device is pretty pointless, and the best thing to do with a Wismec mod is to buy another mod from another company. But for those who don't have much dough, bought one of them turds in good faith and are now stuck with it, his work means something. We should all be thankful for people like him.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Furthermore, I would assert that the Arctic Fox team has been wasting their time under the false assumption that the Joyetech, Wismec, Eleaf product lines were a good board in a bad box. It is my opinion that they are in fact an average board in an average box. And that the Arctic Fox firmware turns that average board into a bad board.
It depends on whether you use TC mode or VW mode. For me, the only thing that TC mode does is it just turns a good board in a good box into a bad board in a bad box... doesn't even matter which make or model so because I'll never use TC mode, but instead I'll only use the ArcticFox power curve feature and I'll only use that in VW mode, that's why, for me, it's a good board in an average box seeing as ArcticFox-compatible boards currently are THE ONLY boards that'll give me power curve usability on a triple battery regulated mod in this particular price range. The REAL waste of time is to try and explain that to the guy who loves to crap all over Wismec with his "correct information" and 4 years of "vaping experience" calling it "science" when the reality is he very clearly doesn't grok the concept of chassis grounding a board, as has been already pointed out correctly by @BoomStick days ago.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What research of his are you referring to? So far, I haven't seen any.

The material he gathered in his original post is what I'm referring to.

Look, I don't give two shits about Wismec mods, and I don't agree with everything he states in his post. But the fact remains that it's good information for someone who wants to get cracking on trying to fix the damn device. If I had purchased a RX Gen 3 (perish the thought), I'd be glad someone gathered all that information for me - even if I reserve the right to interpret the material differently. Don't you think it's worth something?

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude... Whatever you think of SirRichardRear's research, he didn't have to do it, and he owes nothing to the "community" - whatever the fuck that is.

Lol good luck yourself buddy. I'm glad your "schooling" has paid off meanwhile it's my career. Each device has different requirements. for a DC-DC convertor it is piss poor grounding. For say a generator I can shove a grounding rod in the dirt and connect a 14 gauge wire to it and be fine from the ground lug. It's all about the application once you get some experience you'll learn. For instance you know resistive load testing on 3 phase AC doesn't need a neutral? probably not, you learn that from experience not from schooling. Also to be pretty frank and no offense, I know of at least 3 posters who lied about what they do for a living claiming to be electrical engineers but clearly aren't. one of them ripped off a bunch of people as well. Also had a dude in my comments on my channel claim i was wrong and he was an "expert in electronics" mooch jumped in and said i was right and this guy argued that both myself and mooch were wrong. I'm not saying this to offend you or talk down, I'm saying it cause I know what i know and your not the 1st to try and "correct" something that isn't wrong and you won't be the last to do so either

This condescending response to @BoomStick , who in fact was correct, is the only reason I even participated in this thread. And frankly, if you are going to do something, you should do it right. When a Physician publishes research that is proven wrong, they are then referred to as a quack by their peers for the remainder of their career. When a Scientist publishes their research that is proven false, they are forced into Academia or seclusion. What is the price for publishing flawed totally wrong research on a vaping forum? I see why we should thank him now. A sincere thank you for providing that clarity is deserved.

If VU will assign @SirRichardRear a new banner, perhaps "Resident Quack", to go with his others. Or if he apologizes to the other three members, besides myself, he insulted in this thread. I would happily vanish for another 6 months until I forget that there is really nothing of value for me here again.

I personally think debugging a Wismec device is pretty pointless, and the best thing to do with a Wismec mod is to buy another mod from another company. But for those who don't have much dough, bought one of them turds in good faith and are now stuck with it, his work means something. We should all be thankful for people like him.

It just so happens I haven't used a Wismec device on a daily basis since retiring my original RX200 that was still working.

Again, haven't used any of their devices in some time.

The issue I have, is he is also telling people that with a "proper" ground and the Arctic Fox firmware the mod will somehow magically work properly. If he was right, that would be true. But he is wrong! And more than willing to argue about it, including throwing insults like they are candy at a parade, with anyone and everyone if need be, rather than admit to it. If you want to encourage that type of behavior by all means continue to thank the arrogant ass hat. But please don't have children. Society just doesn't need the byproduct of years of that type of nurturing.

What research of his are you referring to? So far, I haven't seen any.

Thank you for the levity.

Don't you think it's worth something?

Um, no.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The material he gathered in his original post is what I'm referring to.

Look, I don't give two shits about Wismec mods, and I don't agree with everything he states in his post. But the fact remains that it's good information for someone who wants to get cracking on trying to fix the damn device. If I had purchased a RX Gen 3 (perish the thought), I'd be glad someone gathered all that information for me - even if I reserve the right to interpret the material differently. Don't you think it's worth something?
I know that's what you're referring to.

Look, I get that you don't give two shits about the brand, but the fact remains there's a difference between "correct information" and a fantasy tale regarding the subject of chassis grounding. I have nothing against fantasies so don't get me wrong here, but lately this whole "correct information" thing of his has been getting WAY out of hand with a flock of retarded people who used to be gathering around him trying to defend him when the reality is there almost never are any well founded arguments anywhere in these kinds of "research" offerings of his. Are you interested in real facts or just plain old foolishness? If going for real facts, then scroll up to post #68 and do your own facts checking before jumping to all sorts of ridiculous conclusions... it's all I'm asking here. The sad news is threads like these are driving knowledgeable people away from the forum who might be willing to share informed details that might actually be useful to someone.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you interested in real facts or just plain old foolishness?

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't buy the chassis grounding argument neither. But the material gathered by the OP is still useful, and for that I'm grateful. That's all I'm saying :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I always thought it was down the wismec quality control rather than anything else using press fits that when tugging on the atty pulls out. It seems a lot of people complain about that particular issue. I understand on the gen 3 this is not possible to do now although it could be pushed in instead? I dunno not heard duff reports on it yet so I'll reserve judgement until I do. If a press fit 510 which relies on contact grounding to the mod itself is capable of moving it's connection can't be stable right or am I wrong?

Doesn't have to be immediately straight out of the box testing I'm talking here but a few months of use with wear and tear so wouldn't a connection like that be worse off in the long run, especially with other factors such a juice spillages etc?

Or is it intentional to make it this way so the end user end up buying a new mod after after a few months?

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
Any possible solution so far? I have basic experience in soldering. Is it possible to add a cable from the 510 to the board?

After almost a month of owning the Gen3 I have to admit that the OP is right. The TC is not working with builds under .2 and exotic coils.

Probably the DNA Gen3 will fix this issue.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Any possible solution so far? I have basic experience in soldering. Is it possible to add a cable from the 510 to the board?

After almost a month of owning the Gen3 I have to admit that the OP is right. The TC is not working with builds under .2 and exotic coils.

It is possible to add the cable. In fact DJLsb Vapes has done exactly that, but it didn't fix the issue at all, and, despite that the OP has called me a troll after I stated (in this thread as well as in other Wismec related threads not too long ago) he is spreading misinformation about the 510 by claiming the 510 is making poor contact with the mod, the simple fact it didn't fix the issue should be proof enough that I'm not trolling anyone. In addition, this isn't the first time the OP has made random accusations towards a person, sometimes even a whole bunch of people, who isn't/aren't anti-Wismec. I mean, the OP has flat out called these people things like "Wismec fanboy" and "getting paid to make a favorable review" ( = "shill" ). I have no idea what company the OP is working for, but, seeing as he thinks it's perfectly OK to─without backing up those accusations of course─accuse practically everyone who has ever reviewed the RX300, from now on it should be perfectly OK for others to refer to the OP as "resident Quack".

That said, it would probably be wise to simply accept that triple and quad battery regulated mods by Wismec are not among the best choice of mod for TC mode. You can argue till hell freezes with him that any regulated mod that can't work properly in TC mode must be a shit mod, but should you so decide, I think it would probably be best to rent a room together and let the rest of us simply enjoy a power curve in ArcticFox firmware to be used for preheat in wattage mode. As DJLsb Vapes has shown time and again in his video reviews on YouTube, the power output of these mods in wattage mode is completely stable enough to provide a thoroughly satisfying vape experience─again, to those who prefer wattage mode instead of temp control. (It almost seems as though he has something against people who prefer to wattage mode, just like he has something against Wismec and against those who don't like bullshit talk about Wismec because... well, they just happen to not like bullshit talk.) Hopefully this will have finally cleared up a few things now.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That said, it would probably be wise to simply accept that triple and quad battery regulated mods by Wismec are not among the best choice of mod for TC mode

There. Fixed that for you :)

You can argue till hell freezes with him that any regulated mod that can't work properly in TC mode must be a shit mod, but should you so decide,[...[

Unstable resistance reading is the least of Wismec mods' problems. Their losing their 510 sockets, catching on fire, buzzing strangely and smelling hot with low resistance coils, heating up alarmingly when charging over USB, or catching on fire without warning are why potential buyers should avoid the brand. I'm not saying these things happens to all WIsmec mods, but it's happened enough to make their devices a liability as far as safety is concerned.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

All u gotta do is look at his history and mine and see who the quack is ;) the fact he is even calling me a quack is pretty much proof enough though.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There. Fixed that for you :)
Let me ask you just one simple question, then. In this particular price range, what triple or quad battery mod do you know will let me use, in wattage mode, a user-defined power curve (for preheat) without me having to constantly jump through burning hoops like on the Boxer mod where you have to keep adjusting each and every single dot on the curve each time when I want to quickly change the wattage I'm vaping?
Unstable resistance reading is the least of Wismec mods' problems. Their losing their 510 sockets,
Takes less than 10 minutes to fix with JB Weld or super glue. And letting it dry for 24 hours so yeah, I get the point that it's not exactly ideal, at least not for everyone, BUT... I was talking specifically about regulated mods with 3 (or 4) 18650 batteries in them, and, maybe what's ideal for you is also ideal for everyone else in YOUR part of the universe so please feel free to go down that route again... I'm sure you'll make yourself popular.
catching on fire,
So just don't buy that one particular model.
buzzing strangely
I can see how that can be annoying. But neither my RX2/3 nor my RX300 have ever given me that problem.
and smelling hot with low resistance coils,
Never had that problem either. Chain vaping at .1 ohms.
heating up alarmingly when charging over USB,
Never charge your 18650 batteries inside a mod. Doesn't matter which mod.
or catching on fire without warning
So just don't buy that one particular model... times two.
are why potential buyers should avoid the brand. I'm not saying these things happens to all WIsmec mods, but it's happened enough to make their devices a liability as far as safety is concerned.
Do you want to hear about what I think is wrong with all the other brands? :giggle:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All u gotta do is look at his history and mine and see who the quack is ;) the fact he is even calling me a quack is pretty much proof enough though.

I am calling you Quack because I'm being brutally honest AND the proof has already been found that that's EXACTLY what you are. Red handedly, I believe it's called. ;)

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

After 5 minutes reviewing your history it is plain who the quack is. I started with the "Vaping Safety 101" link you provided. When you were corrected there, you never admitted it either. Your pattern of behavior is well established.

outside of that I work in the power generation field, i have worked on UPS systems, Solar, Generators (including resistive load bank testing), ATS's but my main field is IT and networking. due to being in this field and having many friends in it, I've learned mechanics/engines (work on my own cars), low voltage (phone systems, switch boards etc), electricity (home wiring and industrial wiring) and a few other tricks of the trade.
outside of that though, to be honest all those skills are pretty irrelevant and not needed as all the information i provided is readily available as long as you understand how to read it. I explain that in the video I don't claim to be an expert by any means, however my working knowledge of UPS systems has many similarities to the tech used in regulated mods.

At least seven months ago when you faked your way through that post you had some humility. Did you lose it in a poker game? Or was it lost in an occupational accident due to your work safety knowledge being equivalent to your vaping safety knowledge?

"resident Quack"

I would like to report a theft...

"Resident Quack"

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Thanks for the PSA and a fine job of it as well:vino:

Having an industrial background, I am kinda picky about proper electrical work myself.

I remember lots of unfortunate events in the field ranging from "Letting the Blue Smoke Out" to things catching fire or even exploding due to folks not paying attention or taking short cuts.

If Wismec ever gets their act together and starts paying attention to detail in their manufacturing process, I may be a customer at some point.

But as things are now, not a chance.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand that one who decides to have a somewhat public life needs to have a pretty inflated idea of their own worth to believe people will be interested in what they have to say. That goes for youtubers, but also politicians, news channels pundits, reality TV idiots... I mean, most people you meet in life have have very little talent. But some think they have so much to offer they decide to inflict their views and opinion on a wider audience. Clearly they can't see themselves as what they really are.

Maybe your own words will communicate part of the issue better than mine. Now if we take this to the next step of what that individual saying being wrong we have an even bigger issue. And I am sick of all of these Charlatan's spewing crap in their quest for internet fame, even if this one seems to not care about the fortune. The fact that you are here defending him is even more troubling based on your prior use of common sense.

Now we have multiple users here thanking him for incorrect information. Including a moderator! His "Vaping Safety 101" thread was sticky'd by a moderator with all of it's flaws and received multiple likes and thank yous. What has society become when we reward a level of performance below mediocrity? Or have expectations plummeted to the point that participation alone, even if the results are poor, is enough to receive those accolades? On second thought please don't answer. If ignorance is in fact bliss, I don't want to know. And @SirRichardRear must be a very happy man.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I handled one in a shop the other day and man is sweet. The size is perfect (for what it is) the screen is great and the green looks awesome. However, for $70, I couldn't tolerate all those issues. Everyone disputes what issues it has and what causes them but no disputes that it has quite a few issues. Let's all agree on that and move on.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The fact that you are here defending him is even more troubling based on your prior use of common sense.

You don't understand: I defend his right not to be mercilessly flamed and insulted for material that, however flawed, he took the time to put together. You can disagree with him all you want, but the fact that he made the effort to put together his original post, obviously not for fame and profit like the goddamn Youtube reviewers, means he at least deserves to be responded to in a civilized manner.

95% of all the information on the internet is crap. That's the flip side of letting anyone and their dog have a voice about anything: the S/N ratio is very low on the internet. But it's still better than restricting public speaking to a self-appoinrted expert clique, like in the days before the internet. This means one must read whatever one finds on the internet critically, keep what's worth keeping, and ignore the rest.

Me, even if I only find a single blurry photo in a post full of technical bullshit posted by some random internet dude, and that photo ends up being helpful to me, then I'm grateful to the random internet dude.

In the case of this thread, I may not agree with what the OP wrote, but if I were to do some work on this particular Wismec device, I'd be grateful to him for putting together material that would help me - regardless of the technical bits I disagree with and ignore.

Does that make sense? :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You don't understand: I defend his right not to be mercilessly flamed and insulted for material that, however flawed, he took the time to put together.
I understand, but I completely disagree because the material in question is not only flawed, but also to the point of insulting my intelligence. That's because the material I presented in post #68 can easily be verified simply by asking any electronics expert (any SANE electronics expert, that is...) so, simply put, if you really want the drama to stop, then all you have to do is stop your drama against Wismec, i.e., give us clear reliable evidence instead of adding more quackery and drama, or once and for all just shut the fuck up.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't understand: I defend his right not to be mercilessly flamed and insulted for material that, however flawed, he took the time to put together.

My perception of what you have done is to defend his right to mercilessly flame others who don't agree with his flawed PSA. He fired the first shots.

Does that make sense?

Honestly, no. It makes absolutely no sense to me. But I will respect your differing perspective that you explained perfectly.

And after this...

I understand, but I completely disagree because the material in question is not only flawed, but also to the point of insulting my intelligence. That's because the material I presented in post #68 can easily be verified simply by asking any electronics expert (any SANE electronics expert, that is...) so, simply put, if you really want the drama to stop, then all you have to do is stop your drama against Wismec, i.e., give us clear reliable evidence instead of adding more quackery and drama, or once and for all just shut the fuck up.

I am out of here too. The last four words of that post gave me sufficient incentive to make it perfectly clear that I am not part of the us he referred to.

BigDaddyQ

Member For 4 Years
Isn't this all moot point now that Daniel of DJLSB already proved that running a wire from the 510 directly to the PCB did not fix the TC popping out issue? At this point you have to assume the 510 is not the issue and that it is either a software problem or a hardware problem with the chip. And I'm not sure where you got the idea that UPS units are not grounded to their chassis. They are indeed grounded to the chassis and for good reason.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Isn't this all moot point now that Daniel of DJLSB already proved that running a wire from the 510 directly to the PCB did not fix the TC popping out issue? At this point you have to assume the 510 is not the issue and that it is either a software problem or a hardware problem with the chip. And I'm not sure where you got the idea that UPS units are not grounded to their chassis. They are indeed grounded to the chassis and for good reason.
The guy you're talking to doesn't want to hear the truth. He only loves to hear himself talk on YouTube.
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...510-pins-explained.348237/page-2#post-1859997

VU Sponsors