Become a Patron!

Post your builds

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This sucks, I have a Siamese tiger build and a few royal wire builds I want to post, but for whatever reason safari on my phone will not let me select the 'upload a file' button. Grrrr
I can never do things mobile with this website='P

Vaping Cracker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
.28 Ohms 24 G 2.4mm drill bit,
20140919_115607.jpg
Do you use that paperclip to position your wicks? (Just wondering cause I do.)

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Picked up 24g wire last night to try something new. Just built.

10637839_10205072423556136_2071281086_n.jpg

Hitting too hard I can't even inhale lol #wimp

Edit: It's toned down some now*, phew! Mmmmm yummy Zombie Apocalypse.

*Can anyone explain why that happens? Or am I crazy? Don't answer that part.

Last edited:

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Wow, you're building your own coils?! Is this your first one? Nice! :)

the_vaping_kaynoh

Member For 4 Years

Sometimes the coils "break in," in a sense and the resistance goes up a bit. And zombie apocalypse is definitely in my top 5, can't get enough of it. You should try strawberry blonde by CRFT

WimpysRevenge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
http://m.imgur.com/eq2enfG
So this is 28g folded and twisted on a drill.
10 wraps each
.7 ohms
At 20 watts it takes a good 3-4 rips to get hot enough to blow clouds...
What am I doing wrong that keeps it from heating up quicker?
Vaping on a tugboat v2, vapor shark RDNA30.

If the thunder dont get you then the lightning will

Cloud79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
c90b0c1c79390ae91d2b53baf6d4ff90.jpg

Nothing interesting lately until this. Shooting for macro with 8 strands of 30ga. twisted tightly. 0.4 ohms, I need to drill out the airflow! Great flavor maker. That's in the KFL.

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
http://m.imgur.com/eq2enfG
So this is 28g folded and twisted on a drill.
10 wraps each
.7 ohms
At 20 watts it takes a good 3-4 rips to get hot enough to blow clouds...
What am I doing wrong that keeps it from heating up quicker?
Vaping on a tugboat v2, vapor shark RDNA30.

If the thunder dont get you then the lightning will
It's just a crap load of wire to heat up! If you're able to crank up your wattage that would help. Otherwise you could use fewer wraps. What's the inside diameter of those coils?

WimpysRevenge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
3/32 drill bit.

If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will

WimpysRevenge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haven't ever maxed out my vapor shark. 20 watts gives me 3.8v

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
when I had my vapor shark I stuck with single coil builds, and kept them all between 1 ohm and 1.5 ohms. twisted 28g, 10 wraps, single coil was actually my favorite coil to run most of the time. 30 watts just isn't enough power for a dual coil sub ohm setup in most cases, at least with thicker/twisted wires.

rdwilliamson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
7a0c0c73f23d85428632359a32e4e38a.jpg
Finally got time to do one. Twisted 32 reverse twisted with 28. 9 wraps on 1/8 inch rod.

1.3 ohms. Vaping at 18.5 in the Atomic on my istick.

Sent from my educated phone using tapatalk

the_vaping_kaynoh

Member For 4 Years
Finally found my perfect build for the Vulcan. I've been thru so many builds and have truly fallen in love with this one 26 gauge twisted kenthal dual 4 wrap micro coils. Nice warm vape, that produce incredible flavor and chucks some nice thick clouds. uploadfromtaptalk1411867982245.jpg

cmbrstefan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
5d2b1703ef4c8c20adfdc75829ea1a77.jpg

26g 5 wrap vertical. Zenith v2 .32 ohms
best vape I had and juice does not runs up the DT to much.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have tried a couple different variations of the hybrid coil on my orchid.
Both are 3/32 26g kanthal. First was 0.44 and second was 0.50. Vaped the 0.44 yesterday & today and liked it better than a micro coil. Edit: 0.5 coil removed, didn't perform as well.
2014-09-29230623.jpg

Last edited:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
t9hDOid.png

RUbSxoQ.png

.2ohm build on a Magma clone sitting proudly atop my "You dont have one of these" dual 18650 potentiometer equipped locally made box.
Sometimes a build is so pretty you just HAVE to take a pic!

WimpysRevenge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any unregulated box recs?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
might have to Google that. All of mine are made locally by DeathMods and that is pretty much "only to my best mates" sort of arrangement.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Any unregulated box recs?

look up ohmega box mods on Facebook. I had one of the v2 boxes for about a week and it was really nice. I ended up trading it but I miss it sometimes.

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dual 5-wrap of 20g Kanthal A1 around a 3/32nds bit on the Plumeveil.
PV-PV.jpg
Still getting used to wrapping with pin-vises, definitely messed up my natural cohesion during the pre-bends.
Not the cleanest build, but these pin-vises are awesome by sheer merit of the fact they relieve so much strain from your hands and fingertips.

Vaping Cracker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dual 5-wrap of 20g Kanthal A1 around a 3/32nds bit on the Plumeveil.
View attachment 6665
Still getting used to wrapping with pin-vises, definitely messed up my natural cohesion during the pre-bends.
Not the cleanest build, but these pin-vises are awesome by sheer merit of the fact they relieve so much strain from your hands and fingertips.
My outside right index finger by they thumb is tore up from wrapping tight coils on drill bits... might have to get a couple pin-vises.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't see the added value of pin vises beyond wire twisting, but if they are working for you lot, then awesome. I do get the theory, but am bemused as the necessity in a non-engineering application such as making juice sodden wick vapourise......but on that same note, I do not understand other things...such as the American fear of decimal points and the entire American automotive industry. Cheers!

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Please read up on @MacTechVpr posts found here in the Micro Coil Frustration thread (his first post is #19, but #25 there is when he gets into it), he explains the theory behind tension-wound coils. In the past I have incidentally wrapped some perfect micro coils, but not every pair I wind for dual coils end up exactly the same and "perfect" as the term may be. I think it's pretty neat to just mount the coils and not have to deal with anything else, they are already heating from the center, they are heating up evenly, they are heating up fast, and I haven't done any fiddle-fucking with tweezers to make them that way.
As someone in that thread stated, there are many roads to the same lake, and it is entirely possible to create perfectly tension-wound coils without the aid of something like a coiling jig or these pin-vises, it's just arguably easier because of the stress-reducing factor these tools provide. Either way you look at it, I'll be blowing clouds at the lake with you whenever you show up, and I'm going to be happy='3

Vaping Cracker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just had carpal tunnel release surgery on left wrist/hand 6 months ago, full invasive and I have some meaty ass hands, which makes for a longer heal time. I have to have the surgery on my right hand next fall as well as my right elbow. I can wrap coils fine by hand, but the pin vises seem like they would make it a bit easier on my left and on my right hand and elbow after surgery. After my first surgery I felt like Edward Scissorhands trying to wrap coils. I have been holding off on getting a coil jig. I gotta buddy that makes custom coil jigs that are killer and eventually he'll get around to making some more and make wrapping much easier. Right now he's caught up making box mods... killer box mods. Wrapping coils is subjective like a lot of things when it comes to vaping.

Vaping Cracker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Appreciate it. The day before surgery I'll make sure all of my attys have good coils and I'll be ok for a month or so. I can wrap coils 2 weeks after, but I probably won't need to. A month and it's less strain on the incision. Anyway, I really like this forum; a lot of awesome people with extensive experience and knowledge. Thanks guys. (Ecf isn't for me.)

Cloud79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Please read up on @MacTechVpr posts found here in the Micro Coil Frustration thread

1086b148a495a906fec578c7680d7f4a.jpg

Using this tension method has proven worthy of being a better way by far to wrap! Only the first attempt was faulty, 2nd and 3rd coils I made were stunningly beatiful, however they still required a little heat and squeeze to even up the burn. 2 thumbs up.

Sigmardin

The Vapographer
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
22g kanthal 6/5 wrap 9/64 drill bit .2ohm

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_135041.jpg
    IMG_20141005_135041.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20141005_134947.jpg
    IMG_20141005_134947.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20141005_135007.jpg
    IMG_20141005_135007.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 44

rdwilliamson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
57ab16afe467f1c09bf449746d211778.jpg
5928ec083bfe577aaa8d106789ab6f5e.jpg

.54 ohm. 26 gauge dual coil on 1/8 inch rod. 8/7 wrap.

Just right for me.

Sent from my educated phone using tapatalk

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
might have to Google that. All of mine are made locally by DeathMods and that is pretty much "only to my best mates" sort of arrangement.

Francis that's purdy. :D

Here's one of mine…

IMG_1134a.jpg

A tensioned dual-element (microcoil) twisted center post build (counter-rotated 8/7 winds) on 2.5mm (31 AWG), at o.73Ω, wicked KGD on a Trident v1 and GV Sentinel M16 (both max air holes required).

Good luck.

:)

Special mentions re ECF's MattyB1503 who originated the dual coil twisted center post (a non-tensioned, dual-micro, right-hand wind over/under positive lead twist).
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/100113/mattyb1503.html

‎http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/coil-builds/416271-micro-coils-increase-vapor-flavor-th-908.html#post11955836

Last edited:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Lots of intrigueing coil techniques out there. I am a vanilla man who enjoys his vanilla coils :cool:

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lots of intrigueing coil techniques out there. I am a vanilla man who enjoys his vanilla coils :cool:

Heard that. I'm down with 26AWG on 2.2mm @ .270 (Raiju/J.E.M. Stellar) my fav.

I'll do the wild wind thing. But electrical efficiency gets me goin'.

Good luck.

Vape on!

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1086b148a495a906fec578c7680d7f4a.jpg

Using this tension method has proven worthy of being a better way by far to wrap! Only the first attempt was faulty, 2nd and 3rd coils I made were stunningly beatiful, however they still required a little heat and squeeze to even up the burn. 2 thumbs up.

They get tighter cloud as you find the precise point of adhesion (stickiness). It varies by wire gauge. That's what's going to get you to most uniform alumina oxide layering fusing those turns. Then the magic happens. A signifiant boost in efficiency. A much cooler denser productive vape. Of course you can dial up the heat as preferred (by adjusting your target resistance).

Congratz cloud. Enjoy the vape.

Good luck.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Please read up on @MacTechVpr posts found here in the Micro Coil Frustration thread (his first post is #19, but #25 there is when he gets into it), he explains the theory behind tension-wound coils. In the past I have incidentally wrapped some perfect micro coils, but not every pair I wind for dual coils end up exactly the same and "perfect" as the term may be. I think it's pretty neat to just mount the coils and not have to deal with anything else, they are already heating from the center, they are heating up evenly, they are heating up fast, and I haven't done any fiddle-fucking with tweezers to make them that way.
As someone in that thread stated, there are many roads to the same lake, and it is entirely possible to create perfectly tension-wound coils without the aid of something like a coiling jig or these pin-vises, it's just arguably easier because of the stress-reducing factor these tools provide. Either way you look at it, I'll be blowing clouds at the lake with you whenever you show up, and I'm going to be happy='3

Really glad you got this pdx. The physics principle of strain is reliable and consistent. It takes the average user an hour or less to experience the touch necessary to reach adhesion. A few days to perfect reaching it consistently. You were able to visualize it from the description and that's awesome. It took me a couple'a three weeks of struggling with under and over-winding. You also are doing something I equally admire…you're passing it on so others can enjoy that great vape. Thanks bro!

Good luck.

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You were able to visualize it from the description and that's awesome. It took me a couple'a three weeks of struggling with under and over-winding. You also are doing something I equally admire…
I really appreciate the kind words, it's also surprising you're promoting the fact I did not tension-wind these coils as per your instruction. These are effectively free-wound as most of you are familiar with wrapping, I am only using the pin-vises to relieve strain from my fingers and wrists.
As far as "perfect" coils go that are ready to wick after that initial oxidation, I still have yet to achieve that. I however do not build every day, nor do I usually end up doing more than one build at any time I end up building. I've only toyed with tension-wrapping once or twice and seem to have made a mistake at one point or another halting the natural adhesion process I ought to have seen once I had the immaculate coils mounted.
Alls I can say is, I over-wrap, your last two wraps on either side are likely not as tight as the rest of your coil, and when you're looking at the coil as a single heating element, those fractional differences in resistance per-inch can directly affect your output. Different roads to the same lake, you'll probably show up before me as I take my time with everything='3

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really appreciate the kind words, it's also surprising you're promoting the fact I did not tension-wind these coils as per your instruction. These are effectively free-wound as most of you are familiar with wrapping, I am only using the pin-vises to relieve strain from my fingers and wrists.
As far as "perfect" coils go that are ready to wick after that initial oxidation, I still have yet to achieve that. I however do not build every day, nor do I usually end up doing more than one build at any time I end up building. I've only toyed with tension-wrapping once or twice and seem to have made a mistake at one point or another halting the natural adhesion process I ought to have seen once I had the immaculate coils mounted.
Alls I can say is, I over-wrap, your last two wraps on either side are likely not as tight as the rest of your coil, and when you're looking at the coil as a single heating element, those fractional differences in resistance per-inch can directly affect your output. Different roads to the same lake, you'll probably show up before me as I take my time with everything='3

Well thanks for saying that. It was a little surprising you'd gotten to sticky quite so quickly. Hope you give it a try. You're almost there. You will get even better performance if you do. Less than that even despite oxidation you can experience variations in resistance that reduce the efficiency (and so output) of the coil. That's why we torch formed micro's. But torching really prevents a thorough uniform oxidation. I was just on the phone this morning discussing this very subject with one of Sandvik's application managers regarding another matter. So yes those small differences in length can affect resistance minimally but more so the loss of inter-turn contact affects symmetry. And mother nature loves balance in structure, as do electrons. Absent that and you get hot spots (thermal shorts, venting heat to air). That's what a tensioned microcoil addresses.

No worries. We all do what we gotta do. I've been known to press more than one button on the elevator. LOL

Hit me up if I can help.

the_vaping_kaynoh

Member For 4 Years
Decided to go with a nice vertical build for maximum air flow. Dual twisted, 24 gauge kanthal, 5 wrap nanos. Totally love twisted coils, all the little gaps that are made by the twists produce incredible flavor without sacrificing vapor production. If you've made or tried twisted coils, then you know what I'm talking about, if you haven't it's a must.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412666617656.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412666617656.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 51

VU Sponsors