Become a Patron!

Post your builds

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess there's your problem, or at least one part of it. These swivels are "OK", but definitely not "great"... so grab something like a SpinLT or similar, as the ones you're using still add quite a bit more weight to the cores. The added weight is forcing you to use more tension on the drill in order to keep the cores snug. That's just because all the weight is pulling/swinging them away from being snug. So the tension you're adding onto the drill is causing the swivels to constantly grind themselves to dust instead of keep turning effortlessly smooth. They're not designed to withstand simultaneous high rpm and high tension, at least not in ways that they're capable to sustain for several minutes. Before your build is even half finished, they literally are turned to shit. If you pull on the drill hard enough whilst it is spinning at high rpm, you can actually make a ball bearing designed for skateboards wear out almost equally fast. The whole idea of using a SpinLT is not just the quality of the bearing, but also the fact that it will enable you to lower the tension on the drill, as the 3D printed part of the SpinLT supports the weight of the bearing.
thanks for the advice and info, I appreciate it. I have a similar device to the spin lt, I prefer the swivels - they may just be "ok", but they get the job done. problem was uneven tension on the cores best I can tell. my raymo clamps will be here tomorrow, I'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Made my first 20-ply staple. Using up my .5 kanthal ribbon, I have some .3 ss316 ribbon in the mail for the dna.
8b8a374441bf7892ea630abe06c44c17.jpg
20 ply :eek:. I usually do about 6 - 8 ply lol. Then again I guess you can get away with a 20 ply using kanthal I only use N80 for my own personal vaping. Great job its a very nice looking coil.:confetti:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I mean, it's not perfect, but it's a damn good start.. keep your head up man, keep trying

Thanks for the encouragement William! I've wanted to do some versions of this build for a while now. I'm thinking I may fair better if I use ribbon for the cores. I have to look into the alien math.:coffee:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah it's pretty much just a name and the brand behind them. I think 10-15 is pretty much good price to ask for pair even if you use TM wires and i think that wire is overpriced AF :D
I actually just pmed you about some coils that I would want to give as a gift. Let me know if the builds requested are something you can do. I'm a paying customer $$$$$$$$$$$$:eek:. I feel like I could build them myself but I want your machine like perfection.:D And I wanna support your business.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess there's your problem, or at least one part of it. These swivels are "OK", but definitely not "great"... so grab something like a SpinLT or similar, as the ones you're using still add quite a bit more weight to the cores. The added weight is forcing you to use more tension on the drill in order to keep the cores snug. That's just because all the weight is pulling/swinging them away from being snug. So the tension you're adding onto the drill is causing the swivels to constantly grind themselves to dust instead of keep turning effortlessly smooth. They're not designed to withstand simultaneous high rpm and high tension, at least not in ways that they're capable to sustain for several minutes. Before your build is even half finished, they literally are turned to shit. If you pull on the drill hard enough whilst it is spinning at high rpm, you can actually make a ball bearing designed for skateboards wear out almost equally fast. The whole idea of using a SpinLT is not just the quality of the bearing, but also the fact that it will enable you to lower the tension on the drill, as the 3D printed part of the SpinLT supports the weight of the bearing.
I've got a spin Lt. Works great but it still has a lope to it sometimes. I figure maybe it's just me though. Causes some twisting sometimes but not bad enough to ruin a coil.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think of the movie Willow. Ha ha

I was thinking of that movie the other day, I think a guy who was in that one is in Solo, maybe the guy who played Willow
anyone else have a bunch of followers from India? I got some pretty random people following me:huh:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've got a spin Lt. Works great but it still has a lope to it sometimes. I figure maybe it's just me though. Causes some twisting sometimes but not bad enough to ruin a coil.

I don't have one... mainly it's because I live across the pond. I have a similar 3D printed thingy instead called The Coil Beast by Gadg3D, and it doesn't have a lope to it because the little axles that came with it are 3D printed also─for adding even less weight to the cores. Or if it does have a lope to it I simply adjust the angle of the wood plank that's in my vice so that fixes it. The same guy who makes this Coil Beast also makes clamps that also are 3D printed. But the best clamps IMO are made by @raymo2u so I got them because TBH it doesn't really matter that I live across the pond. :D

Branpro

Member For 4 Years

Attachments

• A312D6FB-C17A-4747-8122-CAA9D89B557A.jpeg
    A312D6FB-C17A-4747-8122-CAA9D89B557A.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 382FB6EE-6252-4549-919D-B7D8866DF72E.jpeg
    382FB6EE-6252-4549-919D-B7D8866DF72E.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 11

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine did today too!!! Sucks, I won’t be home until Friday to try them, going to be a long week! Sometimes I hate how much I travel for work; then again it pays the vape bills lol!
Ive driven a truck since I got back home at 21. that was 13 years ago, trust me I know about being away from home lol I'm lucky now, I'm almost always home on weekends and a lot of nights i can manage to make it home too. at least 3 a week usually but for years I was gone weeks at a time..

the clamps are well made.. I'm concerned I can already see what appears to be the start of a groove from the wire forming, but I think it's in an area it wont affect much. I just played with them a few min, gonna rest up and eat a bite.. give them a go tonight..

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive driven a truck since I got back home at 21. that was 13 years ago, trust me I know about being away from home lol I'm lucky now, I'm almost always home on weekends and a lot of nights i can manage to make it home too. at least 3 a week usually but for years I was gone weeks at a time..

the clamps are well made.. I'm concerned I can already see what appears to be the start of a groove from the wire forming, but I think it's in an area it wont affect much. I just played with them a few min, gonna rest up and eat a bite.. give them a go tonight..

Use hot glue and don't overtighten!!!

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
first go with raymos clamps and well, success... made a quick and dirty sfc variant and it went smooth as butter.. drill wide open, had to backup only a few times and those were on me, cores stayed perfectly flat.. I dig 'em @raymo2u I'll put them though tougher builds tonight, but they did well on this one.

2*26g spaced with 38g framing 3*30g twisted fused with 40g all N80

(thinking I may put another twisted set of 30g in there making like a zipper inside next time)
5c29fc50740917221a9f80a33726c126.jpg

5203d40ef74633b53d1f1678ad6b3329.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
first go with raymos clamps and well, success... made a quick and dirty sfc variant and it went smooth as butter.. drill wide open, had to backup only a few times and those were on me, cores stayed perfectly flat.. I dig 'em @raymo2u I'll put them though tougher builds tonight, but they did well on this one.

2*26g spaced with 38g framing 3*30g twisted fused with 40g all N80

(thinking I may put another twisted set of 30g in there making like a zipper inside next time)
5c29fc50740917221a9f80a33726c126.jpg

That's cool as hell

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's cool as hell
I see one spot on the coil where one side fell into the same space as the previous wrap.. it's now driving me crazy lol but thanks.. I'm thinking of i use KA1 30g I can put another 3*30g in there twisted the opposite way making a staggered framed zipper coil lol (that is unless someone does it first, I'm gonna try later tonight)

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn!! I can’t even imagine me trying to alien 42g hahaha! Great work! I actually made some .4 x16 42g staples last night, what a pain....forget this alien business lol!
I get so upset when I see coils in a recurve lol cant believe I traded mine for a ... well nm we wont talk about that.. even worse, I just sold the guy a 4*26g alien for it today, and I had to install it :(

Branpro

Member For 4 Years
This isn't a new build, just rewicking but I got a super closeup of 46 wrap rainbows

14 ply .3 kanthal staple / 46 kanthal D
Clean!! Very impressive how well you work with the fine gauges. If I don’t overlap, I snap it, so unforgiving.
I need to invest in some magnifying gear if I even attempt anything that small also. My eyes barely kept up with the 42 LOL. I like telling myself it’s about me not being able to see, rather than skill and feel.

I've discovered, I'm much better with the stagger-variants than the alien variants by quite a bit. they're the only builds I feel relaxed and comfy doing lol

I drive in the same lane, and stay in it for the most part lol.

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clean!! Very impressive how well you work with the fine gauges. If I don’t overlap, I snap it, so unforgiving.
I need to invest in some magnifying gear if I even attempt anything that small also. My eyes barely kept up with the 42 LOL. I like telling myself it’s about me not being able to see, rather than skill and feel.

I drive in the same lane, and stay in it for the most part lol.
haha I switch lanes once and again due to selling the damned things, but I dont like it, I've been known to lose my ass on alien coil sales now and again lol

VU Sponsors