Post your builds

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
Have you tried multiple round core aliens (like 5-8?) with higher gauges, Or using a higher gauge wrap wire? Or alien staples with no frames?

I should have gave some context to my question. I build for my local shops, so I build a lot...roughly 400-600 Aliens and 150-250 Alien Framed Staples a month. So that's why I don't want it to be too time consuming a coil.
I've built Fused Claptons from 2-4 cores. Aliens in 3-4 cores(30-24g cores). Framed Staples with 4-16ply(0.3 and 0.4) and frames varying from 30-26g. Staple Helixes with regular and fused clapton frames, SSFC's and I wrap with 36, 38 and 40g but prefer the performance of 36g over the rest and I build with SS316L and NI80 99% of the time. I vape in the 120-150w range from preference but as high as 300w if necessary for testing.
I haven't tried 5-8 core Aliens so I'll give that a go but with the higher gauge wraps I find performance diminishes after 36g if power and airflow aren't the limiting factors...and I've tested this extensively(with NI80) across dozens of people(my test group)...and I myself ALWAYS like the 36g wrapped coil I make over all the wraps I try.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would love to "rebuild" the USPS, it could be a great service, especially with the resources they already have, they just need workers that are diligent and machines/scanners that work...

Theres a bunch of other things I would like changed in favor of the people and efficiency...but that would give us as people too much power, the government has worked hard the last 150 years trying to slowly cripple that so I doubt they would embrace any idea like it and use the arm of propaganda (News Networks) to call people like myself a right wing extremist (Im a individualist and patriot), you see it with "Sovereign Citizens" and other groups already when the 14th Amendment states thats what we all are, but the media and government will label you as a domestic terrorist if you actually try to represent/inform others/use the intended freedoms and rights you have and see the government as a fictional debt master/trader it is. The moment your born your given a SSN which labels you as a corporation/business, thats how your taxed and "dominated" as property for the government free to be traded as commerce....but dont mind my shiny foil hat, Im crazy.
I would just replace this:

the-great-seal.jpg

..with this:
3192-thickbox_default.jpg

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I should have gave some context to my question. I build for my local shops, so I build a lot...roughly 400-600 Aliens and 150-250 Alien Framed Staples a month. So that's why I don't want it to be too time consuming a coil.
I've built Fused Claptons from 2-4 cores. Aliens in 3-4 cores(30-24g cores). Framed Staples with 4-16ply(0.3 and 0.4) and frames varying from 30-26g. Staple Helixes with regular and fused clapton frames, SSFC's and I wrap with 36, 38 and 40g but prefer the performance of 36g over the rest and I build with SS316L and NI80 99% of the time. I vape in the 120-150w range from preference but as high as 300w if necessary for testing.
I haven't tried 5-8 core Aliens so I'll give that a go but with the higher gauge wraps I find performance diminishes after 36g if power and airflow aren't the limiting factors...and I've tested this extensively(with NI80) across dozens of people(my test group)...and I myself ALWAYS like the 36g wrapped coil I make over all the wraps I try.
I agree with you for alien wraps. 36g is the perfect gauge for an alien wrap in my opinion. When it comes to like a regular framed staple, I actually prefer 40g, but for alien wraps 36g is my sweet spot. I go through more of that than anything else.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
meg amazes me.. shes def. in my top 5 fav builders.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Same, but most of the reoccurring posters here are also very good builders in their own right. I feel like everyone has something they specialize in and we are all helping each other get better. For example you have your own style of building that is very intriguing. I don't think anyone could do William builds as well as William.;) @Pegleg Meg ,@mach1ne , @CrazyChef v2.0 , @raymo2u just to name a few are exceptional builders all for different reasons. I'm not as good all around as any of them but I feel like I'm just good enough to be able to be a regular on this thread and that's a privilege. I was in the middle of attempting an alien stagg and my drill died:sad:. Fortunately it does not take that long to charge so I'll just be patient and get back to it when I have the chance.:wait:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Same, but most of the reoccurring posters here are also very good builders in their own right. I feel like everyone has something they specialize in and we are all helping each other get better. For example you have your own style of building that is very intriguing. I don't think anyone could do William builds as well as William.;) @Pegleg Meg ,@mach1ne , @CrazyChef v2.0 , @raymo2u just to name a few are exceptional builders all for different reasons. I'm not as good all around as any of them but I feel like I'm just good enough to be able to be a regular on this thread and that's a privilege. I was in the middle of attempting an alien stagg and my drill died:sad:. Fortunately it does not take that long to charge so I'll just be patient and get back to it when I have the chance.:wait:

I had to get a corded drill a while back, the old Craftsman only has one working battery and that one is old, couldn't stand that lol

I wish more people would post in here just regular builds they like to vape, without thinking it's supposed to be only for fancy schmancy complicated builds

danielabas

Member For 1 Year
I had to get a corded drill a while back, the old Craftsman only has one working battery and that one is old, couldn't stand that lol

I wish more people would post in here just regular builds they like to vape, without thinking it's supposed to be only for fancy schmancy complicated builds
I vape braidator for daily, 3-28/37 3mm id slentre braid / staggered slentre braid are perfect (4wraps). 2-24/38 dual 0.07 ohm with ds squonk is too much. I love 3-28/37 dual vape with tube mech mod.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I honestly was intimidated when I first came over. But I knew there were some things that I could actually do well and I introduced myself with that and so far people have been really positive and encouraging. Now I don't feel intimidated I just feel like part of the group. It's honestly a great feeling. And when I get better you guys will be there to encourage me to go further. I made my first staple helix on this thread. I'm learning how to do the alien stagg because of this thread. I've learned groove fused on this thread. It's all about what you take from it.:banana:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I vape braidator for daily, 3-28/37 3mm id slentre braid / staggered slentre braid are perfect (4wraps). 2-24/38 dual 0.07 ohm with ds squonk is too much. I love 3-28/37 dual vape with tube mech mod.
You are amazing at braids. I don't know how you have the patience. I tried once and it took me so long even though I rushed through it. I think I showed you a photo of my one and only attempt. It was quite the mess cause I didn't take the time to make sure each pass was tight. Yours' look perfect. It's way beyond my skill level. I've become good at stacking ribbon and aliening. I'm not bad at 40g fusing and some staggered builds like the half-stagg. But braids are beyond my level of patience.

danielabas

Member For 1 Year
You are amazing at braids. I don't know how you have the patience. I tried once and it took me so long even though I rushed through it. I think I showed you a photo of my one and only attempt. It was quite the mess cause I didn't take the time to make sure each pass was tight. Yours' look perfect. It's way beyond my skill level. I've become good at stacking ribbon and aliening. I'm not bad at 40g fusing and some staggered builds like the half-stagg. But braids are beyond my level of patience.
Haha yeah at first, but you have to able to leave it if you are tired, and you have to know the loops so when resume you can continue. 20180529_023202.jpg

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:eek: I made rank! hehe, thanks, everyone who posts in this thread is who makes up my list

And then that hasselback guy on instagram, because his closeups look like microscope pictures

View attachment 112353
holy shit! I'm thinking that probably is a microscope?? like the ones you can get to attach to your phone?? that's bad ass though..

and hells yes you make the list lol

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
also, anyone know how to stop your cores from... not really collapsing, but kinda twisting or doing something weird that ends up causing you to stop, squeeze, and start again with a useless spot?? dont think I have an example to show, but the wrap still goes on perfectly, but the wire is all jank...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
also, anyone know how to stop your cores from... not really collapsing, but kinda twisting or doing something weird that ends up causing you to stop, squeeze, and start again with a useless spot?? dont think I have an example to show, but the wrap still goes on perfectly, but the wire is all jank...

1. shitty swivels
  2. useless crap adding weight to the cores
  3. too much tension on the drill
  4. too much tension on the wrap
  5. no equal tension on the cores

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  1. shitty swivels
  2. useless crap adding weight to the cores
  3. too much tension on the drill
  4. too much tension on the wrap
  5. no equal tension on the cores

new swivels, no weights?, possibly too much tension on drill, but iffy, def. not too much tension on wrap, also possible not equal tension on cores, but again, iffy...

I'll make a few adjustments and see.. only happens once in a while, but damn if it doesnt piss me off.. happens at just the right time to ruin the length for a coil..

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
new swivels, no weights?, possibly too much tension on drill, but iffy, def. not too much tension on wrap, also possible not equal tension on cores, but again, iffy...

I'll make a few adjustments and see.. only happens once in a while, but damn if it doesnt piss me off.. happens at just the right time to ruin the length for a coil..

What type of swivels do you use?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Remember me talking about how I like keyrings to slide along the cores all time now? As you slide it down, you can untwist the cores as you go if they start twisting on you

You should check up on this guys page....so far his Macro shots are the closest Ive seen.
https://www.instagram.com/syahrizkyeria/

30084682_1935845803395246_2614784568070242304_n.jpg

Oh yeah, he's awesome too, danielabas mentioned him last night about tsukas

Last edited:

BoostedTrini

Member For 4 Years
I've been through many a swivel and so far Bill Fisher Krok's have been the best I've used. I've had size 2 and 5 but a 3 seems like it'll be perfect for me...I just can't find it. They spin smooth, are dual ball bearing so I only use one at a time(to reduce wire vibrations). They last me about 3000-ish coils(Aliens) each.

PS: I add about 2 drops of Royal Purple 0w-20 to mine about once a month.

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Remember me talking about how I like keyrings to slide along the cores all time now? As you slide it down, you can untwist the cores as you go if they start twisting on you

I cant use anything like that when making an alien. most times if I stop, I screw up :/ you forget I'm not as strong with the force as you when making aliens lol (or anything else really)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have no idea where the bag is, but heres a pic. they werent cheap. and they're ball bearing.
46b4b3627806e383b0ed16aa67d5ce4b.jpg

12478d99b8e83f12f54dd7edd28dac5b.jpg
I guess there's your problem, or at least one part of it. These swivels are "OK", but definitely not "great"... so grab something like a SpinLT or similar, as the ones you're using still add quite a bit more weight to the cores. The added weight is forcing you to use more tension on the drill in order to keep the cores snug. That's just because all the weight is pulling/swinging them away from being snug. So the tension you're adding onto the drill is causing the swivels to constantly grind themselves to dust instead of keep turning effortlessly smooth. They're not designed to withstand simultaneous high rpm and high tension, at least not in ways that they're capable to sustain for several minutes. Before your build is even half finished, they literally are turned to shit. If you pull on the drill hard enough whilst it is spinning at high rpm, you can actually make a ball bearing designed for skateboards wear out almost equally fast. The whole idea of using a SpinLT is not just the quality of the bearing, but also the fact that it will enable you to lower the tension on the drill, as the 3D printed part of the SpinLT supports the weight of the bearing.

VU Sponsors