Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So this is my first attempt groove fusing anything. I did a groove fused staple/staggerton coil. It's not perfect but it's not so horrible that I would throw it away and not vape it. I figured out your clapton has to be really tight on the first pass for your fuse to stay consistent on the second pass. It's always great to learn new tricks:idea:IMG_0867.jpg

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
So this is my first attempt groove fusing anything. I did a groove fused staple/staggerton coil. It's not perfect but it's not so horrible that I would throw it away and not vape it. I figured out your clapton has to be really tight on the first pass for your fuse to stay consistent on the second pass. It's always great to learn new tricks:idea:View attachment 108194
I'd vape on it!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks Peg! I can alien all day but trying staple staggered fused claptons is my current downfall. Last attempt it seemed okay until I tried to wrap it :p
FINALLY! Not really worth the effort but glad I finally figured it out:

2x28(Ni80)/6x.4(Ka)/36(Ni80) - .12 Dual / 3mm

View attachment 108190

Not the cleanest wrap job but it suffices:

View attachment 108191

Works in the Reload RDA!

View attachment 108192

Takes WAAAY too much time to seem worth it IMO. But wicks like a SOB!

I made my first one today too! :cheers::cheers:
I've never flipped my drill into reverse so many times lmao, I would have probably given up trying to get it clean but I was making it for someone else, that's good motivation

IMG_20180407_120426~2.jpg

I was out of time after that so haven't gotten to wrap it yet

Last edited:

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I made my first one today too! :cheers::cheers:
I've never flipped my drill into reverse so many times lmao, I would have probably given up trying to get it clean but I was making it for someone else, that's good motivation

View attachment 108198

I was out of time after that so haven't gotten to wrap it yet
Woohoo! Nice job!! How long did it take you to do the final wrap? I swear I spent like 30 minutes on mine! Looks great! It's a bitch to wrap though.

Time for some Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout! :cheers:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Woohoo! Nice job!! How long did it take you to do the final wrap? I swear I spent like 30 minutes on mine! Looks great! It's a bitch to wrap though.

Time for some Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout! :cheers:

30 minutes sounds about right, lots of stopping, leaning over with a magnifying glass, back forward back forward lmao

Sure wish I could have a beer now and then, but I've never been a "one beer" type and I'd end up posting unintelligible nonsense on VU and then disappearing for 6 months

I can't drink on the 4th of July because I have plans for Thanksgiving, I'm one of those types...

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Framed staple. 28x 8ply*3 36 wrap. Closed up on me at the end but the first time I've had *3 to work for me. Tried a staggered fused clapton earlier. Went ok but gotta work on my staggering. Figure out what's going to work best. Tried the loop method. Couldn't keep tension and wrap and all. Need work but I'll get it. I got this staple.
810ea7766b8aae8194b3c420300e9367.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
30 minutes sounds about right, lots of stopping, leaning over with a magnifying glass, back forward back forward lmao

Sure wish I could have a beer now and then, but I've never been a "one beer" type and I'd end up posting unintelligible nonsense on VU and then disappearing for 6 months

I can't drink on the 4th of July because I have plans for Thanksgiving, I'm one of those types...
From the inventor of the button trick, here's a cool video that teaches how to cure the heebie jeebies.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've realized I'm probably gonna mess it up at some point but just have to keep going. Next time I think I'll spend a few hours making staple sticks so I'll have them available to wrap when I get time

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From the inventor of the button trick, here's a cool video that teaches how to cure the heebie jeebies.
I saw that one. I wasn't sure about how to hook the loop around everything and think I got it wrong now that this video has a better close up of what's going on. I'll try again tomorrow for sure

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So this is my first attempt groove fusing anything. I did a groove fused staple/staggerton coil. It's not perfect but it's not so horrible that I would throw it away and not vape it. I figured out your clapton has to be really tight on the first pass for your fuse to stay consistent on the second pass. It's always great to learn new tricks:idea:View attachment 108194
looking good to me shred. a version of those are my new favorite squonk coils shred. if you look at the coil while squeezing your bottle, you can watch all the little holes wick juice up into them. I have the one in my squonk and a spare until I get more 40g.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Hey...I watched it again, first time was to see the spacing trick, this time I payed attention to prepping everything and wrapping but I have to ask you-

What are the heebie jeebies, :huh:
And did my ssfc have them?!

Do you mean turning the stick into a coil and it bending out of shape?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey...I watched it again, first time was to see the spacing trick, this time I payed attention to prepping everything and wrapping but I have to ask you-

What are the heebie jeebies, :huh:
And did my ssfc have them?!

Do you mean turning the stick into a coil and it bending out of shape?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/heebie-jeebies
Lots of stopping, leaning over with a magnifying glass, back forward back forward... sounds to me like "a general feeling of uneasiness".

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
This is the video I followed! Well one of them but the only thing that didn't work for me were the clothes pins - only ones I had were big and too heavy. But yeah that video is gold.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
well there was a page or two back a few weeks ago with a bunch of wobbly staples and misery, and here we are with a bunch of great looking staple variants. you guys are doing great work in here every day :cheers:
Oh I'm still on the struggle bus, trust me. It's just that soon I might be able to get off of it! It's funny, when I see a cassette tape now I'm like hmmm, will it fraple?

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I love building with SS... IDK what it is about it but everything just works so well. The 36g alien decore just wraps so beautifully idk how to explain it. Still haven’t vaped any of it but love using it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I've noticed for me it is much easier to alien with SS vs Ni80. I'd do it more often but I usually stick with Ni80 to keep the resistance up a tad.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I've noticed for me it is much easier to alien with SS vs Ni80. I'd do it more often but I usually stick with Ni80 to keep the resistance up a tad.

Yeah man for sure... the SS was just falling into place when doing the aliens... I barely had to do anything!

I never vaped SS before but I got the Boxer Dna250c coming on Monday and want to be ready for replay! I also want to start stocking up because once the DNA250c becomes more readily available, SS Fraliens will be in demand!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is the video I followed! Well one of them but the only thing that didn't work for me were the clothes pins - only ones I had were big and too heavy. But yeah that video is gold.

When I did my first own coil build (back in February last year) that video wasn't available yet... only the button trick was (and also of course Squidoode's video tutorial of the staple staggered fused clapton). I did know about someone else on YouTube using mini clothespins in some other type of coil build, but I can't remember who it was or which coil build, and, what I ended up doing instead was I used a 1 inch key ring with small pieces of masking tape attached to it in such a way that the masking tape was acting like a cushion between the key ring and the spaced claptons. The masking tape prevented the key ring from kinking up the spaced claptons, and also it prevented the key ring from wanting to easily slide off of the spaced claptons because it gave the key ring some better grip. One of the first things I bought when I decided to give coil building a try was a roll of masking tape. Masking tape is dirt cheap, yet, depending how you use it, it can be worth its weight in gold.

P.S., you don't even need any nylon tipped pliers because you can just wrap a piece of masking tape about 10 times around each tip of your regular pliers. The masking tape I use is by a brand called Tesa... it is a little bit more adhesive compared to other brands so IMO it is much easier to work with.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I did my first own coil build (back in February last year) that video wasn't available yet... only the button trick was (and also of course Squidoode's video tutorial of the staple staggered fused clapton). I did know about someone else on YouTube using mini clothespins in some other type of coil build, but I can't remember who it was or which coil build, and, what I ended up doing instead was I used a 1 inch key ring with small pieces of masking tape attached to it in such a way that the masking tape was acting like a cushion between the key ring and the spaced claptons. The masking tape prevented the key ring from kinking up the spaced claptons, and also it prevented the key ring from wanting to easily slide off of the spaced claptons because it gave the key ring some better grip. One of the first things I bought when I decided to give coil building a try was a roll of masking tape. Masking tape is dirt cheap, yet, depending how you use it, it can be worth its weight in gold.

P.S., you don't even need any nylon tipped pliers because you can just wrap a piece of masking tape about 10 times around each tip of your regular pliers. The masking tape I use is by a brand called Tesa... it is a little bit more adhesive compared to other brands so IMO it is much easier to work with.
Great tip on the masking tape. Was looking local for Plasti dip of some sort. But have tape on hand.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When wrapping triple cores, is it possible to have too much tension on the cores causing them to collapse? Using swivels

Edit: I'm talking about tension caused by the drill and swivels. Not the actual process of wrapping

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When wrapping triple cores, is it possible to have too much tension on the cores causing them to collapse? Using swivels

Edit: I'm talking about tension caused by the drill and swivels. Not the actual process of wrapping
Just enough tension to keep the cores snug is all the tension you need. If they're not pulled snug they will almost certainly collapse, but if you use too much tension, then you'll only put more stress on the swivel, which will then start to twist the cores together, and, together = same thing as "bunched up" so you don't want that.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know how much difference there is but when I do a framed staple I have a bunch of sliders. To keep everything tight. Hell I may be doing it wrong myself. But again staple and 2 core fused is as far as I've made it. I know others with more experience will chime in.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't know how much difference there is but when I do a framed staple I have a bunch of sliders. To keep everything tight. Hell I may be doing it wrong myself. But again staple and 2 core fused is as far as I've made it. I know others with more experience will chime in.

With framed staples I see absolutely no harm in using a bunch of sliders. But with aliens the sliders are a major PITA because you have to stop the drill to move them, and, starting the drill back up again without immediately causing a flurb has never been an easy thing for me to do (with 28g Ni80 cores and 38g Ni80 alien wrap wire─which is how I made my first own alien coil build about one week after I got into building my own coils) so I guess aliens tend to be a different breed.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With framed staples I see absolutely no harm in using a bunch of sliders. But with aliens the sliders are a major PITA because you have to stop the drill to move them, and, starting the drill back up again without immediately causing a flurb has never been an easy thing for me to do (with 28g Ni80 cores and 38g Ni80 alien wrap wire─which is how I made my first own alien coil build about one week after I got into building my own coils) so I guess aliens tend to be a different breed.
Ah ok. I can see that. Especially when you have a good run going who wants to stop.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First attempt at staggered fused clapton. I think I got the stagger. Sort of Just gotta learn to fuse this thing a lot better. The clean spaced section looks good in the second pic but I think it's supposed to be like the tight section. I'll get there.
06c53a705358d67dd98b3fa7d10ef710.jpg
8fa4a4b7acc5c561ef24e7b099d5cbf4.jpg

Here it is wrapped up. The second wrap in that one spot looks ok to me but the rest is shite. Lol
a9adfffe355318b8d6d3f09c320f207e.jpg

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What?? Making another stick and the stagger got janky on me so I cut that loss and had enough to mess with it still. And whaddya know. Got some inconsistency but I think I got the flow.
f24c82a3a70d5ddc847b7b30843a66f4.jpg
191049717394146d9478384ae0514d43.jpg
525845fc5327e6909e5121fdc6b1dfb1.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What?? Making another stick and the stagger got janky on me so I cut that loss and had enough to mess with it still. And whaddya know. Got some inconsistency but I think I got the flow.

Awesome!!! That rocks man

That first one looks really cool how it skips and goes at an angle, I've been thinking about trying that on purpose cause it looks so rad

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Word! I bet by tomorrow you'll have it down flawless!

For my staggered fused claptons, I still use my magnifying goggles, mainly due to OCD :p

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah ok. I can see that. Especially when you have a good run going who wants to stop.

It's not just that. The faster you spin the drill, the more forcefully the outer cores are slamming the wraps into place so it becomes a lot more forgiving as a result, and that is despite I agree it doesn't appear like it makes a whole lot of logical sense─until after you've actually tried it... so believe it or not, the slow speed at which you start the drill back up again after every pause is what's causing the most trouble (that is, if all the prep work is done right, your swivels aren't shitty, you aren't using too much tension on the drill, and you're using no real tension on the stretched decore).

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hehe thanks

Still got the issue I picked up in my review?

Well, not last time, it was fiddly but got the shorts out

This time wrapping the second coil backwards was an accident...lol :oops: not used to wrapping with pliers yet

I will say, no shorting issue if you just use two holes lol

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Well, not last time, it was fiddly but got the shorts out

This time wrapping the second coil backwards was an accident...lol :oops: not used to wrapping with pliers yet

I will say, no shorting issue if you just use two holes lol

Have you tried the top cap?

VU Sponsors