Post your builds

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by Vape_geek, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Jriley

Jriley Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Ok, if you had swivels I lay a Clapton like normal except at the start I purposely gap the first few wraps and Clapton normally rest of the stick (well half way to 60%) then I Clapton again but start in those gaps first so it spreads it apart as you go and is perfect. When your done what I like to do is slide it off and glue each end then stretch. How I do my interlocks anyways[​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2. mach1ne

mach1ne Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    heres my wire sacrifice for the night. stapled helix 10 x .4mm/twisted 30 ss316 frames/5 x 40 mystery wire fuse, 4mm 4.5 wraps, .14 ohms. the ribbon is mixed ka1 and mystery wire...the mystery wire is some samples the guy at the vape shop gave me. its unknown composition, the only info i can find on it is that its 'hybrid wire'. i think the guy told me it was a mix of 316, n80 and ka1...but i have no idea if he actually knows lol...it colors up nice, and a tester coil vs wire wizard says its a little bit higher than n80 in resistance. i ran out of the 40 before i could finish the last wrap, but i think it looks cool with a space in it...my first stapled helix:
    Capture1.JPG
    Capture.JPG

3. KingPin!

KingPin! Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    And tick hahahaha great job matey coloured up nice! hows the vape you like it?

KarmicRage and mach1ne like this.
  4. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    so far so good. this is my first build in the deathtrap, and my first stapled helix, so i really dont know what i should even expect yet :huh: even the wire was a mystery. i missed the mark a little on performance, so its got a slower ramp up, but its not bad. somewhere between ok and a weak good. if i built it over again i would skip the ka1, consider more plies of mystery wire, and i have a bit of experimenting to do regarding coil size and position. i thought 4mm would be big in there but it aint.

KarmicRage, KingPin! and Pegleg Meg like this.
  5. Darthvaper510

Darthvaper510 New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's was monkey hair....that mystery wire u speak of...NICE BUILD by the way

mach1ne, KarmicRage and Pegleg Meg like this.
  6. KingPin!

KingPin! Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Is that the 24 or 30mm?

Pegleg Meg and KarmicRage like this.
  7. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Got some toothless pliers and new cutters today! And hot glue for later down the road
    IMG_20180111_102041_HDR_crop_876x709.jpg

Thatch760, Wtmke1, mach1ne and 5 others like this.
  8. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Nichrome 80 and 316SS, vaping nickel hurts my throat so I messed around with it and got one inch of this,

I did it backwards I think, I claptoned spaced all the way down and then started claptoning again from the opposite end, messed up halfway down, so after decoring I did regular alien until I got to the double strand part and had no clue how to stretch it, but surprised myself, I got an idea of it now anyway

Screenshot_20180111-122950_crop_1080x1200.jpg
    I want to have a pretty color coil like you guys even if I can't use it :giggle:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Thatch760, Wtmke1, mach1ne and 3 others like this.
  9. KarmicRage

KarmicRage Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Awesome @Pegleg Meg. I haven't even attempted an interlocked alien yet but after @Jriley explaining how he does a Clapton between a Clapton I might have to have a crack at it. Smashing these coils out though, well done :)

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

10. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    its the 30 :cheers:

KingPin!, KarmicRage and Pegleg Meg like this.
  11. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Screenshot_20180111-151101_crop_1080x1200.jpg
    Colorful junk!

Darthvaper510, Jriley, Wtmke1 and 3 others like this.
  12. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    @Pegleg Meg i always wanted to learn that braid so i could try something like this build:
    797d6b63fcfa178eebd8b96e0e2586bd077c6642.jpg
    looks like its just hammered flat and staged with round wire. its so cool looking though, it reminds me of some kind of viking jewelry...no idea how it would vape, but its one of my bucket list builds.

nice interlock aliens as well. your progress is mind boggling. i cant wait to see where you end up in a year from now if you decide to keep going :cheers:

13. Jriley

Jriley Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    The key is washing them, ultrasonic cleaners do well but for crazy color shots it takes alot more, makeup brush and Dawn dish soap, rinse with warm water and don't touch it with your fingers. Slow pulses on low wattage like 20 .. you'll find hot spots they'll color first so carefully wiggle/work them out so they'll color together. Quite a chore but some of the most rewarding

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

14. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Aw man that's cool, I could do that maybe. I wonder if I can dig up some fine grit sandpaper for after I hammersmush it and make it nice and shiny,

Or use my 22awg and make a nice Viking bracelet!
    Thank you, I had no clue what was involved!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Jriley, KarmicRage and mach1ne like this.
  15. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    if your hammer and anvil/surface are smooth, your hammered wire will be very shiny. if your surface/tools are scratched up your wire will be marred. i like the hammered/shiny look, but polished is nice too. i often think about trying to make a huge (like 2 inch wide) alien bracelet, but it would be soooo hard to wrap alien wraps that big.

pulse your coils in the dark too, its easier to catch hotspots before they get too hot/blow through all the colors...and dont strum your wraps with the tweezers or whatever, that will scratch the colors off and wreck your photo.

Jriley, Pegleg Meg and KarmicRage like this.
  16. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    I spent 20 minutes in the Craft section of Wally World today, allllmost got a 2-sided jewelry mallet

mach1ne likes this.
  17. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    i saw the prices on stuff at micheals craft shop for hammer and jewelers anvil, and i cheaped out and got some from a hardware store. the little hammer i got is ok, but i got a small bench anvil and it has marks all over it from the builds i have done (mostly boneyards and a handful of cat tracks). it chews up whatever i hammer on it now, so i either dont flip them over (the hammered side is still shiny), or polish them after with sandpaper (from the auto detailing isle in packs ranging from 300 to 2k grit). not bad for half the price of the craft store, but if i did more builds that required hammering i would definitely buy the good anvil at least.

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  18. ScReWbALL

ScReWbALL Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I recently went back and found the Caterpillar Track Tutorial that I first learned about flattening wire and found stuff similar to his (Twisted Messes) setup but I haven’t had the extra funds to spend on it even though it seems relatively cheap. On eBay they have what he used listed as a Chasing Hammer (Domed)
    [​IMG]
    And then the craft store Micheals had a nice looking steel block with rubber feet on it [​IMG]
    Was thinking of picking them up and trying out flattening some of my builds for fun and for around $22 for both, that’s not too bad price-wise. Either that or going back to a rusted chunk of a broken I-Beam and a ball-peen hammer so old that it’s quite possibly the original, lol. Oh, and obviously the dirty sock cushion that was embarrassingly pointed out to me...I think it was on this thread, at least. [​IMG]

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  19. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Don't be embarassed, I thought at first that was a pair of tighty whities under the sock, relieved it was just the pillar lol

20. ScReWbALL

Blog Posts:
    Only embarrassing because I didn’t catch it in the picture before I posted it, lol. But yeah, that’s just a pillar...was having to grab that I-Beam from my parents place and wanted to try it out first and they didn’t appreciate the *Ting* *Ting* *Ting* sound as much as I did, so, had to take it outside to try it out and that pillar was the perfect height.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

21. Zohmbiebuilds

Zohmbiebuilds Previously zombievapereview Silver Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I need the builds gods to open another position for me. I'm having trouble with aliens. It's the same shit I just need more practice. Honestly streaching is easy. It's keeping the core together. Im gonna get some 24 g Nichrome tomorrow weather permitting. It's a fucking blizzard out there tonight

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

22. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    Best thing to keep cores straight is some ribbon binding that's been flattened. Or to bind and glue at each end, then pull on the legs while the glue is still moist to straighten them out. Seems to work better the latter way as you don't need a slider as well, just lead the alien ever so slightly and it'll wrap into place itself. Also easier to get long pieces if you don't have to use a slider as you don't have to stop and start

mach1ne and Pegleg Meg like this.
  23. ScReWbALL

Blog Posts:
    You might be overstretching your decore. If anything, you should understretch instead, when rewrapping the decore it should keep your cores in line and flat from being tight...bunching up of the cores can happen if they aren’t tight against core wires...make sure they don’t have any “wiggle room”.

24. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    Ribbon and glue both ends then pulled to make straight. [​IMG][​IMG]

Thatch760 and Pegleg Meg like this.
  25. ScReWbALL

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I use painters tape or frog tape on each end of my cores and use pliers to crimp the tape down onto it (just don’t squeeze so hard that the core wires shift or separate).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Thatch760, KarmicRage and Pegleg Meg like this.
  26. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    All sorts of little tricks out there for you to try, it's just finding one you can work with. I personally tried tape but couldn't get things to stay straight, that's when I tried ribbon wire sliders and that seemed to help me. There's a paper clip method, keyring method, ribbon slider method. There's even 3d printed patino's to keep your cores straight but they're pretty expensive and ribbon does the exact same job as long as you carefully get the wire as tight together under the ribbon as possible so there's no chance of a wire jumping out of its space

Pegleg Meg and ScReWbALL like this.
  27. ScReWbALL

Blog Posts:
    Exactly...just have to find what works for you. Once you have your “Ah Ha!” moment where you feel the groove catch just right and start wrapping right, do whatever feels best for you to recreate it. I have some pretty odd ways of holding wire when it’s acting particular ways that would look insane to another builder, but it’s what I gotta do to get things going how I like.

Wtmke1, Pegleg Meg and KarmicRage like this.
  28. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    alien zipper for para-series...just my typical hog build (4mm 5.5 wrap 28ka1 aliens), but i did the coils separately, and i did one backwards for the zipper effect:
    alienzipper.JPG

i took the stapled helix out of here and put it in a csmnt on a parallel box, and i realized that its either my notorious tube, or the ijoy 26650 that was making the rampup on this thing suck...its pretty amazing on a parallel box at the same (theoretical) voltage.
    csmnt.JPG

29. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    Nice work @mach1ne very hard to do builds backwards but that zipper alien is flawless

30. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    thanks @KarmicRage :cheers: i just had my first vape off that bastard and its great. the stapled helix was too small for the deathtrap and was lacking flavor. its great in the csmnt, but more importantly, the deathtrap is an amazing vape now. i was a little down on it at first (wrong color, wrong/poorly performing build, overall bad first impression).

31. ScReWbALL

Blog Posts:
    That is awesome...I’ve never even thought to try that, but I can only imagine how difficult working that build backwards can be. What did the alien zipper Ohm out at?

mach1ne and KarmicRage like this.
  32. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    it came out to .26 :cheers:

Pegleg Meg likes this.
  33. Brad Mitchell

Brad Mitchell Bronze Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I do believe that since you are sharing the load on 2 batteries that the voltage drop is alot less which means you are actually hitting the coils with a higher voltage

Pegleg Meg, mach1ne and KarmicRage like this.
  34. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    yeah, and the ijoy isnt known for hitting hard in the first place, compared to good 18650s...it was just a surprise to see the difference. all the builds i have run on the ijoy have been big builds for 30mm atomizers at a bit less than 30 amps, so i am not familiar with them on parallel boxes or anything else (dont have a parallel box big enough to run a 30mm atty). learning all the time :cheers:

35. Carambrda

Carambrda Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
  36. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Had a go with the slentre braid today pretty pleased for my first go 26g 316L cores 34g N80 braid came at 0.1ohm bang on for my parralel :)

the deathtrap 24mm definitely wakes up with a 4mm coil it in

D1E32DAF-63AA-42A1-A12A-48DA50991B30.jpeg
    3EF8CAB2-0747-4C49-B746-1920787B6424.jpeg
    69E4F3C0-4F1A-4A29-8B6B-90075ECCF805.jpeg

37. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    KingPin! and KarmicRage like this.
  38. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Thanks mate a whole day’s building and this is all I had to show for it :( had a miserable time with builds today and probably won’t get another chance for a while

was trying to do a Stapleton with 3 sets of 4 stack ribbon spaced with 38g then ran two 28g cores in between was going so well and I just could not get the final wrap to settle to bind it all together without it collapsing really pissed me off so thought bollocks I’ll have a go with braiding

Pegleg Meg, mach1ne and KarmicRage like this.
  39. CrazyChef v2.0

CrazyChef v2.0 Gold Contributor Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Way too many cat track wires. My eyes started going buggy towards the end of pounding these things.

[​IMG]

Drake m, KingPin!, Thatch760 and 4 others like this.
  40. Wtmke1

Wtmke1 Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Much more hammer work and we can call you John Henry. Ha ha.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pegleg Meg and CrazyChef v2.0 like this.
  41. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    those days suck...but they teach us more than spending the day making easy builds. did you manage to recover/keep your bits and pieces from the stag build? they might become something else later, or even a second try at the same thing?

Pegleg Meg, KingPin! and KarmicRage like this.
  42. Darthvaper510

Darthvaper510 New Member

Blog Posts:
    A little weekend rewick a
    4 core interlocking alien
    Framed tsuka
    3core fused Clapton
    A clean mods a happy mod lol 20180113_224743.jpg 20180113_213229.jpg 20180113_212914.jpg 20180113_212111.jpg

Mykreign, Pegleg Meg, Drake m and 4 others like this.
  43. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    I coiled it anyway :D bits of it were ok just looked messy

44. mach1ne

Blog Posts:
    4th attempt and the first one i finished. alien staggs:
    alienstagg1.JPG
    alienstagg.JPG

spacing is a little rough, but overall im very happy to finally complete the build...maybe surprised is a better word, or shocked :eek:

Mykreign, Pegleg Meg, Drake m and 2 others like this.
  45. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Congrats mate looking good! So is it gonna be a build you keep trying?

mach1ne and KarmicRage like this.
  46. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    Nice work dude. It is a bitch n a half getting that spacing clean isn't it lol

mach1ne likes this.
  47. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Just a little ol fused clapton. But getting the hang of it now it think. 2x28x36 ss[​IMG]

48. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
    Stunning coil great job Wtmke1 :cheers:

Pegleg Meg, Wtmke1 and KarmicRage like this.
  49. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    Lovely work @Wtmke1

Pegleg Meg, Mykreign and Wtmke1 like this.
  50. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone just popped out enough for a couple more 26core FC. Think I've got this part down. Should have 500 feet of n80 here tomorrow if tracking is right.

Pegleg Meg, mach1ne, Mykreign and 2 others like this.