Become a Patron!

Post your builds

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not technically cheating la, it's just one technique that can be used to achieve the same ends. I still use a weighted bull clip for spacing my staggered builds atm as I haven't got the technique down for paraclap yet. I don't consider it cheating, anyway.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not technically cheating la, it's just one technique that can be used to achieve the same ends. I still use a weighted bull clip for spacing my staggered builds atm as I haven't got the technique down for paraclap yet. I don't consider it cheating, anyway.

You just typed greek to me. LOL :confused:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not too proud to cheat
its not cheating to use any technique available, but ill give you a small warning regarding the spool tamer trick: if your wire isnt spooled properly and snags on itself, prepare for a shitstorm :cheers: especially if you are trying to go full auto and tape your drill trigger down lol (trust me). over time, i gave up on all the jigs and machines because they can make mistakes too. if i am gonna waste wire on a mistake, i will only accept my own mistakes i made with my own hands. dont rely on a coil making machine, become a coil making mach1ne :shades: (ill see myself out...)

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha sorry. This is the contraption of a bull clip I use for staggered Clapton builds at the minute, it's gripping 38g without any knots in and isn't falling off. Also a paraclap is wrapping 2 wires around a core parallel which is how the pros get their spacing perfect.
bc74e5cac3238d8a06818f8ddfc4b330.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. I cheated and used the Beadalon trick. I'm not too proud to cheat.
What's the trick to that?spool tamer? I looked for those at Walmart in the beadalon section and the woman had no clue what I was talking about

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's the trick to that?spool tamer? I looked for those at Walmart in the beadalon section and the woman had no clue what I was talking about

Amazon or a crafts store like hobby lobby or Michael’s. In jewelry making section with jewelry wire.

Best way to describe it is it pretty much wraps itself and all you do is hold drill and pull the trigger. Google search it and watch a video.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amazon or a crafts store like hobby lobby or Michael’s. In jewelry making section with jewelry wire.

Best way to describe it is it pretty much wraps itself and all you do is hold drill and pull the trigger. Google search it and watch a video.
Will definitely look that up. Thanks a bunch

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dont rely on a coil making machine, become a coil making mach1ne

I like that! And fully agree and second that. I might just have to steal that and make it my new sig, lol. I mean, if it’s something you have difficulty with and need a coil maker to do, or just don’t have the time, there’s nothing wrong with using them, but I wear the “Clapton Calluses” on my hands with pride, lol.

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like that! And fully agree and second that. I might just have to steal that and make it my new sig, lol. I mean, if it’s something you have difficulty with and need a coil maker to do, or just don’t have the time, there’s nothing wrong with using them, but I wear the “Clapton Calluses” on my hands with pride, lol.
i thought i was just making a bad pun...was expecting the hook to show up from stage left and drag me away :kickbutt:

the machines (like the daedalus) are great for anyone who wants a good vape. they will make fused claptons all day, once you dial them in. they can still make mistakes, but if you dont want to have to set up a build station and buy tools and spend time watching/reading/practicing, its the best way to go. my problem with them is that even though they are good, they make more mistakes than i do, so they have the potential to waste more time than they save me.

an update on my deathtrap. they mailed me back to say there was a mix up and they dont actually have stainless ones left. guess im stuck with the black one. kinda shitty, but at least i can build it and try it out now that i dont have to send it back and wait...if its good ill just try to find a ss version later :D now i just have to decide if im going to run in on the black hog or the notorious tube...

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i thought i was just making a bad pun...was expecting the hook to show up from stage left and drag me away :kickbutt:

In general threads you might have that happen, but I’d hope that wouldn’t happen in Builders Corner

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made some more for my bro 4×32×38 bunked up once when the cat decided he was guna play with the wire on the floor :wait:thats a first View attachment 100394

Ah yes...one of my gf’s cats has equated the sound of my drill with “time to play with the dangling wire”...I usually have one or two mess ups from either the cat pouncing on it or me reacting to seeing the cat approach out of the corner of my eye. I can clapton without looking at the wire with no problem, but have yet to perfect the no-look when re-wrapping decore. Now I keep a small water gun next to me at all times when building in the living room, but I’ve also yet to perfect the stop-and-restart without leaving a bit of a gap...but at least I get a bit of vengeance against the 4-legged spawn of Satan!

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah but when you're not building you know you like it when they crawl up in you lap and purr while napping.

Meh, not so much. I’m mildly allergic to cats, so, I could pass on that. It’s not so bad that I can’t live with them, but if I let them crawl all over me I start getting a bit of “Forrest Whittaker Eye” and if I ignore that long enough it’ll start itching. Taking allergy pills every morning keeps it from happening much, but I’m more of a dog person anyway...and not the little yappy rat-hybrid things - I live by the rule that in order to be considered a dog it must be larger than a football.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Tonight's attempt at the alien stagg. Getting cleaner. Still needs work to get it perfected. 5x28g/36g, ohms .16 and all ss316l.
b8e11ea46187cb0e3c498235c0ce173b.jpg

Looking great rage I’m jealous this is a bloody hard build

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will say though @KingPin! that it seems to me that the hardest part is the getting the spaced alien core down right. The alien wrap around the frames just seems to pull into place as long as you don't lead too much or too little. I'd say it's worth giving it a try, if I can get this far then I'm certain half you guys, at least, could achieve it too. Raymo made it seems real easy anyway. 2 decores, one wrapped around 28g the other wrapped around 24g. Lead at about 40 degrees from straight down or out and try to keep that angle. Don't know if it makes much difference but it seems like the decore for the cores is slightly overstretched to be able to wrap around without pinching too tightly or collapsing them. Just my thoughts on it upto now like, any more revelations while I'm working shit out and I'll pass it on :) again it's all thanks to @raymo2u that I got this far, cheers dude

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I will say though @KingPin! that it seems to me that the hardest part is the getting the spaced alien core down right. The alien wrap around the frames just seems to pull into place as long as you don't lead too much or too little. I'd say it's worth giving it a try, if I can get this far then I'm certain half you guys, at least, could achieve it too. Raymo made it seems real easy anyway. 2 decores, one wrapped around 28g the other wrapped around 24g. Lead at about 40 degrees from straight down or out and try to keep that angle. Don't know if it makes much difference but it seems like the decore for the cores is slightly overstretched to be able to wrap around without pinching too tightly or collapsing them. Just my thoughts on it upto now like, any more revelations while I'm working shit out and I'll pass it on :) again it's all thanks to @raymo that I got this far, cheers dude

Excellent info mate of all the builds this one I’ve been putting off and I just need to suck it up and get on with it!

Might aim for a single coil just to start I’m hoping to get a little time one weekend to crack out some builds again.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Excellent info mate of all the builds this one I’ve been putting off and I just need to suck it up and get on with it!

Might aim for a single coil just to start I’m hoping to get a little time one weekend to crack out some builds again.
I think it definitely looks more daunting than it feels actually trying it. It has that look of complexity but it really isn't that hard to attempt. I didn't even use bindings for the frames, that staggered alien core has more rigidity than you would think and as long as the frames are tight at the top and bottom they tend to stay exactly at the sides. I'm more of a big single coil vaper myself, don't mind a nice dual coil but I like them to look absolutely the same. Easier for me to vape a big single coil lol.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another attempt, needs to be cleaner still as I only got enough for a clean 3/4 coil but I like a 4/5 so got a bit fucked up on the last wrap. Only just wicked and juiced one last night though so won't be throwing this into use yet.
e0846f752ecc900cea98c02350399ef2.jpg
6644eaaf96d578ccf4d742b1a42d645a.jpg

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Another attempt, needs to be cleaner still as I only got enough for a clean 3/4 coil but I like a 4/5 so got a bit fucked up on the last wrap. Only just wicked and juiced one last night though so won't be throwing this into use yet.

Pretty pretty

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Looks like you could get 2 more half wraps which equals a whole if you catch my drift. Leave the shitty part at the post

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would try to shift it down but on the right where the wire looks fucked is where I started, it was later on that I messed up. Haven't got my pivot motion down quite yet for accurate staggering and fusing, Raymo just makes it look a breeze haha my elbow keeps slipping off my knee and fucking either the spacing or the fusing

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Very nice! I believe you have an inherent talent for this stuff!

Braiding is actually way easier and forgiving than even a 3 core clapton, as long as you tighten as you go. This braid doesn't take much longer than a 3-core clapton either, figuring in prep work, but it's just a pretty thing, I'd rather vape a clapton heh

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some recent stuff
7897e18f2fd5252a2498d8314ddef306.jpg
76ff9e910bb1b58f7da2fd0d5cd19aee.jpg
309fd039f6055fdd7b4e2f38ed1bacd1.jpg
be5538c93ede83f67f781a9537608943.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I’ve come to the conclusion that in order to pull off those beautiful Tsuka’s you guys had to have sold your souls...only question I have is who did you contact and can I get a discount for throwing in some ritual sacrifices?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hell, I’m struggling enough trying to get a good technique nailed down for this paraclaptoning to do some Interlocked Aliens. I don’t even want to guess how much 36ga I’ve burned through so far tonight and only managed to get one inch of anything that looks remotely like an Interlocked Alien.
4b5b214c8355ae4780bf215e7dc28eba.jpg

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And, of course...I finally nail the paraclapton and it comes off the core cleanly just to have me turn around and overstretch it...fml...just one of those nights where the coil gods are not with me

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
And, of course...I finally nail the paraclapton and it comes off the core cleanly just to have me turn around and overstretch it...fml...just one of those nights where the coil gods are not with me

You space the first little bit then clapton the next one between it?

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You space the first little bit then clapton the next one between it?

Riding a bit of a buzz from some sleep meds, so, I’m a bit foggy with following what you mean, lol.
Not sure how easy it is to tell from the pics (even using thicker gauge wire for the purpose of making it easier to see), but I’m interlacing the two strands of 36ga between my middle and ring fingers parallel and then having one strand running along the inside of my pinky and the other strand running on the outside of my pinky to help keep them from crossing...the part I’m pinching at the top is where I’m guiding it along the core.
I’m betting that the fact that I don’t use any type of swivel setup and am just freehanding it isn’t doing me any favors
de42665688a48f50932c133682881225.jpg
830622235d2c4fbaa357075e5dace8ef.jpg

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Riding a bit of a buzz from some sleep meds, so, I’m a bit foggy with following what you mean, lol.
Not sure how easy it is to tell from the pics (even using thicker gauge wire for the purpose of making it easier to see), but I’m interlacing the two strands of 36ga between my middle and ring fingers parallel and then having one strand running along the inside of my pinky and the other strand running on the outside of my pinky to help keep them from crossing...the part I’m pinching at the top is where I’m guiding it along the core.
I’m betting that the fact that I don’t use any type of swivel setup and am just freehanding it isn’t doing me any favors
de42665688a48f50932c133682881225.jpg
830622235d2c4fbaa357075e5dace8ef.jpg

Is it the act of wrappng that is the pain? If so when I did this to do a staggered fused Clapton all I did was pinch the wires with my pointer finger and thumb and spun the core. Now that was using 2 lengths of 30 gauge...it was my first and never did it again. But raymo2u used a Ziploc bag when claptoning I don't see why you couldn't do 2 Ziplocs.

VU Sponsors