Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no idea. That was months ago. It was only 6 ply with 28g frames and a 30/32g Clapton.

Over 0.1
I assumed the ribbon is .4 kanthal and the rest was ni80. (3mm 5 wrap ?)
Accordingly to Steam-Engine it should be around 0.231 Ω per coil ;).

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I assumed the ribbon is .4 kanthal and the rest was ni80. (3mm 5 wrap ?)
Accordingly to Steam-Engine it should be around 0.231 Ω per coil ;).
Ok thank you. I have to get better at using steam engine. Especually when it come to big builds like this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Haha awesome work and lot of endurance man! Really like the result and your work desk is pretty neat cool idea with the spool slider.

But I can highly recommend to try helixed staples, for some reasons for me they are easier to build and are a big step forward in performance and flavour (just my opinion)

Just keep your patience and congrats for this big step

Well had my first go at the helix staple Haven't got anything to mount them in yet :( still should come out around 0.15ohm...7wraps, 3mm diameter when my new RDA gets here

2 frames of twisted 28g KA1
6 x 0.4 x 0.1 KA1 ribbon
Wrapped with 38g NI80

My phone can't pick out the individual ribbons properly can just see it top left of the pic how they have stacked really pleased with these :)

Need to get myself one of those head magnifier things wrapping these by eye alone after half way I was going cross eyed lol hence spacing isn't spot on

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

Last edited:

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well had my first go at the helix staple Haven't got anything to mount them in yet :( still should come out around 0.15ohm...7wraps, 3mm diameter when my new RDA gets here

6 x 0.4 x 0.1 KA1 ribbon
Wrapped with 38g NI80

My phone can't pick out the individual ribbons properly can just see it top left of the pic how they have stacked really pleased with these :)

View attachment 78329

View attachment 78329

Damn man thats great! Ribbon is super hard to work with and takes some skill. Great job making those, that says a lot

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Damn man thats great! Ribbon is super hard to work with and takes some skill. Great job making those, that says a lot

Thanks matey :) getting the hang of working with ribbon now highly recommend getting a glue gun just holds everything in place whilst your working on it ....these were a bit of a pig to do the frames kept trying to twist out from the ribbon ...had to place a few spacers on the 13 inches or so I made to keep it all in check while I was hand winding ...even with those spacers they kept twisting round figured out I can't pull on it to hard when wrapping

zafirovp

Member For 2 Years
My very first dual coil build. What do you think? Its so much easier on YouTube.

26g Kanthal A1, 9 wraps on each side on Ud Zephyrus v2 RTA - 0.5 ohm on Evic Vtwo mini

What are the chances of this thing exploding while inhaling?

e1e50118a463a3295ca370b062f8d995.jpg
6df790604a8ef8d9822bc95f0ad78263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My very first dual coil build. What do you think? Its so much easier on YouTube.

26g Kanthal A1, 9 wraps on each side on Ud Zephyrus v2 RTA - 0.5 ohm on Evic Vtwo mini

Nice build! No chance of exploding. Not allot of amps pulling here. You should be plenty safe.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

GJ mate neat mounting and coiling...pain having to move the leg over isn't it :)

....next one to try is the clapton :) if it ohms out at 0.5 these will be tasty about 38-45 watts

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Don't get a gun, just the sticks. The gun puts out 20x more than you'd ever need.
Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

What do you mean with Sticks whiteowl?

Sticky tape? I struggle with tape find glue a lot easier

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks matey :) getting the hang of working with ribbon now highly recommend getting a glue gun just holds everything in place whilst your working on it ....these were a bit of a pig to do the frames kept trying to twist out from the ribbon ...had to place a few spacers on the 13 inches or so I made to keep it all in check while I was hand winding ...even with those spacers they kept twisting round figured out I can't pull on it to hard when wrapping
Yea i agree about the hot glue. I just take a lighter and heat up the end, dab it on the wire, then reheat it so the glue really gets around the wire good. Probably the best trick out there!

Twisted Vaping

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

6 x 0.4 x 0.1 KA1 ribbon
Wrapped with 38g NI80

Need to get myself one of those head magnifier things wrapping these by eye alone after half way I was going cross eyed lol hence spacing isn't spot on

View attachment 78329

View attachment 78329
Wow nice work man! They really don't look as if they where your first try, especially the coiling went out perfect.

What really helps with hand wrapping are nylon pliers or taped toothless pliers, just place them as near as possible at the point where you wrap and you can pull a bit more to get it more tightened. You should also pinch every wrap to get it more in place. With this method I have no problems with the ribbon getting out of stack all way down.

Maybe you could also use twisted 32GA if you want less wraps and higher resistance.

Tell me how you like them when you have mounted them

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Wow nice work man! They really don't look as if they where your first try, especially the coiling went out perfect.

What really helps with hand wrapping are nylon pliers or taped toothless pliers, just place them as near as possible at the point where you wrap and you can pull a bit more to get it more tightened. You should also pinch every wrap to get it more in place. With this method I have no problems with the ribbon getting out of stack all way down.

Maybe you could also use twisted 32GA if you want less wraps and higher resistance.

Tell me how you like them when you have mounted them

Good tip haven't got any 32 I do have 30 though just placed a bulk order to fill out some of the gauges I'm missing except 32!.... believe it or not I don't even have 36g at the moment .:(

Will let you know how they vape although need to find something they'll fit in first lol they are 14ml wide!

Also tried a spaced fused clapton damn... I failed miserably I could not for the life of me get the button trick to work.....then I tried just leading it by hand...finally hanging something ...the lead and wrap wire was too fine for me (was trying to use 38g as wrap and space wire is this right?) Need to nail this type of build before I attempt a staggerton

..anyway this is my sorry ass attempt funny isn't it I can knock out one of those ribbon builds alright but can't manage a spaced fused clapton ...mind you been messing about with builds most of the day pretty tired by this point

IMG_0955.JPG

Last edited:

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good tip haven't got any 32 I do have 30 though just placed a bulk order to fill out some of the gauges I'm missing except 32!.... believe it or not I don't even have 36g at the moment .:(

Will let you know how they vape although need to find something they'll fit in first lol they are 14ml wide!

Also tried a spaced fused clapton damn... I failed miserably I could not for the life of me get the button trick to work.....then I tried just leading it by hand...finally hanging something ...the lead and wrap wire was too fine for me (was trying to use 38g as wrap and space wire is this right?) Need to nail this type of build before I attempt a staggerton

..anyway this is my sorry ass attempt funny isn't it I can knock out one of those ribbon builds alright but can't manage a spaced fused clapton ...mind you been messing about with builds most of the day pretty tired by this point

View attachment 78358
The loop technique is all I've use for staggering. 3-4"diameter loop tensioned by my ring and pinkie fingers thsn hold wrap wire with index and thumb. I get decent results but next time ill try the button or weight the loop with an atty. 2months ago did this huge sf what a waste! .8ohm lmao!
4885e4ad2a111563f66843ae49f41a8b.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just want to update/clear up a post i made a while ago regarding usaohmmeter not shipping internationally. i tried to order a spin lt when they first came out and there was no option to ship to canada. i recently mentioned that here, and @scarecrowjenkins and @PhantomOp both kindly offered to help me out (thanks again guys :hug:). in the process of setting that up with scarecrow i re-read the shipping policy on the usaohmmeter site, which sates 'we now offer international shipping'. i finally got around to placing the order today and it worked. hopefully i didnt turn away any potential international customers with my previous post...

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here I was just doing my thang, prepping some wire to make aliens. For some dumb reason I thought it would be a great idea to roll the streched wire onto an empty spool and run the aliens like I would a clapton by holding the spool....never....again. A quarter of the way through, the wire got caught up on itself and I spent the better part of 30 mins trying to untangle it. Every spot in the wire that was caught up shows in the build. I think I'll stick to stringing the wire around my body where its far away from itself! The build is fugly, but it still vapes like a champ. Im not ashamed to show em, but I'm not proud of em either. These wont get the little sign man seal of approval graphic lol. Next set will be boss:facepalm:
0330172225_HDR.jpg 0330172225a_HDR.jpg 0330172234_HDR.jpg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Here I was just doing my thang, prepping some wire to make aliens. For some dumb reason I thought it would be a great idea to roll the streched wire onto an empty spool and run the aliens like I would a clapton by holding the spool....never....again. A quarter of the way through, the wire got caught up on itself and I spent the better part of 30 mins trying to untangle it. Every spot in the wire that was caught up shows in the build. I think I'll stick to stringing the wire around my body where its far away from itself! The build is fugly, but it still vapes like a champ. Im not ashamed to show em, but I'm not proud of em either. These wont get the little sign man seal of approval graphic lol. Next set will be boss:facepalm:
View attachment 78365 View attachment 78367 View attachment 78368

See signman that could have been an awesome technique to use so wasnt in vain and those aliens still look great :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
The loop technique is all I've use for staggering. 3-4"diameter loop tensioned by my ring and pinkie fingers thsn hold wrap wire with index and thumb. I get decent results but next time ill try the button or weight the loop with an atty. 2months ago did this huge sf what a waste! .8ohm lmao!
4885e4ad2a111563f66843ae49f41a8b.jpg

looks great much much better than my sorry attempt id be well happy if they came out like that ....I'll try again soon!

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 78365 View attachment 78367 View attachment 78368
Iirc Rambo actually spools his up. It can be done but you can't let them lay on each other.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
stitched alien framed staples in one of the postless decks for the combo tank. 6x.3 ka1/2x 30 ka1/38 n80/42 n80 .17 ohms
Capture.PNG
there was a bit of a problem with the two wrap wires getting kind of twisted up. wraps would slowly start to get a bit janky and i had to stop and gently slide my hand down the length of decore and smooth out the twists. next time i will try to remember to do that when i stop to move my slider and hopefully it will go smoother.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
stitched alien framed staples in one of the postless decks for the combo tank. 6x.3 ka1/2x 30 ka1/38 n80/42 n80 .17 ohms
View attachment 78397
there was a bit of a problem with the two wrap wires getting kind of twisted up. wraps would slowly start to get a bit janky and i had to stop and gently slide my hand down the length of decore and smooth out the twists. next time i will try to remember to do that when i stop to move my slider and hopefully it will go smoother.

Awesome machine great looking coils right there

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 78397
Sweet! Cant even see a bobble.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome machine great looking coils right there
thanks man :cheers: i have been meaning to do a pair for a while, and i had time to do whatever i wanted tonight so i went for it.

i made them for my old cuboid, which can barely give 4v to anything below .2ohms. they are a little hotter than regular alien wraps, so i can run them at 80-90w/3.7-3.9v and hopefully get a full tank on a full set of batteries.

@Dustyjeans :cheers:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I haven't tried the button trick with 38g, but with 36g Ni80 and wrapping it around 26g Kanthal there's just nothing to it, at least that's what I found. Did you attach the top part of the little piece of wire on the swivel side of your lead so that only the bottom part of it is attached on the drill side of your lead?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Did you attach the top part of the little piece of wire on the swivel side of your lead so that only the bottom part of it is attached on the drill side of your lead?

Sorry carambrda don't get what you mean?

Twisted Vaping

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No kidding I would love to be able to build that good, that fast! Thats very impressive
Damn! Wish i could crank em out that fast.

No kidding I would love to be able to build that good, that fast! Thats very impressive

Thanks Mates :D really apreciate that. but to be honest the wraps are Not perfect or really Instagram worthy, but These are supposed to be work machines and Not to show. Their only damn Job is to heat my juice :D i experienced that a good Pair may Last months when you treat and clean them right.
I was really surpised that These coils with corrugated ribbon Stay clean for a very Long Time and even After a week without dryburning they taste like the very first day.

By the way... i only use the Button trick for staggering and i Drill wrap my helix.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry carambrda don't get what you mean?
When you use a short piece of the wrap wire to tie the button down to your core wire, do you tie it down like shown in the video, i.e., on the drill side of your lead ( =wrap wire that you are claptoning around your core)? If yes, try doing it like I explained several pages ago, i.e. by placing the topmost part of this little piece of wire (the part of it that goes on top of your core wire) on the swivel side of your lead as opposed to placing it on the drill side of that.

EDIT - Oh and don't forget, to keep the button from hopping around you should attach some weight to the ends of the little piece of wire (I use my Coil Master wire cutter for a weight). Also, I find that letting the spool of the lead wire dangle underneath the front edge of table is what works best because then the lead stays snug (but doesn't get pulled overly tight) and vertical (if you help it stay vertical using your finger at the front edge of the table). Another way to do it, and that doesn't require a button, is this:

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
When you use a short piece of the wrap wire to tie the button down to your core wire, do you tie it down like shown in the video, i.e., on the drill side of your lead ( =wrap wire that you are claptoning around your core)? If yes, try doing it like I explained several pages ago, i.e. by placing the topmost part of this little piece of wire (the part of it that goes on top of your core wire) on the swivel side of your lead as opposed to placing it on the drill side of that.

Ahh ok get what you mean think I did it drill side I'll give it a go as you mentioned ...I had a hard time tying the button down was trying to use 38g 316L at the time was springy as hell just wouldnt bend easily I'll try using NI80 instead as well :) gonna give them another go later ...just got to take the littlen out on an Easter egg hunt this morning/afternoon before I have some free time ....let you know how I get on

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ahh ok get what you mean think I did it drill side I'll give it a go as you mentioned ...I had a hard time tying the button down was trying to use 38g 316L at the time was springy as hell just wouldnt bend easily I'll try using NI80 instead as well :) gonna give them another go later ...just got to take the littlen out on an Easter egg hunt this morning/afternoon before I have some free time ....let you know how I get on
I just edited my post.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I just edited my post.
Yeah I watched this vid I can't use that spool technique as mine aren't perfectly round for some reason the crazy wire Company spools have a large notch in them so the coil master bits get trapped and it fails miserably
IMG_0956.JPG

Could try sanding them down but then spool will have funny shape ?

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I watched this vid I can't use that spool technique as mine aren't perfectly round for some reason the crazy wire Company spools have a large notch in them so the coil master bits get trapped and it fails miserably
View attachment 78496

Could try sanding them down but then spool will have funny shape ?
Yeah, all of my Nichrome (excepting my 28g, which is from UD) is from Crazywire too, and so is my .5x.1 Kanthal ribbon. I kept thinking the reason it's called Crazywire is because it's always driving people crazy. :p

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Mates :D really apreciate that. but to be honest the wraps are Not perfect or really Instagram worthy, but These are supposed to be work machines and Not to show. Their only damn Job is to heat my juice :D i experienced that a good Pair may Last months when you treat and clean them right.
I was really surpised that These coils with corrugated ribbon Stay clean for a very Long Time and even After a week without dryburning they taste like the very first day.

By the way... i only use the Button trick for staggering and i Drill wrap my helix.
I can appreciate that.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Well my 3rd attempt at the staggered fused clapton thanks for the button update @Carambrda worked a treat this time:) I ended up using a wooden clothes peg to push the button close to the wire, which both held the wire in place without having to sod about tying it on, and acted as a weight as well hehe ...These are spot on couldn't see any defects managed to make enough for 3 coils I'm bloody ecstatic!

Used 2x28g cores 316L, spaced wraps 38g 316L
Final fused wrap 38g 316L

Used a 2.5mm diameter and 7 wraps...These should ohm out about 0.37 each gonna put them into the pindad and white bone mini I think :)

IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well my 3rd attempt at the staggered fused clapton thanks for the button update @Carambrda worked a treat this time:) I ended up using a wooden clothes peg to push the button close to the wire, which both held the wire in place without having to sod about tying it on, and acted as a weight as well hehe ...These are spot on couldn't see any defects managed to make enough for 3 coils I'm bloody ecstatic!

Used a 2.5mm diameter and 7 wraps...These should ohm out about 0.37 each gonna put them into the pindad and white bone mini I think :)

View attachment 78511
View attachment 78511
Lookin good! Before you know it youll be able to wind these up at 2500 rpm.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Lookin good! Before you know it youll be able to wind these up at 2500 rpm.

Yeah I kept my drill in 1st gear for this one although had button fully down unless I'm just coiling a clapton don't like using 3rd gear it's like warp 8

Twisted Vaping

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

View attachment 78511
View attachment 78511

Wow Great work man! They Look perfect you got the spacing 100% :D

The Next logical Step is the SSFC ;)

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I kept my drill in 1st gear for this one although had button fully down unless I'm just coiling a clapton don't like using 3rd gear it's like warp 8
Youll get used to it. When i started using a corded drill for long run claptons and staggering claptons i was happy with how fast i could pop out the simple builds. I still use the cordless for the complex builds of course.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Right onto the next coil type what shall I try next? :)

1) staggerton
2) alien coils (I'm yet to make enough for two decent coils)
3) dragon skin
4) tiger coil
5) stitched something or other
6) something else I haven't listed

Can't do anything corrugated yet don't have anything to corrugate them with at the moment

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
New Bench! Along with new photoshoot stuff and chair! Took a while to clean the office all out for all the stuff and put it all together but now instead of having a 2ft x 4ft shelf to work in I have a 6.5ft workbench with velour laid drawers and a wise at the end. I think Im going to bolt down my swivels to the vise jaw so I can increase my wire length room by a foot if I wanted to (for wholesale activities)

17595843_410321896006856_1623141108357791744_n.jpg

I want to take off the photoshoot stuff and make its own bench on the back wall to free up the bench more but for now this is great....everything in one spot and plenty of room for both.

Some new stuff...

Quad Interlock Aliens...Ive only seen 3 other people make these and let me tell you, they are a nightmare, even with the tricks I used to pull it off.

17587321_444573819267989_2707505271244062720_n.jpg

Some Hybrids:

17437691_395559217489465_7654255105910243328_n.jpg
17662829_727799277403118_2887186533742280704_n.jpg

VU Sponsors