Become a Patron!

Post your builds

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not gutsy enough or have the money yet to buy the wire needed to try any elaborate builds. One day I want to get to where I can asst least start making my own custom claptons.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm not gutsy enough or have the money yet to buy the wire needed to try any elaborate builds. One day I want to get to where I can asst least start making my own custom claptons.

When you go to buy wire message me first and Ill send you links to some of the best deals for wire.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got myself a avocado this past week loving it on my rx200

fa43f7fcbb98e4fca4c8ba9b2e3cd454.jpg
5bcce5a43de067e1dd47f7284cf8e124.jpg
Holy coil crud, batman! Hope you cleaned them coils after you took that pic

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you go to buy wire message me first and Ill send you links to some of the best deals for wire.
First thing I need to do is learn to wrap without a coil jig though. I have the UD coil kit and it's great, but to do anything besides traditional micro coils I need to learn to do without out.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
First thing I need to do is learn to wrap without a coil jig though. I have the UD coil kit and it's great, but to do anything besides traditional micro coils I need to learn to do without out.

I use the UD Jig with the straight cut on the handle....
80-0901-000_4.jpg

Its great for the advanced coils but I may be picking up the new Cthulhu Jig as you can pin the wire with a screw and then wrap the coil....with the Jig above you have to hold your wire with your thumb and then wrap your coil...sometimes it slips out and then you need to re-position it which can ruin a build.

I wish the damn pole on all the jigs were longer by atleast a half inch...

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
80-0901-000_4.jpg

Its great for the advanced coils but I may be picking up the new Cthulhu Jig as you can pin the wire with a screw and then wrap the coil....with the Jig above you have to hold your wire with your thumb and then wrap your coil...sometimes it slips out and then you need to re-position it which can ruin a build.

That's a great idea. I think that I'll cut that slit. That will help alot and I can do some better builds that way too. Thanks

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's a great idea. I think that I'll cut that slit. That will help alot and I can do some better builds that way too. Thanks

They make that jig like that but if you can manage it then by all means ;)

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
80-0901-000_4.jpg

I think it's the coilmaster v3? It has the poles you're looking for, bu doesn't have that nice slot or anything to hold the wire for fancier builds.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think it's the coilmaster v3? It has the poles you're looking for, bu doesn't have that nice slot or anything to hold the wire for fancier builds.
Yea I want that pole length for the UD Jig....Ive tried some other Coil kits like the Kuro, CM V2 and a handful of other cheaper kits but none of them are good for advanced builds...The UD kit is the best so far for them.
The other Jigs I was looking as were:
LINK and LINK

or this:

0.jpg

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Holy coil crud, batman! Hope you cleaned them coils after you took that pic

Well I have not it hasn't bothered me much. But yes it's overdue.
that's about 10 days of using it, kinda surprised it's only that bad.

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have been eyeing the coil master v3 but mainly for the wire cutters with everything else as a bonus. I can't seem to find the cutters any where locally. But my question is this, I use a drill bit set to wrap my coils so is there any major benefit to using the jigs? I haven't noticed any problems using the drill bits either.

Edited to change to v3 not v2

Last edited:

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's nice for smaller tighter coils in my opinion. Other wise in just using the base for ID size

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something I made this morning and then I tried making it a Naked Corrugated Build @MR.G.

the spacing was perfect until I went and Wrapped the coils and then the edges rubbed and screwed it all up..so I thought going Naked would be cool...too bad I already burned through the colors before I made it naked...

SPECS: 6 x .4R/26KA1/(40N80*) (4 Wraps/3mm ID @ .1 Ohms)

View attachment 52907 View attachment 52910 View attachment 52906 View attachment 52908 View attachment 52909 View attachment 52911 View attachment 52912 View attachment 52913

Even with the minor hiccup it still looks amazing :shades: i wish i could find some build time, i have to make do with perving for now so keep them coming.

On another note raymo i just watched a vid on that coil jig you said you may buy and to me it seems a little flawed cus the part that grasps the wire looks like its a mile away from the part where you are wrapping, still looks good though if you dont mind re-adjusting the first wraps and the splayed leg.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Even with the minor hiccup it still looks amazing :shades: i wish i could find some build time, i have to make do with perving for now so keep them coming.

On another note raymo i just watched a vid on that coil jig you said you may buy and to me it seems a little flawed cus the part that grasps the wire looks like its a mile away from the part where you are wrapping, still looks good though if you dont mind re-adjusting the first wraps and the splayed leg.
Which Jig? I posted 3...The UD? the Cthulhu? or the Ebay Woodblock?
Ill keep them coming for as long as I have wire ;)

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
holy nice groove fused staggerton @raymo2u . do you use anything to help you see when youre doing that? im waiting on one of those headsets with magnifying glasses before i even try another stagger fused build.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
holy nice groove fused staggerton @raymo2u . do you use anything to help you see when youre doing that? im waiting on one of those headsets with magnifying glasses before i even try another stagger fused build.
Nope...thats just my eyes and the drill spinning about 10 inches from where I sit....I really would love to get one of those Magnifying swivels...but they cost too damn much...Im pretty skeptical of those mag glasses since I'd probably have to see much closer for them to be clear when in use

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That is the problem with the mag glasses, focal length is like 2 inches. End up sticking your finger up your nose trying to do anything. Don't think there is a good answer for bad vision, you just end up doing it by feel which makes for a lot of mistakes. I got so pissed at the mag glasses I broke them and threw them in the trash. Now I have; regular glasses, reading glasses over those, and a clip on loupe. Yeah, I look like an idiot, but whatcha gonna do...?

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope...thats just my eyes and the drill spinning about 10 inches from where I sit....I really would love to get one of those Magnifying swivels...but they cost too damn much...Im pretty skeptical of those mag glasses since I'd probably have to see much closer for them to be clear when in use
i ordered one of the headsets with multiple lenses ranging from 10x to 25x. im worried that its a cheap piece of junk though, in most of the pics it looks like the lenses would be aligned with my cheeks and not my eyes. i hope it works lol. i thought about the standing swivel one too, but i imagined having to constantly move it keep it focused on my working area and went with the headset.

@AlbyKortoona damn lol. thats what i was worried about with the glasses. my vision is fine as far as eye tests go, but i found that trying to stagger fuse 36g was just too small in my dimly lit work area. my drill spins for a couple seconds after i let go of the trigger too, so i would see a mistake, stop the drill, wrap like 10 more bad wraps as it slowed to a stop, and then have to fight through re-wrapping the janky unwrapped part again. i lost it and went med/full speed, made a ton of mistakes and vowed to never do that again until i can see it properly :gaah:

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i ordered one of the headsets with multiple lenses ranging from 10x to 25x. im worried that its a cheap piece of junk though, in most of the pics it looks like the lenses would be aligned with my cheeks and not my eyes. i hope it works lol. i thought about the standing swivel one too, but i imagined having to constantly move it keep it focused on my working area and went with the headset.
This is what I was Looking at for building...LINK

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is what I was Looking at for building...LINK
wow thats nice. the one i considered was much smaller, clamps onto desk with a multi directional arm thing similar to those tv/monitor stands. it was small though, and likely had about a 5x5 inch work area in focus under it, so i would have to stop the drill, move the paper clip holding my cores, unclamp the magnifying glass and move it over, focus, grab drill and spool and reset. felt like it should be easier just wearing the headset. this one you linked is huge and you could prolly do most of a stretch of wire without having to move it. also looks like you wouldnt have to have your face pressed up against it to be in focus.

@iSubOhm awesome dude! :cheers:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you. I'm happy with the way it came out. Next time will be much cleaner I'm sure.
I find the easiest way to get everything on the drill/swivel is to set up like a Fused Clapton then have your Ribbon stacked and then secured at both ends and then secure it between the wire....so its floating. Make 2 Sliders and just slide one further down to keep the Ribbon from flapping everywhere and one to inch by inch when your claptoning it. Then clapton it all like a Fused clapton....after you do it a few times they become very easy to do.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I find the easiest way to get everything on the drill/swivel is to set up like a Fused Clapton then have your Ribbon stacked and then secured at both ends and then secure it between the wire....so its floating. Make 2 Sliders and just slide one further down to keep the Ribbon from flapping everywhere and one to inch by inch when your claptoning it. Then clapton it all like a Fused clapton....after you do it a few times they become very easy to do.
What I did was cut 5 long ribbon pieces, stacked and taped in the middle. I then ran this through my swivel, I bent the looped area and taped again. I also also taped the free end then placed in the chuck. I put my frames, secured and did the clapton after securing with another piece of ribbon slider around it all. Might sound confusing and a lot of work, but it worked Lol. I just didn't know how fast I could go on the drill without it twisting hence the gaps. I did a test with a 20ply and was able to go full speed.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What I did was cut 5 long ribbon pieces, stacked and taped in the middle. I then ran this through my swivel, I bent the looped area and taped again. I also also taped the free end then placed in the chuck. I put my frames and secured and went after securing with another piece of ribbon around it all. Might sound confusing and a lot of work, but it worked Lol. I just didn't know how fast I could go on the drill without it twisting hence the gaps. I did a test with a 20ply and was able to go full speed.
Next time just try keeping the ribbon cut about a inch from both ends and just having it taped to the inside of the wire this way it wont ever bunch up from the chuck twisting it or if you dont hook it perfectly at the swivel...it should also cut your time prepping down a bit. If your doing just a normal staple then you dont have the option but for framed staples try it out and see how it goes!

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
holy shit this sucks. i got some ribbon today and was gonna try to do another alien framed staple. for some reason nothing is working. making the base clapton, my core wire broke like three times, my spool tamer kept doubling back on itself, the wrap wire broke, the wraps got tied to the fluffy fabric part of the tamer and broke again. finally finish a stretch of clapton after about ten restarts and i cant slide it off the core. already wrecked my wraps in a couple spots and it likely wont work as alien wrap any more. fuck this. today is not the day :grumpy: grrrrrrrrrr half an hour to waste a bunch of 36 and possibly leave myself without enough to do this again once i calm down, and nothing to show for myself but a mess of tools and wire bits to clean up.:headbang: aside from my very first try at framed staples, this is the only time i have ever completely failed to do a build. usually it goes rough, but i get coils at the end. i wonder wtf is wrong with me today.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
holy shit this sucks. i got some ribbon today and was gonna try to do another alien framed staple. for some reason nothing is working. making the base clapton, my core wire broke like three times, my spool tamer kept doubling back on itself, the wrap wire broke, the wraps got tied to the fluffy fabric part of the tamer and broke again. finally finish a stretch of clapton after about ten restarts and i cant slide it off the core. already wrecked my wraps in a couple spots and it likely wont work as alien wrap any more. fuck this. today is not the day :grumpy: grrrrrrrrrr half an hour to waste a bunch of 36 and possibly leave myself without enough to do this again once i calm down, and nothing to show for myself but a mess of tools and wire bits to clean up.:headbang: aside from my very first try at framed staples, this is the only time i have ever completely failed to do a build. usually it goes rough, but i get coils at the end. i wonder wtf is wrong with me today.
If you ever run into this issue again take a walk and cool off before getting into it again. Make sure its not too tight or too loose on the spool and it turned so the wire is coming out like a arch and not coming out and having to bend around the feeder mouth. Glue your frayed fibers and then try again....If its not working still make sure your spool isnt spooled like shit, sometimes the wire is trapped under a different spool wrap and thats what causes it to break or snag.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you ever run into this issue again take a walk and cool off before getting into it again. Make sure its not too tight or too loose on the spool and it turned so the wire is coming out like a arch and not coming out and having to bend around the feeder mouth. Glue your frayed fibers and then try again....If its not working still make sure your spool isnt spooled like shit, sometimes the wire is trapped under a different spool wrap and thats what causes it to break or snag.
yeah im gonna have a snack and go sit on the porch for a bit, take a couple deep breaths lol. frustrating as hell not even being able to perform the basic functions required lol. i have only used the spool tamer about five times now, but its been perfect every single time. the first time it took a couple starts to get tension right and since then its just worked perfectly. thanks for the moral support/advice :cheers:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
yeah im gonna have a snack and go sit on the porch for a bit, take a couple deep breaths lol. frustrating as hell not even being able to perform the basic functions required lol. i have only used the spool tamer about five times now, but its been perfect every single time. the first time it took a couple starts to get tension right and since then its just worked perfectly. thanks for the moral support/advice :cheers:
Ive had days that had the same issues...I usually switch it to doing it by hand but then everything I make that day always looks poorly constructed and usually its a big loss of wire when I toss it...those days use for cleaning your mods or rewicking or wrapping batteries instead....

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So my boreas turned into a juice waterfall juicing it up for the first time.... But i got that fixed and have the alien staples i made installed. Dont have coil pics cause my phone died but heres a build pic
17a6c96cd7f7bf54811a3b10ede40989.jpg
8 x .3k ribbon 36n80 alien 6 wrap dual coil w/3mm id came out to .21Ω

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So my boreas turned into a juice waterfall juicing it up for the first time.... But i got that fixed and have the alien staples i made installed. Dont have coil pics cause my phone died but heres a build pic

Tips for filling the Boreas..
Flip it for a second or 2
Close the AFC/JC
Open and fill it
Open to the AFC you want and immediately take a draw.

This solves the fill flood issue and it wont happen anymore.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tips for filling the Boreas..
Flip it for a second or 2
Close the AFC/JC
Open and fill it
Open to the AFC you want and immediately take a draw.

This solves the fill flood issue and it wont happen anymore.
I was gonna ask because i remember you saying something on that note but i got impatient...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was gonna ask because i remember you saying something on that note but i got impatient...

Just make sure to fluff your wicking to cover the entire deck base and you'll be good...that method for filling removes all the juice under the deck and puts it in the tank...alleviating the pressure that grows when filling and when you open the AFC/JC and then you just are just burning off the juice left on the cotton as the juice runs to the cotton

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

what did you do your initial clapton on to make the alien wrap on 8x.3mm ribbon properly?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
what did you do your initial clapton on to make the alien wrap on 8x.3mm ribbon properly?
28g, You always want to line up 3 cores and compare it to what your using the Alien one....If you using ribbon only then match it up to 3 cores of 26g or 28g and if it matches either of them then Clapton the wire it matches up with.

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok thats what i figured. it doesnt have to be exact though i guess? i looked at wire wizard and it says 3x 28g should be about .96mm, and 3x 26 should be 1.2mm wide, and 8 ribbon is .8mm wide, so there is no perfect match, but .16mm isnt enough to screw it up i guess.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
28g, You always want to line up 3 cores and compare it to what your using the Alien one....If you using ribbon only then match it up to 3 cores of 26g or 28g and if it matches either of them then Clapton the wire it matches up with.
Ha! I see what you did... 28 is closest in width to .3 ribbon @ .32mm so i went with that but i almost went with 30 thinking it may wrap tighter but the 28 worked perfectly

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ha! I see what you did... 28 is closest in width to .3 ribbon @ .32mm so i went with that but i almost went with 30 thinking it may wrap tighter but the 28 worked perfectly

The key to aliens is (with a traditional 3 core) you want the initial clapton the same diameter as your cores so the wraps lock around the cores tightly but the more you stretch the decored clapton the smaller the diameter of the coils get so if you do a wide build (i.e. framed staple and varients) you eventually want to step up the initial core gauge to account for shrinkage. Its hard to gauge what would be appropriate for a staple as the sides are flat so the wraps dont lock around the edges but i would assume sticking with diameter=width for initial core to size of ribbon would be an acceptable rule of thumb

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Cthulhu
Looks to be about a Half inch and you pull its straight down and start wrapping the coil...perfect length for a lead....there's 2 choices of mounting the wire, one is 90 degrees from the rod...which is the one I would use myself.

VU Sponsors