Become a Patron!

ORCHID MODIFICATION THREAD

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it's the insulator, is it possible that the threads are to big. I have been running the orchid/colonial with no problem. I take off the tank and now it won't go back on. It was my favorite mod too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you are describing as a problem but the 510 connecting post will not grow and get bigger.

If your orchid threaded on before but doesn't now maybe the threads got damaged.

Did you inspect the threads of the orchid that no longer fits on your mod? Also the threads in the top cap of your mod. Other atomizers thread into your mod still?

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah everything is the same, I'm sorry if I made this thread about me. I just needed some help...

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People in this thread don't mind helping at all, but we need to understand what the issue is to help ;)

Everything's the same, but it's not because your orchid won't thread in any longer. So are the threads on the orchid messed up? Other atomizers thread into your mod ok?

Maybe it threads in part of the way, not all the way? Doesn't thread in at all?

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Problem solved, I think it's just the threads are messed up. Thanks for the help.

Cifitzu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have made a ody/penny style orchid out of the super long chimney and a drip tip with regular or aftermarket cap. just make sure your chimney top and bottom are extremely tight. The hardest part was finding a drip tip that went over the long top chimney and made a seal for the tank. I think I used a few O-rings too. What all tanks are compatible with kayfun/ orchid threads. So far I have found of course all kayfun, orchid, parts but I also found that most of my 22mm addys had the same theads such as the aqua v2 tank/clear tank. Also the chimney section that acts as the juice control for the aqua v1 will fit the orchid base. I am attempting to make a 22mm orchid hybrid (with juice control out of parts that I have acquired over the years. I prefer singe coil but since the aqua v1 chimney fits so well and takes driptips its going to be hard to get away from. I like a more airy draw like the orchid but hate making duel coils. Reason being they suck power and they just take more time to create and maintain. My goal in all of my work is to make a addy that is the shortest length possible that has the juice control ability. For me its a must for pocket security. Yes I have a rose v2 clone and stumpy kit, aqua v2 clone and others but something missing form each and plus I just am having fun legoing parts together. One other tank section that I have noticed that as the same threads is the rose v2 at the base and cap. the clear widow connection is different threading.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have made a ody/penny style orchid out of the super long chimney and a drip tip with regular or aftermarket cap. just make sure your chimney top and bottom are extremely tight. The hardest part was finding a drip tip that went over the long top chimney and made a seal for the tank. I think I used a few O-rings too. What all tanks are compatible with kayfun/ orchid threads. So far I have found of course all kayfun, orchid, parts but I also found that most of my 22mm addys had the same theads such as the aqua v2 tank/clear tank. Also the chimney section that acts as the juice control for the aqua v1 will fit the orchid base. I am attempting to make a 22mm orchid hybrid (with juice control out of parts that I have acquired over the years. I prefer singe coil but since the aqua v1 chimney fits so well and takes driptips its going to be hard to get away from. I like a more airy draw like the orchid but hate making duel coils. Reason being they suck power and they just take more time to create and maintain. My goal in all of my work is to make a addy that is the shortest length possible that has the juice control ability. For me its a must for pocket security. Yes I have a rose v2 clone and stumpy kit, aqua v2 clone and others but something missing form each and plus I just am having fun legoing parts together. One other tank section that I have noticed that as the same threads is the rose v2 at the base and cap. the clear widow connection is different threading.

Welcome to the thread, @Cifitzu. Pictures please. :) I'm not following all of this.

Cifitzu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I get home I will. Does anyone have any experience with running a single coil in the orchid? Do you just block one air hole or something different?

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I may have found the sweet spot for the juice channels on the JFC. I now get the flavor saturation I want without having to open it very far. I'm using this at the moment with JFC opened about 1.5mm and the vapor is consistently very moist and dense, even when chain vaping.

The channels were ground with a 30 degree conical diamond bit on a Dremel, with some help from two small cylindrical and spherical bits. This time went faster and easier than the first. I opened the bottom of the channels a little to about 1.5mm deep. At the top they are 2.5mm deep and 4mm wide.

Still yet to have a single gurgle.

P2190011 edit.jpg P2190012 edit.jpgP2190015 edit.jpg P2190023 edit.jpg
P2190027 edit.jpg P2092217_picmonkeyed.jpg
imag0257-edit-jpg.14063

Here are the links to the other two posts on the wide chimney with JFC modification:

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/page-22#post-309387
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/page-22#post-312309

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I get home I will. Does anyone have any experience with running a single coil in the orchid? Do you just block one air hole or something different?

I have not but a few have by splitting the wicks, both plugging the other air hole and leaving it open. I'm sure somebody with more experience will weigh in on your question.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think I may have found the sweet spot for the juice channels on the JFC. I now get the flavor saturation I want without having to open it very far. I'm using this at the moment with JFC opened about 1.5mm and the vapor is consistently very moist and dense, even when chain vaping.

The channels were ground with a 30 degree conical diamond bit on a Dremel, with some help from two small cylindrical and spherical bits. This time went faster and easier than the first. I opened the bottom of the channels a little to about 1.5mm deep. At the top they are 2.5mm deep and just under 4mm wide.

Still yet to have a single gurgle.

View attachment 14903
View attachment 14904
View attachment 14905
View attachment 14906
View attachment 14907
View attachment 14908

Here are the links to the other two posts on wide chimney with JFC modification:

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/page-22#post-309387
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/page-22#post-312309

That's awesome!

By conical bit, what sort do you mean? I have diamond ones and the usual pinkish ones too for the rotory tool.
I also have a titanium nitride coated step/speed bit set for the big drill, maybe that would be useful?

Cifitzu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you have the funds check out the silver play base. Its much better at wicking. What top cap do you have on that beast westpole?

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you have the funds check out the silver play base. Its much better at wicking. What top cap do you have on that beast westpole?

I have checked it out. I don't need AFC because I prefer a full-time wide open draw. Besides that I give nothing up to Silverplay, though as I posted here before I think it is a significant improvement on the Orchid concept and current stock Orchids. Billow and Goblin have their advantages too. However, this modification has an 8mm ID chimney and JFC, which I would be harder to add to the others than to Orchid. Tank and top cap are from Taifun GT. Check the links at the bottom of my post above for the specs. and stages of the modification.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Every orchid I have had has one of the outside air flow holes threaded so you can run a grub screw into it blocking off air to one side.
You would build the single coil on the side that's not blocked off.

For the juice channels, i guess you could pack them with some wick but the vacuum should seal it up and keep it from leaking.

Last edited:

Cifitzu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry didnt mean to high jack your thread and am a big fan. I will be trying your method maybe this weekend.
I did get home and got to play with a few parts of different rba parts before my wife got home and well... Had to put the gear down. I discovered that if you take the aqua v2 tank and chimney and screw it down on a v3 orchid base (one without tank threads. It not only fits but makes a pretty stout little addy. When I get time later tonight I will put pics of it up as well.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No such thing as hijacking an orchid thread with an orchid question ;)

Taifun gt (& nano) tanks also work on the threaded orchid bases too so you can add that to your list as well.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The V2 finally showed up, really like the big bore chimney direction orchids are going. Didn't lose any flavor but picked up some cloudage. Used the drilled out base that I've been using for a while now so it is a good comparison. Didn't touch the build just swapped the new chimney and top cap out, filled and vaped.
Juice channels were already opened up a bit but I may just go chuck norris on that bitch like TheWestPole did and get even more juice flowing.

The included DT that came with it is a little more open than most of them and I dont know if it's the finned top cap or more air cooling things down but the DT doesn't even get warm so it being so close to the top cap is not a bad thing and actually works well.

2015-02-22 11.37.56.jpg

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The V2 finally showed up, really like the big bore chimney direction orchids are going. Didn't lose any flavor but picked up some cloudage. Used the drilled out base that I've been using for a while now so it is a good comparison. Didn't touch the build just swapped the new chimney and top cap out, filled and vaped.
Juice channels were already opened up a bit but I may just go chuck norris on that bitch like TheWestPole did and get even more juice flowing.

The included DT that came with it is a little more open than most of them and I dont know if it's the finned top cap or more air cooling things down but the DT doesn't even get warm so it being so close to the top cap is not a bad thing and actually works well.

View attachment 15162

Nice. How do you like the Smok M50?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's been good. Slight pain to remove battery, but it's not terrible... one minute... I can deal.
Buttons are good. Power is good. Would like it to step power down (not many chips do though), that's what will be in my next VW... getting the sx mini 350j when it comes out.
I could do without the fraction of a second delay to fire but my fingers memory now has itself firing when it's on it's way to my mouth so I don't really notice it.
Finish is sturdy, has held up to my tungsten ring without 1 single scratch.

Most of my toppers run ~0.4ohms (25g) and around 30w. My cloud chaser CLT2 runs at 45w so I really have no need for more than the 50w that it has.

For the price I have no complaints about the M50.

Last edited:

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On my next build, I'm thinking about twisting some 26 guage kanthal and putting it in my orchid. My current build is 1 strand for each coil, wrapped 8 times. It gives me optimal flavor, nearly perfect. Anyone have a recommendation on how many times I should go about wrapping a twisted coil for better taste without going to far under .5 ohms?

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It maybe a bit hard to keep 26 awg twisted over .5. You may want to try 28 awg or even 30 awg twisted. Also you can use steam-engine calculator to predict around what it'll be. I'd link it for you but I'm at work right now, but if you Google it, it'll pop up @MirkoGradski

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It maybe a bit hard to keep 26 awg twisted over .5. You may want to try 28 awg or even 30 awg twisted. Also you can use steam-engine calculator to predict around what it'll be. I'd link it for you but I'm at work right now, but if you Google it, it'll pop up @MirkoGradski

Ok cool ill check it out

Update: I ended up just doing a dual coil build again, this time wrapping around a needle, 9 times.

The twisted 26 awg that I was going to use was very springy. It was a little fiddly and I gave up. I think I need to invest in a torch.

Getting the cotton through those micro coils was kind of a pain.

Last edited:
T

Taver13

hey guys, i know i havent been in here in a while, reason being, i have been trying to expand my tank horizons. been trying a bunch of em, foggers roses lemos, which i had a while ago and traded and got another one in a trade, subtanks...and today, i recieved my goblin. looks like im going to be putting my orchid projects on the backburner, and sell or trade my other tanks. this goblin, to me is fantastic. its everything i want my superorchid to be with no work, well, besides trying to build on the damn thing, took me a good two hours to decipher it. wicked it right on the first time thoug. wasnt expecting that. this is going to be my daily driver for sure. honestly though, my orchids are going to be the only tanks i keep besides the goblin. now onto the silverplay and billow. just gotta find someone to trade with!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey guys, i know i havent been in here in a while, reason being, i have been trying to expand my tank horizons. been trying a bunch of em, foggers roses lemos, which i had a while ago and traded and got another one in a trade, subtanks...and today, i recieved my goblin. looks like im going to be putting my orchid projects on the backburner, and sell or trade my other tanks. this goblin, to me is fantastic. its everything i want my superorchid to be with no work, well, besides trying to build on the damn thing, took me a good two hours to decipher it. wicked it right on the first time thoug. wasnt expecting that. this is going to be my daily driver for sure. honestly though, my orchids are going to be the only tanks i keep besides the goblin. now onto the silverplay and billow. just gotta find someone to trade with!

Which Foggers did you get?

T

Taver13

here is a pic of my new daily driver. custom tank and driptip by spectrum tanks. also have a matching extended tank as well. love me some borrosillicate glass
2015-02-23 22.34.06.jpg

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Pm me what you've got. I've got a goblin now that I'm on the fence about.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
<SOLD> For sale, new. Just received one of these Minis but won't be using it because of the wide chimneys I already made. $14 shipped first class. PM me if you are interested.

Screenshot 2015-02-24 at 12.09.36 PM.png

Last edited:
T

Taver13

it does, but im getting tired of spending money on things i have to screw with sometimes. it should be good out of the box. especially with how far things have come now

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The air holes are standard V3/4 size. Sorry, the one I posted got snatched up already.
no worries im making a fast tech order tonight or tomorrow so thats what i meant.

i only ask about airflow size because ive seen a lot of different sizes coming from clones. mine are about 2.3mm, ive seen some at 2.5mm and 2mm. these look like 2mm

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no worries im making a fast tech order tonight or tomorrow so thats what i meant.

i only ask about airflow size because ive seen a lot of different sizes coming from clones. mine are about 2.3mm, ive seen some at 2.5mm and 2mm. these look like 2mm

I hear ya on that, but I never even unwrapped it to check. :rolleyes:

Cifitzu

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Okay today I was tinking around and after being inspired by westpole, I created the Aquaplaychid or aquachid. Its a aqua v2 tank, aqua v1 chimney, carto silicone sleeve cut to fit around chimney where tank meets stem and a black band I found (band not really necessary). This mod gives me full juice control without really modifying anything, just using different pieces of addys to make a juice/ air control tank in a relatively small and yet still holding just over 3.4mls of juice ruffly. IMO juice control is everything in a tank. Its what keeps it from leaking in a pocket and also lets you hit those high watts if its a performance addy. It also lets the user have a overall better control over the complete device. blah blah blah here it is guys my Aquaplaychid....names just wrong lolIMG_1979.JPG

Niji

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i have a 4.4

Ugh, I have a 4.4 too (authentic). Seriously, seriously regret my purchase. I am still trying to drill out the channels and it is not going well. You have to drill the air holes too. For the amount of money it cost, it is a major pain in the.... and a LOT of work. It is not going well and it probably doesn't help that I got the rainbow version. I think neochrome is a form of titanium plating? An o-ring under the chimney helps with the leaking problem. But my chimney seems to have WELDED itself together, making that tiny thing even harder to wick. WTF is this thing made of?! My diamond-coated grinder is spinning and I'm using drill lubricant on it and I'm barely scratching the darn thing! Using a brand new diamond bit too...

I was looking for a tank to match my rainbow hammer and the rainbow Sat22 didn't exist yet. I wish I had known how horrid this thing is. Completely unusable out of the box, dry hits or leaking and always 1/2 mm away from the coil shorting out on the chimney.To think I paid over $30 for this thing to do so much machining on it. Serves me right for buying authentic, right? But there was no rainbow clone that I could find. Based on the (obviously paid for) reviews, I thought the fogger 4.4 was better than the kayfun/taifun which were the only other rainbow tanks I could find at the time. If I hadn't paid so much for it, I would have taken the copper screw out and thrown the rest in the garbage can where it belongs! The screw is worth more than the entire rest of this POS!

T

Taver13

Ugh, I have a 4.4 too (authentic). Seriously, seriously regret my purchase. I am still trying to drill out the channels and it is not going well. You have to drill the air holes too. For the amount of money it cost, it is a major pain in the.... and a LOT of work. It is not going well and it probably doesn't help that I got the rainbow version. I think neochrome is a form of titanium plating? An o-ring under the chimney helps with the leaking problem. But my chimney seems to have WELDED itself together, making that tiny thing even harder to wick. WTF is this thing made of?! My diamond-coated grinder is spinning and I'm using drill lubricant on it and I'm barely scratching the darn thing! Using a brand new diamond bit too...

I was looking for a tank to match my rainbow hammer and the rainbow Sat22 didn't exist yet. I wish I had known how horrid this thing is. Completely unusable out of the box, dry hits or leaking and always 1/2 mm away from the coil shorting out on the chimney.To think I paid over $30 for this thing to do so much machining on it. Serves me right for buying authentic, right? But there was no rainbow clone that I could find. Based on the (obviously paid for) reviews, I thought the fogger 4.4 was better than the kayfun/taifun which were the only other rainbow tanks I could find at the time. If I hadn't paid so much for it, I would have taken the copper screw out and thrown the rest in the garbage can where it belongs! The screw is worth more than the entire rest of this POS!
yeah im sure the coating is titanium. ony reason you would be trashing diamond bits. and probobly the only part of it that would justify the cost. some of the reason i go for clones is they usually are better due to fixed issues. unfortunatly mine is an authentic as well. only got it because i use cinnamon red hot flavoring in my ADV and i need a glass tank. my orchid with the kayfun rings and glass just didnt have enough juice flow past the chimnet because of high vg. so i figured id give the goblin a try, and all i can say is wow. i love my lemo drop too, but its really single coil. duals are doable if you set it up like a rose v2, but i would have to use 28 or 30 gauge and i like using 26 24 or 22 in my tanks. i only use 28 and 30 for my single coil rdas

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay today I was tinking around and after being inspired by westpole, I created the Aquaplaychid or aquachid. Its a aqua v2 tank, aqua v1 chimney, carto silicone sleeve cut to fit around chimney where tank meets stem and a black band I found (band not really necessary). This mod gives me full juice control without really modifying anything, just using different pieces of addys to make a juice/ air control tank in a relatively small and yet still holding just over 3.4mls of juice ruffly. IMO juice control is everything in a tank. Its what keeps it from leaking in a pocket and also lets you hit those high watts if its a performance addy. It also lets the user have a overall better control over the complete device. blah blah blah here it is guys my Aquaplaychid....names just wrong lolView attachment 15394

You sir have absolutely no respect! :D Very creative. I love it. :)

I agree about JFC, particularly if you like to keep the draw wide open full time.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Wow, that is quite an indictment of that Fogger. And quite a nightmare for you. Don't really know what to say except that sometimes you just have to cut your losses. It's a shame. :(

55747015.jpg

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been spending all my "forum time" reading this thread for a few days now. Wait, it must have been a week or so, since I got my Tobeco V4 in the mail yesterday and I ordered it when I was reading page 4 or 5ish. Anyway, this is my favorite thread. Ever.

@TheWestPole , if I were to run into you in public... I would buy you drinks and give you bottles of juice. After lots of that I'd drive your drunk nicotined-out ass to my house to crash (assuming, of course, you found yourself randomly in my city with no place to stay). Then I'd cook you breakfast the next morning. Serious.
Fair warning, there'd be no spooning or cuddling but there would however be LOTS of questions about Orchid mods. :cool:

Now that I've got my vape-crush on TheWestPole out of the way... here's my short Orchid story thus far. For reference I've been a RDA-only guy for about 5 months now save a few days with an Atlantis.
Got the V4 clone on Monday. Drilled it out to 7/64" before I even rinsed it. I have been using MutationX RDA's pretty exclusively for months now so I knew I'd want the extra airflow. Built it w 2mm 26ga duals, 10 wraps at 0.52ish ohms. Wicked it with Shiseido JC. Tight cotton with the tails ever so slightly in the channels. Mixed some 70VG juice up. Vaped it. Holy crap, this is good. Got some dry hits every 4 or 6 draws, especially after chain vaping on a fresh battery in a mech mod. Remembered the KF trick of cracking open the top to get more juice into the wicks and that was a decent workaround for the time being.

Got up Tuesday morning to go to work and I see that this thing really does drink juice! Even when I'm not vaping it! It's not leaking out the airholes, it's not flooded, WTF? Then I take it off the mod and realize I never bothered to check the fill hole screw because I top-filled the first tank-full. :( Tightened the fill screw and went to work. On my lunch break I realize it's still leaking out the fill hole. Whatever, I feel like I read here that a second o-ring is a good thing. Did that tonight. Fill hole seems to have stopped leaking. Yay.

Couldn't refill the stock SS/PC/SS tank assembly very well and couldn't see what was going on. Had this POS KF3.1 sitting around collecting dust and grabbed the full PC tank out of it. Emptied the tank tonight, rewicked with less tails in the channels, more or less sitting on top of the channels now. Also used less cotton through the coils. Filling the full PC tank was easier with the extra clearance but I'm still getting some dry hits. I now realize that I should have probably left the chimney loose by a few threads. Or made a long wide bore chimney/drip tip/JFC. Cause that would be the F'ing best.

Thanks so much to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I'll be using a portion of my tax return to build a decent little FT order consisting of all orchid parts. :) In the meantime I'll work toward getting my modest setup to wick 80VG juice as fast as I can vape it. Cheers!

@TheWestPole , I really want one of those wide bore chimney/drip tip/JFC setups. Like, really want. The only question left is... do you wanna be the big spoon, or the little spoon? :eek:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hehehehe. :D Welcome @KeyserSoze. Thanks for your props to everyone who has contributed to the thread. Flattery will get you... somewhere.

Seems like you're pretty much on top of your Orchid issues. You were smart to read first and are well ahead of where I started. If you're satisfied with the drilled-out airflow and have settled on 80% VG, yes, opening the juice channels is next. You've probably already seen a lot of examples of bigger ones, including Silverplay, Goblin, etc.

If you want to experiment with JFC without making a custom chimney, there are possibilities. The main thing is to get around disassembling every time you want to change the chimney setting. I haven't done this, but you could rig up a little tool that allows you to adjust the stock chimney from the outside with the atty assembled. An expandable plastic wall anchor/screw might just do the trick. Anyway that's the idea. Pop off the drip tip, insert the anchor and tighten the screw, then turn the anchor to screw or unscrew the chimney.

I might play with this idea myself, that is, making a proper tool that does it fast and easy. I'm really into my big chimneys and I generally like SS drip tips so it's no sacrifice. But sometimes it's nice to change to whatever standard DT you may want, in which case a stock setup with an adjustment tool would do nicely.

021199wd088-01_xlg.jpg

BTW, I never use o-rings on the fill screw. Only had one that leaked, just a little, and that was fixable by cleaning out a rough edge in the counter bore.

Cheers!

Last edited:

DoctorIdiot

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been spending all my "forum time" reading this thread for a few days now. Wait, it must have been a week or so, since I got my Tobeco V4 in the mail yesterday and I ordered it when I was reading page 4 or 5ish. Anyway, this is my favorite thread. Ever.

@TheWestPole , if I were to run into you in public... I would buy you drinks and give you bottles of juice. After lots of that I'd drive your drunk nicotined-out ass to my house to crash (assuming, of course, you found yourself randomly in my city with no place to stay). Then I'd cook you breakfast the next morning. Serious.
Fair warning, there'd be no spooning or cuddling but there would however be LOTS of questions about Orchid mods. :cool:

Now that I've got my vape-crush on TheWestPole out of the way... here's my short Orchid story thus far. For reference I've been a RDA-only guy for about 5 months now save a few days with an Atlantis.
Got the V4 clone on Monday. Drilled it out to 7/64" before I even rinsed it. I have been using MutationX RDA's pretty exclusively for months now so I knew I'd want the extra airflow. Built it w 2mm 26ga duals, 10 wraps at 0.52ish ohms. Wicked it with Shiseido JC. Tight cotton with the tails ever so slightly in the channels. Mixed some 70VG juice up. Vaped it. Holy crap, this is good. Got some dry hits every 4 or 6 draws, especially after chain vaping on a fresh battery in a mech mod. Remembered the KF trick of cracking open the top to get more juice into the wicks and that was a decent workaround for the time being.

Got up Tuesday morning to go to work and I see that this thing really does drink juice! Even when I'm not vaping it! It's not leaking out the airholes, it's not flooded, WTF? Then I take it off the mod and realize I never bothered to check the fill hole screw because I top-filled the first tank-full. :( Tightened the fill screw and went to work. On my lunch break I realize it's still leaking out the fill hole. Whatever, I feel like I read here that a second o-ring is a good thing. Did that tonight. Fill hole seems to have stopped leaking. Yay.

Couldn't refill the stock SS/PC/SS tank assembly very well and couldn't see what was going on. Had this POS KF3.1 sitting around collecting dust and grabbed the full PC tank out of it. Emptied the tank tonight, rewicked with less tails in the channels, more or less sitting on top of the channels now. Also used less cotton through the coils. Filling the full PC tank was easier with the extra clearance but I'm still getting some dry hits. I now realize that I should have probably left the chimney loose by a few threads. Or made a long wide bore chimney/drip tip/JFC. Cause that would be the F'ing best.

Thanks so much to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I'll be using a portion of my tax return to build a decent little FT order consisting of all orchid parts. :) In the meantime I'll work toward getting my modest setup to wick 80VG juice as fast as I can vape it. Cheers!

@TheWestPole , I really want one of those wide bore chimney/drip tip/JFC setups. Like, really want. The only question left is... do you wanna be the big spoon, or the little spoon? :eek:
I sorta went quiet here as most of my forum and DIY time has been spent mixing new juices. But also because I pretty much found my Orchid Nirvana a couple months ago when I switched all of my orchids (mostly v4s) to that full PC Kayfun tank.

Everything fills flawlessly now, no gaps, no backwash, nothing. I realized that after I got to the point that I was able to just pop out a screw, jet in a new tankful, and get back to Vaping, I'm basically done. The airflow is perfect for me, the juice flow is well tuned for my juices, and I got wicking down many many pages ago, so all I've really got left to tinker with is the juice. Well, and the coils I guess, but twisted 28 and 30 builds always seem to do the trick for me.

But I hear ya on this thread. If it weren't for this minicommunity, I'm sure I'd STILL be searching for that device sweet spot, and wouldn't have nearly as much juice-cookin time. I mean, I'd be happy either way I'm sure, as tinkering is itself tremendous fun. But I wouldn't be Vaping.... (checks bottles) cheesecake custard waffles, blueberry walnut pralines and milk, or pistachio/almond caramel eggnog. So, you know, there's that.

But hey, I wanna throw in my thanks as well. I've done what I can to help out, but I've taken out far more than I've given, I've no doubt. Thanks Westy, and all the resty :)

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I sorta went quiet here as most of my forum and DIY time has been spent mixing new juices. But also because I pretty much found my Orchid Nirvana a couple months ago when I switched all of my orchids (mostly v4s) to that full PC Kayfun tank.

Everything fills flawlessly now, no gaps, no backwash, nothing. I realized that after I got to the point that I was able to just pop out a screw, jet in a new tankful, and get back to Vaping, I'm basically done. The airflow is perfect for me, the juice flow is well tuned for my juices, and I got wicking down many many pages ago, so all I've really got left to tinker with is the juice. Well, and the coils I guess, but twisted 28 and 30 builds always seem to do the trick for me.

But I hear ya on this thread. If it weren't for this minicommunity, I'm sure I'd STILL be searching for that device sweet spot, and wouldn't have nearly as much juice-cookin time. I mean, I'd be happy either way I'm sure, as tinkering is itself tremendous fun. But I wouldn't be Vaping.... (checks bottles) cheesecake custard waffles, blueberry walnut pralines and milk, or pistachio/almond caramel eggnog. So, you know, there's that.

But hey, I wanna throw in my thanks as well. I've done what I can to help out, but I've taken out far more than I've given, I've no doubt. Thanks Westy, and all the resty :)
I'm in the same spot you are. My tank/build is perfect for what I want. Although that JFC has got me very intrigued, its kinda on the waiting list lol

VU Sponsors