Become a Patron!

ORCHID MODIFICATION THREAD

I love my Orchid V2 when it works right, but I keep getting a nasty burnt taste! It drives me crazy. I've tried with multiple builds at multiple resistances , ranging from 0.3 to 1.2, all do the same thing for me , taste burnt. I have tried wicking with a little bit down the juice channels, and I've tried without running any wick down the channels, either way , constant burnt taste. Using Japanese organic cotton. Also have tried with the chimney screwed all the way down and various levels of it unscrewed to allow for better juice flow. Still getting burnt taste. Makes me sad. Please help! Thanks all.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my Orchid V2 when it works right, but I keep getting a nasty burnt taste! It drives me crazy. I've tried with multiple builds at multiple resistances , ranging from 0.3 to 1.2, all do the same thing for me , taste burnt. I have tried wicking with a little bit down the juice channels, and I've tried without running any wick down the channels, either way , constant burnt taste. Using Japanese organic cotton. Also have tried with the chimney screwed all the way down and various levels of it unscrewed to allow for better juice flow. Still getting burnt taste. Makes me sad. Please help! Thanks all.

Welcome to the thread. I assume you are not wicking too tight through the coils because you sound experienced. If you get burnt hits with wick ends sitting on top of the channels and an easy fit through the coils, you may have juice channels that are not to spec. I've seen a couple. They should be 2mm wide and at least 1mm deep.

Could you take few pics of your build exactly as it looks when you remove the chimney?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

An issue I have had a couple of times is the coils being to close to the chimney. Everything checked out fine on a meter but when fire it had a really harsh almost chemical taste to it.

MirkoGradski

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Rip has yet another new technique out for wicking. I think it will work well in an orchid.

Currently in the process of putting a new build in. I think I'm gonna try it out. Will post pics.

DoctorIdiot

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Rip has yet another new technique out for wicking. I think it will work well in an orchid.

Currently in the process of putting a new build in. I think I'm gonna try it out. Will post pics.

that looks awful similar to the "trevor" wick for the goblin.

I do wonder how well it would work in an orchid though, at least one without the little airhole risers. Don't you think the juice might wick up onto the deck and thence down through the airholes? I recognize that there is supposed to be a decent vacuum within the chamber preventing that outcome, but since I think most of us have experienced at least SOME juice leaking from the airholes, that's a decent indication that the vacuum is generally imperfect to some extent.

Anyway, it certainly seems like it would be an interesting experiment in the orchid. Let us know how it wicks, and also if you notice any leaking.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

that looks awful similar to the "trevor" wick for the goblin.

I do wonder how well it would work in an orchid though, at least one without the little airhole risers. Don't you think the juice might wick up onto the deck and thence down through the airholes? I recognize that there is supposed to be a decent vacuum within the chamber preventing that outcome, but since I think most of us have experienced at least SOME juice leaking from the airholes, that's a decent indication that the vacuum is generally imperfect to some extent.

Anyway, it certainly seems like it would be an interesting experiment in the orchid. Let us know how it wicks, and also if you notice any leaking.

I agree with @DoctorIdiot here. The fluffy wick method (Trevor) works very well on Orchid if you're doing a big coil big wick build for hit capacity. It holds a lot of juice. Rip's pancake wick is about creating a big juice well in a Kayfun type atty, which doesn't really apply to Orchid because the air holes are on the same plane as the juice channels.

Here's the Trevor Jones link. Wicking begins around 30 minutes in. Thanks for the reference, Doc.

Last edited:

DoctorIdiot

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with @DoctorIdiot here. The fluffy wick method (Trevor) works very well on Orchid if you're doing a big coil big wick build for hit capacity. It holds a lot of juice. Rip's pancake wick is about creating a big juice well in a Kayfun type atty, which doesn't really apply to Orchid because the air holes are on the same plane as the juice channels.

Here's the Trevor Jones link. Wicking begins around 30 minutes in. Thanks for the reference, Doc.

Hey thanks for the link, westy. I was at the office and couldn't grab it myself.

I wonder if the "pancake" wick would even work with the slightly-raised-airhole version of the Orchid deck. I never actually got one of those, otherwise I'd at least try it. But for my normal orchids, I think I shan't bother. My standard wicks work great for my Vaping style, and I build the occasional "fat coil fat wick" or "fluffy" or "trevor" or whatever when I want to try vaping an entire tank in one pull

That being said, I DO have a goblin v1.2 coming in tomorrow (shut up, I had to give the competition a fair shake, and I got a good price in a group buy) and I'll probably start in with a fluffy straight away. My new smoktech m80 just got here today so I'm doing some 80 Watt tests on my orchids to set myself up mentally to do some side by sides this weekend. So far so good, even with my normal wicks that I'm usually vaping at around 40 watts. This one's about 50/50 pg though, I haven't tried one of my max VGs yet.

I love new toys.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I think the added air flow allows you to run a little more power and that sucks more juice than an orchid with a standard chimney.

I got dryish hits after a few pulls so I dremeld out the juice channels... a lot. Looks about as deep as west pole's a page or two back. I think it was the 997 bit.

That did it. The wick can keep up with the added wattage. I used to run ~0.4 ohms (25g, 2.5mm coil) 29w to 31w and with the v2 big bore chimney I am running 33w to 35w. That will run through juice faster so imo the juice channels need to be opened up more than stock.

Last edited:

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think I experience the same thing on mine. Unscrewing the chimney a couple turns helped but it tastes burnt if I draw for too long or chain vape. I was assuming it was the beginning of a dry hit. Planning to deepen the juice channels next to see if that cures it.

My interim solution is to give it a small break in between hits. Never more than 3 back to back.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey thanks for the link, westy. I was at the office and couldn't grab it myself.

I wonder if the "pancake" wick would even work with the slightly-raised-airhole version of the Orchid deck. I never actually got one of those, otherwise I'd at least try it. But for my normal orchids, I think I shan't bother. My standard wicks work great for my Vaping style, and I build the occasional "fat coil fat wick" or "fluffy" or "trevor" or whatever when I want to try vaping an entire tank in one pull

That being said, I DO have a goblin v1.2 coming in tomorrow (shut up, I had to give the competition a fair shake, and I got a good price in a group buy) and I'll probably start in with a fluffy straight away. My new smoktech m80 just got here today so I'm doing some 80 Watt tests on my orchids to set myself up mentally to do some side by sides this weekend. So far so good, even with my normal wicks that I'm usually vaping at around 40 watts. This one's about 50/50 pg though, I haven't tried one of my max VGs yet.

I love new toys.

I've heard several Orchid vapers rave about their Goblins. If you've mastered your Orchid builds you're gonna know just what to do with it. The people who have problems with their Goblins I suspect just don't have experience with the style of deck, buids, etc. I'd be curious about a legit side by side comparison though, if you care to share. Cheers!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the added air flow allows you to run a little more power and that sucks more juice than an orchid with a standard chimney.

I got dryish hits after a few pulls so I dremeld out the juice channels... a lot. Looks about as deep as west pole's a page or two back. I think it was the 997 bit.

That did it. The wick can keep up with the added wattage. I used to run ~0.4 ohms (25g, 2.5mm coil) 29w to 31w and with the v2 big bore chimney I am running 33w to 35w. That will run through juice faster so imo the juice channels need to be opened up more than stock.
I think I experience the same thing on mine. Unscrewing the chimney a couple turns helped but it tastes burnt if I draw for too long or chain vape. I was assuming it was the beginning of a dry hit. Planning to deepen the juice channels next to see if that cures it.

My interim solution is to give it a small break in between hits. Never more than 3 back to back.

That's the thinking. More air > more juice > more power. Will we ever graduate from auto shop, fellas? ;):D

blown_engine_001.jpg

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Such an addiction, I was 300whp by 3k miles and it just kept going from there... kind of like our vape hardware collections :D
Now estimated (conservatively) at 520 crank hp :eek: On California 91 octane piss gas :mad:

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm surprised you found those. No mention of "friction fit" in the description. :rolleyes: The metal rings are solid brass or copper which ain't bad. Worth tacking onto the next order. :)

View attachment 15790 View attachment 15791

http://www.fasttech.com/products/3016/10009866/1866003
Just to let you know, yes, these Vapetasia knockoffs are friction-fit and they're great, but they don't fit a lot of atties. On some it's a tight fit, on others it's unbearably loose. Tight fit on KF top caps with fins (but will go on), kinda loose on KF bell caps, and really loose on KF top-fill caps and Orchid V4 top caps (unusable, really). Vapetasia guy came on FT forums and said something about being approached by the manufacturer of these clones, but he turned them down because the tolerances were just too off. Guess they decided to turn around and sell them to FT.

They just came out with these that are similar, but not as fat and no delrin insert: https://www.fasttech.com/product/2169604. If you like the look, I've been using these, but without the bottoms: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007541/1698101-stainless-steel-acrylic-510-drip-tip-2-pack ;)

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just to let you know, yes, these Vapetasia knockoffs are friction-fit and they're great, but they don't fit a lot of atties. On some it's a tight fit, on others it's unbearably loose. Tight fit on KF top caps with fins (but will go on), kinda loose on KF bell caps, and really loose on KF top-fill caps and Orchid V4 top caps (unusable, really). Vapetasia guy came on FT forums and said something about being approached by the manufacturer of these clones, but he turned them down because the tolerances were just too off. Guess they decided to turn around and sell them to FT.

They just came out with these that are similar, but not as fat and no delrin insert: https://www.fasttech.com/product/2169604. If you like the look, I've been using these, but without the bottoms: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007541/1698101-stainless-steel-acrylic-510-drip-tip-2-pack ;)

Welcome @cindycated. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the fits are all over the place, and few 510 DTs are universal. I expect the worst with friction fits and anticipate pulling out my box of miscellaneous tape. :rolleyes: Oh well, what the hell.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
man i dont know why i didnt think of this way to wick it before. ive been using the old school tuck the cotton and just block off the juice channels that way. but just trimming the wick down to form a block makes so much more sense.

not bad for my first build using this wick, loving it so far. and im using 5/64th no leaking

wick.jpg

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome @cindycated. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the fits are all over the place, and few 510 DTs are universal. I expect the worst with friction fits and anticipate pulling out my box of miscellaneous tape. :rolleyes: Oh well, what the hell.
Nice thing about them though, they're clearcoated, so they don't discolor no matter how much spit you get on them. :D Plus your lips aren't touching mystery metals. I like them a lot, just not with the loose-fitting atties. And they don't get as hot.

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
man i dont know why i didnt think of this way to wick it before. ive been using the old school tuck the cotton and just block off the juice channels that way. but just trimming the wick down to form a block makes so much more sense.

not bad for my first build using this wick, loving it so far. and im using 5/64th no leaking

View attachment 16266
Are those just straight blunt cuts right at the edge of the deck?

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I cut my wick straight off even with the outside edge of the negative posts and tuck it all in with nothing on the channels. I feel like it gives a little extra wick so you dont go dry on a super long pull.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
pretty much, my scissors are big (until i get new ones, never had a reason to) so i had to trim it up after the first cut as close to the deck as possible. then wet it and it kind of balloons up for you to form it into a wall/bubble with a micro screw driver.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've heard several Orchid vapers rave about their Goblins. If you've mastered your Orchid builds you're gonna know just what to do with it. The people who have problems with their Goblins I suspect just don't have experience with the style of deck, buids, etc. I'd be curious about a legit side by side comparison though, if you care to share. Cheers!
Hmmmm....Yep! Shining example. I was ripping my hair out with the Orchid at first. Took a couple of weeks and everything was great. Picked up the Goblin and there's been little to no learning curve. I mean, you look at the thing and just think... "Orchid build. Smaller deck, bigger air. I can make this work". However, to start with learning that kind of build with the smaller deck... I could see how that would be daunting to say the least.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone have a spare metal ring for the tank? Mbv juice just cracked my acrylic portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
anyone have experience with Malaysian post w tracking? i had to use it apparently since i moved to my new place

If Malaysian post is the same as Singapore post, yes, for ordering stuff with batteries. It was fine and functional, though obviously not as fast as USPS.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, I'm sad to report that the Orchid has been relegated to living in the vape lair and never leaving the house. When I leave for the day I put my vape gear in a slim book bag. I keep the bag upright-ish and all of the gear is situated to stay upright-ish in it. The orchid is apparently not cool with that. 2 for 2 outings got me a very wet Sigelei mini30. :-/ Looks like it's leaking out the airholes.

If I put it in the bag upside down would it have a better chance of not leaking? Seems like unless it's overfilled then the juice won't have a chance to get into the channels.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I'm sad to report that the Orchid has been relegated to living in the vape lair and never leaving the house. When I leave for the day I put my vape gear in a slim book bag. I keep the bag upright-ish and all of the gear is situated to stay upright-ish in it. The orchid is apparently not cool with that. 2 for 2 outings got me a very wet Sigelei mini30. :-/ Looks like it's leaking out the airholes.

If I put it in the bag upside down would it have a better chance of not leaking? Seems like unless it's overfilled then the juice won't have a chance to get into the channels.

The key is vacuum in the tank, which means being aware of the juice channel openings where the chimney meets the base. If even one is left uncovered by the juice in the tank the tank can lose its vacuum. Once the vacuum is lost the juice can seep out any available opening, air holes at the bottom or drip tip at the top.

Think of three basic positions:

Upright. Vacuum is maintained and the juice doesn't seep freely into the chamber. I carry my Orchids around in my shirt pocket to keep them in this position and have no problems.

Upside down. This is the safest for storage. The tank loses its vacuum but the juice has nowhere to go. Make sure you vape it when you turn it righside up again to build the vacuum. Otherwise it can leak.

Sideways. Worst position. Vacuum is lost as a juice channel opening is uncovered, at which point juice can seep to an open air hole in the deck and out the side. You can lose almost an entire tank of juice this way.​

This is true of all attys of this type, with the degree of leaking risk depending on your juice thickness and wicking style. I have had an Erlkonigin empty a whole tank of juice into my computer bag in less than an hour.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Would one of these help, to cover the airholes when not in use? https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...tech-anti-slip-ring-for-e-cigarette-atomizers
I haven't had any leaks, especially since I started wicking it like M5han (thanks! Works without thinning, even with rayon), but now that I think about it, I do tend to keep it upright - habit from using gennies I guess. :D
yea i found out after i posted theres no need to trim, just that first cut will do it and its ready to go

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
you just want a full sized orchid? that's cool.
actually the reason for the order was everything except the chimney lol but tacking the chimney on will allow me to have two orchids in rotation. plus i like bottom filling, just less trouble with orchids. using the acrylic bell cap with kayfun v4 chimney makes for difficult/impossible filling without syringes so i went with a regular one

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have some long tip'd syringe bottle caps to use, I haven't gotten my kayfun chimney's in yet. I'm going to use them on both of my bell capped orchids.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the mill at work is setup to mill out the juice wells perfectly on my orchid. but I'm too scared to make that jump just yet. I might buy another orchid V6 glass and mod that one. I only went as far as drilling out the air holes.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hehe. I just dropped a couple of those same bases off of an order. :rolleyes:

Lately it seems "in stock" doesn't mean what it used to mean at FT.
well hope they at least send out my order in two pieces, but that may be too optimistic lol says on their site thats how they handle restocking but who knows

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well hope they at least send out my order in two pieces, but that may be too optimistic lol says on their site thats how they handle restocking but who knows

I just do a line item cancellation of the things holding up the order. Have never had them split an order. Have you? o_O

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got the tubing in today for a couple new wide JFC chimneys. The last were 8mm ID; these will be almost 10mm ID. (compared in foreground)

Gonna try a different construction this time using an aluminum washer inside the chamber to sandwich the epoxy. That way no epoxy will be exposed to either the juice or the vapor. Will also strengthen the chimney assembly, making it easier to work on.

IMAG0320_picmonkeyed (1).jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors