Become a Patron!

ORCHID MODIFICATION THREAD

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't believe how long it took me to get around to focusing on optimizing Orchid's flavor production. :rolleyes:

It's clear to me why it did: too many changing variables in my vaping learning curve in the last four months. Starting with rebuildables of various different atty types; starting with Orchid, perfecting wicking, airfow, capacity, etc.; decreasing my nic all along the way while starting DIY juice making with all those variables; and perhaps most importantly increasing my VG. I began with 100% PG, a hold over from getting my early clearomizers and glassomizers to wick generously, and now I'm at 80% VG. With those radically changing viscosities and juice flow characteristics, I had to put juice flow modifications to the side.

Now that I've settled more or less at 80/20 with maxed out air flow, and am focusing on flavor production (what my recent efforts are all about), I'm getting the most dramatic improvement in RTA vaping experience I've had since I got my first Orchid V1. :D

Yes, all you veteran vapers, I do feel like an idiot, or at least a slow learner. But at last I see (taste?) the light, and Orchid can indeed get me to it. My drippers no longer look to me like masters of the flavor universe. ;)

newspaper-great-taste.png

Last edited:

sohkis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
modifications look great!

i might have to send an orchid or two of mine out to you for some optimization, that is of course if you're up to it! haha

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
modifications look great! i might have to send an orchid or two of mine out to you for some optimization, that is of course if you're up to it! haha
I'd be willing to send a couple orchids and a check lol

I promise to be better about posting pics and how-to notes about this. I have no access to a machine shop and do everything in my garage with modest tools, like many of you have. Does take time though. If I figured my labor based on what my job pays hourly, these little projects would be unjustifiable. Thankfully, I'm an enthusiast not a pro, and simply do not figure things that way. :)

Last edited:
Love your work on the orchid west pole!! Inspired me to break out the dremel!!

I have just received the orchid mini from fasttech with the wide bore chimney, this thing is a whole mother step up again!! I have used the chimney and top cap from the mini, the base of a infinite clone which has milled air hole raises and a taifun nano tank, works a treat!!
You can't screw the chimney all the way down with the nano tank but then I never did before, hope this helps a few of you.

9220884994b95470c4d69c159bee94ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have just received the orchid mini from fasttech with the wide bore chimney, this thing is a whole mother step up again!! I have used the chimney and top cap from the mini, the base of a infinite clone which has milled air hole raises and a taifun nano tank, works a treat!!
You can't screw the chimney all the way down with the nano tank but then I never did before, hope this helps a few of you.

9220884994b95470c4d69c159bee94ca.jpg

Cool. :) Just as I expected, that chimney comes up about 1mm short for the Taifun GT nano tank. Looks like you got it together and working fine though. That extra capacity is really needed, don't ya think?

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What is the best build for this thing?

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What is the best build for this thing?

I just got my first orchid so I am by no means a pro with the setup yet but I used @franciscan "Mickey Mouse" orchid build on mine and it's been working beautifully! Perfect airflow and it's super tasty.
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...famous-mickey-mouse-ears-orchid-builds.32290/

image3 (1).JPG image1 (5).JPG My setup. 30g, 12 wraps, 2.0 mm ID, 1.3 ohms I have it wicked with rayon and I can run it up to 30W on my box mod with no issues whatsoever.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for all the suggestions, one would think with a .4 build you would get amazing flavor eh? That's what I get for rebuilding lol

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I get good flavor with a simple dual coil 26ga at 8 wraps for .5 ohms. Definitely gonna do the 28ga quads next tho!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FYI friends, a few notes on the V6 Style D.

The outstanding features here remain the unique tall bell cap and the useful two-piece chimney. The base is a pro and con situation that you might want to consider before buying.

Pro: Pulling the plastic air tubes in the deck results in 2.8mm air holes. Personally, that's a size I'm very happy with, so no need to drill out further. :) Still have to do the sides though.

View attachment 14587

Stock.

View attachment 14588

Air tubes pulled.

View attachment 14589

Con: Style D also uses this type of adjustable 510 contact screw. I am not a fan of it. Wasn't a fan if it on the Erlkonigin either.

View attachment 14590

The threads are too loose and it changes setting to easily. As a result, you can work the screw down to this position simply by tightening the atty. This can spell non-contact or short depending on your mod. So you have to pay attention to it all the time. I prefer that the 510 pin stay put at the right spot and do my adjustments on the mod side.

View attachment 14591

Of course, you can always resort to conductive thread locker or epoxy. Personally, I would very much like to avoid that in the interests if easy disassembly.

Conclusion: I want the tank. I want several of them. I want them now, but have to wait. :( The rest I can do without, can get a la carte, or can get better, in the case of the base.

I have updated my comments on the V6 Style D with the tall bell cap. Might want to check it out.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/orchid-modification-thread.20819/page-22#post-310781

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't believe how long it took me to get around to focusing on optimizing Orchid's flavor production. :rolleyes:

It's clear to me why it did: too many changing variables in my vaping learning curve in the last four months. Starting with rebuildables of various different atty types; starting with Orchid, perfecting wicking, airfow, capacity, etc.; decreasing my nic all along the way while starting DIY juice making with all those variables; and perhaps most importantly increasing my VG. I began with 100% PG, a hold over from getting my early clearomizers and glassomizers to wick generously, and now I'm at 80% VG. With those radically changing viscosities and juice flow characteristics, I had to put juice flow modifications to the side.

Now that I've settled more or less at 80/20 with maxed out air flow, and am focusing on flavor production (what my recent efforts are all about), I'm getting the most dramatic improvement in RTA vaping experience I've had since I got my first Orchid V1. :D

Yes, all you veteran vapers, I do feel like an idiot, or at least a slow learner. But at last I see (taste?) the light, and Orchid can indeed get me to it. My drippers no longer look to me like masters of the flavor universe. ;)

newspaper-great-taste.png
i started on the same journey since ive been using the orchid base. i usually use 3/32 or even 7/64th diameter coils in the kayfun style builds decks so enough juice is always in the coil so theres never dry hits. but with how efficient the orchid wicking is you can cut down the size of the coil and still always have enough juice coming in.

so i put in a 5/64th build and holy crap that flavor jumped x10. couldnt believe how huge the difference was and i started thinking about it. the conclusion i came to was that since the coil is smaller, it burns up the juice faster. since the orchid is so efficient at wicking its always supplying more juice. so what im thinking is that its the quick supply of fresh juice paired with how fast the juice is vaped in a smaller coil, fresh juice (as opposed to juice already sitting in the coil being heated) = better flavor.

does that make sense to anyone? lol

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is the pin on the v4 adjustable ?

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i started on the same journey since ive been using the orchid base. i usually use 3/32 or even 7/64th diameter coils in the kayfun style builds decks so enough juice is always in the coil so theres never dry hits. but with how efficient the orchid wicking is you can cut down the size of the coil and still always have enough juice coming in.

so i put in a 5/64th build and holy crap that flavor jumped x10. couldnt believe how huge the difference was and i started thinking about it. the conclusion i came to was that since the coil is smaller, it burns up the juice faster. since the orchid is so efficient at wicking its always supplying more juice. so what im thinking is that its the quick supply of fresh juice paired with how fast the juice is vaped in a smaller coil, fresh juice (as opposed to juice already sitting in the coil being heated) = better flavor.

I've noticed as well that smaller diameter coils put off better flavor. I always use the same screwdriver regardless of whether its for an RDA or RTA.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Damn it! My tracking is still hung up in china sorting complete... I think it got lost on the boat or something. Never had it take this long once it's on it's way out of China!
I am so excited to check the fatty chimney out of course shipment is having issues!!

Grrr... tapping toes not so patiently :(

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Interesting. I bumped up from 5/64" ID coils a while ago and haven't gone back. Perhaps I should reconsider. Might as well as I'm reconsidering everything else having to do with flavor.

My post was more about matching juice flow to airflow to intensify flavor. The stock juice channels and air holes are pretty well matched, even for pretty high VG. Open your airflow way up and you've got a moving target however. Don't yet know where I think the ideal ratio is, or if there really is one, but the stock ratio of juice channel area (including intrusion of the threads) to air hole area is 1:1.6. That would appear to be a decent starting point when increasing either.

While I'm working on that I'm going to stay with a common coil size (3/32") for comparison purposes. After that, a round of coil and wick changes. :)

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn it! My tracking is still hung up in china sorting complete... I think it got lost on the boat or something. Never had it take this long once it's on it's way out of China!
I am so excited to check the fatty chimney out of course shipment is having issues!!

Grrr... tapping toes not so patiently :(

I've had the same problem recently. Plus other processing issues. Stuff listed as in stock not shipping within a whole week of ordering. I cancelled a few orders because of that. Meanwhile four orders are taking too long. Hope it's all national holiday distortions. o_O

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I have a v4 tobecco/tobeco clone. I just tried to move the pin and it works.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I have a v4 tobecco/tobeco clone. I just tried to move the pin and it works.

FWIW, if it's this original style it's not really adjustable, because the contact pin also retains the center post. You can unscrew it a bit to raise the contact off the insulator, but it will work it's way back, raising and loosening the center post in the process. Keep these screwed down.

pa311859-edit-jpg.8259

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, if it's this original style it's not really adjustable, because the contact pin also retains the center post. You can unscrew it a bit to raise the contact off the insulator, but it will work it's way back, raising and loosening the center post in the process. Keep these screwed down.

pa311859-edit-jpg.8259

Ahh...a very good point.
I've kept mine tightened normally as the mods have the adjustable 510s. But, I just knew that mine did unscrew a bit. :D

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

pa311859-edit-jpg.8259

Hmm thanks, my colonial mod is not accepting my orchid. It works on other mods and other attys work on it. Any suggestions l?

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm thanks, my colonial mod is not accepting my orchid. It works on other mods and other attys work on it. Any suggestions l?

I don't know if you have the means to do so but what I did was actually make new insulators. I made the bottom insulator a little bit longer than the stock one so when it's tightened down the pin protrudes farther than it did before.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Will look into that, thank you!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

If the distance between the atty contact and bottom of the base is 4.6-4.8mm it is basically within spec. If it's working on other mods chances are it's very close to that.

Check the mod. Are you sure you have contact between the atty and mod center pins? If the mod center pin is already extended as far as it will go, remove the lock ring on the mod's center pin. Screw the atty all the way onto the mod connector, then screw in the mod center pin without lock ring until it contacts the atty contact. When you know you have solid contact, assemble the mod and try firing.

Last edited:

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If the distance between the atty contact and bottom of the base is 4.6-4.8mm it is basically within spec. If it's working on other mods chances are it's very close to that.

Check the mod. Are you sure you have contact between the atty and mod center pins? If the mod center pin is already extended as far as it will go, remove the lock ring on the mod's center pin. Screw the atty all the way onto the mod connector, then screw in the mod center pin without lock ring until it contacts the atty contact. When you know you have solid contact, assemble the mod and try firing.
Yeah that makes more sense. I remember having to lengthen insulators because my stock was letting my pin sit just about flush. Btw, west pole. Really bummed I missed out on the v6's you had. Got some juice that I didn't know was a tank cracker. That spare v4 I picked up from you has been rendered useless for the time being.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah that makes more sense. I remember having to lengthen insulators because my stock was letting my pin sit just about flush. Btw, west pole. Really bummed I missed out on the v6's you had. Got some juice that I didn't know was a tank cracker. That spare v4 I picked up from you has been rendered useless for the time being.

That sucks, Jake. I've been lucky, no tank crackers yet. I've got some miscellaneous PC spares and one full size quartz tank w. SS rings if you gotta have something to tide you over. Just lemmie know. :)

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Ok here are some pics, fun fact: vapetasia eBay is vapeomg which I got from them. Would not recommend buying from them imo
76efa78fd2512da256f38e485ade1dbe.jpg
023a4d04a9dd9816c6a907ae696df437.jpg
5b0fac7d29673512e779135ea7c61013.jpg
86a9ca1ae5e65be8219b054e2652b010.jpg
67823b023646d1686b31287dc0ea38e2.jpg

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok here are some pics, fun fact: vapetasia eBay is vapeomg which I got from them. Would not recommend buying from them imo
76efa78fd2512da256f38e485ade1dbe.jpg
023a4d04a9dd9816c6a907ae696df437.jpg
5b0fac7d29673512e779135ea7c61013.jpg
86a9ca1ae5e65be8219b054e2652b010.jpg
67823b023646d1686b31287dc0ea38e2.jpg

Hmmm. One piece center pin, no locking ring, and it appears to be screwed all the way down. You still need to find out if you have positive contact with the atty pin. If it is just a little bit short, you can sand/file down the insulator or mod head itself.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What should I sand it down with?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And really fine grit too, 800 or so. Check it many times, you will take more off than you want real fast (ask me how i know this lol).
Couple circles, check. Couple circles, check... repeat till you get what you want.

CosmicVapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think it's the insulator, is it possible that the threads are to big. I have been running the orchid/colonial with no problem. I take off the tank and now it won't go back on. It was my favorite mod too

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it's the insulator, is it possible that the threads are to big. I have been running the orchid/colonial with no problem. I take off the tank and now it won't go back on. It was my favorite mod too

:confused: Sorry, I can't tell by your descriptions what's going on with your mod, and would prefer not to keep guessing. Excuse me if I bow out at this point. It seems like your Orchid is fine.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi hi :). Thanks. Just lurking and reading. I only have one orchid base and have not yet decided what I want to build it into. There are so many possibilities here!

I know, so many possibilities! Well, take your time, and just ask for any help you might need. We're very friendly and generous here. :)

516.jpg

That said, I'm signing off and going to sleep. Cheers.

VU Sponsors