Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
AACK!
I swore to myself that I would never turn into one of those better than thou ex smoker assholes.
Managed not to so far.
An asshole on some other subjects though :devil:

Seriously, the only time I ever say anything is if cigarette smoke stinks up the car and makes me want to choke, or if I hear my husband back there hacking up a lung when his stubborn self won't give up the cigs. There's a house full of vape gear here. So sometimes, yeah, I say something, but I need him to stick around. I'm shocked that he doesn't have COPD already.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Actually I think pretty much all my vape gear is contraband.
maybe not the Subtank minis and the Kbox minis?

There is something to be said for liking some old stuff. I doubt that any of mine is contraband, even though I may have purchased it recently. I get stuff when it's on closeout.

I have one of those Kbox minis, and I like that thing. Do you like yours? Mine's all stainless and it is sleek. Haven't had it long, but it feels well made.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is something to be said for liking some old stuff. I doubt that any of mine is contraband, even though I may have purchased it recently. I get stuff when it's on closeout.
As I read the regulations no new vape products were to be introduced to the US market after 8-8-2016 without first having a PMTA approval from the FDA.
Vaping items on the market before 8-8-2016 have until 2022? to get their PMTA approval. If they apply for approval by 2021?

All vape items not meeting these criteria would be contraband?
Perhaps that is not exactly the correct word lets just say illegal to sell in the USA or illegal to import into the USA.

So if your vape stuff was not for sale in the USA before 8-8-2016 it is not legal since afik NO PMTA applications have been approved for any vape stuff.

All this seems to have been totally ignored by US consumers (self included) and retailers.
And forgotten by many vapers.

And it kinda pissed me off that a pro vaping and anti deeming regs outfit like Not Blowing Smoke would not have kept their website up to date. To me that appears like they have gotten lackadaisical at best or given up at worst.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
swore to myself that I would never turn into one of those better than thou ex smoker assholes.

I made the same vow and intend to keep it but struggle with it due to this same problem \|/ \|/ \|/

I hear my husband back there hacking up a lung when his stubborn self won't give up the cigs. There's a house full of vape gear here. So sometimes, yeah, I say something, but I need him to stick around. I'm shocked that he doesn't have COPD already.

Mine does have COPD and has had four strokes (one was super, very, very serious) his doctors blame 100% on smoking

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seriously, the only time I ever say anything is if cigarette smoke stinks up the car and makes me want to choke, or if I hear my husband back there hacking up a lung when his stubborn self won't give up the cigs. There's a house full of vape gear here. So sometimes, yeah, I say something, but I need him to stick around. I'm shocked that he doesn't have COPD already.
I do not say anything even then because I have done it to others in the past.
Well not the COPD thing.
But I was developing a morning smokers cough. And a minor smokers cough all day.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I made the same vow and intend to keep it but struggle with it due to this same problem \|/ \|/ \|/

Mine does have COPD and has had four strokes (one was super, very, very serious) his doctors blame 100% on smoking

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. COPD is bad enough. :hug: Really, I am so sorry.

@The Cromwell What I meant to say is that I would hazard a guess and feel pretty sure of it that all my gear WAS already on the market in August of 2016. The single exception might be the Pico resin. The earliest reviews I see on it are March of 2017. Beyond that I have a bunch of Aspire Vivi Nova tanks, Smok Champion Vivi Novas, a Zephyrus, a Triton Mini and Pegasus mod, Nautilus and Nautilus Minis, Protank IIIs, a Sigelei 75W TC, a Sigelei Spark, a Sigelei MiniBook, the Kanger Kbox Mini Platinum, and some Chinese clone Kabukis. Oh, and a bunch of old mech mods, most of which I've had since at least 2016. I've got a couple of EVODs left around here, some cartomizers, old shit like that that I've just never thrown away.

Guess I'd have to hide the Pico if the FDA Raid Squad ever showed up in the yard.

Juice, now, that might be a different story. No telling what kind of approvals some of these places did or didn't get. There isn't so much of it that I wouldn't toss it in the trash if it was really going to be a problem. I'm guessing I don't have to get their permission to make my own.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
My 12yr Dr who was also administrator of about 7 other Dr's retired recently. I told him DAMN, and he laughed and said he was 70. So I told him I guess I was going to have to train a new Dr and he agreed. :giggle:
Saw the new one about a week ago. Me mentioned a little COPD I have and asked me if I smoke. I said no I vape, and breath easier and feel better...He was nodding yes before I could stop telling him my pro's. He said that was good and there's not much that negatively impacts from vaping. Nothing is better than just clean air, but it's way better than smoking.

So far the training is going well :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My 12yr Dr who was also administrator of about 7 other Dr's retired recently. I told him DAMN, and he laughed and said he was 70. So I told him I guess I was going to have to train a new Dr and he agreed. :giggle:
Saw the new one about a week ago. Me mentioned a little COPD I have and asked me if I smoke. I said no I vape, and breath easier and feel better...He was nodding yes before I could stop telling him my pro's. He said that was good and there's not much that negatively impacts from vaping. Nothing is better than just clean air, but it's way better than smoking.

So far I'm liking him :)

My sister is convinced. Her dad (she's actually a half-sister) died of emphysema at age 59, and she was diagnosed with COPD when she was in her early 40s. Ten or more years on, and about two years into vaping, she's healthier and has more stamina than she has in years.

She still has some weird health problems, though. She actually had a heart attack while she was living with us several years ago, purely from low blood volume. She said the hospital told her that she had about 1/3 the amount of blood in her that she should've.

Years and years of white powder up the nose, plus decades of refusal to drink anything but coffee and Pepsi (and alcohol), resulted in dehydration and chronic nosebleeds. Now she is convinced of more things than just vaping. She needs to drink water. The nosebleeds, well, about the only thing they can do is cauterize the places that are bleeding when it gets really bad. Heaven help her if she sneezes, sometimes.

The things we do to ourselves...

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Me too, hon. My life right now would be a lot more pleasant if I had taken better care of myself in years past. I have been indulgent.

I hear that - I was also indulgent and neglectful - a wonderful combo

Sex, drugs and rock `n roll turned into eat, drink and be married -

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After threatening by tweet to veto the bill, Congress’s trillion-dollar, two-year budget proposal was signed into law without including a crucial provision that may have saved millions lives. The Cole- Bishop Amendment was initially included in the 2,232-page document, but the provision was seemingly removed before Trump signed the bill into law.

The current regulations state than any vaping product released for sale into the public market after February 15, 2007, must undergo an extensive Pre-Market Tobacco Application (PMTA) process. Gaining approval will involve enormous amounts of bureaucratic red tape, take months if not years to obtain, and could cost retailers in upwards of $1 million per product. The Cole-Bishop Amendment would have moved this predicate date forward to August 8, 2016.

https://www.vapes.com/blogs/news/ti...e-pass-to-change-vaping-rules-predicate-date#

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Everybody's a damn supremacist of some kind these days.
Can't think of a single thing I feel supreme about... well, maybe being an Old Phart with a real live work ethic that most of modern America doesn't seem to share. Will that count? Can I be an Old Phart Supremacist? Please, please, pretty please...

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use to cough all day and night when i smoked
Never did. Started at 12 years old, then took a break for a couple years, then started again in basic training and never put them down until after vaping for a couple months (2 years 7 months ago). Fifty+ years of Camels should have given me lung cancer - or so they say - but it didn't even make me hack. And today, I'm being a good boy around those who still smoke. If I can't handle it, I walk away a few steps, but I will not condemn them for doing what I did most of my life.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep. Only I quit the illegal drugs.
Never did any of those. My sister had blue pills and red pills (pick one) :rolleyes: - OK, something that took her up and others that brought her down and sucked MaryJane like it was going out of style. She talked me into a joint one night after my first wife left - I was very depressed about losing my daughter. I was hoping to be able to float around the room like she was doing, but all I got was a dry throat, so never bothered with that crap ever again.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never did. Started at 12 years old, then took a break for a couple years, then started again in basic training and never put them down until after vaping for a couple months (2 years 7 months ago). Fifty+ years of Camels should have given me lung cancer - or so they say - but it didn't even make me hack. And today, I'm being a good boy around those who still smoke. If I can't handle it, I walk away a few steps, but I will not condemn them for doing what I did most of my life.
I use to cough my ass off but i was smoking 4 packs a day most days

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use to cough my ass off but i was smoking 4 packs a day most days
I think the most I ever managed in one day was three packs - extreme stress and most of them burned up in the ashtray while I cussed at the computer. On an average day it was 1 1/2 to 2 packs.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never did any of those. My sister had blue pills and red pills (pick one) :rolleyes: - OK, something that took her up and others that brought her down and sucked MaryJane like it was going out of style. She talked me into a j*int one night after my first wife left - I was very depressed about losing my daughter. I was hoping to be able to float around the room like she was doing, but all I got was a dry throat, so never bothered with that crap ever again.
The only illegal substance I enjoyed was xxxx. When it started increasing my aches and pains, it was time to quit the stuff.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No little cigars?
They are cheap.
Actually, the last couple years of smoking was Golden Harvest little cigars. South Dakota raised cigarette taxes $10 a carton (above and beyond federal and routine state taxes), so we went to Wyoming to buy our cigarettes --- 10 cartons a month between the two of us, so that more than paid the extra gas money to cross the state line (Oh, hey! I guess I was doing illegal stuff after all!) :devil: Anyway, their price went up too and we once again checked the local tobacco stores (NOT grocery stores or Wally World) because they were cheaper. Camels were almost $60/carton and they had these Golden Harvest things for only $12/carton (still 20 per pack, 10 packs per carton). I got some full flavors and Lannie went with lights. After one carton, we decided we could live with that. Then, the first of June, 2015, I brought home an ecig to try it out. Yuck! But that made us do a little research and we ordered beginners mods and the rest is history.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had found an online site where I could order bags of tobacco for $10 a pound. I also got the "cigarette tubes" with filters, and a machine. With that, I could smoke for $10 a month.
The only health reason I had for quitting, was the hiccups that would not go away all day. It sucked not being able to smoke with the hiccups.
I don't get that with vaping.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I still have the cigarette machine in a drawer around here some place. I tired that (filtered tubes, etc.) and, with my arthritis, I could smoke them faster than I could make them, so I gave up.
I sold my machine for almost what I paid for it. I didn't want anything that could take me back to smoking those nasty things.
I had one of the big metal things with the crank handle on top.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think mine was hard reddish-brown plastic, but it had a big metal crank handle on top, a slot to put the tobacco in, and the single tube stuck out one end. It never occurred to me to try to sell that piece of junk, and here, in the middle of nowhere, none of my rancher neighbors smokes (or vapes). If I ever find the damn thing, I can throw it in the burn barrel.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I could make a carton of coffin nails in about an hour with mine. So, I only had to make them every other week. The guy who bought it lived in the next town over, 16 miles away.
I posted it on Facebook buy and sell groups.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No way was I ever that fast with that stupid machine, and I would have had to crank out more than four packs a day for me and Wifey. I don't do facebook or any of those social media thingies -- this thread is the closest I get to social media and no one here would want it.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe you could disassemble it and use the parts for something else. The crank handle could even become a latch on a gate or cabinet door.

Food for thought.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use to cough all day and night when i smoked

Heh, I still do. That's asthma -- when you hear/feel the wheeze, you gotta cough and get that shit out so it's not blocking the airways. That's why I can't vape much Vg -- because if I do, I can feel it in there, and I hear a lot of wheezing, but I can't actually get anything out, no matter how hard I try. With 86% or 87% PG, I don't really feel much in there, just a slight wheeze now and then, which seems perfectly normal for someone with asthma. At least I don't wake up feeling like I'm drowning anymore, as I did when I smoked.

Andria

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used to smoke a half a pack a day. So, every time I had a chest xray, it looked like I had never smoked. But, I bet they could tell I did, just from the smell.

You betcha! My very first check-up after I had switched to vaping, I hadn't even seen the doc yet to give him my good news -- the nurse was leaning in close to put the BP thing around my upper arm, and she looks up at me with a surprised expression -- "Did you quit smoking?" she asked in something like shock. Gave her a big ol grin and said I sure did, I tried vaping like I told the doc I would last time I was here, and that stuff really works! I'd been quit at that point almost a year, which was truly miraculous -- best I ever managed before, back in 1984, was 3 months. They still applaud it, everytime I go in, because they can tell immediately, I don't reek. :) As my doc has said over and over... "ANYTHING is better than smoking!!!"

Andria

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe you could disassemble it and use the parts for something else. The crank handle could even become a latch
So, in other words, add it to my pile of 10,000 other pieces of junk in my shop that I won't throw away because maybe -- just maybe -- I can use them to make something else one of these days, providing, of course, that I remember I even have it and which box of junk I stashed it in. o_O I only remembered I have it somewhere in this house because you said you use to have one. Otherwise, I might have found it sometime in the next 10 years while rummaging around looking for where I left my... Oh well. What I really need to be remembering is where I stashed the old plexiglass panels so I can make a new floor for the house chicken's cage and... and... and... way too many things on the to-do list.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You betcha! My very first check-up after I had switched to vaping, I hadn't even seen the doc yet to give him my good news -- the nurse was leaning in close to put the BP thing around my upper arm, and she looks up at me with a surprised expression -- "Did you quit smoking?" she asked in something like shock. Gave her a big ol grin and said I sure did, I tried vaping like I told the doc I would last time I was here, and that stuff really works! I'd been quit at that point almost a year, which was truly miraculous -- best I ever managed before, back in 1984, was 3 months. They still applaud it, everytime I go in, because they can tell immediately, I don't reek. :) As my doc has said over and over... "ANYTHING is better than smoking!!!"

Andria
I still get asked "do you smoke?" followed by "have you ever smoked?". Next time they ask, I think I'll respond with "do I smell like it?"

VU Sponsors