Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yep.
And they know it and some use the innocent child...

Some do. Of course they do. My ex-daughter-in-law did, without a doubt. But she is impaired in a whole different way. I never knew there were people like her in this world, until I got to really know her. Frankly, knowing her makes me appreciate how honest my own children are. They will at least admit when they've screwed up.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yep.
And they know it and some use the innocent child...

I have experience with that - through my brother's family

Him and ex are raging alcoholics and boy did the kids suffer for that

I was often put in an awkward position, because it was important to me that his kids not suffer the way we did, but the parents were so wildly irresponsible and out of control it was difficult to do things for the kids but not reward the parents for not exercising temperance

I'd do things like send actual groceries instead of cash, insist on paying a utility direct instead of giving cash, etc

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My own son wanted to to "do his own thing" for a while after high school, though with full intention of one day getting to college for an actual degree. I think he just wasn't sure "what he wanted to be when he grew up." He did some building for a while in other states, and decided that while it was interesting, it would be more interesting if he was a boss instead of a grunt. :D He's always had a real knack for math and love of science, so he decided on electrical engineering, and he's doing really well so far.

He's a really exceptional case in a lot of ways; an only child (as I am, and as my husband was till he was 11 and his parents adopted a little girl), off-the-charts intelligent, and I've always talked to him and treated him like he has a brain in his head, rather than treating him like a small retarded person as so many seem to treat their children -- for example: I told him when he was 6 or 7 that no one could MAKE him behave himself in school and act right and do his work, that he had to choose whether he wanted to be rewarded for good behavior and good grades, or punished for naughtiness and bad grades -- the ball was in HIS court, for him to choose. He really got it. He did have a little trouble with grades, mainly with not wanting to do the busywork that constitutes "learning" in public school, but in his entire public school career, I had to visit the school for his behavior exactly ONCE -- otherwise, he was damn near a "model child" -- sure, he got silly and overwrought sometimes, but that's a kid for you; if he was more energetic or more vocal than I felt like dealing with or listening to, I told him to go do that in his room, and come on back out when he felt more sociable. That worked too. :) Mainly, I treated him like a person I respected, and he has mostly returned that courtesy to me and his dad.

He's not working right now, he's going to school full-time; he's driving our truck (sole vehicle), we're paying for all the gas and insurance, BUT, he's getting a small monthly amount of food stamps, which helps the family budget quite a bit, and he's on Kaiser Permanente's Bridge program, which gives him 2 yrs of free medical care. He's considerate of our needs when we really need the truck (for paydays mostly, and when either of us need med. checkups for our various conditions), he does errands for us when he's not in school, he does his own damn laundry! :D For living at home as an unemployed adult student, he's doing very well. Trust me, we wouldn't have offered him this opportunity if he was one of those "behavior problems." :D

It really does depend on the kid, and the conditions.

Andria

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have experience with that - through my brother's family

Him and ex are raging alcoholics and boy did the kids suffer for that

I was often put in an awkward position, because it was important to me that his kids not suffer the way we did, but the parents were so wildly irresponsible and out of control it was difficult to do things for the kids but not reward the parents for not exercising temperance

I'd do things like send actual groceries instead of cash, insist on paying a utility direct instead of giving cash, etc

The things that can happen in this world are mind-blowing. Thing is, when we get all judgmental about "kids nowadays," all I think about are the drunks that were in my life when I was growing up, or the kids my kids were friends with, who had parents with worse substance abuse problems than their own kids.

In my husband's family, his stepfather's brother's wife BLEW UP THE HOUSE (their family's old home place) when she let a cigarette fall down into her chair when she passed out cold, dead drunk, and then roused up and went on to bed. The chair smoldered, then finally really caught fire, and when the fire got to the propane line in the wall behind it.....BLOOEY! Glass was blown all the way into the road. She was killed in the fire.

When my youngest was about 13, she had a friend whose parents were both alcoholics, and that child lived at our house for an entire summer. I did not have the heart to send her home. Her mother was one of those people who smelled like alcohol even when she wasn't actively drinking. I swear it was being excreted through the pores in her skin. Is it a surprising thing if that girl went on to have problems of her own?

It isn't just now. It's worse now, but there have been problems all along, and people just hid them and refused to admit that anything was wrong in their families.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The things that can happen in this world are mind-blowing. Thing is, when we get all judgmental about "kids nowadays," all I think about are the drunks that were in my life when I was growing up, or the kids my kids were friends with, who had parents with worse substance abuse problems than their own kids.

I totally agree -

And unlike most old pharts - I don't see the new generations as a bunch of lazy losers

While those types certainly exist - they have always existed, just in our day they didn't have cell phones, lol

But really, I feel good about the young people I know running the world in my place someday

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is it a surprising thing if that girl went on to have problems of her own?

It isn't just now. It's worse now, but there have been problems all along, and people just hid them and refused to admit that anything was wrong in their families.

Yep. My mom, and also her brother, were "high function alcoholics", and my mom also had problems with valium and other pharma substances -- but she had nothing but disdain for my dad, whom she divorced when I was 5, for his being a "drunk drug addict" -- no surprise at all, especially as I grew up in the 70s when substance abuse was REALLY catching on, that I suffered many forms of substance abuse. But unlike my mom, more like my dad, I finally managed to get a handle on it all; the drugs, before I ever married and then again, off more drugs before my current husband and I married, before I had my son -- and then when my son was 4, when I got sober, because I didn't want him to grow up either motherless, or with a drunk foul-mouthed abusive mother as I did -- which of course was my SECOND reason for getting sober, the first being my phobia of emesis. :D

But in recent years, I've learned that alcoholism is actually a great deal more rampant in my mom's family than anyone could ever have guessed -- my mom's brother died of cirrhosis in 2005 -- which shocked a lot of folks, with his long successful career in banking. One of my first cousins was diagnosed with cirrhosis and liver failure about 5-6 yrs ago, and fortunately was young enough and in good enough health otherwise, to get a liver transplant, and he's doing very well now, full recovery, no rejection problems. One of his sister's sons is a full-on drunk who's still trying to pretend he's a social drinker -- but he's a social drinker the way I was -- I thought it meant "getting drunk with your friends." :D We're all hoping he'll come around, and I've offered Kay (his mom) my number and willingness to speak to him about it at any hour -- which is one of the things that a truly recovering alcoholic has to do... but so far, he hasn't called. :(

Andria

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It's hard to see someone who desperately needs help, and have to wait until they are ready to receive it. Won't work otherwise, though. Like beating your head against a wall.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to work on juice recipes before I get myself in trouble in here again. See y'all later. :devil:

Have a good un.
It has been a real conversation.
I will not call it real good though, topic was kinda sucky all around.
But hey sometimes we need to talk about such things and what better place than the Old Pharts club?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
She completed HS and got a decent job
I am the first person in my family (either side of either parent) to graduate from high school. My older sister got preggers during the summer after her junior year, so she never finished school. Similar stories exist for all my relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins) - the girls got pregnant too early and the guys had to drop out and become lumberjacks or something so they could support the girl THEY knocked up. My education continued via military, then night courses afterward, until I had enough "wallpaper" to get a better job, then more education to get promotions, etc. No one helped with that. And the constant learning so I could get promoted and earn more money to take care of my own new family might well be one of the things that killed that marriage - she needed more of my time and I thought I was doing the best by providing money when maybe more personal time would have been a better solution.
I think it has been an interesting discussion
Me too. I am learning something from this.
the parents were so wildly irresponsible and out of control
I suspect I got my work ethic from watching my mom work her ass off all her life. She and my father got divorced when I was 2 (my sister was 5) and she had to work to feed us, so we ended up in a foster home for a year until an aunt moved in with mom so someone could take care of us. But when I was 10, I noticed that my mom was working three jobs (at 75 cents to $1 per hour) - waitress at a cafe M-F daytime, home to make a quick dinner for us, then off to be a tavern waitress, then a barmaid at a different place on weekends. She was determined to feed and clothe us kids and keep a halfway decent roof over our heads. I got to the point where I never asked for the shit kids absolutely demand today, and I spent all my summers working in the berry fields and later, bucking hay (the start of my back problems). In high school, I got a job as assistant janitor at the high school, 2-3 hours after school M-F for $1.25/hr. So I couldn't take the bus and had to drive myself to-from school. Luckily, gas was only 25 cents per gallon back then. The used car only cost $50 and yes, it looked like shit, but it got me where I needed to go.
It's hard to see someone who desperately needs help, and have to wait until they are ready to receive it. Won't work otherwise, though. Like beating your head against a wall.
Old wise man once said, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Doing well, thank you Jimi. I sympathize with you for your knee pain, bud. I have some too. It surely isn't fun. Do you plan to have your ACL surgically repaired?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hey Chesapeake. How you doing tonight?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh pretty well went no where today.
Few inches of snow and sleet all sloppy and then rain on it since noonish.
Rain should quit sometime tonight.
did Laundry and such today.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Snow called for here never materialized. What were we talking about last night? Crap weather forecasting? :giggle:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LMAO
See same response as last night.

I just figured out yesterday that they do exist.
Not sure if you eat them and just become self wiping or what though.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
LMAO
See same response as last night.

I just figured out yesterday that they do exist.
Not sure if you eat them and just become self wiping or what though.

I can't even say what just went through my mind. Beyond that, I'm just confused.

Have been doing some reading elsewhere in the forum today, and realized what good manners everyone in this thread has. Is it because we're Old Pharts, or are we jes' speshull?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
People got some opinions, for sure. The one that's absolutely off-limits these days appears to be politics. I hope we don't talk about politics.

I said something in another thread about listening to CNN on the radio, and several people had opinions about that.

Dunno if I can always catch it, but have to tell you. I have a renegade "U" key on my keyboard. Nearly every time I press it, I end up with more than one "U." So it youu see "youu" very often, then youu will juust know whyy. Oooops.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have a serious question. Why are people so against vaping? What's with all the Reddit hoo-hah?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Doing well, thank you Jimi. I sympathize with you for your knee pain, bud. I have some too. It surely isn't fun. Do you plan to have your ACL surgically repaired?
Thank you. Yeah some day, I need both knees replaced they are bone on bone (no cartilage) and are chipping the bone, but i have to work on my cancer first.:eek: God life's a bitch

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you. Yeah some day, I need both knees replaced they are bone on bone (no cartilage) and are chipping the bone, but i have to work on my cancer first.:eek: God life's a bitch

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a serious question. Why are people so against vaping? What's with all the Reddit hoo-hah?
Best I can gather it is because what was being done was illegal per FDA regulations.Thnically no new flavors of juice made in the last year can be sold and no advertising, etc.

Actually nothing vaping made in the past year can be sold legally in the USA unless it is the same model that was being sold before the cut off date.

And looks like the FDA is beginning to gear up for enforcement.
Prolly lots of bad things for vaping coming up in the next few years.
Unless the Deeming regs are rescinded or heavily modified.
Both of which I am not optimistic on happening.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Good grief. That sounds like a handful to deal with. Has your ortho doc considered that hyaluronic acid gel for your knees?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ohh pretty well went no where today.
Few inches of snow and sleet all sloppy and then rain on it since noonish.
Rain should quit sometime tonight.
did Laundry and such today.
We got 11 inches today and more coming tonight, guess I am grounded sure can't shovel it till my knee gets better.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Snow called for here never materialized. What were we talking about last night? Crap weather forecasting? :giggle:

Well, I was wrong. It has now started snowing, apparently within the last hour or so.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Best I can gather it is because what was being done was illegal per FDA regulations.Thnically no new flavors of juice made in the last year can be cold and no advertising, etc.

Actually nothing vaping made in the past year can be sold legally in the USA unless it is the same model that was being sold before the cut off date.

And looks like the FDA is beginning to gear up for enforcement.
Prolly lots of bad things for vaping coming up in the next few years.
Unless the Deeming regs are rescinded or heavily modified.
Both of which I am not optimistic on happening.

Guess I'd better learn to build decent coils pretty quick.

My good friend who I've known since high school spent her career working for the FDA. She actually was in the US Public Health Service, but she worked alongside FDA employees. It is somewhat convoluted structurally, and I don't completely understand the relationship between those entities.

You should hear some of the things she says about how ridiculous it is there.

Hope I don't tread on anyone's toes, but according to her, there is a lot of incompetence, a lot of power grabbing, decisions that don't make any sense, bad science, on and on and on.

Knowing her personality, I don't know how she didn't go crazy there. She is not one to put up with b-s.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also on the reddit thing giving away Vape stuff is illegal per FDA Regs.
And technically all juice makers must have a tobacco manufacturers license and sellers must have a tobacco retailers license.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You gonna test that? I don't like taking pills

Alright, well since you went there, my thought was...would you even need to be self-wiping after you swallowed a toilet paper pill? Seems to me that NOTHING would get around that once it absorbed a little moisture...oh gross...

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm so sorry to hear that. Didn't realize. I hope your treatments are manageable for you. :hug:
I quit letting "them" treat me and am treating myself for the cancer. They said they couldn't cure it and they didn't even slow it up. i have completely stopped it and shrank some of it by myself. They were killing me .

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I quit letting "them" treat me and am treating myself for the cancer. They said they couldn't cure it and they didn't even slow it up. i have completely stopped it and shrank some of it by myself. They were killing me .

Wow. Well that is absolutely wonderful. I am amazed. Good on you, Jimi.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright, well since you went there, my thought was...would you even need to be self-wiping after you swallowed a toilet paper pill? Seems to me that NOTHING would get around that once it absorbed a little moisture...oh gross...
I checked and apparently the Toilet paper tablets are compressed toilet paper shaped like a tablet that somehow unfolds into sheets.
amazon has them.

Seem to be marketed towards survivalists and hikers/campers and such.

VU Sponsors