Old Pharts Club

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually I never could sing songs.
Could never remember all the words....

Well that and my voice sounding like a horrible grinding crash.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can certainly understand that. It's odd to me that I like the barbecue so much, because anything else with vinegar is revolting. When I make my own barbecue, it's a lot less vinegary than what you find in restaurants, but that taste is there, just more subtle.

I'm not a fan of vinegar at all... yet I really enjoy malt vinegar (which smells identical to apple cider vinegar) on fish. I hated fish as a kid, and wasn't wild about vinegar then, either... but somehow, the combination hits me just right. I've learned to enjoy quite a few types of fish, but I'd have to say my favorite is salmon, cooked slowly in the oven with a lemon-butter-garlic sauce I make for it, served with garlic mushroom risotto and garlic bread. Nom! All that garlic, plus the salmon and the brown rice in the risotto, is enough to make your cardiovascular system SING! :D Takes a couple days to air out the kitchen, though. :giggle:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
MJ does not even touch my pain.

I'v never found it useful for pain at all -- in fact, back when I had bad menstrual cramps, it actually seemed to make them worse -- or maybe it just let me focus on the pain when I'd much rather have NOT.

It does help my insomnia and anxiety problems though... and that last is kinda funny, since it used to make me paranoid as all get out in high school. :giggle: It helps a lot, having your own home in which to partake. ;)

Andria

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
KY passed an anti opiate law 5-7 years ago.
Since then it has become almost impossible for those actually needing opiates on a maintenence basis to get them.
However in the same timeframe opiate abuse has grown tremendously.

They failed so what do they do now? Pass harsher laws restricting opiates for those who need them.

Damn knee jerk politicians.
It is currently impossible for me to legally get opiates. MJ increases my nerve pain, so that's out, and illegal. Most of the crap doctors want to prescribe either does not work, or fucks up my head so bad that I can't think.
500mg naproxen does OK, but I'm still looking for a way to remedy my nerve pain, bursitis, and sciatica in such a way that I can still think well enough to drive.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Sandi.
You got here just in time for me to say "good night all."
:blowkiss:
Good night! I had some computer crap happen. My silly anti virus decided to expire and I can't renew it because Best buy decided to stop selling the product. Screw best buy I will never ever buy anything from them again! :) (My bitch for the night). Oh, look over there! Where? I'm throwing biscuits!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is currently impossible for me to legally get opiates. MJ increases my nerve pain, so that's out, and illegal. Most of the crap doctors want to prescribe either does not work, or fucks up my head so bad that I can't think.
500mg naproxen does OK, but I'm still looking for a way to remedy my nerve pain, bursitis, and sciatica in such a way that I can still think well enough to drive.

Hi Sarah, Naproxen taken for an extended period could damage your liver, if you are going to go that route can I suggest you take a good organic detox every 6 months to flush out the build up of toxins.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yeah I take 1 or 2 grams of naproxen daily.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good night! I had some computer crap happen. My silly anti virus decided to expire and I can't renew it because Best buy decided to stop selling the product. Screw best buy I will never ever buy anything from them again! :) (My bitch for the night). Oh, look over there! Where? I'm throwing biscuits!
Good evening Sandi , Can you download a new one like AVG or Norton? Good to see you though.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Sarah, Naproxen taken for an extended period could damage your liver, if you are going to go that route can I suggest you take a good organic detox every 6 months to flush out the build up of toxins.
Just about every big pharma medicine in existence can cause liver damage. Then, you got your "organic stuff" that only the wealthy can afford. I take 2 of those naproxen per day, along with baclofen to prevent muscle spasms.

Just 2 weeks after I came out of back surgery, I was at a birthday party, when someone uttered "you're only as old as you feel". I responded " does that mean I'm 80?".

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My favorite kitty is giving me that goofy cat grin they get when you pet them extra good, lol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That will build up in your liver over time and might some day cause you lots of problems.my friend
Ahh yes I know, but until then I can live with my pain.
A trade of length of life vs quality of life.
and at least I will not be using those demonized opiates!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ahh yes I know, but until then I can live with my pain.
A trade of length of life vs quality of life.
and at least I will not be using those demonized opiates!
Defining "quality of life" could be a subject worthy of a good debate. Some folk feel that lying in bed 24/7 unable to move is a good quality life, because that person is not taking any medicine. Some folk feel that being so drugged up that they are basically lobotomized zombies is good quality life, because they feel nothing.
I'm at neither of those extremes. I have had times when I was paralyzed from the waist down. I hate wheelchairs, but I won't sell mine because I never know when I'll really need it again. My spine surgery helped me a lot. At least I can walk around a bit, and I can get out of the house and go somewhere if I want to, and not depend on someone else for a ride.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some folk feel that being so drugged up that they are basically lobotomized zombies is good quality life, because they feel nothing.
Ahh but that is an extreme drug intake situation.
Some peoiple that take pills for pain decide that they make them feel good aside from the pain so they take more.
I took opoids for 20 years. for pain not for feel good.
And when I was cut off due to KY law I suffered NO withdrawals or anything I just hurt more.
The difference is in the using and not abusing.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
another point I want to make on pain control.
If you have a damaged or otherwise bad back.
You should NOT be pain free just keep it at a manageable level.
If you feel no pain you will do stupid stuff and damage your back or other joints, etc more and perhaps wind up paralyzed.
Pain is a useful thing to prevent further damage.
No pain is only useful in my case when trying to get some rest/sleep.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Full agreement with Crom's statement here. Pain has a purpose: it is your body's way of telling you that there is a problem that needs to be tended to. In the case of Crom and I, futched spines are easily destroyed beyond your body's ability to make repairs. While I can still get hydrocodone from the VA, it is a dose that dulls the pain, but does not entirely remove the pain. If I had no reminders and managed to forget that my vertebrae are actually broken, it would only take improperly lifting one bag of grain to put me in a wheelchair for life. Pay attention to your pains and do whatever you can to repair the problem rather than just masking it with drugs. You, of course, will do whatever you want, not necessarily what we say, but we have to say it. Your body, your life, your responsibility.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was on hydrocodone for years, for the pain. I hated it. I'd get so used to a dose, that it would have to be increased. It just lost it's effectiveness too fast.
And this is coming from someone with a high enough tolerance for pain that I did not use the morphine as much as the hospital staff thought I should, just after my spine surgery.
I never expected to be pain free. I just expected it to be tolerable. One naproxen when I wake up makes the pain tolerable enough to start my day so I can get stuff done. One at night makes it tolerable enough that I can sleep.
Before the surgery, I was in so much pain that I had to have help getting out of bed in the morning. At night, it was so bad that out of 10 hours lying in bed, I might get 4 hours is actual sleep. And, that was with the hydrocodone10s.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I only mentioned hydrocodone because it is one of those opioids that Crom can no longer get. I take two of the 5/325 pills four times a day (5 mg codeine, 325 mg acetaminophen). If I had the 10s like you (Sarah) took, I would have no pain at all, but I'd probably also be stupid and do something I'd regret forever This stuff is a neurosuppressant. I started taking this stuff 18 years ago. I took a year off to prove to myself and my doctor that I was not "addicted." No withdrawal symptoms whatsoever and I tried to fill the pain gap with straight acetaminophen, which didn't do much. I did not get a lot of work done here on the farm that year because the pain was more than I could handle (no matter how tough you try to be, there is just a point where you cannot be macho enough to crawl out of the mud and keep going). Finally, I asked the doc to put me back on the hydrocodone. I have managed to get around all the side effects with dietary changes. I will not take naproxen sodium (great for inflammation pains), even though they prescribed it in higher dose than OTC, because, in the long term (besides liver), it destroys ligaments, which is part of my pain in the first place, so why take a drug that makes it worse?

I only include the following because a lot of people take a lot of drugs without ever knowing what can happen to them. Just because you can get it without a prescription, does not mean it is safe. For a list of naproxen side effects, and there are hundreds, see https://www.drugs.com/sfx/naproxen-side-effects.html . My PDR (physician's desk reference) goes a bit further, but this list is close enough.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I was on hydrocodone for years, for the pain. I hated it. I'd get so used to a dose, that it would have to be increased. It just lost it's effectiveness too fast.
And this is coming from someone with a high enough tolerance for pain that I did not use the morphine as much as the hospital staff thought I should, just after my spine surgery.
I never expected to be pain free. I just expected it to be tolerable. One naproxen when I wake up makes the pain tolerable enough to start my day so I can get stuff done. One at night makes it tolerable enough that I can sleep.
Before the surgery, I was in so much pain that I had to have help getting out of bed in the morning. At night, it was so bad that out of 10 hours lying in bed, I might get 4 hours is actual sleep. And, that was with the hydrocodone10s.

It is my observation that this is how people end up addicted to methadone. They start on hydrocodone, up and up goes the dosage. Then move to oxy, and up and up goes the dose. Finally they get moved either to fentanyl or methadone. This happened to my oldest daughter after a botched Roux en Y gastric bypass. She had a staple line failure that resulted in an ambulance ride, emergency surgery, and a stay in ICU, and then six more surgeries over about five years' time to remove surgical adhesions. Even after all that surgery she had pain that she could not bear without medication for years. Things have calmed down some now and she got herself off the opiates, but what a scary time! The pain was definitely real for her, but her entire life suffered during the time she was having to take those strong pain meds.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only mentioned hydrocodone because it is one of those opioids that Crom can no longer get. I take two of the 5/325 pills four times a day (5 mg codeine, 325 mg acetaminophen). If I had the 10s like you (Sarah) took, I would have no pain at all, but I'd probably also be stupid and do something I'd regret forever This stuff is a neurosuppressant. I started taking this stuff 18 years ago. I took a year off to prove to myself and my doctor that I was not "addicted." No withdrawal symptoms whatsoever and I tried to fill the pain gap with straight acetaminophen, which didn't do much. I did not get a lot of work done here on the farm that year because the pain was more than I could handle (no matter how tough you try to be, there is just a point where you cannot be macho enough to crawl out of the mud and keep going). Finally, I asked the doc to put me back on the hydrocodone. I have managed to get around all the side effects with dietary changes. I will not take naproxen sodium (great for inflammation pains), even though they prescribed it in higher dose than OTC, because, in the long term (besides liver), it destroys ligaments, which is part of my pain in the first place, so why take a drug that makes it worse?

I only include the following because a lot of people take a lot of drugs without ever knowing what can happen to them. Just because you can get it without a prescription, does not mean it is safe. For a list of naproxen side effects, and there are hundreds, see https://www.drugs.com/sfx/naproxen-side-effects.html . My PDR (physician's desk reference) goes a bit further, but this list is close enough.
Yep I studied the effects of naproxen and chose to take them in spite of all the problems.
Because I cannot get the opoids any more due to stupid politicians.
And Tylenol does nothing for the pain.
Tylenol also destroys your liver, esp in large doses and if you drink much alc.

Lost a friend to tylenol, drinking and liver failure years ago.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I personally think between Tylenol and Naproxen that it triggered my autoimmune response and started destroying my liver. My doctor doesn't think so. They are both off my list of pain relief. I can only take 2 Motrin's. Anything higher and it acts like a sleeping pill. Strangely, If I take hydrocodone or oxy I get hyper and I'm up for days. I don't like that feeling. Hydro does nothing for pain and oxy does help but I don't like the side effect (paradoxical reaction).

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is my observation that this is how people end up addicted to methadone. They start on hydrocodone, up and up goes the dosage. Then move to oxy, and up and up goes the dose. Finally they get moved either to fentanyl or methadone. This happened to my oldest daughter after a botched Roux en Y gastric bypass. She had a staple line failure that resulted in an ambulance ride, emergency surgery, and a stay in ICU, and then six more surgeries over about five years' time to remove surgical adhesions. Even after all that surgery she had pain that she could not bear without medication for years. Things have calmed down some now and she got herself off the opiates, but what a scary time! The pain was definitely real for her, but her entire life suffered during the time she was having to take those strong pain meds.
Hydrocodone also causes constipation. Go more than 3 days without dropping a deuce, and then you get more pain. I'm surprised they prescribed a constipation causing medicine for someone with intestinal problems.

My nerves are so messed up, that it takes a specific pain to let me know it's time to drop a deuce. That pain comes from colon pressure against the spinal nerves.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I take aspirin, gabapentin, and an occasional tramadol. If that doesn't cut it, it doesn't get cut, at least not on a consistent basis.

My pain is mostly in my knees, and it just is what it is. I've been through the rounds with the orthopedists, and all of them tell me there's nothing wrong with my knees that losing weight won't help, so they give me prescription anti-inflammatories and pain meds, and send me on my way.

Oh, one of them did recommend that I get that artificial gel junk injected into my knees. Cigna told me they'd cover it - all I would have to pay would be about $1,300 per treatment, and potentially I could need two treatments per year. That's a no-go for me.

Tramadol might as well be a Tylenol, for all the good it does. That's what some people are receiving for post-surgical pain now. I don't know how they manage. My husband and I agree that it is a worthless drug. I don't know why I even bother taking one occasionally.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And Tylenol does nothing for the pain.
Tylenol is merely a brand name for acetaminophen (those who use it regularly can save a bunch of money by buying the generic because there is no difference). Fifteen years ago, FDA decided that 4g per day was safe. Today, they have determined that anything more than 3g (that's six 500mg tablets) in a day will cause liver damage.
Hydrocodone also make me not sleep.
Exactly the opposite for me. But because it suppresses the pain (for me), I can get to sleep. Note that the majority of that pill's content is acetaminophen, and acetaminophen by itself, does not relieve my pain enough to help me get to sleep, so it obviously is the tiny amount of codeine that is doing it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hydrocodone also causes constipation
That can be countered with diet. Use xyletol (birch, not corn) as your sweetening product instead of sugar or any artificial sweetener. Not only is it antifungal (got any yeast issues?), but has a natural laxative effect. Or, if you don't use any sweeteners at all, eat something with lots of fiber, like raw carrots. As I said above, I have been on hydrocodone for 18 years and have no constipation problem.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That can be countered with diet. Use xyletol (birch, not corn) as your sweetening product instead of sugar or any artificial sweetener. Not only is it antifungal (got any yeast issues?), but has a natural laxative effect. Or, if you don;t use any sweeteners at all, eat something with lots of fiber, like raw carrots. As I said above, I have been on hydrocodone for 18 years and have no constipation problem.
I also had no constipation problems with Hydrocodone. But It is a caution on the side effects list.

Maybe it is an old Phart thing since we are so full of it...

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
another point I want to make on pain control.
If you have a damaged or otherwise bad back.
You should NOT be pain free just keep it at a manageable level.
If you feel no pain you will do stupid stuff and damage your back or other joints, etc more and perhaps wind up paralyzed.
Pain is a useful thing to prevent further damage.
No pain is only useful in my case when trying to get some rest/sleep.
Full agreement with Crom's statement here. Pain has a purpose: it is your body's way of telling you that there is a problem that needs to be tended to. In the case of Crom and I, futched spines are easily destroyed beyond your body's ability to make repairs. While I can still get hydrocodone from the VA, it is a dose that dulls the pain, but does not entirely remove the pain. If I had no reminders and managed to forget that my vertebrae are actually broken, it would only take improperly lifting one bag of grain to put me in a wheelchair for life. Pay attention to your pains and do whatever you can to repair the problem rather than just masking it with drugs. You, of course, will do whatever you want, not necessarily what we say, but we have to say it. Your body, your life, your responsibility.

Way agree with these guys

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hydrocodone also make me not sleep.

Nod nod nod... it gives me night-sweats, which I HATE. I stopped taking the bottle-full they gave me after my appendectomy, after 2 days, because the pain wasn't that bad (though the nausea was TERRIBLE -- thank GOD for phenergan!).

Still got that bottle of hydrocodone, for "just in case" -- keep 'em in the fridge, and since June 2014 when I had that surgery and took them for 2 days and then quit, I've taken exactly 2 -- one for a bad 2nd degree burn on the cuticle of one of my fingers (which hurts like a BASTARD!), one for a brief episode of back pain, which kinda comes and goes since I once partially-herniated a disc about 25 yrs ago -- it doesn't flair up often, but now and then... ouchies! But I discovered something I never expected -- this former drug-addict, recovering-alkie, no longer likes that dizzy light-headed feeling AT ALL -- both times I took one of those, I went to bed about an hour after taking it, because I couldn't bear that feeling. Really never saw THAT coming. :D But it's good news -- most normal folks (non-addicts) don't care much for that feeling either. And it's just one factor that helps me keep my recovery, knowing that even if I got weak and took a drink, I probably wouldn't much like that feeling anymore either. :) :) :)

Andria

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With all the pain meds I have taken the fact that I drink virtually no alcohol is probably the only reason my liver still works.
I usually drink one can of beer every evening. It helps me relax. I know it won't help my liver, but it helps me.

My step dad died at age 55, after drinking at least a 6 pack every day AND taking Tylenol every day. The surprise? He did not die of liver failure. He died from acute pneumonia.

When it's your turn to go, it's going to happen.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hi folks. I'm just stopping in for a quick hello tonight. Rough day, and I'm done in.

Hope you are all well, and sleep tight.

Jane

VU Sponsors