Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
GRUMBLE GRUMBLE
I'm gonna add to the grumble... been snowing here all day. This morning the wind was bad enough to call it blizzard conditions. The bare spots now have 8" of new snow with drifts over two feet deep (add that to all the crap already on the ground). The wind has now died down, but it is still snowing. I hope it is warm enough tomorrow to get the bobcat started. I am really tired of this shit.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm gonna add to the grumble... been snowing here all day. This morning the wind was bad enough to call it blizzard conditions. The bare spots now have 8" of new snow with drifts over two feet deep (add that to all the crap already on the ground). The wind has now died down, but it is still snowing. I hope it is warm enough tomorrow to get the bobcat started. I am really tired of this shit.

I can't even imagine. We occasionally have six or eight inches of snow and the world around here just goes to hell in a handbasket. Our power usually goes off, so years ago hubbs bought a generator that we can use to run the more critical things like heat and the water pump. And of course, the boob tube. Last time the power went off, it was too cold to get the generator started. Hubbs had to cover it with a fireproof tarp and put a propane camping heater under there for a while. He was finally able to get the thing started. It has been a weird winter.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oddly enough, this year has been relatively mild in terms of total snowfall. I remember a few where the drifts totally covered a row of wild plum trees, the tallest of which was 15 feet. I just got us an 8 kW generator, but I need to connect it via a disconnect so I can take main power offline while I run this entire place and the power company has yet to come out and install the cutoff switch (they refuse to let me do it, even though I am qualified). I will be keeping that generator inside the shop (it's electric start) and will vent the exhaust out through the wood stove chimney. That way it will be available at all times, all year. Summer thunderstorms have been known to knock over enough power poles to keep us without electricity for a week and we're only half a mile from the substation, while people on the other side of it went almost three months without power.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The longest-lasting power outages we've had have been because of hurricanes. When Hurricane Fran hit Raleigh in 1996, my mother was without power for three weeks. Raleigh is full of huge, old oak trees, and after that hurricane, HUNDREDS of them had just fallen over, bringing their entire root systems out of the ground. It was the biggest mess I've ever seen. Here, Hurricane Isabel kept our power off for about a week. We had just been grocery shopping and filled the freezer with food, and every bit of it was lost. Seems like I recall that's when hubbs decided to buy a generator.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For generators only use premium gas and add Star Tron Gas additive.
My generator still started first pull over 1 year with that gas and star tron in it.

Edit:
Why skimp on the gas when it may sit for quite a while before you need it?
But when you need it you need it to start and run.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The longest-lasting power outages we've had have been because of hurricanes.
Thank Dog we don't have hurricanes up here, but I am sure you have heard the terms "microbursts" and "downdrafts." These come out of severe thunderstorms and are like miniature tornadoes without the actual spout being visible. They have ripped down my flagpole twice (it is rated to withstand 100 mph) and I think the flag itself ended up in Nebraska or maybe North Dakota. I have hundreds of trees on my property and have lost all but one of our huge Cottonwoods and lots of pines, elms, etc. I think I dislike wind even more than snow, and the real bitch is when they happen together (blizzard).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used Stabil in all my small engine gas for years. And it worked fine until all gas started having some ethanol in it.
then I started having problems witrh carbs.
Heard about Startron additive and have been using it for quite a few years now in all my small engines and have not had 1 gummed up carb in any of them.

also I use only synthetic oil in my small engines.
Makes a generator so much easier to crank in the cold.
And seems to do a nice job of preventing wear.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I used Stabil in all my small engine gas for years. And it worked fine until all gas started having some ethanol in it.
I am using something called Seafoam. Ever tried that? And it is nearly impossible to find gas around here - even premium - that does not contain "up to 10% ethanol."

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am using something called Seafoam. Ever tried that? And it is nearly impossible to find gas around here - even premium - that does not contain "up to 10% ethanol."
Heard of Seafoam and have heard it is good.
Just not willing to try something else when the StarTron works great too.

yep used to be here that premium from Shell had no ethanol but then everyone started putting it in ALL grades of gas.
Ethanol is hell on carburators.
Not a problem with fuel injectors at 10% or less though.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My mechanic recommended Seafoam for my riding mower and I have been using it in everything. So far, no bad effects.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh yay. Y'all talkin' about engines, which I know nothing about.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yay. Y'all talkin' about engines, which I know nothing about.

Sorry.. But you like to keep em running don't ya?

Just thought.. I have to get a Shopvac thingy tomorrow to suck up water in the basement...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nah. Just been looking for an inexpensive 810 to 510 adapter for the hubby. He don't like big bore.

Same here I could use a couple as well but have not found them by themselves. Only with some attys...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lots of cheap ones, but my bank won't send payments to China.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not to change the subject, so this is a quickie... Jimi didn't show up here at all last night and I haven't seen him here today at all. Anyone know if he is OK? Or are our grumbles lately just scaring him off? Haven't heard from Dale either...

Lots of cheap ones, but my bank won't send payments to China.
Do you have PayPal?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not to change the subject, so this is a quickie... Jimi didn't show up here at all last night and I haven't seen him here today at all. Anyone know if he is OK? Or are our grumbles lately just scaring him off? Haven't heard from Dale either...

Do you have PayPal?
Used to. EBay and PayPal closed my accounts without notice 2 weeks after I got a notice of my 15th anniversary with them.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Nah. Just been looking for an inexpensive 810 to 510 adapter for the hubby. He don't like big bore.

Prolly but never seen them there.
But they prolly have lots of them since I just put in a FT order a few minutes ago :(

4862700 These Griffin rebuild kits come with an adaptor 810/510 adaptor, and are the cheapest ones I know of anywhere - the extra orings and stuff are handy for whatever

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have no need for such adapters. All my mods and tanks use 510s and I have no oddball devices. I am your very basic simple tootle puffer with KangerTech Protanks on little single 18650 type mods (iStick and Cloupor mini). I have no Shinyitis that requires fancy tanks or mods.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thought FT was in Shenzhen ??? My stuff from there always goes through Beijing

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have no need for such adapters. All my mods and tanks use 510s and I have no oddball devices. I am your very basic simple tootle puffer with KangerTech Protanks on little single 18650 type mods (iStick and Cloupor mini). I have no Shinyitis that requires fancy tanks or mods.
I like my 810s. He likes 510s.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I love iSticks: cheap, simple to use and reliable as they come

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
FastTech is operated by Cloud Commerce Systems Limited located in Hong Kong, but their main warehouse is strategically situated in Guangdong, China.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I love iSticks: cheap, simple to use and reliable as they come
I have an iStick30 (internal battery), 2 iStcik40 (internal battery) and 2 iStick60TC (18650). The iStick30 was purchased almost three years ago and I was told it would only last about a year (battery recharges a maximum of 300 times). It still works just fine.

VU Sponsors